Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Are you a soccer fan? Options · View
thepainter
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 10:27:29 AM

Good fighting by the US, that 3rd goal seemed legit so the referee robbed them off a victory.

Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
She
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 10:29:56 AM

Hey guys! My first time with you here at 'soccer fans'..

Did you get all loud today in first half of the game Slovenia vs. USA? I bet that was second half even louder for you evil4

How did you like the game? Let me tell you that it is 2 milion of Slovenians and I believe they did pretty good job at this World Cup 2010!
So choosing them 11 players among 2 million of us is quite a acomplishment
..anyway I am trying to say that I am proud and happy with the result of the game Applause

Enjoy World Cup!
toast

Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 10:54:04 AM

USA still looked "stumbling and bumbling", and the ref made it even harder on them, even if you remove the bad goal call. They are still my country's team, and I hope they do better, but I don't have much confidence in them, sadly.

The big surprise for me was Germany's loss.

England plays in a few hours.

It's good to see another soccer fan, She. icon_smile
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 11:07:21 AM

USA was robbed of the victory. The ref handed out some questionable yellow cards as well.

It's going to be hard for the USA now because they need Algeria to beat England and then they need to beat Algeria. Time to get lucky.

Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 11:18:13 AM

I thought the Spain match the other day was pretty entertaining. They lost and I was mad but there was a lot of action and some nice footwork. The boot to the face was pretty nice but it was a big letdown when they didn't bring out the staple gun for my enjoyment.
The Germany game was a disaster. All of those yellow cards were completely uncalled for. Now they have to go the next game without Klose. I'm still a little pissed, but Podolski losing his shirt in the end made my day. I know it made Rocco's day too.
USA was a mess but they made up for it in the end. Too bad I lost power in the middle of the second half.

I'm waiting for the England game. Hopefully they can keep their shit together better than the other teams.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 9:30:30 PM

England v Algeria was really exciting. Liar

Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 9:48:45 PM

Even the announcers were furious about that match.

I'm going to watch Denmark tomorrow because you guys said it was a good team.
nicola
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 10:32:02 PM

Oh dear, I just saw the England result. They need to win their last game, against the top team in the group.
thepainter
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 8:04:05 AM

I'm glad I stopped watching the England game after the first half. Absolutely horrible.
Well, my fellow Dutchies don't play impressive football either but they've managed to win both games. Besides us only Argentina managed to win the first 2 games as well so I'm happy about the 6 points.

In the longstanding tradition we used to play the best football at each tournament but always get eliminated in the knock-out phase. Let's hope our current team will continue to get good results and perhaps slowly improve their play on the pitch.

Magical_felix
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:57:56 PM

Good thing it was Sneijder that scored too. Build some confidence for one of your key players.

Magical_felix
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:31:59 PM

versus

Denmark 2
Cameroon 1

This was one of the most exciting games so far. Seemed like every push forward by both teams ended in a scoring chance.

thepainter
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 4:20:10 PM

Yeah good game, both teams played to win. That really helps in making it an attractive match.
Thanks to Denmark kicking ass the Netherlands are the first team to qualify for the knock-out phase. hello1

FantasyFiction
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:48:51 PM

I'm not a big football fan (You use your feet, it's football!), but I have been enjoying the World Cup. Some of the matches have been very exciting, although some of the calls (USA/Slovenia) have been questionable.

I didn't realize RSA got that cold in the winter.

Success is doing what you love, and doing it so well that someone will pay you for it.
http://www.lushstories.com/fantasyfiction
She
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 11:53:30 PM

nicola wrote:
Oh dear, I just saw the England result. They need to win their last game, against the top team in the group.

That would be my country team. First time in history of Slovenia they are first team in group! What can I say young and small country (since 1991) and they were quite lucky I would say...so no fear for England I strongly believe that they will win, but I wish of course,for Slovenian guys to score at least one time.
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:43:02 AM

I still say that ball is hard to handle. Look at how it floats. Even the announcers said the crosses are going 20 meters past where they usually go. Germany played with short, ground passes and was able to control it better.

Brazil plays tomorrow. So does Italy.
thepainter
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 10:56:58 AM

HAHAHA @ Italy!!!
Losers!

Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 11:17:37 AM

The media is having their orgasm because Italy TIED with New Zealand. Big deal; everyone knew Italy was having problems all year, especially Juventus fans. England and USA are, too.

Now onward to the Brazil game, which starts in an hour.
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 11:47:50 AM

it seems that it's mostly South American countries in the lead in most groups...
thepainter
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 2:44:21 PM

Brazil raped Ivory Coast. That 2nd goal had Fabiano use his arms twice before scoring so it shouldn't have been allowed.
Then Kaka went dumb dumb at the end and got involved in some fun riots on the field. Ah well, he didn't play that welll anyway so no big loss if he misses the final group game versus Portugal.

Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 3:01:08 PM

I hate Brazil sometimes. Did you notice how many times Brazilian players rolled around on the ground like they had been shot after the 75th minute? They always time waste in big games.

I don't know if they showed it on the broadcast you watched but after fabiano's handball and goal the ref went up to him and asked him if he used his arm and Fabiano shook his head no. If the ref didn't see it then how would he know to ask him? Bullshit coward ref. The ref even laughed it up with fabiano after he asked him.

I feel bad for Ivory coast I really wanted them to sucker punch Brazil. I hope someone else does in the round of 16.

Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 3:04:17 PM

Oh yeah, LOL at Italy.

They were givin a gift of a penalty that wasn't. They should have lost. They better hope the refs give them a few more gifts so they can have a chance in the next game.

thepainter
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:17:34 PM

The thing that might prove fatal for Brazil is how nonchalant they act once they feel they have the game in the bag. See both goals in these first 2 games. They definitely weren't concentrated anymore and didn't cover their opponents defensively anymore.
There's a chance the Netherlands might run into Brazil in the quarter finals. No idea if we would stand a chance to those short moments of Brazilian brilliance.

First we'll take on Cameroon and then anyone from the Italy/Paraguay/New Zealand/Slovakia group. Interesting bit is that if both of the final games in this group end up as draws and have equal scores then I wonder if FIFA will just draw lots. In this scenario Slovakia would be out and only Paraguay would be sure to advance since they'll be placed first. Both Italy and New Zealand would have the same number of points, goals scored, and the game between them cannot be used to pick which team gets to advance.
Hence why FIFA might draw lots in this scenario.
How bad ass it would be if this came true and Italy would get the short end of the stick! evil4
That would mean the Netherlands get to play New Zealand in the first knock-out phase game.

Hey, a man can dream! hello1

nicola
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:30:34 PM

I just read the French team all decided to sit in their bus and refuse to train because one of their players was sent home: http://g.au.sports.yahoo.com/football/world-cup/news/france-boycott-training-in-new-scandal--fbintl_reuters-au-0d60922a08e5054b288ab9dc1353b781.html laughing9
Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:39:43 PM

I was wondering about that too painter, getting eliminated like that would hurt so much. I have a feeling that in FIFA's "random" draw it will be Italy that would get lucky.

As for the French team, I think that they will regret acting the way they did about a month after the cup. World cup only comes around twice for most players. Three times if they are one of the best their country has had. Yes their coach is a dumb shit but at least play hard for your country.

I read that the French coach sometimes picks his lineup according to the players astrological signs. That would be really frustrating as a player.

nicola
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:55:34 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
I read that the French coach sometimes picks his lineup according to the players astrological signs. That would be really frustrating as a player.

I think someone's pulling your leg.
Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:08:29 PM

nicola wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:

I think someone's pulling your leg.

I saw it on two different news channels. Domenech is heavy into astrology. I heard way before the cup started that he didn't trust another player, Pires I think, because he's a Scorpio.

I'm going to try to find the article when I get back to my computer.

Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:16:09 PM

Here's one article of many that talks about Domenech's love of astrology and how it influences his decisions on the pitch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/england/2295526/Raymond-Domenech-looks-to-the-stars.html

nicola
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:22:44 PM

Wow. No wonder the team refused to get off that bus. geek
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:29:01 PM

nicola wrote:
Wow. No wonder the team refused to get off that bus. geek

wow ... this is where I wanna say .... come on kids, let's play some footie ....
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 10:41:10 PM

It must be very frustrating to be a French team player, then.

I wonder if they'll even play in the next match.

I also don't like the acting-hurt jazz. Chile did a bunch of that in the game I posted in the Youtube clip. I'm telling you, the ref was stopping play once a minute.