Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Are you a soccer fan? Options · View
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:06:23 PM

Thiery Henry joins New York Redbull...

Cool I guess but I hope MLS learns to invest in young talent instead of dinosaurs like Beckham, Blanco and Henry. I hope that one day they also learn about promotion and relegation and how valuable it is in creating loyal fanbases for teams.

Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:21:33 PM

I agree. Promotion and relegation would help teams develop markets. It's sort of happening in Montreal and Vancouver. They started off with USL teams, built up the fan base, and are now planning to enter the MLS. The MLS should make that the common progression, so that cities can slowly develop a soccer following.It's hard to do with an amatuer, or minor league team. But if you know the team could eventually be in the top league, would entice the fans more.

Toronto went after a player, Julian De Guzman, who isn't quite on the level of Henry, and Beckham, but he was playing in La Liga before they signed him, and he's only 27, so I think the league is making progress. But there's still lots of room for improvement.
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:07:24 PM

I wish MLS would recruit from other clubs, instead of colleges. Only then can they play a high standard of soccer, IMHO.
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:48:31 PM

They need to start recruiting out of highschool and middle school. Most top clubs find kids in their early teens that show promise. They need to get to them early so they can mold them into the best player they can become, weed out the bad habits and ingrain the real way to play soccer.

All the best players have been with a club since they were very very young. Christiano Ronaldo joined Sporting CP's youth academy when he was 13.

Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:55:00 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
They need to start recruiting out of highschool and middle school. Most top clubs find kids in their early teens that show promise. They need to get to them early so they can mold them into the best player they can become, weed out the bad habits and ingrain the real way to play soccer.

All the best players have been with a club since they were very very young. Christiano Ronaldo joined Sporting CP's youth academy when he was 13.

yes Felix ... so very very true.

That's why with some of these players, you see such dedication - this IS their life.

anyways ... seems like soccer has a hold on many ~ and that's WONDERFUL!

Van

Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:16:03 PM

MLS allstars vs Manchester United tonight. Man U won't have Roony or Park but it should still be an interesting watch. Main reason I'm watching is the possible debut of Man U's young new star Javier "el Chicharito" Hernandez.

Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:33:15 PM

Thanks for the info, Felix. I forgot to mention the match here. I'll keep an eye on the new guy.

Tonight, 8:30 PM, EST, ESPN2 and ESPN3
thepainter
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:34:55 AM

Oh yeah, football. Sorry, have been too busy visiting hb74 and doing all kinds of wonderful and less wonderful things. evil4

Anyway, Spain won deservedly even though the tight loss hurt quite a bit. Don't think we'll get that close again in a long time. Oh well.

Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 9:14:57 AM

thepainter wrote:
Oh yeah, football. Sorry, have been too busy visiting hb74 and doing all kinds of wonderful and less wonderful things. evil4

Anyway, Spain won deservedly even though the tight loss hurt quite a bit. Don't think we'll get that close again in a long time. Oh well.

Glad you are alive and enjoying life, Painter .... some of us had thought you might have STILL been wallowing in your disappointment. So happy you found an alternative that was .... wayyyyy better!

Van
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 9:17:36 AM

What do you all think of the new, young Man. U Mexican player? I think he shows a lot of promise.

Coupled with Rooney, or without him, it might be what they need to go past Chelsea this year.

What other good signings have taken place?
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 10:47:23 AM

I think the new season starts next week, so what are your favorites? Has your opinion of some teams changed, due to World Cup? What new signings have you heard?
Magical_felix
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 12:25:03 PM

roccotool wrote:
What do you all think of the new, young Man. U Mexican player? I think he shows a lot of promise.

Coupled with Rooney, or without him, it might be what they need to go past Chelsea this year.

What other good signings have taken place?

I didn't even realize anyone had responded sorry for the delayed post.

But yeah I'm starting to think Javier Hernandez is going to be the real deal. He has scored in every friendly he has played so far. He even scored with his old team in a friendly against man u where he played one half for each team. He scored in the community shield game too, hopefully Ferguson gives him a chance in the big games.

I watched Chelsea score 6 damn goals in their first match yesterday. A still not 100% drogba got a hat trick...

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 7:03:56 PM

I think I saw Hernandez score in the Man U. vs. MLS game. He looks very promising.
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:31:02 PM

being almost 50 and growing up in the U S soccer wasn't very big then.....I still prefer american football....but I so watch some of the world cups matches ....
mercianknight
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 12:45:09 PM

Hernandez looks like another astute acquisition for ManU by SAF cussing cussing

My team, Arsenal FC, were lucky to steal a point from Liverpool but it's early days. We play Blackpool tomorrow hello1

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:16:57 PM

mercianknight wrote:

My team, Arsenal FC, were lucky to steal a point from Liverpool but it's early days. We play Blackpool tomorrow hello1

I like arsenal too. I really hope it's not more of the same this year. They need to at least make it to second place in the league or go really deep in the champions league so their fans don't lose anymore faith in them.

Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:20:40 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
mercianknight wrote:

I like arsenal too. I really hope it's not more of the same this year. They need to at least make it to second place in the league or go really deep in the champions league so their fans don't lose anymore faith in them.

For the love of mmmmm make the man go DEEP LOL my ex husband laughed so much when I used to giggle at that phrase ha ha LOL
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:22:44 PM

mercianknight wrote:

ha ha was thinking of going to Blackpool beach this weekend, whoooooo roller coaster and wet rainy day's on the beach LOL
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:23:59 PM

All I need now is a long sausage to go deep with ha ha LOL
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:24:35 PM

HoneyBee000 wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:
mercianknight wrote:

For the love of mmmmm make the man go DEEP LOL my ex husband laughed so much when I used to giggle at that phrase ha ha LOL

sad3

Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:26:01 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
HoneyBee000 wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:
mercianknight wrote:

sad3

Wow, it took you a long time to click that icon!

glasses8
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:29:22 PM

I had to find just the right one that most closely resembled my real life reaction.

icon_smile

LadyX
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:29:50 PM

Question- is there a big difference between English soccer and World Cup Soccer? I thought it was kind of exciting, but the jacked up refereeing and fake injuries turned me off of it. Is it the same problem in English league, or are they better about it? I did have some fun following it while I did, and I think they play some of those games on TV here. Might think about following it, especially since my NFL team fucking sucks.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:34:08 PM

The English league is a lot rougher than international soccer like the world cup. The ref doesn't whistle everytime a player touches another and the play is pretty fast. English teams like chelsea and Manchester united could wipe the floor with most of those world cup teams.

LadyX
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:41:10 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
The English league is a lot rougher than international soccer like the world cup. The ref doesn't whistle everytime a player touches another and the play is pretty fast. English teams like chelsea and Manchester united could wipe the floor with most of those world cup teams.

Sold! LOL.

Now I need to pick a team, then.
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:02:08 AM

Arsenal and Manchester United play in 8 hours, different opponents.
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:57:41 AM

Good game with Manchester U. vs. Fulham. With minutes before the end of the game, Fulham did an own goal, giving Man. U. the lead, then the same guy that did that scored for Fulham, tieing the game up.

It was fast paced and exciting.

What match(es) did you watch?
Rembacher
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 12:02:13 PM

I watched West Ham vs Bolton. West Ham absolutely dominated the first half, but couldn't score, and Bolton made them pay in the second. Final score was 3-1 for the Wanderers.
Magical_felix
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:47:48 PM

I saw the man u game too. It was a good one. I was hoping hernandez would of seen more of the ball, ferguson is going to have some tough choices to make for his starting forwards this season.

I saw the west ham game too. The kid Barrera looked pretty fierce. He's going to be good once he settles into the rhythm of the premiership.

The Chelsea game was another turkey shoot too. 12 goals in two games played now...

Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:10:39 PM

Even with a revamped lineup, Juventus has some growing pains. The front needs more practice and the back has holes.

Bari 1, Juventus 0