Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Health Care Options · View
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:06:22 PM

All the supporters of Univerasal Health. I have just one question for your what is the one program the goverment runs well? Certainly not Social Security or Medicare.

I guess I have a second question also. How many of the supporters of Univeral Care when you are diagnosed with a life threatening illness, want to go to Europe or Asis to me treated?
LadyX
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:12:48 PM

WHR43 wrote:
All the supporters of Univerasal Health. I have just one question for your what is the one program the goverment runs well? Certainly not Social Security or Medicare.

I guess I have a second question also. How many of the supporters of Univeral Care when you are diagnosed with a life threatening illness, want to go to Europe or Asis to me treated?

Well, if it's a matter of what I 'want'...I don't want to get a life threatening illness at all, and if I did, yes I'd want it to be half-way convenient to get effective treatment. But since you mention Europe and Asia, the world's top 29 countries for quality of health care are within those two continents, so I guess I could do worse, right? By definition, I'd be doing worse to stay here in the US than i would to be in Europe or Asia right now, as far as health care is concerned- unless you count Mayo Clinic and other world-class hospitals that I'd never be able to afford anyway. But let's be real, universal health care would allow somebody like me to get treated in the first place, which is better than getting no treatment, or sending myself into bankruptcy in the case that I go to a public hospital for whatever bottom-level treatment they give to those of us with no insurance.

For the wealthy in the world, this isn't even an issue, of course I'd want to go where treatment is best, but that's not an option- it's the middle and the bottom rungs that feel the quality, good and bad, of available health care.

I do realize government doesn't succeed in everything it does- some people say it succeeds in doing very little, and as much as I don't trust government at all, even I think that's taking the argument a little too far.
Rembacher
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 2:13:24 PM

WHR43 wrote:

I was too young to remember, but I know my family was quite happy to stay in Canada and take advantage of our universal healthcare system for my cancer treatment, as I've mentioned before. 25 years later, I still have a clean bill of health. But maybe you don't consider cancer to be life threatening.

As for what my government has done well, I honestly don't know of a program that I would say they should cancel. I think the Canada Child Tax Benefit program is an excellent program to help lower income families deal with the costs of raising a child. Every program, government run or not, has room for improvement, but please don't forget that this is an international site, and a discussion on universal health care, not whether the US government is effective at governing.
DamonX
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 4:47:27 PM

Canada's health care system is definately not perfect. It pisses me off every day. It is expensive and and it pisses me off when I see people abusing it. (practicioners and patients). But...the abuses are far greater in our privately run portions. In the public....you get what you need. Whether that be a cortisone injection, and x-ray or open heart surgery. In the private...you get more than you need, because profits need to be maximixed and the practicioners will bleed the insurance companies dry to get their fill. These insurance companies then tighten the leash and look for loop holes in order to prevent paying out insurance money for care for their customers. As I said before, the pursuit of profit makes for a very bad standard or care. And this is what is happening every day in the US system on a larger scale. The difference is...in the US this costs lives.

Most MDs here also get paid by the patient instead of salary, which is a terrible idea in my opinion.

I would never say that the US needs to get a system just like Canada. But they definately need to do something about the 50 million people that can't get basic care. I find it odd that the most economically powerful nation on Earth would let 1/6 of its population go without basic health care.

Quote:
How many of the supporters of Univeral Care when you are diagnosed with a life threatening illness, want to go to Europe or Asis to me treated?

Once again, the issue is not the quality of care for those that can afford it, but the lack of care for those that don't.

I'm still a little confused as to the arguments of the anti-universal health care faction. Aside from the anti-government paranoia, what exactly are your reasons? Is it simply a selfish individualism? "Well, I'm covered so to hell with everyone else." ?

Could you imagine if law enforcement was privatized? "Ooops, sorry sir. I know that you're being held at gunpoint right now but your insurance plan doesn't cover armed robbery with a 9mm. Sorry."

Ridiculous right? I agree. icon_smile