Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

An After Life? Options · View
sundancekid
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:13:10 AM

LadyX wrote:
sundancekid wrote:

Err where have you seen me attack anyone?? I have clearly stated, it's a debate?? if this is not clear it should be now?? If people cant handle a debate then maybe they should lock the entire forum everyone is over 18?? NOBODY is here to agree with everyone! and please do not tell me cool it if you dnt like my post then simply ignore it.

Whether it's really a debate is debatable.geek The deal is this- we've got a lot of potentially heated topics on forum, and we're being allowed to discuss them because tempers and attacks haven't been happening. Maybe you're not 'attacking' anyone, but being argumentative and trying to provoke responses isn't going to end well for any of us. Those that want to get involved, and there are several of us, will do so on their own.

Otherwise, like Jillicious said, they'll lock the thread, and crack down on controversial topics altogether. If we play nice, the sandbox stays open. glasses8

Fair does! Understand.
sundancekid
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:19:42 AM

Right tips hat to all, ill no longer be responding or writing in this thread. Feel free to message me if if you wish to continue it. Hate mail will be laughed at.
DamonX
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:47:22 PM

seems like I missed all the fun. :( Damn, this working is really interfering with my lush forum posting!

Quote:
I think atheists are the biggest hypocrites of all.....it's an easy way out saying I dnt conform, but they do conform because they pay taxes and live the law's we live, there is no such thing as a true atheist just people who love to argue against rather than actually adding anything of value.

At the risk of "flaming" this subject further...I'd like to ask how atheists are hypocrites? According to your comment, it seems you might have a tentative grasp on the whole concept of atheism. It has absolutely nothing to do with conforming. It merely indicate that a person does not believe in a deity. I don't believe in trolls either...does that make me an a-trollist. I guess I'm an a-fairieist, an a-unicornist and an a-goblinist as well!

I would say more, but I think that littlemissbitch and sweetbitch have covered the bases nicely.
Playmale
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:22:53 PM

I still think this thread was pretty cool to begin with because we were stating our own beliefs without need to defend, or critisize each other. Just to have eachother give our perspective, and to all respect that we each have arrived at our own beliefs through the experience we are living is pretty cool and shows the high caliber of people that post here.
She
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:35:15 PM

Playmale wrote:
I recently read a book called Journey of Souls. It is an accounting of a hypnotherapist who was doing past life regressions with people and realized that his subjects had memories in between lives. So he started doing investigations and chronicled experiences and insights.

It's an awesome read and describes a real order and kind of structure to the universe. It matches the description of the afterlife given by those who have had "Near Death Experiences" or been clinically dead and rescuissitated, at least through the glimpse of it they have had.

The descriptions seem to make sense to me. There are explainations of psychic phenomina that make sense, there are other examples and phenomena that fit with this theory. It kind of says we come here to experience certian things, and we select the key events in our lives. That kind of changes the whole responsibility, revenge, victim, perspective of many of the major experiences in our lives.

One of the common features is the life review. We see the whole of our life, every detail, instantaneously. It is not to judge, except by ourself, and we are judging how we grew, or reacted in situations.

Death is a release from the physical body we are inhabiting, and a return to the spirit that is our true self.

I like it. we don't need to crucify anyone over it. We don't need to have a crusade to convince people. We just need to experience the life we have chosen and grow from it.

I read this book you are talking about, it helped my family and me to survive our tragedies and I do agree with you and with your conclusions.

Piquet
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:20:21 AM

While the romantic me would like to believe in an aferlife, the rational me is looking increasingly sceptical about it.

I think this question comes down to whether we believe that there is such a thing as 'the soul' or whether it is really our mind and consciousness. The mind slows with age and our senses fade so are we to believe that all our faculties are somehow miraculously restored in 'Heaven' or 'Hell'?

When we bleed, each of our blood cells is alive and can continue to live and function in the body of another person. Do each of these cells have a soul? Does the heart that can be transplanted or the kidney? I very much doubt it.

But there are different degrees of consciousness too. Plants live but are they conscious of their own existence? Animals are but most of them seem to be ignorant of mortality. So where on the scale of consciousness are humans? I am willing to believe that we might go from one level to another. But if it is a higher or a lower level, who is to say?

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/claudia-incarnatapart-vii.aspx
DamonX
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:32:33 PM

Lets move this to the think tank????

icon_smile
mercianknight
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 6:36:43 AM

I place myself firmly in the camp of the Agnostics - not convinced by the somewhat regimented disciplines of organised religions, but still not convinced that there is not a God.

Why?

From an early age I became disillusioned with the rigidity of the catholic church, although I embraced the 'christian values' as my guide. To me, the afterlife was defined as the memories and deeds that we left behind. Our legacy and the thoughts of those left behind constituted my rational minds only way there could be an afterlife.

Then, during a particularly traumatic time in my mothers life, I witnessed my Nan comforting my mother, her daughter, sobbing in her sleep. Problem was, my Nan had been dead for a year.

Oh yeah, baby, there is definitely something greater at work in the universe than anything we can imagine.

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 7:10:53 PM

mercianknight wrote:

Then, during a particularly traumatic time in my mothers life, I witnessed my Nan comforting my mother, her daughter, sobbing in her sleep. Problem was, my Nan had been dead for a year.

Oh yeah, baby, there is definitely something greater at work in the universe than anything we can imagine.

I've been through similar experiences. Atheists and scientists would have you believe you imagined it, or dreamed it. For me, I believe differently. I believe "There are more things in heaven and earth... than are dreamt of in your philosophy..."
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 8:06:16 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
mercianknight wrote:

I've been through similar experiences. Atheists and scientists would have you believe you imagined it, or dreamed it. For me, I believe differently. I believe "There are more things in heaven and earth... than are dreamt of in your philosophy..."

um, scuse me mrnudie..im an atheist and i got chills when i read that. i fully believe he saw that. but maybe im just not a good atheist ;)
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 8:25:54 PM

Great debate hello1 happy1
LusciousLola
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 8:45:14 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
mercianknight wrote:

My beliefs tend to run similarly to those of these gentlemen. I have had a few incidents in my life that lead me to believe that there has to be some sort of an afterlife.
Several months ago I read a book called, "Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences by Jeffrey Long MD". He did scientific studies on near death experiences. Some of the observations were scenes that could not possibly have been seen by the "patient". One example, that I can remember, the "patient" observed the goings on at the nurses station. The nurses station happened to be down the corridor. I found the book to be very compelling. Here is a link to a website where I believe you can look at some of the cases of these experiences. http://www.nderf.org/
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 4:55:43 AM

Hey RX, you opened a can of worms here! Well done.

I've just read the whole thread from the start. I won't comment one way or the other on the afterlife think because in common with every othere human on the planet, scientist or monk, I haven't a clue!

I think that in this matter, like almost all other debates, we believe what we want to believe. We read books that support what we want to believe. We fit ourselves into socail groups who believe in roughy the same things. We dismiss scientific facts that don't support our beliefs (look at the global warming debate to see that). We vote for politicians who conform to our preconcieved beliefs and dismiss those who argue an opposite point of view.

The power of belief is and always has been very very powerful. How many millions of people have been killed or are suffering because or beliefs? Religion is one of the biggest causes of war and strife in the history of the earth.

Our biggest failing as humans is that we mix belief with fact until the distinction is blurred, then we act. But are we acting on fact or belief?

I believe that every human life is a miracle and should be celebrated. But is it a miracle of science or a divine being? I have absolutely no idea, but I don't sweat about it. There are 100 billion stars in the Milky Way. There are hundreds of billions of other galaxies out there in our universe - more than all the grains of sand on the earth - and who knows what lies beyond that. So however important a human life is, it is still the tiniest speck in the grand scheme of things. I believe the scientists who told us that it all started from nothing. One millisecond there was nothing, the next milllisecond, it was all there and expanding at rates that are incomprehensible to the human mind. I don't understand it, any more than anyone else. Was it created by a divine being and why? Does he/she/it sit on a big throne in judgement of which of us puny specks of universal life deserve to enter the good place and who will not. I personally don't believe so, but I don't know. What I don't do is beat myself up about it. I just get on trying to live my life the best way I can and I try to interact with my infinitessimally small corner of the universe in a way that makes my existence as worthwhile as possible. I believe that what I believe will not make the slightest bit of difference to the universe, only to me.

And guys, before you get too carried away with what you read in books, remember the authors wrote them to make money. They knew that there would be plenty of people out there ready to soak it up because they want to believe what is written inside.

So is there life after our existence in our little corner of the universe? I have absolutely no idea, but that will make no difference to what I do today or tomorrow and perhaps one day I will find out, but that will be whole new adventure if it happens and if it doesn't, no sweat. Hopefully someone will remember me here and say that in my own way, i made a difference.