Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Should steroids be allowed in sports? Options · View
DamonX
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:51:45 PM

In the current day, the use of steroids has gained quite a bit of publicity in many popular sporting events. While being "outed" as a steroid user generally leads to career death and ostracization by the general public, the prolific use of anabolic substances is well known and generally accepted by those in inner circles of many popular athletic competitions. (Olympics, UFC, MLB...etc)

Ben Johnson tested positive for anabolic steroids in the Seoul Olympics in 1988 and had his gold medal stripped, along with becoming one of the most notorious sport-related pariahs in history. Carl Lewis then was awarded the gold, despite the fact that he was known to be taking steroids as well (along with every other 100m sprinter from that time until now).

Should we continue with this charade, as doctors and testing methods continue their seemingly enternal "arms race" type struggle in order to try and constantly outdo each other. Or should we open the flood gates and get it all out in the open?

Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:18:26 PM

From my personal experience - my first husband was on that Canadian Olympic Track Team with Ben Johnson. (and having met Ben ... a bit lacking in the smarts category)

What a complete Farce and Disgrace to the Olympic community (a community that had always prided itself on the Amateur against Amateur status). Where some of these athletes compete against each other; and then to find that some use Steroids and other have such incredible monetary backing in order to focus 100% on their sport and perform for their Country.

Oh, and let me not get into the professional athletes partaking in an amateur event as the Olympics grrr

My husband was #3 in the country in his event. He qualified for the Canadian team in Seoul. He was the ONLY person on the T&F team that held down a full-time job (as a special titanium welder) and was sponsored by the government to perform for Canada at a payment of $250 a month! wow!!

ooops .... that was a bit of a tangent.

Back to Ben and the Juice - what ever happened to sports for the organic athlete??

I am so not interested in watching sports where the Juice makes you nuts and aggressive and is a lie.

So not interested.

To the athlete that astounds us with his dedication and determination and performs with grace and agility - Show us what you have, without enhancements. That's the guy I would rather cheer on and support ....

Van

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:04:35 PM

I can see the arguments for both sides to this. In an ideal world, I think competition should be on a level playing field. Steroids tilt the favour to one athlete over the other.

But who could argue that athletes such as Lance Armstrong and Michael Phelps aren't already at an advantage just based on biology alone? Certain athletes process lactic acid faster, have larger lung capacities, faster arm rotations, and longer than average arm-spans for propelling through water. I think it can be argued that in order to be a sports superstar, you have to have at least one freak of nature that will put you at an advantage. So automatically, even without steroid use, it's not "just" about the training/dedication that leads to success. Genetics/biology already creates a non-level playing field.

On the other hand, I don't think everyone should just accept steroid use and open things up where people can take whatever they want. We all know this kind of system will lead to extreme abuses and probably more deaths as athletes are encouraged to push beyond even the norm of what steroid use was intended for.

I hate roids personally. I think they have very negative effects on those that use/abuse them. I think that keeping them "formally banned" is still the only answer. Even if they are still being used, I assume it forces people to jump through more hoops to access/use them and avoid getting flagged with testing... and I think that's probably still preferable to openly accepting them.

I do think it's a shame for those that get crucified when they get busted for steroid use. The media loves to make an example of them, and we are supposed to believe that these are the only "villains" in the game. No, they were just dumb enough to get caught. And Van, having also met Ben Johnson... I totally agree with your assessment! LOL Definitely a bit uhmm.. "lacking". evil4

DamonX
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:22:26 PM

I tend to agree. I think completely allowing steroid use will open up a whole can of worms and lead to mass abuses and possible negative health effects. I just find it a bit dumb that some offenders are crucified while other offenders are ignored simply because they haven't been "outed" yet.

And where do we draw the line? What substances are deemed "performance-enhancing" enough to be illegal? I mean, pseudoephedrine (a common component of sinus medication) is banned in the olympics since it is a mild stimulant. Should we bann caffeine as well? What about creatine or protein supplementation? EPO and blood doping are disallowed, but athletes can train at high altitudes to increase hemoglobin levels in their blood, which has similar effects. Where do we draw the line? Don't we all want to see people hit home runs and run the 100m in 9 seconds?

Some people are misguided and think that doing steroids will turn a shitty athlete into a great athlete, but that is not the case. It just gives the great athletes a chance to be a little bit better.

And the over-popularized negative effects of roids have also been greatly exagerated. Things like "roid rage", "bitch tits" and testicular atrophy are actually quite rare. With most anabolic steroid users, the worst side effect they encounter is back acne.

We can keep the regulations, but don't get bent out of shape when your favorite superstar makes a minor mistake, takes the wrong masking agent on the wrong day, and then gets nabbed for using "illegal substances."
Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:29:23 PM

I had heard a story that Ben Johnson was asking for a rematch of the 1988 100m race, arguing that since that time, every single runner from that finals race has tested positive for a performance enhancing drug. We all know it's a publicity stunt idea to make a little money, but when you can look back and say that every single runner did it, then it is a little unfair that Ben Johnson is hated so much more than the rest.

As for whether steroids, blood doping, and any other performance enhancing drug should be used in sports, I would say yes, because it is really just entertainment, and if someone wants to risk their long term health for millions of dollars, they should be welcome to do so.

The problem is kids. And I'm not saying it in the bullshit "athletes are role models" way. I'm saying it in the sense that there are millions of kids who grow up with aspirations of being a professional athlete. And since a lot of professional sports careers start at 18, if you are going to show you have what it takes, you have to be at that level at least a year before, therefore be using steroids at the age of 17, or even 16. That's too young, and there are too many kids that age that think they have a shot, but don't.

When I tore my rotator cuff at the age of 15, my dreams of playing pro baseball died. But I still played with and against players who thought they had a shot, and would have done anything to make it. That's too young to decide whether your shot is realistic enough to risk your health for it. Better to ban them completely, than to have to try and decide when the kids trying to get in to these sports are old enough to take the drugs.
lyonking
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 1:28:54 AM

No
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 2:32:15 PM

I would say no because it would have to be everyone or no one using them, otherwise trophies and medals would always be won by the Steroid users. Those who were concerned about their health and did not indulge in the use of drugs would always finish poorly compared with the users.

At least keeping sport free of drugs would provide a level playing field among competitors that only differed according to the competitors natural ability or training methods.

Weavindreams
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 2:59:51 PM

NO, rules exist to protect athletes as well as to promote fairness. Steroids destroy BOTH!

xxxcassiexxx
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 6:35:52 AM

quite simply no if you have to take drugs to win then you shouldn't be competing in the first place

no this aint the same as steroids in sports but it has the same meaning... im a british stockcar racing fan and all the drivers used to use tyre softener which helped to make the surface and lover layers of rubber on the tyres softer to give them better grip but some people used far to much and it made it unfair so the sports rule makers said ok from now on tyre softener is banned anyone caught using it will be given a 1 month ban from racing but drivers complained about it so they then came back and said ok its allowed but only if your tyres measure such and such a reading when we do durometer tests before and after the races end result drivers still got to use a form of cheating to win races

the eyes are watching
jeremiahbull
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 10:26:03 PM

Taking steroids, like any other illegal drug is a personal choice. Given my libertarian philosophy, I do not believe the government needs to determine what we should or should not put in our bodies. In my sport of powerlifting there are federations that ban steroids and federations that allow them. As a matter of fact there are so many federations with so many different rules and interpretations and gear allowances if has become a farce. If you want to juice just be honest about it and compete in a federation that allows it. What I abhor is a lifter that chooses to juice then competes in a tested federation and tries to get away with it. Which is basically what the juicers in the big time professional sports are doing. Way too many of our "heroes" suffer from a serious lack of integrity.
Twofish1way
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 8:51:17 AM

Hell no. Should cocaine be allowed? It is a dangerous drug. Many awful, life threatening side effects. I have seen first hand the damage they do. I should have read the entire question!!! If a man can't do it with brawn, brains, and talent he doesn't deserve to make 30 million a year. I teach professional athletes yoga, and have debated this w many of them. Most agree w me.
ColletteXx
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 10:17:22 AM

Perhaps there should be two competitions, one for clean athletes and one for steroid-addled idiots :)
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 10:25:44 AM

Twofish1way wrote:
Hell no. Should cocaine be allowed? It is a dangerous drug. Many awful, life threatening side effects. I have seen first hand the damage they do. I should have read the entire question!!! If a man can't do it with brawn, brains, and talent he doesn't deserve to make 30 million a year. I teach professional athletes yoga, and have debated this w many of them. Most agree w me.

Not sure if it was just a slip but you should have used the term "Athletes" rather than men as females also use drugs. Sorry for being picky!
dpw
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 2:15:01 PM

LittleLuce wrote:

Not sure if it was just a slip but you should have used the term "Athletes" rather than men as females also use drugs. Sorry for being picky!

I'm old enough to remember when sex tests were brought in. The Press "sisters" from Russia went into retirement immediately.
Even now, there are records that still stand that are obviously odd. Jarmila Kratochvilova's 800m record has stood for over 30 years and Flo Jo's record couldn't even be beaten by Marion Jones, a self confessed drug cheat. Her 100m record has stood for 25 years and she's 0.2 seconds faster than any other woman.
Twofish1way
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 8:14:48 AM

ColletteXx wrote:
Perhaps there should be two competitions, one for clean athletes and one for steroid-addled idiots :)

Those idiots are already in a competition; it is called live to look good or die trying.
Twofish1way
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 8:17:05 AM

LittleLuce wrote:

It was a slip as I work with athletes of both sexes. I just see more men using steroids. Women get fat! Men get bulk. Never heard of a woman taking them.
HotLittleMoments
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 9:09:36 AM

No.

Ambrose
alliet14
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 1:22:47 PM

Weavindreams wrote:
NO, rules exist to protect athletes as well as to promote fairness. Steroids destroy BOTH!

Simple but accurate statement.

Chrissy123
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 8:53:55 PM

I have read that steroid use could lead to depression, even suicide for some. Why risk it if the side effects can be deadly?

kiera
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 9:05:57 PM

No not as far as im concerned they should not be allowed
Buz
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 8:55:45 PM

Using steroids is cheating.

Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 1:42:25 PM

Chrissy123 wrote:
I have read that steroid use could lead to depression, even suicide for some. Why risk it if the side effects can be deadly?

Plus Liver and kidney damage
elitfromnorth
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:21:20 PM

Some people are born with a certain genetic advantage, however this advantage is just the foundation. It does not mean that you will get anywhere without tons of training and hard work. They say that for you to even be near top level in any sport it's on average 10 000 hours of training, and that goes for those that dominates sports as well. To take an example look at Petter Northug Jr. There was no doubt he was the best cross country skier in the world. He could do sprints and he could do the 50 kilometer, however last season he had a bit of a long summer holiday, didn't train all that well and had a bit of an illness and what was the result? Complete and utter failure in Sotsji. Not a single medal. It goes to show that even the top ones like Michael Phelps needs to put in as much work as the silver medalist, maybe even more, to stay on top.

Secondly, what sort of society will we be promoting if we allow cheating in sports? Sure, it's just entertainment(for us), but what moral does that bring to the next generation? Why shouldn't kids be allowed to cheat on tests and exams? Do we really want to send the signal that you can reach the top, get those A's or whatever it is, without putting all the effort into it? Besides all the medical complications we would be on the road to failure as a society should we do this. How can we honestly say "Cheating in this situation is ok, but not in that situation." It's a double standard that I truly believe will bring on the decadence of our society.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
SixtyMinuteMan
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 10:11:20 AM

All I can say is that the people who advocate legalizing PEDs don't have athlete kids. Deathly afraid of the choices that are going to be in front of my son over the next few years.

We have the ability to test, we just don't always have the will. Biological passports can and should be required at all professional and upper amateur levels (college sports in the US, Olympic sports, etc).