Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

If this were your site, where would you draw the line regarding allowed content? Options · View
nicola
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:18:28 AM

I check other story sites occasionally, and this story was the first on the list, submitted to a site which is currently #1 in google for "sex stories":

"15 Year Old Melissa's Rape"

That wouldn't be allowed here. Nor would anything violent, underage, drugged or involving Fido.

I've read stories at another site recently too, and they don't censor (ugly word) at all. Anything goes. They have snuff stories, gang rape, murder, all kinds of violent and downright foul things which quite honestly turn my stomach.

So, my question to you, if this were your site, where would you draw the line in terms of acceptable content? I go with my own moral compass. If it's too vanilla for some, then sobeit.

How about you?
savanna
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:34:01 AM

This is all I have to say.

MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:22:36 AM

For one thing, everyone has their own moral compass, and that's all you have to guide you through life. If someone wants to read stories about violence, rape underage kids being forced into sex... I'm sure there's a place where he can find them. Speaking just for myself, I'm glad that place isn't here. I'm glad that there's a site online where I can go and NOT be bombarded with stories I'd rather not read.
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:33:55 AM

Using your own moral compass is a good place to start as any. As you and several Lush people have mentioned about the poular incest stories is that not going to far as well?????
I suppose the reason that these web-sites are around is that the person who set up that writing web-site, may have set it up for that reason that they where into such things that would turn the stomach's of Lush. That's all I have to say on this matter at the moment, I have other thoughts in my head about it, but don't feel I can put them into words at the moment.

Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:34:25 AM

Never thought this is a phrase I would ever utter in my adult life but I completely agree with Mr. Nudiepants
nicola
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:46:01 AM

The incest topic keeps coming up, and to clear things up, here's my view on it.

Lots of subjects are considered illegal, however that's not why I disallow them here. A few people have been up in arms recently that I allow incest stories, but not stories about 12 year old Tabitha and her canine friend.

Why not? The incest stories here are always between consenting adults, pure and simple. There's no force or drugs or anything untoward involved in those stories.
mercianknight
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:23:04 AM

I love Nicola's moral compass, it's what keeps me coming back....so now you know who to blame evil4

Seriously, Nudie says it all for me.

If, for any reason, the Lushy police are second guessing themselves (which you should NOT), just compare the forums, interactions of members of other sites to the almost 'family' atmosphere we have here. We squabble, we bitch, we debate, and like a family, we make up and forgive (mostly). I have obviously checked out other story sites and can honestly say, that, in an area where the line we tread is often very fine, Lush has got it right for me.

The issues raised re allowing incest stories (not my thing so I do NOT read them) but not other sicko (Ooops! That's my moral compass kicking in - sorry) topics like underage sex or beastiality have been discussed and explained before and I am very happy with the rationale. Let it go. Enjoy what we have.

Thanks Nicola and thanks to all you guys and gals that do your thing behind the scenes here at Lush.

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
LadyX
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:47:42 AM

I think the responses so far are skirting around the question. It's not a 'thumbs up/thumbs down' on how happy you are with the way Nicola runs the site.

The question is: where would you place the limits if it was your site and your decision?

If it were Xstories.com and not Lushstories.com: I think I would keep incest, mostly because more content equals a wider net to catch surfers with, and either there are more incest fans than of other stories, or they are just more inclined to vote than others, because those stories get a lot of action from readers. I never understood why others would go out of their way to bitch about content: if you don't like it don't read it. If you're so butthurt about the fact that it exists on a site that you frequent, then either get over yourself or leave. Its just beyond my ability to understand, maybe.

I also think that if it were my decision, I'd relax the rules on violence in stories. Like any subject, there are great examples and terrible examples of violence in writing. But, like sex, physical conflict is a powerful thing in a story. My own moral compass doesn't have any issue with it- and more than once I've abandoned a story idea or gone back for a long re-write because the story I had involved violence, which is pretty much zero-tolerance here. It limited my choices, and in my opinion, hurt the story. Does a site that allows violence run the risk of alienating or offending some readers? Yes, but no more than the flack that Nicola probably already gets about incest, and a nice disclaimer saying something to the effect of "these stories may contain graphic sexual and/or violent scenarios, read at your own risk", then you have done all you can do, and you've allowed readers more leeway to write stories.

If it were my call, I would keep sexual content to just humans/humans or humans/objects. I think I'd draw the line at sex with animals.

I'm not sure if I would allow rape and non-consent stories or not, but I think I would. On most days, I tend to be sure that I would, but sometimes I waffle on that a little bit. Maybe this is an example where my personal thoughts and experiences influence me, because generally speaking, I'd like to give writers as much freedom to explore whatever sexual subject they would like....if it were Xstories.com.
Rembacher
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:29:44 AM

LadyX wrote:
I also think that if it were my decision, I'd relax the rules on violence in stories. Like any subject, there are great examples and terrible examples of violence in writing. But, like sex, physical conflict is a powerful thing in a story. My own moral compass doesn't have any issue with it- and more than once I've abandoned a story idea or gone back for a long re-write because the story I had involved violence, which is pretty much zero-tolerance here. It limited my choices, and in my opinion, hurt the story. Does a site that allows violence run the risk of alienating or offending some readers? Yes, but no more than the flack that Nicola probably already gets about incest, and a nice disclaimer saying something to the effect of "these stories may contain graphic sexual and/or violent scenarios, read at your own risk", then you have done all you can do, and you've allowed readers more leeway to write stories.

If it were my call, I would keep sexual content to just humans/humans or humans/objects. I think I'd draw the line at sex with animals.

I'm not sure if I would allow rape and non-consent stories or not, but I think I would. On most days, I tend to be sure that I would, but sometimes I waffle on that a little bit. Maybe this is an example where my personal thoughts and experiences influence me, because generally speaking, I'd like to give writers as much freedom to explore whatever sexual subject they would like....if it were Xstories.com.

I share Xuani's opinion on the violence issue. Violence occurs in real life, and so it should also appear in realistic stories. Whether it's the macho, almost barbaric two muscular men fighting for a woman, or just the knight in shining armour kicking the shit out of the bad guys to rescue the damsel in distress. (maybe not so realistic, but still a good fantasy) Like Xuani, I also waffle on the rape issue. I've talked to women here who have a rape fantasy, including at least one who was raped before, and yet still fantasized about the total loss of control. If it were my site, I think I would have a violence/rape category and any story remotely violent would go in there. If it was on a site like lush where the violence had previously not been allowed, I think I would have a pop up saying something like "The story you are about to read involves graphic violence and/or rape. Do you wish to continue reading?" whenever you clicked on a story from that category.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:37:32 AM

LadyX wrote:
I think the responses so far are skirting around the question. It's not a 'thumbs up/thumbs down' on how happy you are with the way Nicola runs the site.

The question is: where would you place the limits if it was your site and your decision?

If it were Xstories.com and not Lushstories.com: I think I would keep incest, mostly because more content equals a wider net to catch surfers with, and either there are more incest fans than of other stories, or they are just more inclined to vote than others, because those stories get a lot of action from readers. I never understood why others would go out of their way to bitch about content: if you don't like it don't read it. If you're so butthurt about the fact that it exists on a site that you frequent, then either get over yourself or leave. Its just beyond my ability to understand, maybe.

Okay, you're right. We were skirting the question. I was, at least. So...

Thinking about the areas where "freedom of expression" and "moral/ethical compass" conflict, I'm usually on the side of freedom. I mean, we don't all have the same rules to live by, or the same tastes in fiction. But then, I was thinking about how many story mods I'd have to enlist to keep things in check, if I wanted to have a policy of "I'll allow the 'good' violence in, but I won't allow the 'bad' violence in..." Eventually, it would come down to a judgement call, and since it's MY site, I'd have to start arbitrarily saying "This I like, but this I don't." Then some pretty decent authors would get butthurt because they would see it as "You let Mr. Xxxxx's story in, but you rejected mine!" And they would go somewhere else, and you would lose some really good content in their wake. I'd have to allow some kinds of violence in, because most BDSM does involve violence to the sub, whether real or just threatened. I'd keep kids out of it, and animals, and rape, unless it was a form of role playing agreed upon by the characters in the story. In other words, I'd probably keep things a lot like they are here.

If enough authors asked for it, I'd probably allow myself to be bent into hosting a separate section only for hardcore topics like rape, and scat, and such. It would probably only have a few headings, and it would probably require a separate password and permission to enter and post there. But I'd only set it up if there was enough demand.
Remington
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:41:54 AM

I agree with LadyX and Jebru. After Jaymal was suspended for his story 'No Mercy Pt. 2' (which wasn't a rape story like the higher ups believed it was), I was a little nervous about including a situation like that in one of my stories. I had been tempted to do so up until that point. I would definitely include a disclaimer at the beginning of the story so whomever is reading the story is aware of the content.

I'd draw the line at beastiality. I don't have the desire to read or hear about someone's experience with an animal. Also I would definitely keep kids out of it.

Go check out my new story - How Did This Happen? - John's Story

Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:49:42 AM

I would keep everything the way it is except I'd relax on the violence like others stated. I would only allow things like consentual choking and other masochistic fetishes like that. I would not allow a story about a women just getting beat up or something though. It's really subjective and would probably just open up a can of worms with writers not understanding why their story was too violent compared to others so I don't blame you for having a zero tolerance policy on violence.

Regarding beastiality I wouldn't allow stories that are just about a girl and her dog but I might allow a mention of it if you're trying to develop a character's background or something along those lines.

I would make my site 18 and over and I am actually pretty surprised that the minimum age for characters on lush is 16. So strict on everything but you can post a story about a grandpa fingering his 16 year old niece? Just seems kind of morally lopsided to me.

Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:55:22 AM

here i am coming in behind all you fine folks and saying yup!

i too think we should allow more violence, after all we are talking about fantasy. in fact, ive inadvertently clicked on more profiles of men bragging about doing and impregnating their daughters then men (or just people..cant just say its men) bragging about rape (in fact ive never seen one at all). Incest, for many here, is clearly a real life lifestyle. one some are very proud of it seems. whereas real violence during real life sex does not seem to be prevalent at all. at least not what ive seen

i get ladyx's point about allowing incest from the business standpoint of it. for the sheer traffic it brings. but if it were LMBstories i would not allow it. but thats due directly to my own bad experiences and i feel it propagates, or justifies the people who are out there doing it on a daily basis. and i feel hands down its nothing but wrong. but thats just me.

i will say that it must be a freaking hard job Nicola and the rest have trying to decide what to allow, trying to stay true to themselves while pleasing the people that come here. and i dont really envy it at all. even if im not down with all the restrictions i gotta say..good job! its a great site.

p.s. ladyx, girl, i love how you cut bullshit and get right to the heart of the point!
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:11:16 AM

I am def pulling up the rear of the train here and agree with everyone else that relaxation on the violence aspect. It happens in real life. Incest happens in real life and we can read hundreds if not thousands of stories of that.

Even though I have only submitted a couple of stories, I had to rewrite one story several times as what I thought was control over a woman was perceived as too much violence.

As far as animals and children the rules here are spot on and I would not change them at all
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:56:52 AM

If it was my site, I'd keep most of the content the same, but I'd be more lax on the violence and consensual aggressiveness allowed in rough sex or rape fantasies. I don't read from the supernatural category or the hardcore BDSM categories, but I think it's probably a major challenge for those authors to understand how to differentiate between something that is working for the plot, or something that will offend and potentially get them rejected or suspended. I've had to 'tame' some of my reluctance stories based on watching some other authors get their hands slapped for certain things that are considered inappropriate by site rules. But again, it's not my site, so I'm happy to play by the rules. If you were writing for pay, there are all kinds of rules your editors and publishers will ask you to follow that will affect your free license as an author to be able to 'write whatever you want'. That's just the nature of asking someone else to publish or host your work.

In terms of violence, if it was my site, I'd draw the line at sexual torture. Out of curiosity, I skimmed the site Nicola mentioned and uhm... yeah, definitely a lot of shock, and not so much any awe. I enjoy horror films, but I also don't masturbate to them. I think the issue is not so much the idea of these aspects of taboo or violence (because there are many mainstream Hollywood films that deal with themes of sexual violence, torture, rape, or underage incest as dramatic devices)... the issue it that people are using these things to get turned-on. And that's something that swings far past my own moral compass.

I don't have a problem with anything that is between two consenting human beings (no animals, because they are not consenting... thanks) that are of legal age. There are a lot of fetishes that don't interest me, but I wouldn't have an issue with having them on my site, as long as they had the appropriate disclaimers. As long as a story that pushes violence as a plot-device, or includes rape fantasies or kinky rough sex is clear that the characters are consenting (or eventually consenting), then I wouldn't have any issues with it either.

I think the key will always be to have the disclaimers and accurate tags attached so that readers know what they are getting into when they choose to read something.

On a side note... because Lush functions as a social networking site as well, I can see where attracting the right "caliber" of readers/members is another consideration in terms of the content that is allowed. Policing the social side of a site like this would be a lot more stressful if extremely alternative taboo subjects were allowed.

WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:53:07 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
Policing the social side of a site like this would be a lot more stressful if extremely alternative taboo subjects were allowed.

Those extremely taboo subjects are not allowed now, but occasionally...someone creates his or her profile and manages to slip 'stuff' into and onto their profile pages.

Then...miraculously...they build up an alliance of friends, all of whom notice the taboo subject matter (in fact are drawn to it, like moth to flame) - and they don't bother to notify Nic or Gav or any other moderators.

It is as if nobody bothers to read the site rules (or, more likely ... they don't care). Underage 'boys and girls' on site? Who cares...let's befriend them! There are a ton of Lolita fans on the internutz. Heck, let's post child molestation images on our profile pix and see how long before someone complains!

Piss garglers, scat play, barnyard friends...I even recall one recent author denouncing Lush for not knowing what true BDSM was all about, as I read her death littered and body slashing - werebeing and vampire protagonist stories.

I used to think I was a pretty open minded, free-speech advocate. Then I became a story moderator, and discovered the censoring/policeman side of myself.

heheh, you cannot imagine. geek How many of you ever notice something objectionable on site now...and make a surreptitious mention to Rocco, Pixie, Gypsy or the other mods? (oh, I don't want to be The Narc!)

This is your site.....now. You're here. Help keep the sandbox clean of cat turds, please.

As Nic is asking...where do you draw the line, since everyone's morality is different. Some by just a few degrees, some...by the entire spectrum of grey-scale shades.

I like this place as it continues to develop and evolve. There are story categories now I don't willingly venture into. There are topics/categories I won't ever create a story within. There are other sites I can submit my violence laden (minor sexual content containing) stories to. Perhaps Nicki will someday have such a sister-site, where I can display my other wares, too.

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
sprite
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:14:30 PM

Great question! First of all, as WWM said, this is YOUR site, and you should set the limits so they match YOUR comfort zones. that said, you turned it over to us for this thread, at least, and so, for the next 10 minutes, this is my site...

i read stories on a few other sites, and yes, there are some limits here that i have restricted a story or two i've written, in particular knife play (which forced me to do an extensive re-write on what i thought was a fairly innocuous sword fight scent that led to sexual relations!). nope, i didn't complain once, nor is this a complaint - just sort of agreeing with some of the comments on violence already laid out.

now... that said, two of the biggies here are Rape and Snuff, at least those are the ones that caught my eye. Snuff is an easy one for me. Really, how that belongs in a erotic story, i don't know. Sure, i don't have an issue on characters dying/being killed in stories in non sexual ways -LadyX's Seeing You Again contains death, but Snuff, i believe, is killing someone for sexual satisfaction, or at least that's my take on it. Personally, i have real issues on the subject and steer faraway from anything that contains that particular tag line - i don't care how many more people it might bring to 'my site'; my own personal veiw is that is is sick - black and white for me.

That brings us to rape... that is not so black and white, at least in what is considered a rape story and what is not. Oh, sometimes it's obvious - a scene where a stalker breaks into a house, takes a woman using violence and there is no hint of enjoyment for her, sexual or otherwise. If the scene is used as part of a fictional novel and important to the story, then that's one thing, but if it is supposed to be used as erotic show peice... i have an unfinished novel that has a rape scene in it - it's certainly not meant to be erotic, but it is central to the story.

thing is, some of the reluctant stories tread a fine line, and where do you draw the line? one persons releuctant story might be another persons rape. I've read some of the reluctant sex stories that were a little too over the line for me, but then, there are some that are incredibly erotic as well that someone else might have issues with? in the end, we each have a personal responsiblity, to police ourselves and stay away from subjects we are uncomfy with - as long as stories are appropriately tagged, there really shouldn't be an issue - if you don't like incest, skip over it.

oh, as far as age goes, i find that i'm comfortable with 16... anything younger, i just start getting this protective feeling, especially if there is a large age gap between the characters - 13 or younger just sort of gives me a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach and i won't even touch those...

ok, those are my scattered thoughts, hope they help a little :)

Live, love, laugh.
mercianknight
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:24:34 PM

My bad for my earlier post. I should have made it clearer that "if this were my site" I would run it as it is currently and leave the door open to discussion as to things like the 'definition' of violence in erotica. Lush has shown it can evolve and I would want my site to retain that ability.

I confess to not reading stories from all categories and therefore recuse myself from making comment on BDSM limits etc. Additionally, how close do 'Reluctance' stories (my fave) flirt with the definition of rape. It's a tough call.

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
ReallyHard
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:33:30 PM

Standard general disclaimer: I like Lush just fine - more than any other adult story site I've yet encountered, in fact - and am not advocating any change in policy.

Since nicola asked the question...

I'm with a few of the others in this thread who would not be offended if the sites rules regarding sexual violence were somewhat relaxed from their current state. As it stands, there is an entire category of stories here at Lush - the "Reluctance" stories - which is by-and-large dedicated to a fairly specific subset of the "let's pretend" Roleplaying story genre. Without an authorial wink in the narrative at some point to let the readers know that everyone was only fooling, my understanding is that the stories in that category would be rejected. Whether your interest lies in Reluctance stories in general or a particular, specific, Reluctance story, simply knowing ahead of time that the characters in the story will eventually disclose that they were only pretending can potentially diminish that story's impact on you as the reader, in the same way that an Incest story's impact on the reader can be diminished if the main characters are shown as only pretending to be relatives. Having written one such Reluctance story that's been published here as of this post, I can say that figuring out how best to approach that 'authorial wink' to keep my story from being rejected was a major factor in how I wrote the story as a whole.

The second category that could, at least, use a bit of clarification for me is "drugging." I know that stories about rendering a partner unconscious thanks to pharmaceuticals are obviously right out, as I would presume any story about using street narcotics is. What about a couple sharing a bottle of wine over a romantic dinner? Standards may have changed since I was last in a college orientation class, but I was always told that drunken consent was an oxymoron, and that giving your prospective partner a single serving of alcohol made any sexual contact thereafter molestation and/or rape, regardless of any established sexual relationship. Is that the standard to which Lush holds? If it's more relaxed than that, where is the line; what's the B.A.C. legal limit for boozing and sexing it up in a Lush story?

Making Do

This Old House
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:04:49 PM

ReallyHard wrote:
Standard general disclaimer: I like Lush just fine - more than any other adult story site I've yet encountered, in fact - and am not advocating any change in policy.

ReallyHard, I'm not singling you out, although I'm quoting you.

This thread is not a question or review about the various standards and policies that Lush has in place, it seems to me. It's a question relative to what any individual would establish as his or her own limits in terms of content are, if he or she were to set up (major investment in terms of time, money and commitment, by the way), an erotic story website, similar, obviously, in terms of structure and governance as this one. In that respect, it is a hypothetical question, not a review of Lush as it exists.

There are far too many parameters to be considered, I think, in terms of legality and policing on the internet, that haven't been taken into consideration with some of the replies, although LadyX has done quite well to bring the discussion back to the intent of the original question.

Nicola has posted a link to the more than 200 laws in effect in the United States, which are what this site abides by. If nothing else, that is pause for thought when tackling a question such as she has posited here.

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst4491_2257-Regulations--Laws.aspx

That's all I have to say. Please go ahead and enjoy this discussion, en pleine connaisance de cause, as we say.

hiding
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:11:27 PM

nicola wrote:
So, my question to you, if this were your site, where would you draw the line in terms of acceptable content? I go with my own moral compass. If it's too vanilla for some, then sobeit.

If this was MY site...

Based on morals only: I could not and would not allow stories that contain incest. I honestly could not justify to myself, the moral difference of a rape story and a daddy does his daughter story (concensual or not). If I was to base MY site entirely on what is acceptable, and entirely on MY morals, but also following the guidelines of the law, I would keep the site as is... but I would delete the incest category. MY opinion is that... it is against the law to marry (and have sex with) daughter, son, brother, sister, mother and father, so I could not morally and lawfully (?) allow these stories on MY site.

Based on Readers/Profits only: Morals aside, I would consider what the readers want. There are people out there with all sorts of fetishes and I really could not allow one thing and disallow another... That leads to rape and other stories... Well, if I wanted to keep the majority of readers happy and make a profit, as a professional, l would have to make moral sacrifices and allow certain categories to appear on my site. I may not be happy with the direction my site is heading but as a business, well, the customer is always right.... so really anything would go.

How I would run MY site: For stories categories, it would have to be a comprimise between morals and the readers. Personally (and legally), I would not have beastiality, snuff and underage (below 16, as that is the legal age here in Australia), but would allow rape, incest and violence as long as it was consensual and there was a disclaimer at the beginning of each story, clearly stating that "it is a FANTASY and not a true story". My reply to my critics would be.... as I have so often read on here,... "If you don't like the subject matter... then don't read it!" and "you can't please everyone!"

As for the community side of the site: I read a thread recently about a guy wanting to know if there was any nappy/breastfeeding stories... The replies were not so welcoming... Any thread that would deal with weird fetishes or more controversial sexual preferences, would have a catogory to themselves (like the think tank), something like "Each to his own" or “Judge not, lest ye be judged.” This would allow ALL members feel welcomed to the forums ~ of course, any negative or smart ass comments would be automatically deleted and would be heavily moderated. I know some members would object to this, but as adults, we have to realise that we are all different and have different tastes and that is what makes us special.

Note: The reason why I have capitalized 'MY' is because these are my views and in no way am I judging how Nic chooses how to run her site.
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:29:11 PM

I would NOT allow drunk old men raping poor under-aged flaming ponies. THAT's BAD!
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:55:25 PM

Harmony wrote:

Based on morals only: I could not and would not allow stories that contain incest. I honestly could not justify to myself, the moral difference of a rape story and a daddy does his daughter story (concensual or not). If I was to base MY site entirely on what is acceptable, and entirely on MY morals, but also following the guidelines of the law, I would keep the site as is... but I would delete the incest category. MY opinion is that... it is against the law to marry (and have sex with) daughter, son, brother, sister, mother and father, so I could not morally and lawfully (?) allow these stories on MY site.

I am an absolute newbie here and really have no business posting, but then again maybe that gives me a perspective you'd like to hear. I agree 100 percent with what Harmony said about not allowing incest. Although I understand why you do allow it, if it were my site (which is what we're talking about), incest would be kicked to the curb forthwith.

That said, I'm very happy to have found a site that is much more erotic than pornographic, and it's easy enough for me to steer clear of topics I may not like.

~ Rascal

Maggie Rascal
nicola
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:22:42 PM

Magical_felix wrote:
I would make my site 18 and over and I am actually pretty surprised that the minimum age for characters on lush is 16. So strict on everything but you can post a story about a grandpa fingering his 16 year old niece? Just seems kind of morally lopsided to me.

Not in the slightest. The age of consent in most developed countries is 16. How can people legally be allowed to have sex, but not join an adult site until they are 18? That is lopsided if you ask me.
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:57:18 PM

nicola wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:

Not in the slightest. The age of consent in most developed countries is 16. How can people legally be allowed to have sex, but not join an adult site until they are 18? That is lopsided if you ask me.

I tend to be a little disorganized when I post my thoughts...

What I meant to say was that you can have a story involving a grandfather fingering his 16 year old niece but you can't have a story where two thirty year olds like choking each other during sex because it's violent. If my girlfriend told me that her old boyfriend liked getting choked while she rode on top him I'd be less shocked than if she told me her grandfather used to rub her vagina when she was a junior in highschool.

Plus I like that the minimum age is 16 on lush, it opens the door for a whole lot of plot elements. I like to make my female characters naive so it's more believable if they're 16 or 17. It just surprised me that lush is like that because most sites that require you to be 18 to join usually have a minimum age of 18 for any characters in your story.

I didn't mean it as an attack on your site even though after re-reading my post it did seem that way.

Jillicious
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:04:37 PM

Very interesting thread. The same content that is always questioned by different people.

I actually agree with the current content.

The age limit is interesting. 18+ seems to be a very clear line of moral goodness, for a lack of a better term. But on the other hand many of us were not 18 when we started experimenting with sex. (this thread isn't to share those stories). And as nicola has nicely pointed out, 16 is the age of consent around the majority of the world. Honestly 16 isn't all that young of an age. Other sites have some very low ages which really puts a knot in my stomach when I read them.

The incest topic is also one that seems to be hotly contested. I do write incest stories as a fantasy. I've never been involved in incest and never will. I've actually considered deleting my stories because of the occasional pervert that tries talking to me. Some people take it way too far and it gets very disturbing very quickly. Attracting those types is not what I'm looking for. I've also reported a few for their blatantly disturbing confessions. For some of us the incest thing is a fantasy because of our situation during life's pivotal moments. For me it is a turn on when it is older and consensual, as the site rules require anyways. But I do understand why others find it disgusting as only a small type of incest stories appeal to me. I think this site has a good balance with it. It must fall in the guidelines of the age limit, which weeds out a majority of the creepy incest stories.

Rape is one that I would lighten up on a little bit. I've got a bit of a forced fantasy. I don't wish to be raped or taken advantage of but there is something about not being given a choice that is a bit appealing. Thus the correlation some have made to BDSM. But on the other hand I've read some very revolting rape stories in the past.

I don't read cheating stories. I guess this is where my moral compass is a bit different than everyone else. The site allows them and if I had a site I would allow them too. I'm just very loyal I guess and would expect the same in return.

I really think Lush has a good balance of things. The only thing I would consider changing is the age limit of characters to 18, even considering the age of consent. It just gives the impression that any underage material is not accepted.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
HaileSelassie
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 2:32:42 PM

Nothing illegal, exception of underage. Obviously not prepubescent underage but anything two people could actually realistically want to do is cool. By American law that includes consensual violence.
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 2:43:57 PM

If this were my site I'd attempt to keep the site near what we have now. You open up to more hardcore stories you invite some very shady and perverted people to the site. I like the mix of people we have now and don't want see an influx of questionable people. I would relax the violence rule for consensual violence or where both parties were mutually fulfilled and happy, so to speak, bye end of the story.
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 5:21:57 PM

Me I think I'd pretty much keep things the way they are on Lush classiest site I found to date. Best bunch of people here.
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:59:44 AM

bikebum1975 wrote:
Me I think I'd pretty much keep things the way they are on Lush classiest site I found to date. Best bunch of people here.

Yeah except that BikeBum guy. Wow! Is he ever something else!