Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you give money to panhandlers? Options · View
SweetPenny
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:28:59 AM

VanGogh wrote:
SweetPenny wrote:
DamonX wrote:
When I went to the store today....the panhandler was talking on his cell phone....Boo hoo!

In New York City, all the homeless guys have cell phones.

thinking about this last evening .... doesn't one need to have a residence/PO Box for the bill to go to? ... unless, it is a pay as you go ....

still ~ my reaction seems to still be wow ....

Yeah, there are a lot of great prepaid cell phone plans in New York City. And they have excellent coverage too.
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 12:54:57 PM

I keep several gift cards for fast food places and grocery stores, plus the business cards of local shelters and some bus passes, in my glove box. I encounter a lot of these folks at freeway exit ramps. Luckily for me, and unluckily for most of them, I am blessed with a very good memory. I give them the whole package the first couple of times I see them, then a bus pass and contact info for the nearest shelter a few more times, and after that they just get the shelter's card. Most of them stop approaching my car after a while.

They are, sad to say, mostly professional beggars, not true homeless people in need. I've seen one guy dropped off by a BMW to do his "shift" on the off ramp.

~ Rascal

Maggie Rascal
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 10:27:37 PM

Quick retorts to the beggars:

"I got kids and you ain't one of them."

"Yes, god did bless me cause I ain't you."

Don't be fooled, there are plenty of organizations that need your funding, and no, not national ones, your local organizations. In the end, all of you in here and recruit the lushies you know, save a dollar a day, and then find a couple that is trying to adopt a child from oversees, give them the money (and it is very expensive) and give a child, and a loving couple a chance at happiness.
DamonX
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 10:39:41 PM

VanGogh wrote:
SweetPenny wrote:
DamonX wrote:
When I went to the store today....the panhandler was talking on his cell phone....Boo hoo!

In New York City, all the homeless guys have cell phones.

thinking about this last evening .... doesn't one need to have a residence/PO Box for the bill to go to? ... unless, it is a pay as you go ....

still ~ my reaction seems to still be wow ....

This panhandler acually does have a residence. Since his sign actually says "In danger of being evicted". I'm guessing he has a residence that which he is danger of being evicted from. Not all beggars are homeless...especially on the West coast.

Van, I'm not sure what part of the city you live in, but if you go to the IGA at Maple and Broadway in Kits at any time, any day, you can see him. Maybe you can give your take the image he presents.
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:00:32 PM

eiotis123 wrote:
Don't be fooled, there are plenty of organizations that need your funding, and no, not national ones, your local organizations.

That's an excellent point. Those local organizations, such as food banks and community shelters, can do a lot more good for a lot more people than any of us can as individuals.

Maggie Rascal
Trimble
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:31:46 AM

magnificent1rascal wrote:
eiotis123 wrote:
Don't be fooled, there are plenty of organizations that need your funding, and no, not national ones, your local organizations.

That's an excellent point. Those local organizations, such as food banks and community shelters, can do a lot more good for a lot more people than any of us can as individuals.

Especially in a rough economy, spare what little you can to food banks and charities, not individuals. The word gets around quick among the homeless. I never met anyone on the streets that didn't know where to go for meals, clothes, and a bed, if it's available.
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:13:26 PM

Nope barely have enough for myself right now
ShyVixen
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:31:32 PM

I'm in the heart of a city that sees this on a daily basis. It's hard to tell who really needs help and who is just out for a scam. Will they use it for food, booze, drugs, who knows. I have offered food to some in the past and some have declined only wanting my change. I Unfortunately for me, my father was homeless not so long ago and now I can't help but to give my loose change to those who ask. That could be someone's Dad and I know I prayed that someone was helping my Dad when he needed it. This was a great post, thanks Damonx!
Rembacher
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 1:56:32 PM

I couldn't find this clip when we were talking about this before, but comedian Rob Pue has some interesting ideas on homelessness and giving the homeless money. I still can't find the start of the bit, where he starts out talking about how stupid he thinks it is to tell some homeless people to get a job. He asks "do you want crazy Eddie working with you in your office?" This clip picks up right after that comment in his act.

DamonX
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 7:49:48 PM

Jebru wrote:
I couldn't find this clip when we were talking about this before, but comedian Rob Pue has some interesting ideas on homelessness and giving the homeless money. I still can't find the start of the bit, where he starts out talking about how stupid he thinks it is to tell some homeless people to get a job. He asks "do you want crazy Eddie working with you in your office?" This clip picks up right after that comment in his act.

That was actually pretty damn funny. hello1 I just looked for more of his stuff, but I couldn't find any. :(

on a related note however...not all panhandlers are homeless. I think there is definately a difference between the homeless and those that choose panhandling as a lifestyle.

Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 9:26:07 PM

I do when I have the cash on me. I have so much and most of the people I see seem not to. There is one guy who is at the exit ramp and he says he was a veteran. My heart just goes out to him.
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:46:31 PM

if i have it i do...even if its just a dollar...we all need a little help sometimes.
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:50:59 PM

No. I will give food or food vouchers/gift cards but, never money. Occasionally, there are beggars outside my work. My cousin lives in NYC and saw a woman begging for food money so he gave her an organic wrap that was about $10. The lady refused the wrap saying she doesn't "eat organic shit" and that she would rather have the money. You cant be too hungry of you have preferences and are refusing food. There was another incident with a man who had a dog and he was begging for money for food for the dog. One woman was so touched that she went out and bought food, treats, toys nd bones for the dog. When she tried to give the stuff to the man he said that he couldnt tale all of that stuff because if people saw it they wouldn't give him money. He asked her to return the goods and just give him the cash.
OldDog_BlackHeart
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 11:40:22 PM

Not a cent is my motto. Sounds kinda mean rite. Well here's the gist of it. I have been homeless & I never pan handled A dime from anyone.Those people are just looking for A free ride. Giving them money or anything else is just like saying to them your rite you don't have to work. Just keep believing the world owes you A living.
When I became homeless I too resorted to begging, I begged for work and I found it. Most people will give you work before they will give you money and I feel it's only rite. Begging for work even if it's doing some lite chore in return for A meal. It tells people your not looking for A hand out just A hand, and your willing to earn what you get in life.And you retain your self respect. Please understand I'M not without charity I do donate to the local food pantry & homeless shelters, because they help rehabilitate people.If not for the local food pantry it would have been a lot harder for me to have gotten back on my feet. So what comes around goes around. So if you want to give food to someone. Then give it to them. You say pan handling is getting to be like an epidemic your rite. I have watched these people stand or sit in the same place every day for years and act like it's their birth rite to beg in that spot.Even fight off anyone else that tries to beg there too. However if people would stop giving these people money for doing nothing, They would stop asking for it. And please stop looking at the small picture. It's not just small change. It accumulates the average pan handler makes more money per year than the average minimum wage earner, and doesn't pay any taxes on it. So your not only giving these people A free ride, Your carrying their share of the tax burden. Meanwhile the drug dealers and the people who sell alcohol are getting rich on your proceeds. And when these people get sick from using these drugs we all wind up paying their hospital bills an even their interment expense. Do everyone A favor tell these beggars No! Or even say get A job it may sound cruel but it just may be the kick in the ass they need. And please keep in mind when these people aren't begging for money their looking for something to steal. So your not only enabling them not to work your contributing to the crime rate.My 2 cents
OldDog_BlackHeart
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:52:52 AM

Guest wrote:
if i have it i do...even if its just a dollar...we all need a little help sometimes.

Well you shouldn't. Read my post.
jollylolly
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:14:00 AM

Yes. It would be nice if took care of the most vulnerable people as well as we do the billionaires, but we don't, so I give out a few bucks to panhandlers a couple of times a week. It's not a big deal to me, and I try to give without self-righteousness or preachy stipulations about how the money is spent.

MostPreciousLittle
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:01:23 PM

Yes, to those more who don't ask, who need it.
I don't give anything to someone on the side of a freeway, ect...BUT
The one I can smell who hasn't bathed or washed their clothes in forever, those who have all their belongings in a shopping cart and can't even take the bus because they can't take the shopping cart with them.

I will give more than a few dollars to them usually.

I ask them how they are doing then ask them if they could use whatever I took out of my wallet for them.

OldDog_BlackHeart
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 3:48:36 AM

jollylolly wrote:
Yes. It would be nice if took care of the most vulnerable people as well as we do the billionaires, but we don't, so I give out a few bucks to panhandlers a couple of times a week. It's not a big deal to me, and I try to give without self-righteousness or preachy stipulations about how the money is spent.

If your not part of the solution, Then your part of the problem.sad10
jollylolly
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:40:11 AM

Ok. I don't live in a major city with loads of panhandlers. I usually see the same people around town who are pretty obviously mentally ill and carrying their belongings around with them. The homeless shelter here isn't really equipped to deal with people like that, it's only for emergency situations. There is a soup kitchen that serves lunch every day, but homeless people need more than just food. Yes, I know they might spend it on alcohol, but in the gruesome reality they are living in I don't blame them. I doubt handing them a few dollars is going to prevent them starting a new life and getting a job.

I absolutely support our local food bank as well, there would be a lot of people going hungry without it.

But now there are thousands and thousands of homeless veterans with PTSD and or traumatic brain injury. Telling them to just "get a job" is the opposite of helpful. I'm beginning to believe that our country is being run by sociopaths.
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:08:00 PM

No I won't give money anymore and yes I do feel bad about that decision. But I have offered to buy them a lunch and they refuse it. So that got me thinking some people will refuse my offer to get them some lunch but want the money. Not saying all are like that but I have had a few who want the money instead of a lunch.
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 11:55:25 AM

NightMan wrote:

Well you shouldn't. Read my post.

My Uncle, Grandparents, Parents used to tell all the time how the homeless were just lazy, didn't wanna work yada yada. For the longest time i bought into it. Every time i saw someone askin for money , diggin thru a garbage/ dumpster and I used to think what a lazy piece a shit .

The truth is you really don't know what happened to get them there unless you take the time to ask them, that is. Granted there are some con artists out there but if they didn't need the help they wouldn't be asking . I don't buy into a lot of stories you hear about how people getting rich from panhandling lol. They might pick up a pocket full of cash one day and a few pennies the next. But, making a hundreds of dollars a day holding a sign? then driving off in a Mercedes? laughing8 Bullshit, because there are more elaborate scams other than panhandling to profit quicker/ more effeciently from .

I've probably given out hundreds of dollars over the years and yea, some were bullshitting me with some pretty ourageous tales. But, whatever the case , they wouldn't ask if they didn't need the help.

Don't know how you're gonna come here and tell anyone what they should do with thier money btw.
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:12:17 PM

sweetpea60 wrote:
No I won't give money anymore and yes I do feel bad about that decision. But I have offered to buy them a lunch and they refuse it. So that got me thinking some people will refuse my offer to get them some lunch but want the money. Not saying all are like that but I have had a few who want the money instead of a lunch.
What's for lunch ? eat You're not doin em any favors by offering Mc Donald's or Wendy's.isjda They'd Be better off digging thru someone's garbage can imo .
JimB01
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 1:16:07 PM

when I am in Vegas I save up all my coins and on the day I leave I give them all to the first panhandler I meet
Meggsy
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 2:42:30 PM

I was in Rome and saw a guy huddled in a blanket begging in a doorway - I thought he would be dead within hours. Not far from the Spanish Steps.
The next day we saw the same guy park his Mercedes and grab his blanket and run off to his spot to 'die' again.
I believe they make something like $200 a day.
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:08:05 PM

When I was a youth, I was with my family visiting a nearby city for a summer afternoon - walking through a section of shops and restaurants - we came upon an ice cream place and I went and bought an ice cream cone with my own money I earned doing yard work for some neighbors. As I walked on the side walk, a man approached me with a cup asking for money. I gave him 50-cents thinking it was a good thing to do. He brought the cup up to his face - looked in and what I gave him - and then looked at me in disgust as he barked "I hope you enjoy your ice cream".

At the age I was, it was a pretty searing memory. 50-cents is a bit of money for a kid (in the late 70's that is lol). I worked for it - and he did not appreciate it. Fast forward to my early 20's - first salaried job - working in a city... at a food court one day for lunch and I am approached by a woman asking for money. I gave her $1 - and next thing I know, I am a marked man as I ended up getting approached by many others that lunch hour and for many days to come.

Move ahead another 10 years or so, travelling internationally for work - arrive in a country with quite a poverty problem and gangs of beggers. As I meet my driver after passing customs, this little girl comes up to me with her hands out. As I was looking at her with a heartbreaking feeling, my driver tells me do not give her anything because if I do I will have dozens of them descend on me. As he led me out to his car, she was inches from my hip - walking with us. When we got to the car, I got in and she was right there outside the door - didn't move - just kept staring at me. As we drove off, I saw her run off to a man who my driver said was the ringleader for a gang of children beggers.

These are just a few experiences that have shaped my view on the topic. I never judge why someone is panhandling but I rarely give them money - I do, however, give donations to local food banks and organizations that help the homeless. I feel this is better way to help.

OldDog_BlackHeart
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 10:09:25 PM

Ajax wrote:

My Uncle, Grandparents, Parents used to tell all the time how the homeless were just lazy, didn't wanna work yada yada. For the longest time i bought into it. Every time i saw someone askin for money , diggin thru a garbage/ dumpster and I used to think what a lazy piece a shit .

The truth is you really don't know what happened to get them there unless you take the time to ask them, that is. Granted there are some con artists out there but if they didn't need the help they wouldn't be asking . I don't buy into a lot of stories you hear about how people getting rich from panhandling lol. They might pick up a pocket full of cash one day and a few pennies the next. But, making a hundreds of dollars a day holding a sign? then driving off in a Mercedes? laughing8 Bullshit, because there are more elaborate scams other than panhandling to profit quicker/ more effeciently from .

I've probably given out hundreds of dollars over the years and yea, some were bullshitting me with some pretty ourageous tales. But, whatever the case , they wouldn't ask if they didn't need the help.

Don't know how you're gonna come here and tell anyone what they should do with thier money btw.

Yea I know It ain't easy getting stoned when you don't have any money. And how are you going to think about working when your suffering from drug withdrawal . Boo hoo!
Funny though I did it. I guess not everyone can look at their self & the mess they got themselves into ,and say to themselves time to sober up & take responsibility for myself. Nah why do that when there is some dumb ass out there that is willing to support my habit.Oh look there's A sucker coming now. Better get out one of my many sob stories.bs
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:06:18 AM

Realize that some panhandlers are scam artists, some are temporarily down on their luck and some are in and out of institutions for mental problems. These people are ones who can not hold a job because of those problems. Those problems also prevent them from taking their meds. So those people are in a viscous cycle. Fiscal cuts to mental health organizations/clinics/etc. put more of these individuals on the streets.

;) Lastly, depending on your actual location, some panhandlers will refuse any assistance, monetary or food. If you run into one of those people, note what buildings/offices are near by. ;)
Rick_Valley
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:35:11 AM

There are a lot of scam artists out panhandling. I donate to a local food bank.
Subtle
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:04:14 AM

No. I know for a fact that some of these folks make up to $800 a week, pretending to be homeless, out of work poor souls. I know people who have had relatives who do this as a living. A fact.
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:00:41 AM

I do a lot of volunteer work for a homeless and feeding shelter, so actually come in contact with the real homeless people. Unfortunately, a large percentage of panhandlers are con artists or drug addicts/alcoholics. The drug addicts will ask for money and say they need something to eat, but they will actually buy drugs or alcohol (so by giving you are enabling their addiction.). The con artists may actually have a house or live in an apartment or public housing. The con artists are the most aggressive. Where I live the con artists ones often threaten people who don't give them anything.

Normally I will just give my money through established shelters for the homeless, but occasionally I will give to someone (who I think might be legitimate) on the street asking. When I do I still wonder though. The toughest to pass up are those that stand on the street corners with their children and a sign that said 'please help, out of work' or similar. They might be con artists, but that's hard to pass by and not give something.

Unfortunately, there are a large number of legitimate homeless that are mentally ill. They are truly not capable of holding a job, their families have lost patience with them, financially can't afford to help them, or they have no family. But there are no public mental health institutions to take them and private ones are very expensive. Many of those people might actually be able to have a job and a close to normal life if they were on medications. However, those medications are very expensive and they can't pay for them.