Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you believe in "God"? Options · View
WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 7:26:59 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,477
Location: Cakeland, United States
If you were conceived in a petri dish and then born as a result of IVF - in vitro fertilization, and then delivered to this world via caesarean section - as was the case with Louise Brown, in 1978...

What do you suppose you would believe in?

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
DirtyMartini
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 7:37:03 AM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,848
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
WellMadeMale wrote:
If you were conceived in a petri dish and then born as a result of IVF - in vitro fertilization, and then delivered to this world via caesarean section - as was the case with Louise Brown, in 1978...

What do you suppose you would believe in?


That is an excellent question WellMade...what if you were concieved in the back of a '53 Chevy and born in the back seat of a Greyhound bus?
I don't suppose you heard about the dyslexic that believed in Dog???


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 8:09:24 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,220
Location: United States
DamonX wrote:


Actually that is the definition of atheism. It is the non-belief in a god. a=absence. Prefix The=deity or god. Keep digging this hole.

I would tell you to go back and read my comments again but I know how that pisses you off. Look...pretend that it's not the evil DamonX writing these awful things and try and actually read what they say. At the very least, get some feedback from someone else before you post any more because you are digging a seriously deep hole here.

Quote:
Actually, you kinda did in your rant about how children are "infected" and never given a chance to be "cured."


Actually there is a cure. Its called knowledge and rational thought. But I would prefer inoculation, by not exposing vulnerable children to the harmful influence of religion.

speaking of children...I feel like I'm speaking to a child right now :)


You need to get off of that "he hates me because I'm DamonX" kick and actually read what I've posted. It'll be a refreshing change for you. Maybe open up that closed mind of yours. Religion isn't an illness that desperately needs a cure. It's a system of beliefs that you lack. You believe that there is no higher power than mankind. That is your belief. It's not a "non-belief". As far as I know, the human mind isn't capable of "non-beliefs". You can either believe something is true, or believe that it's not true. Any crap about "non-belief" is purely semantic bullshit.

You don't "un-believe" in God, you believe that He doesn't exist. If that works for you, great. I feel sorry for you, because you'll never know how it feels to have faith in something other than fallible, gullible, culpable mankind. I feel sorry for any children that may in the future have you as a role model, because your stunted humanity will surely "infect" them with the same lack of kindness and compassion that you demonstrate. In your twisted little closed-off mind, I believe that you think you have every right to criticize things you know nothing about, and call people that disagree with you unpleasant names like "foolish," and "childish". I would hate to be you. Good thing I'm not.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 8:11:38 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,220
Location: United States
sprite wrote:
Just thought i'd point out that the original question, "Do you believe in God" had nothing to do with organized religion. Yes, it's easy to bash religions. Even if you just look at the present and don't adress the past (The crusades, the inquisition, etc, etc), you still have bigotry, sexual molestation, etc etc...

THAT said. Belief in God. People who have a common belief or interest will always find a community of people in common. People who believe in god will attend church, become part of the flock, ascribe to rules and doctrine. Not always, but usually. That all said, i'd like to divorice the two once more. Having a belief in a supreme being, entity, or energy shouldn't have to carry all the baggage of an organized religion and the men (and women) who head it. Belief in god just is. And yes, as Damon and others have said, you can't prove God's existence. I'd like to point out that you really can't disprove it either and, until someone does, i and countless others are going to go on believing in God's existance. yeah, call us naive, or stupid, or whatever, but i like to believe that there is something worth beleiving in, you know?


You should join my church. So far, I'm the only member. It doesn't require much belief in any particular dogma. All it really requires is that you try and not act like a douche very much.laughing2
WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 8:17:55 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,477
Location: Cakeland, United States
MrNudiePants wrote:


You should join my church. So far, I'm the only member. It doesn't require much belief in any particular dogma. All it really requires is that you try and not act like a douche very much.


Clothing optional? Where do you meet? What are we praying for or to? drunken

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 8:21:12 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,220
Location: United States
WellMadeMale wrote:
MrNudiePants wrote:


You should join my church. So far, I'm the only member. It doesn't require much belief in any particular dogma. All it really requires is that you try and not act like a douche very much.


Clothing optional? Where do you meet? What are we praying for or to? drunken


Clothing optional - yes.

Where do we meet? We pretty much don't, but if Sprite joins up, we damn sure will!

What are we praying for or to? Hey - we're pretty open-minded on that kind of thing...
WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 8:26:54 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,477
Location: Cakeland, United States
MrNudiePants wrote:
You don't "un-believe" in God, you believe that He doesn't exist. If that works for you, great.

I feel sorry for you, because you'll never know how it feels to have faith in something other than fallible, gullible, culpable mankind.

I would hate to be you. Good thing I'm not.


Nudes, I find that a smidgen of appropriate apathy is good for the soul.

As in, yanno...I don't really give a fuck what you think. And mean it.

If those battling religious philosophies of the last 10,000 years had looked across the chasm which separated each 'cult' from the other and simply declared. "Heh, go ahead and do whatever is is you do and don't mess with me and mine, I could give a shit less."

A lot of warring would not have occurred.



Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Guest
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 8:31:45 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 676,025
sprite wrote:
but i like to believe that there is something worth beleiving in, you know?


believe in yourself.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 10:14:37 AM

Rank: Alpha Blonde
Moderator

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,623
Location: Your dirty fantasy
MrNudiePants wrote:

As far as I know, the human mind isn't capable of "non-beliefs". You can either believe something is true, or believe that it's not true. Any crap about "non-belief" is purely semantic bullshit.


Wow, good thing you are not a scientist...

The whole scientific method (responsible for the whole of scientific progress) would prove you wrong here. Hypothesis based on probability is something most human minds are capable of... maybe just not yours. Try not to generalize.

Guest
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 10:37:33 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 676,025
Dancing_Doll wrote:
sprite wrote:


also, i know that i've been a little down on religion in this particular thread myself, but i'd like to point out that here have been some amazingly selfless acts done in the name of religion as well.... Mother Theresa comes to mind


I also believed in the selfless virtues of Mother Theresa until I did a bit more reading on her. There seems to be a bit of a taboo when it comes to speaking negatively about her. But when you break things down, there are a great many things that swing things into the negative. First of all she was a conservative Catholic that supported the Pope's views on anti-abortion, contraception, women's priests, and generally had the view that a woman's primary duty was to serve her husband and the Catholic church.

For instance, in her Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech she said:

MotherTheresa wrote:

“Abortion is the worst evil, and the greatest enemy of peace... Because if a mother can kill her own child, what will prevent us from killing ourselves or one another? Nothing.”


She also flew to Ireland to prevent a law legalizing divorce, but then supported Princess Diana when she wanted to divorce Charles, all the while panning for the cameras...

Here are some more interesting facts that are little known:

MotherTheresa wrote:

...Her visit to Haiti and her endorsement of the Duvaliers, the source of much deprivation of the poor in Haiti. Also, her acceptance of stolen money from Charles Keating, “now serving a ten-year sentence for his part in the savings and loan scandal.” Keating, a “Catholic fundamentalist”, gave Mother Teresa one and a quarter million dollars and “the use of his private jet.” During the course of Keating’s trial, Mother Teresa wrote Judge Ito asking clemency and asked Ito “to do what Jesus would do.”
One of the prosecutors in the trial wrote her telling her “of 17,000 individuals from whom Mr. Keating stole $252,000,000.” He added, “You urge Judge Ito to look into his heart--as he sentences Charles Keating--and do what Jesus would do. I submit the same challenge to you. Ask yourself what Jesus would do if he were given the fruits of a crime; what Jesus would do if he were in possession of money that had been stolen; what Jesus would do if he were being exploited by a thief to ease his conscience.” The prosecutor asked her to return the money, and offered to put her “in direct contact with the rightful owners of the property now in your possession.” This supposed paragon of virtue never replied to his letter. No one knows what happens to the millions of dollars Mother Teresa receives. There is no accounting and no evidence that she has built a hospital or orphanage that reflects modern health and sanitary conditions.


And I agree... pretty shocking stuff coming from a supposed "Saint". Her primary role was to minister to the dying... not to help better their lives or save them. The issue that comes up is here is all the corruption that can occur under the guise of religion. For some reason to do something in the name of God or religion somehow casts a blanket of safety over criticizing their motives. With little information, I also would use Mother Theresa as a symbol of altruism... but when you scratch the surface... things aren't always as they seem... or as they've been presented to us.




Course most people won't here the negative sides of so called Saints.



As far as me with believing in God part of me wants to and a bigger part of me doesn't believe. I'll step away now and leave it at that.
Guest
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 10:41:34 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 676,025
nicola wrote:
Or perhaps the concept of, or meaning behind a "God".

Give reasons for your answer either way.

Stephen Hawking apparently doesn't.



Way off track here. Read what the OP asked.
Guest
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 10:44:25 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 676,025


...back and forth, round and round.
This 'god' that you're all arguing about was never meant to be believed IN.

It's a metaphor.
Just as 'heaven' and 'hell' and 'eternal life' are metaphors, for life here and now and what you make of it.
Not meant to be taken LITERALLY.

You're all writers -
Don't you know what's a meta-FOR?
DamonX
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 10:48:08 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 798
Quote:
You need to get off of that "he hates me because I'm DamonX" kick and actually read what I've posted. It'll be a refreshing change for you. Maybe open up that closed mind of yours. Religion isn't an illness that desperately needs a cure. It's a system of beliefs that you lack. You believe that there is no higher power than mankind. That is your belief. It's not a "non-belief". As far as I know, the human mind isn't capable of "non-beliefs". You can either believe something is true, or believe that it's not true. Any crap about "non-belief" is purely semantic bullshit.

You don't "un-believe" in God, you believe that He doesn't exist. If that works for you, great. I feel sorry for you, because you'll never know how it feels to have faith in something other than fallible, gullible, culpable mankind. I feel sorry for any children that may in the future have you as a role model, because your stunted humanity will surely "infect" them with the same lack of kindness and compassion that you demonstrate. In your twisted little closed-off mind, I believe that you think you have every right to criticize things you know nothing about, and call people that disagree with you unpleasant names like "foolish," and "childish". I would hate to be you. Good thing I'm not.


Let me be the first to say...Great mediating job! I bet the mods are glowing with satisfaction over that appointment.

For the record, I wasn't calling you childish because of your religious beliefs. I actually still don't what they are. Why don't you play along and state what number you are on the scale? In any case, let's stick to attacking each other's ideas. If you want to write paragraghs about how horrible a person I am, feel free to send it to my PM.

I still find it odd that people call atheists "closed minded." How can the pursuit of knowledge be considered closed minded? Aren't you equally "closed minded" about all the other religions in the world that you don't believe in?

The term "atheist" has been packed with a number of negative connotations by religious people. They often see it as a "non-religious" form of religion, which is incorrect. It is the absence of religious beliefs. I think nudiepants is still having trouble with that concept.

We are all born atheist aren't we? We aren't born Muslim, Christian or Hindu. Those are all ideas that are presented to us (or forced on us in some cases).
Guest
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 11:25:18 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 676,025


I'm outta here.
Why I ever join these things I'll never know.



For Dinner Tonight I'm having Shroud of Turin soup!
LadyX
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 11:28:40 AM

Rank: Artistic Tart
Moderator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,813
chefkathleen wrote:
nicola wrote:
Or perhaps the concept of, or meaning behind a "God".

Give reasons for your answer either way.

Stephen Hawking apparently doesn't.



Way off track here. Read what the OP asked.


Thank you, and at this point, needed.

I try to avoid interrupting the game with too many whistles, but here's a good rule of thumb- whenever your post includes:

sarcastic sympathy for someone else's point of view/brainpower
requests for others to re-read what you previously wrote
the words 'idiot', 'childish', or 'douche'

then its a good bet you're way off topic and inviting a personal flare-up instead. It happens easily with these topics, and I'm guilty sometimes too, but let's try to either stay with the question or start a new thread if it drifts too far away.

WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 11:33:19 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,477
Location: Cakeland, United States


Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
WellMadeMale
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 11:43:50 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,477
Location: Cakeland, United States
DamonX wrote:
We are all born atheist aren't we? We aren't born Muslim, Christian or Hindu. Those are all ideas that are presented to us (or forced on us in some cases).


I believe we are all born quite ignorant. The more fortunate of 'us' may eventually be able to make our own choices. The more open-minded of us will be tolerant of people whose choices are different than our own.

Rama dama ding dong.

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Guest
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 12:07:46 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 676,025
Sprite is right, a belief in god is actually very different from organized religion!

A very wise, very gay Vicar in Bristol UK once told me that only you and God know what you believe, how strong your faith is and no but no one has the right or ability to judge your belief, way of worship or general way of believing in a God that when it comes to it is as personal to every individual as our own finger prints are!

He then went on to tell me that the house mates i lived with who were fundamental Christians were fucking idiots and i was better off moving out and be rid of them cos for every bible passage they shoved under my door he had a come back for them in scripture that was taken out of context or skewered to suit there own needs and had not been translated 40 times and lost its original meaning!!

So a belief itself in God is a personal thing, not related in fact to religion at all, the most hypocritical people i have ever met are the 'god fearing' church attending 'Christians' who don't know the true meaning of 'christian' if it bit them on the ass!!

Going on the christian bible only...........'love thy neighbour' 'judge not lest thee be judged', Jesus spread the word of God which was "LOVE and ACCEPTANCE" blah blah blah................all seems forgotten by the so called 'Christians' i meet as a gay woman!

I was raised atheist i guess in that we never attended church, never talked religion and never prayed or read any religious material at home...........I found my own path to Church of England as a teenager but was ousted by 2 churches for being gay! looked around and got back to what i feel is my true beliefs.....Wicca, misunderstood spirituality but relates back to paganism.

Paganism of course was the birth place of a lot of so called 'Catholic and Christian' festivals we all know today that are widely celebrated particularly in europe! Seems the good old Romans couldnt stop the villagers from celebrating with the seasons so changed the names and meanings!

After all we all know Jesus wasnt born on xmas day right???

Sorry rambling its 4am and i neeeeeeeed sleeep obviously, maybe its the rain threatening to sweep part of the state away and i'm thinking back to noah but does anyone else see animals getting into a boat 2 by 2????????

Jonas1004
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 1:43:54 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 8/28/2010
Posts: 6
Location: Arkansas
I believe in a god. That god might well be the energy that binds the Universe(s) together. I believe in it, but do not pretend to understand its nature. For those who think I am being juvenile for my belief, perhaps you are correct. It really doesn't matter to me. I am juvenile in many things that I do. There are parts of ALL of us that do not grow up. If the price of "knowing the truth" is to give up childlike wonder at certain things, then tell me, please, which of us is happier? The one with childlike wonder or the one who has the drive to explain everything?
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 1:54:54 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,220
Location: United States
Dancing_Doll wrote:
MrNudiePants wrote:

As far as I know, the human mind isn't capable of "non-beliefs". You can either believe something is true, or believe that it's not true. Any crap about "non-belief" is purely semantic bullshit.


Wow, good thing you are not a scientist...

The whole scientific method (responsible for the whole of scientific progress) would prove you wrong here. Hypothesis based on probability is something most human minds are capable of... maybe just not yours. Try not to generalize.


I beg your pardon? The scientific method has nothing to do with "non-beliefs".

Quote:

* Ask a Question
* Do Background Research
* Construct a Hypothesis
* Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
* Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
* Communicate Your Results


The scientific method is a way of testing an idea to see if it's true or not. How are you going to test for the truth behind religion? What experiment are you going to conduct? Again, positing your "non-belief" is just semantic crap. You believe that something doesn't exist (God, leprechauns, unicorns, whatever) and that's all there is to it.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:01:44 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,220
Location: United States
DamonX wrote:


Let me be the first to say...Great mediating job! I bet the mods are glowing with satisfaction over that appointment.

For the record, I wasn't calling you childish because of your religious beliefs. I actually still don't what they are. Why don't you play along and state what number you are on the scale? In any case, let's stick to attacking each other's ideas. If you want to write paragraghs about how horrible a person I am, feel free to send it to my PM.

I still find it odd that people call atheists "closed minded." How can the pursuit of knowledge be considered closed minded? Aren't you equally "closed minded" about all the other religions in the world that you don't believe in?

The term "atheist" has been packed with a number of negative connotations by religious people. They often see it as a "non-religious" form of religion, which is incorrect. It is the absence of religious beliefs. I think nudiepants is still having trouble with that concept.

We are all born atheist aren't we? We aren't born Muslim, Christian or Hindu. Those are all ideas that are presented to us (or forced on us in some cases).


I don't care what your reasons are for slinging mud. Sling it, and I'll sling it right back at ya.

What knowledge are you pursuing, when it comes to religion? I've never had a discussion with a professed atheist who was actively searching for proof that God does or doesn't exist. All the ones I've ever talked to already had their minds made up and decided that God doesn't exist. Their minds were closed on the subject. You've posted nothing to indicate that you're any different. As much proselytizing as you're doing on the subject here, you may as well be giving sermons on how to be a better atheist. You can claim that I'm "having trouble" understanding, but the reality is, you're just being hypocritical on the subject, and you refuse to admit it (maybe even to yourself).
sprite
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:02:50 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness
Moderator

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 16,914
Location: My Tower, United States
WellMadeMale wrote:
DamonX wrote:
We are all born atheist aren't we? We aren't born Muslim, Christian or Hindu. Those are all ideas that are presented to us (or forced on us in some cases).


I believe we are all born quite ignorant. The more fortunate of 'us' may eventually be able to make our own choices. The more open-minded of us will be tolerant of people whose choices are different than our own.

Rama dama ding dong.


we are also all born without a language, written or spoken. we are born without ethics or morals, not know what is right or wrong. we are born without skills or talents, without the ablity to even survive on our own. This list of what we are not born as is very VERY long. Taking Damon's idea to the most extreme measure, we shouldn't have cultur or art or even the most base civilization.

Live, love, laugh.
Guest
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:04:58 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 676,025
Jonas1004 wrote:
I believe in a god. That god might well be the energy that binds the Universe(s) together. I believe in it, but do not pretend to understand its nature. For those who think I am being juvenile for my belief, perhaps you are correct. It really doesn't matter to me. I am juvenile in many things that I do. There are parts of ALL of us that do not grow up. If the price of "knowing the truth" is to give up childlike wonder at certain things, then tell me, please, which of us is happier? The one with childlike wonder or the one who has the drive to explain everything?



guess it depends on the person. you might like the child-like wonder. i crave information. i must know things. and usually i want to know it as fast as possible. for me, information is power and i like to feel powerful and in control of my own little Universe. child-like wonder makes me feel nervous and insecure..
MrNudiePants
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:05:13 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,220
Location: United States
WellMadeMale wrote:


Nudes, I find that a smidgen of appropriate apathy is good for the soul.

As in, yanno...I don't really give a fuck what you think. And mean it.

If those battling religious philosophies of the last 10,000 years had looked across the chasm which separated each 'cult' from the other and simply declared. "Heh, go ahead and do whatever is is you do and don't mess with me and mine, I could give a shit less."

A lot of warring would not have occurred.



This is true, amigo. And the reality is I know I'm not gonna change any minds here, nor am I trying to. I just don't like being called names. (LOL)
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:29:26 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde
Moderator

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 6,623
Location: Your dirty fantasy
MrNudiePants wrote:
Dancing_Doll wrote:
MrNudiePants wrote:

As far as I know, the human mind isn't capable of "non-beliefs". You can either believe something is true, or believe that it's not true. Any crap about "non-belief" is purely semantic bullshit.


Wow, good thing you are not a scientist...

The whole scientific method (responsible for the whole of scientific progress) would prove you wrong here. Hypothesis based on probability is something most human minds are capable of... maybe just not yours. Try not to generalize.


I beg your pardon? The scientific method has nothing to do with "non-beliefs".

[quote]
* Ask a Question
* Do Background Research
* Construct a Hypothesis
* Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
* Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
* Communicate Your Results




Science is all about what you call "non-belief"... it asserts that you require specific proofs to draw a valid conclusion and make a claim. Until that point, anything is technically possible. And all you can base your beliefs on are levels of probability. You have insinuated in your earlier thread that atheism and belief in god are black and white statements... that he exists or he doesn't exist. In theory this is correct. But in reality none of us know either statement to be absolutely true. What atheism does is asserts is that based on what we know of the world thus far, the probability that a supreme being exists is very very low... (hence the point scale that Damon posted).

The scientific method works the same way... anything is technically possible until it has been proven valid or invalid (by accepting either the hypothesis or the null hypothesis)... until then we work on what we currently know... and the merits of probability. The absence of belief or non-belief is that we do not uphold something to be fact when you can't prove it. That's science in it's most basic form... on a philosophical level... Sorry I can't find the actual word "non-belief" in the little grade school outline of the scientific method that you provided, but if I have to pick the point you might want to review closer, I'd say check wiki on "Analyze your Data and Draw a Conclusion". Ie. analyze current data supporting God's existence... if the data is weak, you cannot claim he exists, therefore you must conclude that there is high probability that he does not. Easy enough?

MrNudiePants wrote:

The scientific method is a way of testing an idea to see if it's true or not. How are you going to test for the truth behind religion? What experiment are you going to conduct? Again, positing your "non-belief" is just semantic crap. You believe that something doesn't exist (God, leprechauns, unicorns, whatever) and that's all there is to it.


You can't test the truth behind religion. That's the whole point Nudes... That's why you can't base your entire belief system around something as random as God, unicorns or leprechauns (although some people will try). I'd wager to say that an atheist's life isn't really affected much by whether God exists or not... but for religious people, their lives are very much affected by the blind believe that God does exists... we're talking worship, life choices, bloodshed, war, church donations, and condemnation and judgment.... The latter of which you're very good at by the way, so your beliefs are obviously working for you! happy8

LadyX
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:35:48 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart
Moderator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,813
Are we really 5 pages in, trying to argue the logic of religion? Religion isn't logical, it's about faith. Religion will never sound like a fine idea to those that don't have faith, and atheism will always seem unsuitable and impossible for those that do have faith. Both sides think they're being misjudged and belittled by the other.

But in this discussion, it's not even 'do you believe in god', it's now turned into 'can you justify faith and organized religion?', which is not only beside the point of the thread, but it apparently cannot be answered without it getting personal.
Guest
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:52:57 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 676,025
xuani..funny you said faith. i was thinking just that. Faith. it, to me, is the most dangerous part of religion. you simply cannot argue with it. its like beating your head against the wall.

the atheist says "look at the probabilities"
the religious say "Faith"
the atheist says "look at the destruction religion has wrought"
the religious say "Faith"
the atheist says "we have the science to back it up,"
the religious scream "FAITH"

the other dangerous piece of dogma is "free will". such a tidy explanation for the all mighty's continued physical absence on the planet and why he doesnt intervene on behalf of the truly needy. god seems to get all the credit and never the blame in my experience.

wish he would come on down...ive a few words for him myself.
sprite
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 2:54:51 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness
Moderator

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 16,914
Location: My Tower, United States
LadyX wrote:
Are we really 5 pages in, trying to argue the logic of religion? Religion isn't logical, it's about faith. Religion will never sound like a fine idea to those that don't have faith, and atheism will always seem unsuitable and impossible for those that do have faith. Both sides think they're being misjudged and belittled by the other.

But in this discussion, it's not even 'do you believe in god', it's now turned into 'can you justify faith and organized religion?', which is not only beside the point of the thread, but it apparently cannot be answered without it getting personal.


*shakes fist at you* you're wrong! i declare myself the winner! and furthermore, your dog is ugly!*bursts into giggles* i guess it helps that no one has yet to call me a dumbass, so i'm still enjoying the debate, even though i was aware, several pages back, that in the end, no minds would be changed, tempers would probably flare, and everyone one would come away muttering "i am right... one day, they will all see how right i am!" before disappearing into their fortress of solitude, wring their hands, and plot how next to take over the world... *cue theme song to Pinky and the Brain*

sunny

Live, love, laugh.
DamonX
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 4:16:33 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 798
Quote:
Religion isn't logical, it's about faith.


I think I made this argument previously when I said that religious people can't think logically about religion, even though they may be able to think logically about other things. Logic will never win an argument against religion because religion doesn't play by the same rules.

Nobody is trying to convert anyone. I know that it is impossible to convince a religious person otherwise. That is why I am against the teaching of religion to children before they have a chance to think for themselves. It is a long hard road back to reason after that.

Its just debate. For the enjoyment of ourselves and the people reading. There will be no winner. The winners are the people that read it and come away with a smile. Its all just entertainment after all. icon_smile
Rembacher
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 4:28:54 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,107
nicola wrote:
I'll answer later so as not to cause any thread bias laughing6



I don't think you have to worry about causing bias anymore, so, what are your thoughts?
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.