Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

We all live in Dogville? Options · View
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:25:48 AM

Dogville is a movie about a girl (Nicole Kidman) who is running away from the mafia during the Great Depression . She ends up in a little town called Dogville, in the middle of nowhere, in the deepest America , and Paul Bethany convinces the 12 dwellers to give her shelter and hide her from the mafia.

At first it looks like they are good people and want to help her out, risking themselves in order to do the right thing. So Nicole Kidman offers herself to retun the favour by working for them, doing the odd job here and there for any one of them, watering the plants, reading for the blind guy, ironing, cleaning, etc.

But little by little the dwellers start getting used to that new scenario and they feel entitled to ask for more and more...and eventually they turn her into an slave.

They use and abuse her in every possible way, until the situation gets out of control, so they decided to call the mafia and turn her in.

Little mistake, the cappo happened to the be father of Nicole Kidman and orders to kill everybody in town.

I wonder until what point would this be a fair picture of human nature? How entitled and greedy we get and how we demand more and more, regardless of any ethical consideration?

Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 3:28:39 AM

By the way, the artistic side is amazing, it was filmed in a warehouse, the town was just a bunch of white lines on the floor, it looks like a start-of-the-art play.

rxtales
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:30:20 AM

Thanks for giving away the story Lwinking

Just kidding, this is one of my favorite movies. I don't think it gives a very fair portrayal of human nature. There are some good points made. Everyone in that movie is exploitive. There isn't really anyone that helps her. I think it's human nature to be self centred but not THAT selfish. And the way they treat her is too the extreme.

I think one of the most powerful scenes in that movie is when she goes to the woman's house who had broken all her figurines. I won't give it away to people who haven't seen it, but if you have you'll probably know what I am talking about
She
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:53:58 PM

javier wrote:
By the way, the artistic side is amazing, it was filmed in a warehouse, the town was just a bunch of white lines on the floor, it looks like a start-of-the-art play.

Yes the whole movie was done extremely artistic, I loved it and made me realize that no matter how simple our boudaries are (those lines on the flor...) we just cannot past them, we just cannot get across them and look outside the box. Seriously amazing movie!

Javier wrote:

I wonder until what point would this be a fair picture of human nature? How entitled and greedy we get and how we demand more and more, regardless of any ethical consideration?

Made me wonder as well, but become quite cynical over the years of wondering and realised that the only thing I can change is myself, the world is going in one direction and movie was theatrical portrayl and pointing out human "qualities" on very raw brutal way but sometimes we need that to get enlightened..
Sometimes I think that we are worse than Lars Von Trier presented us.. we are hiding behinde masks of politenes, bonton, humanity.. but deep down we are as bad as characters in Dogville are..

cunnilinguist
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:05:54 PM

Yeah sometimes I too think like that... We can just take everything for granted and keep wanting more.