Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Are intelligent people less likely to believe in god.....? Options · View
MrNudiePants
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 7:31:32 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,226
Location: United States
Dancing_Doll wrote:

Great mediating skills Nudie... The rest of the moderators must be extremely proud of your ability to be a calm, rational example to the rest of the forum-goers with your so-called "title". Real classy. Aren't you a gun-owner as well? Might want to call up big pharma to help you out with your anger management there. Or judging by this post, maybe you're already on the pills and vodka. Either way, it's pretty pathetic.


Are you saying that you and dames are the only ones allowed to call people names and be insulting? Why is that? Did I hurt your iddle-widdle feelings? If so, then good. And I hope I hurt dame's iddle-widdle feelings also. You two like to be insulting and act like spoiled brats around here. That's no secret. Dames in particular acts like his parents never taught him any manners, or how to disagree with someone politely, without acting like a jackbag. I posted what I did, the way I did, to make a point. Several points, in fact.

First, I wanted you to know how I really feel. It doesn't take an overabundance of human compassion to not act like dames does. You just have to be polite. Acting like an asshole all the time doesn't add to this site in any way. In fact, it surely takes away from it. There's no way to know how many people would post in the Think Tank but don't because they don't want to have all that scorn and derision heaped on them, but I feel sure that more than one have been turned away once they read how he (and you) treat fellow Lushies.

Second, I wanted to remind you that people do have feelings, and the way you two act toward people hurts them. You can state an opposing viewpoint without being an asshole about it. You hide behind the sinecure of "This is Adult Swim, Baby" and "It's all honest debate - people know what they're getting into when they post here", but in reality, you're just being hurtful toward people for no reason other than you enjoy hurting others. And that's not only criminal, it's inhuman. People that enjoy hurting others for no reason are not 'people', they're psychopaths.

Third, you two seem to enjoy posting opinions that you may not actually hold, just to cause controversy. Or you post them in such a way as to be the instigator of controversy, of arguments. Is it any surprise when someone turns it around on you?

For the record, I hope that will be the last time I post something like that. I don't enjoy being rude, nor do I enjoy being insulting. Hurling insults is something you do when you've run out of arguments. Unfortunately, it's the first thing you and dames do, as a matter of course. It's like your attitude is "the first one to draw blood wins". It's counterproductive, adds nothing to the site, adds nothing to the ongoing debate, and only serves to deter other people from posting. I posted it to give you a small sample of how you treat others, and hope that maybe you'll see how others feel about it. I do want to apologize to Nic, if she's watching. I know I should have cleared that diatribe through her before I posted it, but I saw an opportunity and I took it. I've previously asked dames in private messages not to be so insulting and obsequious, and not only did he not change his ways, he became more insulting and hurtful in the way he treats others. His kind of behavior is something we don't need around here.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 7:40:22 PM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,866
Location: Cakeland, United States
May I offer a time out? I have an itch and only I can scratch it.



Please, carry on.

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.
SweetPenny
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 7:51:52 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/15/2010
Posts: 1,274
Location: State of Confusion
I never should have clicked. Now I have a headache. isjda
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 8:16:41 PM

Rank: Alpha Blonde
Moderator

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 7,217
Location: Your dirty fantasy
MrNudiePants wrote:
Dancing_Doll wrote:

Great mediating skills Nudie... The rest of the moderators must be extremely proud of your ability to be a calm, rational example to the rest of the forum-goers with your so-called "title". Real classy. Aren't you a gun-owner as well? Might want to call up big pharma to help you out with your anger management there. Or judging by this post, maybe you're already on the pills and vodka. Either way, it's pretty pathetic.


Are you saying that you and dames are the only ones allowed to call people names and be insulting? Why is that? Did I hurt your iddle-widdle feelings? If so, then good. And I hope I hurt dame's iddle-widdle feelings also. You two like to be insulting and act like spoiled brats around here. That's no secret. Dames in particular acts like his parents never taught him any manners, or how to disagree with someone politely, without acting like a jackbag. I posted what I did, the way I did, to make a point. Several points, in fact.

First, I wanted you to know how I really feel. It doesn't take an overabundance of human compassion to not act like dames does. You just have to be polite. Acting like an asshole all the time doesn't add to this site in any way. In fact, it surely takes away from it. There's no way to know how many people would post in the Think Tank but don't because they don't want to have all that scorn and derision heaped on them, but I feel sure that more than one have been turned away once they read how he (and you) treat fellow Lushies.

Second, I wanted to remind you that people do have feelings, and the way you two act toward people hurts them. You can state an opposing viewpoint without being an asshole about it. You hide behind the sinecure of "This is Adult Swim, Baby" and "It's all honest debate - people know what they're getting into when they post here", but in reality, you're just being hurtful toward people for no reason other than you enjoy hurting others. And that's not only criminal, it's inhuman. People that enjoy hurting others for no reason are not 'people', they're psychopaths.

Third, you two seem to enjoy posting opinions that you may not actually hold, just to cause controversy. Or you post them in such a way as to be the instigator of controversy, of arguments. Is it any surprise when someone turns it around on you?

For the record, I hope that will be the last time I post something like that. I don't enjoy being rude, nor do I enjoy being insulting. Hurling insults is something you do when you've run out of arguments. Unfortunately, it's the first thing you and dames do, as a matter of course. It's like your attitude is "the first one to draw blood wins". It's counterproductive, adds nothing to the site, adds nothing to the ongoing debate, and only serves to deter other people from posting. I posted it to give you a small sample of how you treat others, and hope that maybe you'll see how others feel about it. I do want to apologize to Nic, if she's watching. I know I should have cleared that diatribe through her before I posted it, but I saw an opportunity and I took it. I've previously asked dames in private messages not to be so insulting and obsequious, and not only did he not change his ways, he became more insulting and hurtful in the way he treats others. His kind of behavior is something we don't need around here.



Don't worry Nudes, you didn't hurt my feelings... i'm a cold-blooded psychopathic creature, as you put it, I have none. icon_biggrin

Actually, I said it because you, as a "Thread Mediator" are held to a higher accountability and a higher standard than anyone else who posts in this Tank. Right? If you want to hand in your sash, and become a civilian again, then feel free to wallow in the mud, as you see fit. Til then, I think you're supposed to act the part, and not call me an 'asshole', a 'spoiled brat' and a 'psychopath' in public. That's what your friend's list is for... to bitch to people who care in the privacy of your own chat-log.

I, for one, stand by any opinions I've ever posted in the forum. I know it's hard for you to imagine that someone could share a different viewpoint from your ego-centric world, but occasionally they do. I don't routinely attack people either. You might want to "reread my posts", and get better acquainted with my style. Try not to generalize just because you and I have debated in the past. There is a whole other world outside of Nudie-Land. I'm pretty sure you're the only Lushie sticking the pins in the Dancing_Voodoo_Doll at this point. And even if there are others, it doesn't really matter. I have no nerve-endings or feelings anyway. Awesome!

And I know you tend to confuse me with Damon, but you might want to check the avatars to help you differentiate before you throw a tantrum. That's what they're there for, baby! Or, if it's easier for you, maybe we should just get matching avatars to help you out?

And now, finally on a serious note. I love you MrNudiePants (in an extremely non-sexual way, obviously... haha). This place just wouldn't be the same without you. Lwinking




Jacknife
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 4:23:07 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/27/2008
Posts: 197
Location: United Kingdom
personally, I don't think a persons intelligence comes into said debate. what I am more concerned about is whether people believe what they believe for intelligent reasons.

It annoys me when people are religious for bad reasons, (Fine tuning, Pascals Wager, tradition, etc) , but it also annoys me when people call themselves atheists for badly thought out reasons too

Guest
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 4:51:37 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 821,042
Jacknife wrote:
personally, I don't think a persons intelligence comes into said debate. what I am more concerned about is whether people believe what they believe for intelligent reasons.

It annoys me when people are religious for bad reasons, (Fine tuning, Pascals Wager, tradition, etc) , but it also annoys me when people call themselves atheists for badly thought out reasons too



I agree with ya Jack. Something that annoys the hell out of me is someone who professes to be a believer and then lives their life as if they've never heard of their religion. Lying, cheating, stealing, basically being hypocrites and then thinking everything is fine cause they're baptized and saved.
LadyX
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 4:56:58 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,773
Jacknife wrote:
it also annoys me when people call themselves atheists for badly thought out reasons too



What would you say is a poor reason to be atheist?
Jacknife
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 5:10:23 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/27/2008
Posts: 197
Location: United Kingdom
LadyX wrote:
Jacknife wrote:
it also annoys me when people call themselves atheists for badly thought out reasons too



What would you say is a poor reason to be atheist?


Wanting to live an immoral life

Popular trends

Personal reasons against a particular religion.

I really only want people on my team who understand properly why they are atheists
LadyX
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 5:16:13 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,773
I didn't know we had teams. I don't think there is a god, I'll leave it to others to give that a label or determine my intelligence for thinking so.
myself
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 5:28:30 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/17/2010
Posts: 966
Location: .showyourdick.org/
I feel religious faiths and personal beliefs are far removed form individual intelligence. Hasn't the history of man proven that? Many of our most intelligent people do and did believe in some sort of religion and others, don't and didn't.

edit-I believe everything is God and so we are God ourselves. I believe in you LadyX.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Jacknife
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 5:45:43 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/27/2008
Posts: 197
Location: United Kingdom
LadyX wrote:
I didn't know we had teams. I don't think there is a god, I'll leave it to others to give that a label or determine my intelligence for thinking so.


hey thats cool, and i'm sure you could explain to people on an interlectual basis the reasons for coming to such a conclusion.

I just know people who don't believe just becuase they don't want to and don't care about why they don't believe
Magical_felix
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 6:15:14 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 7,926
Location: California
DamonX wrote:


icon_biggrin You're getting pretty good at this. This one really made me crack a smile.


Yes, I think Intelligent people are more likely to question the unbelievability of what some of the leading religions of the world preach. In my life It's pretty black and white, my uneducated side of the family is religious. The ones that have a college degree are not.




Guest
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 7:30:42 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 821,042
i think when intelligent people believe its because they choose to, want to. they've asked the questions and have chosen to believe in the higher power of whatever persuasion.

less intelligent people believe because their parents told them they would go to hell. i know some people that believe just to "hedge their bets" you know, just "in case" there is a god. i always wonder and want to ask them..."but wont you be soo pissed off if you've picked the wrong religion and have been following the wrong set of rules this whole time?" ;-)
DamonX
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:27:12 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/25/2009
Posts: 799
Rembacher
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:10:27 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,107
DamonX wrote:


I'm curious about your source for this Damon. The line seems a little off. I would expect the slope to be a little less steep due to the block within 5 of the 65% importance range, and between the 100 and 104 IQ range. By my count 18 of the 52 states fall in that range. I'm also curious about the explanation of how North Dakota and Vermont can be so different on religion when their IQs appear to be identical. At the low end, how about Hawaii and Alabama? Same IQ, but a 25% difference in religious importance. All the averages fall within a little over 10 IQ points of each other, is that really a big difference? That's less than a 10% difference in intellegence from one end of the scale to the other. How much difference in intelligence is 10 IQ points?

On another note, all but 4 states consider religion important, although I wonder what that even means. Important in their lives? Important to society? I would argue religion is very important to all American lives. If not Christianity, Islam definitely is. Regardless of whether the average American believes in Islam, the religion, and the actions of it's followers, specifically the extremist followers, affects their lives. It's costing them billions of dollars in war and forcing them to give up privacy in the name of security.

I can't help noticing that all 4 of the "intelligent/non-believing" states are New England states. So, couldn't the argument be made that geography, or perhaps environment factor in religious belief? This graph shows more conclusively that intelligent people tend to live in northern states, than it shows that they don't believe in God.

And lastly, I'll point out that these are averages of entire states measuring two separate things. While all but four states responded that religion is more important than not, we don't actually know whether it was the intelligent or the unintelligent who drove those answers in any one state.
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:11:14 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 821,042
http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/?

This may have been posted elsewhere, but oh well. It seemed to be a line with what is being discussed herein.

Take the challenge, no do overs, no excuses.

I got 67%, 10 out of 15.
rxtales
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:55:54 AM

Rank: Advanced Wordsmith

Joined: 11/28/2008
Posts: 2,589
Location: Newcastle, United Kingdom
I got 14 out 15. Just didn't get the last one.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:43:48 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,226
Location: United States
I got three wrong. Apparently, I'm still better than 87% of the population.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:58:07 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,866
Location: Cakeland, United States
eiotis123 wrote:
http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/?

This may have been posted elsewhere, but oh well. It seemed to be a line with what is being discussed herein.

Take the challenge, no do overs, no excuses.

I got 67%, 10 out of 15.


I'm as whacked out as you are, dude.

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:13:30 AM

Rank: Artistic Tart

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,773
14 of 15!! But I guessed right, instead of really knowing, on at least 3 of them.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:00:57 AM

Rank: Alpha Blonde
Moderator

Joined: 2/17/2010
Posts: 7,217
Location: Your dirty fantasy
I got 13 out of 15, but I guessed on a couple as well. I love multiple choice. geek


Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:05:33 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,107
12 out of 15. Tripped up by Catholic views on communion, US supreme court ruling on the bible as literature , and the "First Awakening"
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:48:33 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/10/2009
Posts: 2,226
Location: United States
LadyX wrote:
14 of 15!! But I guessed right, instead of really knowing, on at least 3 of them.


I had to guess on three as well. Usually I'm pretty good at guessing games, but this time I got all three wrong. D'oh!
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:07:09 PM

Rank: Divine Rapscallion

Joined: 8/15/2010
Posts: 3,017
Location: On the ragged edge of disaster
I knew 14 out of 15, but had no idea about the "First Great Awakening." Still don't, except for the name associated with it. dontknow

Maggie Rascal
LusciousLola
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:48:40 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 3/5/2010
Posts: 2,918
You answered 11 out of 15 questions correctly
for a score of 73%.
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:37:34 PM

Rank: Wild at Heart

Joined: 4/3/2010
Posts: 7,926
Location: California
14 of 15. I got the one about the Jewish Sabath wrong, I thought it was Saturday. I totally guessed on the Protestant reform question and the last question about the preachers.

Guest
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:49:55 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 821,042
11 of 15...then nuns of my catholic school would be slapping me with rulers...heheee!
Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:15:58 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,107
Magical_felix wrote:
14 of 15. I got the one about the Jewish Sabath wrong, I thought it was Saturday. I totally guessed on the Protestant reform question and the last question about the preachers.


It is Saturday, but it starts at sundown Friday night. The wording of the question was designed to trip you up.
Jillicious
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:09:14 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/28/2009
Posts: 1,293
You answered 13 out of 15 questions correctly for a score of 87%.


My opinion about this subject would be based on anecdotal evidence of the area that I live in. No scientific backing whatsoever.
There are many well off, though not really rich people, who live in my region of the world. Around here it is a bit more backwards than what some may have said or tried to prove. There is a large number of people with masters or doctorate degrees who do rather well for themselves. There are also many business owners who have made quite a name for themselves on a local level. They are driven in their fields and also in their religious convictions. It seems to me, at least in this area, that it is those who are not driven or who do not aspire to be more are predominately atheists.

There are atheists and religious alike throughout all social classes, despite intelligence. As Jebru stated it most likely has to do with geographical location than religion. The religion/intelligence debate is most often brought up by those who have a desire to feel superior to their fellow man. Good luck with that.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
Jacknife
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:52:52 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 8/27/2008
Posts: 197
Location: United Kingdom
14 from 15. Mucked up the suffering question! Boooo
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.