Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Recommended Autobiographies? Options · View
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 7:04:57 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed Nick Cave's "Bad Seed".

Richard Branson's "Losing my virginity" was incredibly interesting too.

Bob Dylan's "Dylan on Dylan" was hard to get through but memorable.

Which autobiographies have you read which you recommend?
rxtales
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:39:38 AM

I like to read autobiographies by non-famous people.

My favourite is probably Population 485 by Michael Perry. It's pretty humorous.

Some other ones I have read is the Nazi Officer's Wife and A Piece of Cake. I have read some really good ones recently, but I can't remember what they were called.

I used to really be into Torey Hayden's books. She is a children's psychologist and writes about certain children she has worked with.

Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:26:39 PM

Mark Twain
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:52:30 PM

Michael Palin diaries, offer a great insight into the start of his careers and the highs & lows of Monty Python.

Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts a true story you just won't believe of an escaped prisoner from Australia hiding in the slums of India who discovers life there.
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:47:13 PM

Richard P. Feynman

At one time, he was the "world's smartest man", and he was on the board to investigate the first space shuttle disaster. (He did it with a glass of ice water and a piece of the O-ring material.) He was a great physicist but the reason I liked him is because he was a laid-back character; someone you could have a beer with (which he did with his friends). He hated stuffy people, thus the title of his autobiography.

Quote:
Working at Los Alamos, Feynman cracked safes containing the secrets of the bomb (for fun). He challenged an abacus salesman to an arithmetical duel. He trained himself to sniff like a bloodhound. He played frigideira in a Brazilian samba band. In Las Vegas, he learned the ways of gamblers and show girls. He gave his first physics lecture in front of Einstein.

I'm sure Jillicious would like this book.
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 2:52:36 AM

roccotool wrote:
Richard P. Feynman

At one time, he was the "world's smartest man", and he was on the board to investigate the first space shuttle disaster. (He did it with a glass of ice water and a piece of the O-ring material.) He was a great physicist but the reason I liked him is because he was a laid-back character; someone you could have a beer with (which he did with his friends). He hated stuffy people, thus the title of his autobiography.

Quote:
Working at Los Alamos, Feynman cracked safes containing the secrets of the bomb (for fun). He challenged an abacus salesman to an arithmetical duel. He trained himself to sniff like a bloodhound. He played frigideira in a Brazilian samba band. In Las Vegas, he learned the ways of gamblers and show girls. He gave his first physics lecture in front of Einstein.

Thanks Rocco. That helps me with an upcoming birthday present for someone I know.
Algol
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 5:58:03 PM

Alice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock 'n' Roller's Life and 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict Great Book!thumbup

Algol