Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Mobile / cellphone mishap stories Options · View
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:12:07 PM

Tales of lost / broken phones / messages sent to the wrong people etc - share yours, everyone has one!

I was learning to sail on Sydney harbour about 12 years or so ago, and had one of those slippery little Ericsson phones, it was top of the range at the time.

I was rather silly and answered it just as we were tacking. It ended up like so many do apparently, on the seabed somewhere near shark island. d'oh! The company paid for it, no drama, although they weren't particularly impressed!

It was one of these:

sassycheergirl
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:05:13 PM

sent a text to my friend that i was going to strip them naked...yeah she knew it wasnt for her...i was really embarrassed tho...now i make sure...she still gives me a hard time about it tho...

*smiles, hugs, and lollipops*

Sassy
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:16:28 PM

last day of school in the summer, had just got a new nokia touch screen phone, put it in my bag and on the way home it hammered it down with rain. there was an inch of water in my bag, the bottom was waterproof but not the top, and my phone was sitting in it. i got in to much trouble for 'not taking care' of it XD
obscura
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:27:54 PM

*Throws iPhone*
"Oi Tom, catch!"
"Huh?"
Bang!

I've also dropped a cellphone in a public toilet. Found the cleaner and he was good enough to put on his gloves and bag it for me. Never used that phone again. Moral of the story: Don't pee, drink and txt.

Speaking of texting and drinking, send a text to my dad instead of a girl with a similiar name, Danny, declaring what I wanted to do with her that night. Cancel! Cancel! 'Message sent!'... Oh shiiii, erm hi Dad.

Oh god, theres so many texts I have sent to the wrong person accidentally.

Sent a text to my mum saying that she needs to 'kick his arse.' Predictive text decides I am trying to type 'lick' not 'kick'. Ohhh dear.

Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:54:35 PM

Walking across a bridge over the Amstel in Amsterdam with a colleague, on our way to rehearsal ... her phone rings in her bag ... she hurries to get the phone out of her bag and wants to get it out, pick up the call and put the phone to her ear all in one movement, with one hand, while carrying her violin in the other hand ... predictable result: splash ... the phone ends up in the Amstel. It was a brand new BlackBerry. She had just gotten it because her previous phone had been stolen ...
SweetPenny
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:02:09 PM

I recently learned not to have my cell phone in my skirt pocket when I need to use the bathroom. I lifted up my skirt and my phone popped right into the toilet.
ImJustHere
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:16:20 PM

Oh man.....usually it's just a simple text to the wrong person, and usually it's easy to cover for.....................................................except once.

After a good long, intense weekend with a "wild" woman that I have known for about 16 years( but just re-aquainted with over the last 2 years)......I did the unthinkable.
As a joke(kinda), I tried to ask her in a text "Still sore from the last couple nights?"

Accidentally sent it to a dude I work with, whose name is the next one in the contact list............yeah, the next day at work was rather comical.
ImJustHere
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:19:16 PM

Oh, and about 8 years ago, a Nokia phone I had was used to break my fall when tripping into a friend of mine's house. It was in my palm, and then it was crushed when I landed, trying to stop myself with my hands.

See what drinking will do to ya...
Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 9:23:51 PM

As far as I know, I have never sent a text to the wrong person, but I have a friend who regularly texts me when she's trying to text her roommate. Our names aren't even similar, so I'm not sure how it keeps happening.

When I used to sell cell phones I was told that dropping them in the toilet is the number one reason they were sent for repair.
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:31:12 PM

I lent my son an old phone after him dropping his...yes you guessed it ...into a toilet. But was asked the following day who the lady was in the pictures. I hadn't deleted some pictures sent to me by a lady friend of herself in various stages of undress and self-exploration. He is fortunately in his twenties and teased me quite a bit ...but fuck me it was embarrassing!!! Go Dad!! ...were his words to me after I had got over the initial embarrassment.
Woman
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:58:39 PM

I wrote about one of my mishaps in my blog.... but I'll try to shorten it down a little bit.

I suffer occasionally from sleep walking/doing things in my sleep. It turned out my phone wanted to drink coffee in the middle of the night. So of course while I was sleeping, I prepared a cup of coffee, put the cup of coffee in my nightstand drawer next to my toys and proceeded to put my phone into the cup of coffee.

Woke up the next day and cried like a little baby while trying not to laugh at myself.

That was my Nokia e71.

My Moterola Rzor or something like that... some friends and I were taking the ski lift up to the top of Erdos/Ordos/Ardos sand dunes, and I wanted to take some pictures with my phone. So pulled it out as the folks going down squirted us with water guns. Yup. My way of getting them back? Throwing my phone at them. Clonked the man right in the head. I felt victorious, my phone was gone. So was the SIM card. The phone landed many many many metres down in the valley, and I watched it in slow motion as it smashed and burnt. We went back with watermelons later on. Now that was neat!!!!!

Text messages sent to the wrong person... oh yes. the stories I could tell.

There is a VERY good reason I do not have student numbers on my phone!!!!

Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
rxtales
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:24:45 AM

I have had so many phone accidents. Never dropped one into a toilet, but did drop one in a jug of Sangria.

I think in a previous thread I mentioned texting my mom's friend about how much I wanted him to tie me up.

The other day I texted a friend something filthy, but it was all part of an inside joke. Not only did she receive 5 times, my father received it 23 times and didn't find it so funny.

I also occasionally swap dirty texts with a man named James, unfortunately my best friend's name is James so I am always getting there texts mixed up.

You think I'd have learned not to send dirty texts.

Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 5:23:32 AM

bassman199 wrote:
Walking across a bridge over the Amstel in Amsterdam with a colleague, on our way to rehearsal ... her phone rings in her bag ... she hurries to get the phone out of her bag and wants to get it out, pick up the call and put the phone to her ear all in one movement, with one hand, while carrying her violin in the other hand ... predictable result: splash ... the phone ends up in the Amstel. It was a brand new BlackBerry. She had just gotten it because her previous phone had been stolen ...

Better the phone than her violin though, n'est pas?
rxtales
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 6:09:40 AM

Predictive text is always a problem. One time I was going camping with a friend and meant to text her "Remember to bring the Plates" Instead I texted "Remember to bring the Slaves"
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 6:34:44 AM

I let a sales rep talk me into one of these horrid little clamshells in May 2006. It was too tiny for my hands to manipulate it.

"It has texting capability and even has a digital camera, and you can play your mp3's on it too!"

I, like a few others have noted before me...just wanted a cell phone for phone calls. I've got four pretty nice (albeit old) digital cameras and other devices which play mp3s if I want to listen to music.

This damned thing was always falling out of my hands, or slipping off the clip I had attached to my belt just to the left of my front right jeans pocket.

After about a year of it falling to the ground from nearly three feet up in the air (it was pretty rugged) it finally flipped off my belt clip as I was climbing into someone's vehicle and fell to the street next to the curb. I picked it up, removed the SIM card and as he and I were driving to a ball game... I threw the wicked little piece of expensive shit off a bridge overpass where I hope it landed on the railroad tracks below and shattered.

I doubt it did, it was a ruggedly built little piece of crap.

The next day I went online and purchased one of these [below]. It would accept the same SIM card and it lasted me til just this past June. 3 years is pretty decent phone life anymore, especially when these phones are all engineered to only last 36-48 months as the manufacturers all develop new devices for new sales to promote more capitalism. Designed obsolescence, lovely concept, huh?

It had a shitty little digital camera, no mp3 capability, but you could drop it to a depth of 12' in a pool (I dove into one once with the thing clipped to my shorts) and it would still work after it dried out. Damned nice 'phone'. I suppose it was not very fashionable. I probably looked like a geek using it. But wtf, it worked perfectly for the intended purpose.

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
MMonroe
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 6:41:34 AM

All these stories about phones breaking! When i was younger and wanted a new phone for christmas I tried to 'accidentally' break mine by throwing it down the stairs, dropping it in the washing up bowl. Did the damn thing break? No it did not!

*Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable?*

Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 7:00:13 AM

Not too big a deal, but I was texting my partner and a friend at the same time. I always end my texts to my partner with xxx. Anyway, I was arranging where to meet my friend before heading to the football, my last text went something like; Can't wait to see our boys come out later. See you soon xxx

Shit, I thought, did I just send that?

He replied with a change of pub suggestion, a well known gay pub. I appologised and offered to buy the first couple of rounds, in a non gay pub.

Lesson, more haste, less speed!
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:58:22 PM

My first phone was a gem(a brick) but it worked perfectly and played Snake. Then my bad luck with mobile phones started. I had 3 lifted/stolen off my desk at work(many moons ago). I dropped one in the toilet. Lost one in the train. Dropped one in a beer. Washed one but it worked (sort of)...I dropped one when I decided to do a impromptu dance thing with street benches on my way back to my hotel. It had a naked picture on it of me (curse you thief!!!). Ermm it's a family joke that I won't have a phone longer than a few months. Most of the mishaps occured when I was drunk(grins).
james5
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 5:44:03 PM

no desperately daft stories really, but yes as im sure everyone has ive sent the wrong text to the wrong person when u got similarly named people in the fone ........... i remember years ago when i first got a mobile i txt my cousin (a female "joanne but saved as "jo") something tht was not meant for her but for a male "jo" a colleague from work - passing a message from a customer in the club we both worked in .... tht didnt make for a very pleasant conversation the next day

Me.
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 10:51:54 AM

MMonroe wrote:
All these stories about phones breaking! When i was younger and wanted a new phone for christmas I tried to 'accidentally' break mine by throwing it down the stairs, dropping it in the washing up bowl. Did the damn thing break? No it did not!

i did the same thing once, managed to break it in the end by stamping on it and having the flip screen break off. i got a new phone within weeks and i dropped in the week and had the screen crack and the casing slip open and bend. hmmm, lucky i had a warranty :p
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:07:34 PM

I've just assasinated another mobile phone with a half opened bottle of water which accidently opened in my bag. Ha ha! I can laugh now but I sense that I'm jinxed with mobile phones and other electronica.