Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Why do you believe God exists? Options · View
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 5:47:10 PM

Open to Christians, Atheists, Jews, and even Scientologists! A recent post got me thinking about it, and I'm just curious what others say about it. Here is what I have to say about it:

I do not believe in God. That being said, I believe the idea of God exists for a deeper reason. People don't just need something to point to for all the scientific mysteries, they also need something they can hope in. The movie I believe refers to this best is The Invention of Lying. In the story, a woman is about to die, and she is depressed because she knows that there is no afterlife and death is final. However, the main character is able to make her believe in Heaven through lying to her. This gives her joy, and most importantly, hope. Society can function without hope, but it would be much more depressing. God may not exist, but he gives inspiration to the uninspired, wealth to the poor, kindness to the impolite, faith to the faithless, and most importantly, hope to the hopeless.
SadBi-Virgin
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 9:43:31 PM

I am unable to believe in a judeo-christian god, a higher power perhaps but to try and prove such a thing is an absurd quest.
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 11:20:19 PM

Funny, for a group of people that look down so much on God and religion, there sure are a lot of threads about God and religion. Why do you obsess about something that you say doesn't even exist anyway?

For me, I know God exists. He lives in my heart, he is always walking with me no matter what.
SweetPenny
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:21:13 PM

Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:25:39 PM

SweetPenny wrote:

Paid for by the Association of Gawd Givz U Kookiez
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:46:20 AM

"(actually, beautiful women are almost always the most boring; that is why some people feel that there is no God)" --Woody Allen, diary entry 1973

"hey, dont get mad at me; i didnt say it" --anton 2010

coffee