Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Alcohol is the most lethal drug, outranking heroin, crack cocaine, and marijuana Options · View
AppleOfYourEye
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:52:50 PM

I dont know which substance is more deadly, but if you take the addicts (to hard drugs...and I include MJ in this as well) who die from complications of thier current OR former addictions, the number is much higher. While you may not die from an OD of MJ you can have serious side effects later on in life that will cause you to have a heart attack, stroke, cancer etc. This is true for all drugs no matter what it is, ETOH / H / coke / MJ / X etc they are all deadly in thier own right.

I for one hopw that MJ doesnt become lawful, I see that as a step in the wrong direction. A person's perceoption is off and they can cause just as many problems on the job or behind the wheel as any drunk. I dont know who said it but someone mentioned addicts aren't mean when they are high but drunks are...i would like to know who you have been around, I grew up in a house with a drunk and a druggie ... the drunk was mean but he never beat me however I cant say that for the person who was high, and it didnt matter what he was high on MJ / H etc. Now, that doesnt mean that every druggie is mean, I'm sure there are happy addicts just like there are happy drunks.

Just my two cents. happy8

Apple
myself
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:59:48 PM

They're all lethal. My Uncle Darrel die because of pot and cigarettes.

Torture the data long enough and they will confess to anything.
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 3:07:16 PM

Marijuana is illegal in most of the world, while alcohol is legal, despite the fact that alcohol is a far more dangerous drug than marijuana in every way. People concider marijuana to be a dangerous drug, while they think alcohol is being a fun beverage. They concider those who sell marijuana drug dealers, the scourge of society who should be hunted down and imprisoned. Those who sell alcohol are of course not placed in the same category.

Logically, it should be the other way around. Alcohol tends to make many people aggressive, leading to a variety of violent crimes. Marijuana does not. Alchol is a central nervous system depressant, and leads to a serious loss of coordination and motor skills. At larger dodes, alcohol renders one completely unconscious. Drunk drivers cause enormous numbers of auto accidents and deaths. Marijuana is not a central nervous system depressant and does not cause anywhere ner the motor control that alcohol does. Large enough does of alcohol can kill you while the same caannot be sid for marijuana.

I think people are looking at this based on their feelings. Marijuana feels like a drug. It's illegal isn't it? Alcohol feels like a fun beverage. It' legl and socially acceptable, so it feels ok so it must be ok.

WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:44:22 PM

tandie wrote:
Marijuana is illegal in most of the world, while alcohol is legal, despite the fact that alcohol is a far more dangerous drug than marijuana in every way. People concider marijuana to be a dangerous drug, while they think alcohol is being a fun beverage. They concider those who sell marijuana drug dealers, the scourge of society who should be hunted down and imprisoned. Those who sell alcohol are of course not placed in the same category.

Logically, it should be the other way around. Alcohol tends to make many people aggressive, leading to a variety of violent crimes. Marijuana does not. Alchol is a central nervous system depressant, and leads to a serious loss of coordination and motor skills. At larger dodes, alcohol renders one completely unconscious. Drunk drivers cause enormous numbers of auto accidents and deaths. Marijuana is not a central nervous system depressant and does not cause anywhere ner the motor control that alcohol does. Large enough does of alcohol can kill you while the same caannot be sid for marijuana.

I think people are looking at this based on their feelings. Marijuana feels like a drug. It's illegal isn't it? Alcohol feels like a fun beverage. It' legl and socially acceptable, so it feels ok so it must be ok.

wtf was this?

Marijuana is just as much a drug as alcohol.

Both have differing affects upon users.

All drugs alter the state of the 'sober' brain. If you don't agree with the term sober, that is your opinion.

If you don't agree that drugs mess with brain chemistry, that is your opinion. Don't try to teach anyone else that one drug (alcohol is a drug, incidentally) is better or worse than another.

Geeze Louise.

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
MrNudiePants
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:10:32 PM

tandie wrote:

I probably shouldn't admit this. Since I am going to admit to it, I should probably be a little more embarrassed by it, but what the heck... I was young, and dumb. And I'm sure the statute of limitations has long since run out.

Back when I was a teen, I used to partake of illegal substances. Shoot, I was underage, so even drinking alcohol was illegal for me. In any event, I used to get so totally shit-faced that I could barely stand, three or four times a week. I used to smoke so much (or mix booze and pills, or whatever) that I would come really close to becoming a breathing mannequin. I'd force myself to drive home so I wouldn't get in trouble with my parents, who were mostly blind to my recreational activities. Combine luck, amazing driving skills, and an incredible talent at acting straight in front of a cop, and I was never busted, nor did I even kill anybody in my travels.

My personal experience has always been that it really didn't matter what drug I was high on; fucked-up was fucked-up and one shouldn't be driving when fucked-up.

Your mileage may vary.
Rontre
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 10:23:56 PM

Wtf did I just read ? I can't believe that we are still debating whether or not alcohol is more harmful than marijuana. That's not even debatable. It's a proven fact that the dangers of alcohol far outweigh the dangers of pot. There is not one single organ in the human body that can't be affected by alcohol abuse. I agree with everything that tandie stated. I f anyone disagrees & thinks that Marijuana is more harmful than alcohol then show me the facts; not just your opinion. Everyone has an opinion on just about everything in life. Opinions should & must be of the informed nature. The only way to be informed or knowledgeable about anything is to research the facts so you know what you are talking about. If you can't back up what you are saying to be true then it would be wise not to say anything at all. It's not like giving an opinion on why you like this car better than the one parked next to it. Those are personal opinions. What we have been discussing are social issues that have a devastating impact on millions of people around the world. And the problem is not & I repeat, not from marijuana. Get the drunks off the highway & you will see a dramatic decrease in auto accidents; resulting in lower insurance premiums. Why do you think health care is hardly affordable to the average family. I guarantee it's not because of marijuana consumption. The only thing wrong with Marijuana.....IS OUR GOVERNMENT!!!!! And why is it that most people that work in the private sector are subject to drug testing & our members of Congress are not?
True pot & alcohol are both drugs........ Both have different effects upon the user. True again. Only alcohol effects are more devastating... True all drugs alter the state of the "sober' brain. Btw don't drink too much caffeinated coffee before you go to work... And yes all drugs mess with brain chemistry. That's what makes them so appealing... Coke, crack, heroin, speed, designer drugs etc to which I agree are garbage & should be dealt with accordingly. Get then off the street. Only thing is it's not possible. This country's drug policy has been a failure from the very beginning. The "Reefer Madness" that started sometime in the early 20th. Century is alive right now in 2010. Don't children know that it will turn one into a deranged, homicidal, perverted, woman beating, child molesting,................. or is that alcohol I'm thinking of??????????????

Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:37:28 AM

Alcolol is part of the very fabric of western christianised democracy. ''Do this in remenberance of me,'' as he drank the wine at the last supper. Its so wide spread that I have a job to think of anybody I know who does not drink. Naturally it has its causualties and AA does a fine job caring for them.
Don't you see the statistics are totally twisted they take no account of numbers. Why at this very minute millions of people are enjoying a drink with their meal of chatting with there friends in a pub. What happened when prohibition was tried in the usa? it failed.
We need to defend our way of life not castigate it. Its not perfect but its the best civilisation has come up with up to now.
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:25:26 AM

deadlogger wrote:
Alcolol is part of the very fabric of western christianised democracy. ''Do this in remenberance of me,'' as he drank the wine at the last supper. Its so wide spread that I have a job to think of anybody I know who does not drink. Naturally it has its causualties and AA does a fine job caring for them.
Don't you see the statistics are totally twisted they take no account of numbers. Why at this very minute millions of people are enjoying a drink with their meal of chatting with there friends in a pub. What happened when prohibition was tried in the usa? it failed.
We need to defend our way of life not castigate it. Its not perfect but its the best civilisation has come up with up to now.

You are so right on this deadlogger. Alcohol was as God intended it and we need to defend our rights and make sure that is doesn't get lumped into being called a drug. That's just ridiculous. How are people trying to say that drinking wine causes just as much harm as smoking a crack pipe? Get real. Drugs are the work of the devil and on a whole different level. The only thing I do is drink and smoke weed but weed isn't even a drug anyway.
Butterfly
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:02:01 PM

I have had my share of experiences with alcohol, pot, meth and coke. The latter two, just a few instances of socially partaking in them. I didn't really like the ziiiiiiingy and jumpy, hyper feeling I got from the speed...so thankfully I was done with my experimenting with those early on. I stated this earlier on the thread, I've smoked weed, liked it just fine....but had no problem giving it up once I started having kids and in between pregnancies I enjoyed smoking a bit of it here and there again off and on, haven't partaken in it in a few years, and can live without it. Alcohol and cigarettes are my vices these days. I enjoy a few drinks or a few beers usually on the weekends with the hubby and friends.

Smoking a joint or hitting a few bowls in a sitting may not be as disabling to the system as is say drinking a 6 or a 12 pack of beer or consuming a few mixed drinks in a sitting, I'm talking about being able to speak and function coherently and maintain mobility without stumbling and what not. Depending on how much one consumes on a daily basis of course, some people build up tolerances as we all know and can compensate pretty well. Still, it doesn't mean that either one is any less of a drug than the other.

And, I'm sure that the God the poster above is speaking about didn't intend for people to get shit-faced drunk on wine or whatever else type of spirits they decide to imbibe, but some folks do take it to that extreme, on a daily basis, and that can cause serious issues in a persons life when it gets to that point, just like crack or any other hard drug one chooses to use. Let's do get real! Yes, alcohol and weed both are drugs (that was taught in school, from my recollection)...with weed being the illegal one of the two.

Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:25:48 PM

Marijuana when smoked over long periods causes character changes in many of its adherents. They become indolent and all they want to do is sit around and smoke pot. They see the real world as an interference on their habit, it intrudes on there peace of mind. They tend to associate with others of similar mind sets and in serious cases they become what are called pot-heads. They believe that a pot smoking world would be a much better world. Perhaps the best and closest explanation of this is in Tennyson's poem ' The Lotus Eaters'. The drug has a sort of hallucinogenic effect on the mind making action far more difficult.
These mental dangers are rarely if ever spoken about for all concentration is focused on the physical effects. In fact with the advent of LSD the changed state of mind is looked apon as a benefit. We hear such statements as 'lets open up our minds and get high then we can see the world as it realy is'.
I believe Gerard Manley Hopkins was right when he said:
O the mind, mind has mountains; cliffs of fall
Frightful, sheer, no-man-fathomed. Hold them cheap
May who ne'er hung there.
Rontre
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:18:58 AM

For the recreational user moderation is the key. For the addict or alcoholic there is no such thing. If the drug has control over a person then they are screwed. I have known pot smokers that have never used any other drug. I have known heroin addicts that have never smoked pot.. Not everyone that smokes pot or uses an occasional drug is a junkie; and not everyone that drinks is an alcoholic.. I think you pretty well have a choice on how you conduct your life. I know there are exceptions to this & that's another story. I'm talking about the adult who has the competence to know the difference between right & wrong. Only ourselves can be held responsible for our actions. If the out of control drunk kills someone with his vehicle,gun, knife, hands or any other way & can live with himself then I can live with myself sitting in the privacy of my own home smoking a joint: which I do once or twice a week. I don't endanger the lives of anyone else...