Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Hunters for the Hungry. Options · View
MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:24:16 PM

From this link.

Quote:

Despite a booming economy, a stock market that reached historic heights in the last decade and reports of welfare reform success, wages for many Americans have simply not risen fast enough to cover the increased cost of living. To these Americans, food has become an unaffordable luxury. In the past year, of those people seeking emergency food relief, 35% - that's more than 1 in 3 - had to choose between paying their rent and buying food.

Based on the Census Bureau survey, USDA estimates that in 2000, 10.5 million U.S. households were food insecure, meaning that they did not have access to enough food to meet their basic needs. About 33 million people lived in these households, including 20 million adults and 13 million children. Hunger in America has, and continues to be, a real problem for a significant part of our population.

And this one.

Quote:

TWF’s Hunters for the Hungry Program collected and distributed over 100,000 pounds of venison to hunger relief agencies during the 2009/2010 deer season. As a result, more than 400,000 meals will be provided to individuals and families in need.

The meat collected represents a 30 percent increase over last hunting season, and an overall record of venison collected in a single season since the program began in 1995. The record breaking numbers occurred despite an overall decline in the annual deer harvest from the previous year.

And here.

Quote:
Since the program began in 2000, hunters have donated over 73,000 deer which were processed into over 3.3 million pounds of ground venison. The voluntary venison processing donation code added to the ALIS system in 2002 has netted more than $123,000 from some 40,000 hunters.

Wisconsin has a network of venison donation efforts including: Hunt for the Hungry, which operates in the Green Bay area; Target Hunger, which handles donations from the Chronic Wasting Disease Management Zone; and the Wisconsin Venison Donation Program, which covers all remaining areas of the state. USDA - Wildlife Services staff also help administer the programs in 49 counties. A total of 140 meat processors representing 65 counties will be participating in the programs in 2010.

“This kind of generosity is appreciated by many,” said Department of Natural Resources Secretary Matt Frank. “Hunters are helping in several ways when they participate in these programs. The venison is a welcome source of high quality food for needy families and is very popular; the extra dollars hunters donate really help in funding the donation program and the extra deer harvested helps move the herd closer to healthy population numbers.”

Some stats from Tennessee's 2009-2010 Hunters for the Hungry program:

1715.............................Total number of deer donated

100,888.........................Pounds of venison donated by Hunters for the Hungry

403,500.........................Number of meals provided, using the donated venison

$35,900.........................Cost to operate the Hunters for the Hungry program last year.

I wish I could buy my meat for just under 36 cents a pound.
Jillicious
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:51:14 PM

I personally think it's fantastic. Have you ever tried to fit an Elk and a mule deer in your freezer? It's pretty difficult. Especially when you still have a bit of that aggressive calf that kept charging the fence still left in there.

Best it goes to the needy and hungry than to waste. I guess I just don't understand why this would be considered a Think Tank topic. It is currently deer season. WTF am I doing posting here. I best be gettin' my rifle!

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.