Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Monastery Options · View
mrplow
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 3:55:08 PM

A man decides to give up all his worldly belongings and join a monastery.

The Head Monk says to him, "you have to take a vow of silence while you are here - every 7 years on this day we will speak again, but you are only allowed 2 words". The man nods and they go their separate ways to pray.

7 years pass and they meet. "What do you have to say to me my son" asks the Head Monk. "Bad food", comes the reply. The Monk nods and they part.

7 years pass and they meet. "What do you have to say to me my son" asks the Head Monk. "Uncomfortable bed", comes the reply. The Monk nods and they part.

7 years pass and they meet. "What do you have to say to me my son" asks the Head Monk. "I'm leaving", comes the reply. The Monk nods and replies, "I'm not surprised, all you've done is complain since you got here".

Pray
nicola
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 9:06:45 PM

heh - 21 years to figure it out =)
Scarletdown
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 9:34:10 PM

Ah, I actually remember a version of this joke being told by the hosts on an episode of Real People many many years ago.

Anyway, here's a take of this same joke that I did sometime last year in photostory form...

The Code of Silence

Once upon a time, a young lad joined a monastary. Now, this monastary had the strictest code of silence in the history of any monastic order. In fact, it was so strict, that except for the Grandmaster, the monks were only permitted to speak two words every ten years.

So, the first ten years pass by for this lad, and he is summoned to appear before the Grandmaster...

He then goes on his way to tend to his duties.

Another ten years pass in serene contemplative silence, and the monk again appears before the Grandmaster...

He then goes on his way to tend to his duties.

Another ten years pass in silence, and once more, it is time for him to appear before the Grandmaster...

mrplow
Posted: Friday, March 2, 2007 12:59:01 AM

Excellent stuff Scarletdown, love it.