Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Sex Education Called an “Attack on Religious Freedom” Options · View
Woman
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 11:53:02 PM

I found this article over at EdenFantasys.com and I thought you all might find it interesting to read. Yup!!! another religion thread!! I tried looking for something similar, but the "Do you beleive in god" thread, "creationism vs evolution" is close.. but not quite the same.

Quote:
Sex Education Called an “Attack on Religious Freedom”
January 12, 2011

Pope delivers verbal slap at new mandatory curriculum in Spain.
Late last year, Pope Benedict XVI made comments taking a stance on condom use in the context of disease prevention efforts. The Vatican later made a statement letting us all know the pontiff meant that condoms might be barely okay for HIV-positive sex workers, but for the rest of us, they're still a sin.

In his traditional New Year's address to ambassadors to the Vatican, delivered Monday, Benedict called sexual and civic education in schools an attack on religious freedom.

“I cannot remain silent about another attack on the religious freedom of families in certain European countries which mandate obligatory participation in courses of sexual or civic education,” said Benedict. He went on to say that sex education courses “convey a neutral concept of the person and of life, yet in fact reflect an anthropology opposed to faith and to right reason.”

The comments stem from a particularly heated battle between the Pope and Spain, which has recently implemented a mandatory citizenship curriculum that discusses things like homosexuality, divorce and abortion. Critics are calling Spain's decision “anti-Christian.”

So the big question I have for you all, is do you think it is a slap against religion to have students taught about sex, marriage, divorce, homosexuality etc?

And what about this one.. if you choose to send your children to a religious school, and they are not taught about sex-ed... would they still be getting a well rounded education?

For me personally; I have said on numerous times that I am a slave to my body and hormones. They are usually the driver and not me. Now I am much older than a teenager... But teenagers these days do indeed give into what their bodies are telling them more and more. So I do beleive in the an once of prevention is worth more than not at all.

I am not saying kids will be kids, but I am saying that today's youth in one possible way are having sex more than they did when I was a youth as a way of rebelling against their parents and society (Here in China too!!). Yes, every sperm might be sacred, but even though I am not properly religious, I do beleive that if there is a god/God/goddess/alien race looking into our petri dish of life- that protecting oneself from disease, harm... is not such a bad thing

There is more I would like to share on my thoughts on this, but before I become to long winded, I wanted to see and hear what others thought.

Take care!
w

Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:18:22 AM

seems to me that the church has always be advocates against education of any kind. Galileo was almost excommunicated for saying the earth revolves around the sun.

there is soooo much bad science in the bible and the church has so staunchly defended it that i think they realized education will lead to questions, questions would lead to correct scientific answers and those answers would lead to disbelief..
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:33:29 PM

Awwww, Benedict. What's the matter? Are you mad cause you can't burn, and torment those who don't believe?

Poor Benny, all dressed up and everyone is slowly leaving the party.
DamonX
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:34:42 PM

The catholic church against sex education? I kind of thought they were against ALL education.....angel7
Just-SJ
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 6:15:52 AM

I think anyone who calls educating our children about sex education, sexuality, homosexuality, marriage, divorce etc etc offensive to religion, or anti religion is ignorant.

The fact of the matter is, all those things are part of every day life, and to neglect to educate our children about them is to send our children into the world ill-equipped to deal with life. You do not have to agree with those things, you do not have to endorse them or approve of them, but you have to acknowledge they exist, because they do.

Follow my blog! Latest post: Shake Your Bootie
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 9:04:28 PM

Very true there SJ, but the Vatican is not exactly on being "up to speed" on things. Lets see, finally recognized Israel in 1993, and, oh yeah, this internal squabbling:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/vaticancityandholysee/7892666/Vatican-says-women-priests-a-crime-against-faith.html

Of course, child molesting priests are able to skirt the legal system, but woo there, don't teach people about safe sex. I would put them in the Hypocrites thread, but I think it would be redundant.

"Benedict called sexual and civic education in schools an attack on religious freedom." And you sir, are an attack on all logic. Not an anti-faith thing here folks, just talking about common sense and another idiot who wants to quash something that would actually help humanity.

I know, send them all to Ave Maria U so they can learn how to toss Pizza's;
http://www.avemaria.edu/monaghan/

Yes, just say no to Domino's. This dude wants to develop a whole community of Catholics only. Oh the horror, if history is a good example, Florida's population will be sky rocketing yet again by way of the rhythm method.

Dontholien
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:27:40 AM

Right, if i knew that my boys were going to a school where sex ed was not on the cards but they were teaching them to be "good catholics" instead they would be out that school so fast with a one fingered salute from me.

Now between us me and my partner have 3 boys all within 3 years of each other so when puberty hits this house it will hit hard! 3 randy teenage boys? Im not deluded, i dont think for 1 moment that they WONT try to get their leg over at every given chance and i know there is nothing i can do to stop them if thats what they really want to do so id rather them know as much about sex and methods of protection as they can and know less about this "God"

Imagine if you had a teenage daughter, can you imagine how scary it would be as her and as a parent to have no sex education? That just means she would be more likely to be "taught" by other teens who would be just as clueless unless they had an older brother/sister, never the best option.
TopThis
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:22:41 AM

Educators should focus on what it is that needs to be taught at school...writing, reading and arithmetic...especially with literacy rates dropping.

http://www.daybreaklit.com/2011/01/15/ignoring-dropping-literacy-rates-in-u-s-is-dumb/

Furthermore, church needs to stay out of education.

Its a simple case of know your role.

Southern_Sass
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:44:37 AM

I gotta agree with ya'll. Todays society is so blind. If they don't talk about it, it won't happen. Yeah, right! Kids are walking hormones. Sex ed needs to be taught in school along with the parents at home.

If the catholic church denys these kids sex ed, will they be responsible for the pregnancies and disease that result in their failure? NO they won't. If they tell the kids don't do it, then the kids wonder hmmmmmm why and go find out. They are gonna wonder and seek out the answers from, who knows what source, and be ill prepared for the consequences.

I have 3 girls, the oldest 14, thankfully we have a great relationship. It scares the hell out of me to think that some of her friends are already mothers. Church or no church, kids are having sex. Better that they are equipped with knowledge than going in blind.

Buddybear
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:30:11 AM

I agree with you folks. "Religious freedom" means the freedom to choose WHICH religion you participate in, or the freedom to choose NO religion at all. Many religions accept the scientific facts about the universe, life, and ourselves that we have discovered and verified. Sadly, many religions have NOT. Any religion that insists on teaching beliefs that contradict known facts, or teach beliefs that lead to ignorance and self-destructive behavior, have no one to blame but themselves. They have NO right to demand that government "enforce" their beliefs in the educational system. They have NO right to demand that non-believers and other-believers stifle their opinions, and subject their children to anti-scientific or self-destructive teaching. Teaching sex-ed honestly in school is NOT a slap at religion or an infringement on religious choice.

If I choose to join a religion that professes that pi equals exactly 3 (instead of 3.14159...), I have NO right to complain if my kids are taught the real value for pi in school.

You've been a bad girl! Now take your pajamas off and go to my room!
Woman
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:54:37 AM

Dontholien wrote:
Imagine if you had a teenage daughter, can you imagine how scary it would be as her and as a parent to have no sex education? That just means she would be more likely to be "taught" by other teens who would be just as clueless unless they had an older brother/sister, never the best option.

This bring sup a very good point Lady Elf....

Whose responsibility is it to teach students and kids about sex? Is it the school? The parents? A combination???

Living life and enjoying life are two different things... just need to figure out how to do both at the same time to live it right!

Woman... GO FLY A KITE!!!!! Take a slideshow walk with me on a walk through the parks of Inner Mongolia, China. Then enjoy the tale of a very traditional day in the life of a white Woman in China.
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:20:25 PM

Woman? Don't you know you're not to talk about that until you're married? What are you, some type of hussy?
Woman
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:05:53 PM

eviotis wrote:
Woman? Don't you know you're not to talk about that until you're married? What are you, some type of hussy?

*uses Eviotis' hand to facepalm herself...

Right!!! I forgot!!! Someone reminded me yesterday. The only way you can have babies is to be married.

And yes. I am a hussy. A wench. A slut. Did you not get the memo?

whorecrux
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:57:25 PM

Just-SJ wrote:
I think anyone who calls educating our children about sex education, sexuality, homosexuality, marriage, divorce etc etc offensive to religion, or anti religion is ignorant.

The fact of the matter is, all those things are part of every day life, and to neglect to educate our children about them is to send our children into the world ill-equipped to deal with life. You do not have to agree with those things, you do not have to endorse them or approve of them, but you have to acknowledge they exist, because they do.

Exactly. You said it better than I ever could have.

I wish that I was your coronary artery so that I could always be wrapped around your heart. --- ♥
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 10:10:18 PM

Woman wrote:
eviotis wrote:

*uses Eviotis' hand to facepalm herself...

Right!!! I forgot!!! Someone reminded me yesterday. The only way you can have babies is to be married.

And yes. I am a hussy. A wench. A slut. Did you not get the memo?

Yes, but it's all Greek to me.

enigma2010
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 7:44:27 AM

Aside from going into the deeper religious issues the might be addressed with this kind of question. The point is this it is true that in today our children are being exposed to sex at an ever earlier age than in the past. That being said I personally feel that it is the parent's responsibility to raise their children with an educated view of sexuality. Sexuality and its sub points differ from family to family. I think the real issue is that a lot of parents are too uncomfortable to teach their children properly about sex and all that it entails emotionally and physically. For this reason i feel that education in schools isn't an infringement on religious freedom as those that are education in school still are giving the ability to chose for themselves what direction they take on their sexuality. From my experiences with public based sex ed is that they tend to remain neutral as best they can on certain issues that were once deemed taboo, ie. homosexuality. But in no way do they tell the individuals in the classes that this is what they have to adhere to and force them to do so. I come from a very religious back ground but i have also come to see sex and sexuality can be a beautiful and freeing. I feel that religions have for too long put a strangle hold on sexuality and labeled it off limits. In a world where sex is every where they should be taking a role that is more embarrassing to show what sexuality means instead of ridiculing those who chose to express their sexuality openly.
active1
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:27:55 AM

knowledge is power and the church does not want you to have that
they are still living in the past and cannot prove anything they belive
Ziptie477
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:28:34 AM

active1 wrote:
knowledge is power and the church does not want you to have that
they are still living in the past and cannot prove anything they belive

This is the key! If you dont' think, you cannot know. If you don't know, you cannot decide. If you cannot decide, you follow whatever is told to you.
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:24:43 PM

Right, teaching kids something they'll find out on T.V. or the net is clearly wrong... Is the Pope really that fucking naive? Oh and I love the double standard of "HIV Positive can use them, but the rest of us(the Catholics) can't."

Oh uhh... Does this moron know that most people typically find out too late that they are HIV positive? And wouldn't it make sense to just prevent the spread of it all together? Better safe than Sorry right?

This isn't an attack on religious-freedom, its teaching people how to be safe from fatal and harmful diseases you dope.

On a side note, i have nothing against Catholics, but the Pope is being naive, ignorant, and a moron.Brick wall
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:21:56 PM

Doublespeak at 1:20:

Yes, doublespeaker, and the "alternative to death" would be education on the front end, and not doublesepak on the back end.