Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Gastric bypass surgery. Options · View
lovely_lady
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:16:41 PM

I came across this article and I decided to share it. I wasn't really sure where to post it but I thought in here was good enough.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/wellbeing/127kg-man-eating-more-to-qualify-for-weightloss-surgery-20110127-1a5r6.html

I don't even understand this and it seems unreal to me that anyone would have to gain weight just to get help to lose weight. As someone who works out and eats healthy often I couldn't even imagine having to do this. I understand that not everyone can lose weight with diet and exercise but having to gain weight just to get help seems somewhat absurd to me.
So I thought I would post it here and ask you all what are your thoughts on gastric bypass surgery? And what are your thoughts on this man having to gain weight to qualify?
rxtales
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:54:37 AM

That is just dangerous. I know a lot of people who have had gastric bypass, but a lot of times they aren't willing to change their eating or exercise habits, so they didn't really lose any weight, and it caused them a lot of pain. I think people forget that surgery can be dangerous and it can be seen as a quick fix, with minimal effort, but it still takes a lot. I remember when an aunt of mine had gastric bypass she would blend up all the food she used to eat. It's like she thought she she would have less of a calorie intake if it was in liquid form.

I had a cousin who had gastric bypass surgery and it helped him get started in eating more healthy and exercising. It helped motivated him, and see that if he put in work he could lose the weight he wanted to.

Somebody shouldn't have to gain weight to get help. They can get help without going to such extreme lengths. Find help for exercise and eating healthy. It's not a quick process.

As someone who struggles with their weight, I understand the desire to get surgery to help. I am no where near big enough to get gastric bypass surgery, but it doesn't mean that I haven't thought about other surgeries to reduce fat. Yet I have been losing weight through just exercising and eating healthy. So there just isn't the need to go through something that could potentially be very dangerous when I can do it in a healthy way.
ChelleLaBelle
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:19:49 AM

I am almost 300 lbs. I'd qualify for the gastric bypass. but there is no way i'd ever do it. I've heard of way too many people who just gain back what they lost and more. There is also something called the lap band. but again. I'd never do it. As of right now I have entered into a local radio contest called "CHOOSE TO LOOSE" and They are going to choose 5 people and they will supply them with a gym membership, personal trainer, health assesment, a nutrisionist and a few other things. I will know Monday or Tuesday if I was chosen! If you want to support me please go to http://www.facebook.com/#!/Kiss107 and vote for me! (Michelle Caudill) Just right on their wall. Please and thank you! -Michelle
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:30:47 PM

First of all this man is an idiot. The damage that he is doing to himself by forcibly trying to gain a large amount of weight as quickly as possible in order to qualify for surgery may end up tipping him into a serious health crisis. Even watching the documentary "Supersize Me", showed how quickly the body systems can crash with rapid weight gain and diet changes.

It seems he's able to stick to a diet of increased gluttony with ease. If he put that kind of focus and effort into a healthier lifestyle change, he might see some actual improvements. Going into a serious surgery is one thing, but working to make the body as unhealthy as possible before going into it is exceedingly dangerous.

For someone who is already naturally tipping the scales and wants the surgery, then more power to them. It's really meant (as Rxtales mentions) as an aid to eating smaller portions, and losing enough weight that one can become more mobile and motivated to work out and be active. But like everything else, over time if you don't change your lifestyle, the stomach can stretch right back out again.

I'm all for medical assistance if one doesn't have the willpower to start making healthy lifestyle choices, but people should be looking at the options available to them at their particular stage of obesity. Someone trying to gain weight to qualify for a treatment option is kind of missing the whole point of why someone should care about losing weight in the first place.

obscura
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:09:28 PM

The fact that he is deliberately gorging himself in order to qualify for a gastric bypass procedure tells that he will never be committed to the necessary aftercare. He needs to quit the chocolate cake, crisps and waddle to the local chippy and spend the money he would save on paying for his own surgery or health advice.

For the NHS, or whatever it is in the UK, to offer this to overweight people, they first need to ensure that the recipient is motivated to continue the regime after surgery. Better still, do away with this selection criteria and select patients on a case-by-case basis. The number of times I have heard of doctors recommending people gain weight in order to fit gastric bands is suprising. It's putting peoples lives at risk and it's all because of these strict guidelines. For a start, it's morally wrong.

Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:19:07 PM

They eat so unhealthy! Eat right, exercise, don't eat all the time, and you won't need any crazy surgery any way. And others are right, makes no sense to to gain weight just to have government give them opportunities to lose it. Take control of your life and your stomach overweight people!!
Just-SJ
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 5:08:04 AM

shi_squared wrote:
They eat so unhealthy! Eat right, exercise, don't eat all the time, and you won't need any crazy surgery any way. And others are right, makes no sense to to gain weight just to have government give them opportunities to lose it. Take control of your life and your stomach overweight people!!

Well, your comment isn't at all judgemental or based on stereotypes, or in the least ignorant. No, not at all.

On the original matter, this man is a fool. He is going to do irreparable damage to his body, and is creating more bad habits. Unless he can BREAK those habits, the surgery will be worthless. It's not a miracle cure; unless you are willing to change your diet, exercise, your entire lifestyle, it's a temporary fix at best. This man doesn't sound like he has the state of mind to be able to make those changes. He is looking for someone else to take responsibility for and help solve his problems. He should start looking at home- the government is not the only resort to get this surgery.

Follow my blog! Latest post: Shake Your Bootie
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 8:56:33 AM

Just-SJ wrote:
shi_squared wrote:

Well, your comment isn't at all judgemental or based on stereotypes, or in the least ignorant. No, not at all.

Hehe, do you feel better now, all high and mighty about it? Yeah there are exceptions but what causes most weight problems- bad food, too much of it, no willpower and not enough exercise. You said the same thing in your own comments- that the guy needs to change all of those things himself to begin with. After that you basically said the same thing as I did, you just wanted to call names I guess. Hope that was fun.Nutbag
LadyX
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 10:40:27 AM

This is what happens when bureaucracies make rules that allow for no exceptions. I do agree that it's odd for somebody to get more UNhealthy in order to get a real shot at being MORE healthy, but then again, when you're approaching 3 or 4 bills, gastric bypass is a far easier way to get significant weight loss than killing yourself physically for years on end- and yes I know that it's not supposed to be easy. From what I hear of gastric bypass recipients, it's far from easy on any of them. No matter what, it's up to each person to maintain whatever progress they make, no matter how they get there.

shi_squared wrote:
Take control of your life and your stomach overweight people!!

Shishi, you weigh a hundred pounds soaking wet. Easy for you to say.

Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 12:16:07 PM

I've lost a fuck load of weight by eating healthily and exercising. The benefits of this is that I lost weight sensibly and slowly. So no folds of excess skin from losing weight too quickly. I've tried various' get thin quick' schemes in the past to the detriment of my health and happiness. These are short term solutions to people with an unhealthy mental attitude to food. It smacks of laziness.

I really advocate exercise as a weight loss tool. It's great for toning your shape,great for your skin,great for increasing energy. I could go on and on and on.
Rembacher
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 1:35:30 PM

I understand the need to have a standard weight to reach to get the treatment, because you have to draw the line somewhere, but the optics of needing to get less healthy to be allowed help are definitely bad. As has been mentioned, eating right and exercising are better options than a quick fix surgery, but sometimes it's not that easy. I completely overhauled my diet a few years back and lost over 20 pounds, and feel much healthier now. But I have an uncle who is about 340 pounds. He's 6'2 and muscular so he doesn't look as fat as some people his weight, but he still definitely has fat that he needs to get rid of to improve his health. The problem is, if he exercises hard, his back hurts so bad he has to lay in bed for a few days, so he can never really make any progress against the weight. In his case, his frame just can't support it, so the surgery would make sense, and allow him to exercise.
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 1:40:20 PM

Jebru wrote:
I understand the need to have a standard weight to reach to get the treatment, because you have to draw the line somewhere, but the optics of needing to get less healthy to be allowed help are definitely bad. As has been mentioned, eating right and exercising are better options than a quick fix surgery, but sometimes it's not that easy. I completely overhauled my diet a few years back and lost over 20 pounds, and feel much healthier now. But I have an uncle who is about 340 pounds. He's 6'2 and muscular so he doesn't look as fat as some people his weight, but he still definitely has fat that he needs to get rid of to improve his health. The problem is, if he exercises hard, his back hurts so bad he has to lay in bed for a few days, so he can never really make any progress against the weight. In his case, his frame just can't support it, so the surgery would make sense, and allow him to exercise.

There are plenty of low impact exercise for people with back problems caused by being overweight. Water aerobics,swimming etc...And if he changes his diet the weight will fall off as he is male and they tend to lose weight quicker.
Jillicious
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 1:42:43 PM

The diet for post gastric bypass surgery is worse than a regular diet. Only very small portions of certain types of foods can be consumed.

Thousands of user submitted stories removed from the site. You are nothing without your users or their freely submitted stories.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 2:42:17 PM

I remember hearing about this a while ago. It discusses how people often switch the overeating compulsion to another addiction after gastric bypass surgery. There are psychological reasons behind obesity that need to be addressed and that don't just magically disappear when one becomes 'thin'...

Gastric Bypass and Addiction wrote:
For a number of people, giving up overeating leads to adoption of a new compulsion. In the article this adoption of a new compulsion to replace an old one is called “addiction transfer”. Addiction transfer occurs when someone is unable or unwilling to rely on one compulsion and so switches to a new compulsion due to not having dealt with the underlying issue behind the compulsion. For example, one may overeat because he/she is lonely or depressed, or for any number of other reasons. This person has gastric bypass to deal with being overweight, but does not address the depression/loneliness and therefore develops an alternative compulsion strategy such as gambling, alcoholism or excessive shopping. According to the article there are millions of people who have undergone gastric bypass who are now dealing with issues of addiction transfer.

The article discusses the plight of Carnie Wilson, one of the most widely publicized gastric bypass cases to date, who became an alchoholic to soothe the stress after her post-surgery body made it impossible to rely on overeating as a coping mechanism. Another woman mentioned in the article who lost 200 pounds said she started having affairs to distract herself from stress. Apparently, these woman thought being thin was the answer to all their problems, but when they became thin and still had to deal with stress, the pressure became too great. A quote from the article specifically addresses the surprise these woman and others have when they find out that their weight issue was not the fix-all they thought it to be

That light-bulb moment, counselors say, can trigger depression that some post-operative patients try to medicate with liquor, shopping or cigarettes. And for many, depression is what brought them to a bariatric surgeon’s office in the first place.

In addition the article goes on to say that just the act of having lost weight adds stress.

Lastly, biomedical research suggests that the causes of compulsive behavior no matter what compulsion it may be (alcoholism, overeating, etc) are very similar. Experts also agree that gastric bypass does not cause addiction, rather if someone has an addiction prior to the surgery that it is likely they will have one after, although a different one.

Just-SJ
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2011 3:06:22 AM

shi_squared wrote:
Just-SJ wrote:
shi_squared wrote:

Hehe, do you feel better now, all high and mighty about it? Yeah there are exceptions but what causes most weight problems- bad food, too much of it, no willpower and not enough exercise. You said the same thing in your own comments- that the guy needs to change all of those things himself to begin with. After that you basically said the same thing as I did, you just wanted to call names I guess. Hope that was fun.Nutbag

Your initial statement was a generalisation, throwing all people with weight problems into the same boat. I was commenting on this one man's actions. There's a difference.

Follow my blog! Latest post: Shake Your Bootie