Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

US University defends sex toy demonstration Options · View
nicola
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:36:43 PM

What do you guys think of this story?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/8949919/live-sex-show-spices-up-sex-ed-class/

Quote:
A US university professor concluded a discussion of bondage and other sexual fetishes in his human sexuality class by having a woman take off all her clothes, climb on stage and graphically demonstrate the use of a sex toy, the school has acknowledged.

The demonstration took place on February 21 at the conclusion of psychology professor John Michael Bailey's class on human sexuality.

According to guest lecturer Ken Melvoin-Berg, after the students were told a couple would take part in a demonstration involving a sex toy, the students were warned about a half dozen times that "what was about to happen would be graphic".

With that, Jim Marcus and his fiancee, Faith Kroll, climbed on the stage in front of about 100 students and demonstrated the use of the motorised device with a phallic object attached to it, as students heard about issues such as safety and consent, Melvin-Berg said.

I can't believe it was allowed to go ahead. It sounds like something out of Monty Python.

You will need to be signed in to youtube to view this:

Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:07:45 PM

Actually I do believe this story because there are some interesting educational tools being used by Psychology professors in Human Sexuality Class these days.

Just recently, I had a professor from a US college (that I will not name here) contact me on another erotica site to ask for my permission to use my collection of erotica stories as part of his curriculum this semester in the Human Sexuality class he teaches. And no, I'm not kidding. He said he identifies one male and one female author whose writing he finds compelling in terms of exploring the psychodynamics behind sex and then assigns their stories to his students to read and then structures class discussion around them. I checked out the details and credentials of the prof, the class and the college and it was totally legit. Of course, I agreed. I still find it awesomely entertaining to imagine a classroom discussion on my sex stories. geek

But I digress...

While I didn't take Human Sexuality class in University (although now I obviously wish I had), it does seem to be pushing the envelope to have live sex-toy demos and sex shows going on. I don't really understand the 'educational' element behind it, but these students are adults who have obviously seen and experienced a lot more when it comes to sex (or at least I'd think that most of them have). I'm definitely not opposed to it. It seems like it was an 'elective' part of the curriculum and students that were uncomfortable or offended were allowed to leave before the live demo. It would be more controversial in high school, but at the college level? Meh... they're probably having frosh week gangbangs and frat party orgies anyway. Sex toys are pretty tame in comparison. icon_biggrin

obscura
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 7:52:00 PM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
Just recently, I had a professor from a US college (that I will not name here) contact me on another erotica site to ask for my permission to use my collection of erotica stories as part of his curriculum this semester in the Human Sexuality class he teaches.

Awesome. Perhaps he's working his way up to asking for a live demonstration? All in the name of the advancement of human knowledge of course.

I've sat in on one of the human sexuality lectures at university purely out of interest and it could have been taught by a nun with more vigour and enthusiasm. They're all adults, the class was optional, what's the issue? God forbid we teach and learn about something 99.9999% of everyone does regularly.

I only wish when I went to drug and alcohol lectures in med school they had this philosophy. What better way to learn about the effects of drugs than to experience it yourself.

lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 9:36:56 AM

What was the point of the demonstration? What was the educational value of the show? Was it to give a better idea how to use this toy? Couldn't that be done by showing a better video? Seems to me this was done jsut for shock value and for a little attention/glory gaining by the professor. Hell, I'm all for a live sex show, but don't disguise it as educational. So if the next chapter in the book is about auto erotic asphixiation, will the professor allow some to choke out? After that will some lucky coed get to pull a train in class?

I hope the history teacher doesn't get inspired and want to have a live showing of Joan of Arc's final moments.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
SweetPenny
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 9:47:57 AM

I took a Human Sexuality class in college over 10 years ago. They showed us some pretty explicit BDSM videos. A lot of students walked out of the room. I stayed, but I did have to cover my eyes a few times. I'm pretty certain that my professor and my university would have allowed a live sex demonstration.
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 10:05:43 AM

SweetPenny wrote:
I took a Human Sexuality class in college over 10 years ago. They showed us some pretty explicit BDSM videos. A lot of students walked out of the room. I stayed, but I did have to cover my eyes a few times. I'm pretty certain that my professor and my university would have allowed a live sex demonstration.

But as a 18-23 year old, would you have learned anything. Or would you have just been staring and turned on? Doubtful anyone would be taking notes. I know that at that age if I were in a class with a live sex show, I'd learn nothing.. I'd just have my eyes on the prize. With a throbbing cock in my pants and when I'd be able to masturbate. I know i'm coming off as a prude, it just seems like overkill to me.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 10:25:57 AM

lafayettemister wrote:
SweetPenny wrote:

But as a 18-23 year old, would you have learned anything. Or would you have just been staring and turned on? Doubtful anyone would be taking notes. I know that at that age if I were in a class with a live sex show, I'd learn nothing.. I'd just have my eyes on the prize. With a throbbing cock in my pants and when I'd be able to masturbate. I know i'm coming off as a prude, it just seems like overkill to me.

I think it's more about the psychology behind BDSM practices or sex-toy use and they're just providing a view of that world, whether by videos or live demos. The live demo idea may sound extreme, but I think it's a device to open people up for discussion. A lot of people feel awkward talking about sex with a classroom of strangers. These things are kind of like ice-breakers, and ways to generate discussion by creating the focus on a shared common experience/viewing/reading. At least that's how I'd rationalize it if I worked for the University. icon_smile

But again, these are all adults, so I don't see it as a big deal. Plus the University experience is meant to be psychologically provocative in general.

SadBi-Virgin
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 10:42:37 AM

This story made me smile and wish my proffesor would do it but she won't, probably
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 5:05:21 PM

lafayettemister wrote:
SweetPenny wrote:

I don't see it as any different then when you are learning about animals as a child and then the teacher puts in a national geographic tape or you take a trip to the zoo. Is looking at a tiger in person making you learn more than what you already read about it? You would think not but once you see a tiger in person you appreciate its power so much more. This is just the adult version. You can read about something like spanking and understand what it is but if you actually watch it done you see exactly how hard the spanking is, the body language of the people, the expressions, the back and forth between sub and dom. Can't really pick up on all of that from just reading or discussing spanking.

MissyLuvsYa
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 8:35:49 PM

I don't believe they had that class at LSU cause believe me I would've signed up for it!
WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 11:15:18 AM

nicola wrote:

I can't believe it was allowed to go ahead. It sounds like something out of Monty Python.

Thanks for the clip, Nic. I needed a good laugh this morning.
Now I need to find The Meaning of Life and watch it. I never have seen it.

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:50:25 PM

That would have caused a party riot at The University of Georgia, my alma mater. Raucous cheering would've ensued, kegs of beer gathered and the girls would have been pulling their 'toys' out of their pocket books and waving them in the air. Of course the Princeton Review did name UGA #1 in their last poll of the nation's top party schools.

Now at the state capitol in Atlanta, the uptight state congress would freak out and threaten education funding!!!