Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Will Sarah Palin run for President Options · View
MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:54:02 PM

LadyX wrote:
... I'm not sure libertarianism is the answer for me. What is the answer? Well that's a damn good question, but cut me a break, I'm still figuring it out for myself. ;)

I had the answer last year.

Lady X for President! (Mr. Nudie Pants for Secretary of Her Interior... I mean... of THE Interior...

Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:07:42 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
LadyX wrote:
... I'm not sure libertarianism is the answer for me. What is the answer? Well that's a damn good question, but cut me a break, I'm still figuring it out for myself. ;)

I had the answer last year.

Lady X for President! (Mr. Nudie Pants for Secretary of Her Interior... I mean... of THE Interior...

shes got my vote! ill be the general of her armies and kick the worlds ass!
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:17:45 PM

stormblue wrote:

I am really sorry to have to say this, but it can't be helped. Please try to take it with a grain of salt. You all seem very uninformed about the politics of which you so casually form opinions.

hmm... compared to...? if you're comparing me to people like Lady X and some of the others here, who put some serious time and effort into researching some of these topics, than yes, perhaps. if you are comparing me to your average american, probably not so much. i read, i listen, i am intellectually curious, i form opinions on my own rather have them picked out by whomever for me - and i think they're pretty well formed - i don't always go into depth in the think tank about them, but i usually have fairly solid reasons to post the opinions i do - and no, i'm not feeling insulted or defensive, i just wanted to point out, as i believe someone else had, that a difference of opinion doesn't equal an uninformed one. :)

it is of my opinion, btw, that the recession is more likely to be solved by running up the deficit - long term-wise, we're going to have to spend money in order to fix a lot of the infrastructure issues and get the country as a whole, intact, but then, that's just my opinion :)

Love not hate.
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:27:54 AM

Let me state my concern in the form of an analogy: I see many who are concerned about the blazing sofa and the smoldering television, while somehow remaining unaware that the entire house is on fire.

When trying to understand something, it's best to start with a broad, general concept of what that thing is, a framework on which you can later hang details in the appropriate place. Then you can see the function of those details within the whole and the relationships they form to one another.

A lot of what people consider to be important issues -- because those are the ones brought to our attention by the news media -- are actually not important at all, and this becomes absurdly obvious if one stands back and looks at the bigger picture.

LadyX wrote:
But I do wonder if you're doing what I'm occasionally guilty of: intentionally confusing 'uninformed' with 'believes differently from me.'

Jebru wrote:
I think you might want to start with abandoning the self-centered idea that anyone who has a different opinion than you is somehow misinformed.

sprite wrote:
i just wanted to point out, as i believe someone else had, that a difference of opinion doesn't equal an uninformed one.

My "opinion" in this case is no more an opinion than the boiling point of water -- or the highest temperature at which jet fuel burns under the most ideal conditions. These are observable facts and not subject to interpretation. There is also a set definition for terms like "communist" and "democracy", and in my experience most people use those terms freely without ever bothering to clearly define them in their own minds. I'm not making judgements of anyone's character here; the word "uninformed" was chosen carefully and deliberately for its accuracy. I have an interest in informing people -- providing them with information they don't currently have. My interest is that the world I live in will never improve -- will, in fact, get much worse -- until the majority acquire this knowledge.

LadyX wrote:
I'm not sure libertarianism is the answer for me. What is the answer?

The answer is that "libertarianism" is one of those irrelevant pseudo-issues I mentioned above. We do not need, nor should we have, political "parties" in this country. Partisanism takes the focus away from the issues at hand, and is used to manipulate otherwise intelligent people. We didn't always have political parties, did you know that? That's why you won't find them mentioned anywhere in the Constitution...

I'd also like to add that Ron Paul is not a Libertarian. I'm sure if you asked him, he'd probably say something similar to what I did above. When pressed, he describes himself as a "Constitutionalist." He's currently working under the banner of "Republican", because without pinning on one of those irrelevant badges, they don't let you into Washington where you can effect any change.

Jebru wrote:
It seems really cute to say that since the debt was x when Obama took over, and it's now 2x...

What's even "cuter" is the fact that I looked that up in the five minutes prior to making my post. Any specific abuse by Obama is actually pretty irrelevant, too... I just wanted an example that people could relate to, to illustrate the point I was making.

Jebru wrote:
As for your statement, it makes me wonder how informed you are.

Well, considering that for five of the last seven years I didn't do much of anything else with my life other than research the geopolitical power structure on this planet...? You might be shocked at what I can learn with concentrated effort over such a period of time. ; )
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:11:37 AM

stormblue wrote:
the word "uninformed" was chosen carefully and deliberately for its accuracy. I have an interest in informing people -- providing them with information they don't currently have.

And who says pompous slights are off-the-cuff, and not well thought out? evil4

It takes all kinds; I've occasionally felt compelled to go on and on (and on) about something or other that I thought others should have my understanding on. Alas, every point of view is different, and in the age of dueling sets of facts and figures, I'd drive a nicer car if I had a dollar for every time somebody urgently attempted to 'speak truth' to me. I see you're no big fan of mass media- you'll find plenty of company here with that opinion. The lesson I think all of us would agree on: keep your eyes open and make up your own mind, rather than letting somebody or some group make it for you.

The more opinions and points of view shared here, the better, toward that end.

So which beach are you retreating to when shit hits the fan? I've got my eye on a good one in Jamaica. Lots of unrest, granted, but the water's warm and the Rum's dependable.

Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:17:35 AM

stormblue wrote:
Jebru wrote:
It seems really cute to say that since the debt was x when Obama took over, and it's now 2x...

What's even "cuter" is the fact that I looked that up in the five minutes prior to making my post. Any specific abuse by Obama is actually pretty irrelevant, too... I just wanted an example that people could relate to, to illustrate the point I was making.

Jebru wrote:
As for your statement, it makes me wonder how informed you are.

Well, considering that for five of the last seven years I didn't do much of anything else with my life other than research the geopolitical power structure on this planet...? You might be shocked at what I can learn with concentrated effort over such a period of time. ; )

I'll let you in on a little secret, it showed that you only looked it up 5 minutes prior. If I go through to the Politifact analysis of your deficit claim, which is found on the link you provided, it backs off the doubling comment, calling it "mostly true."

Quote:
As for Gregg's claim, we think that based on CBO projections, his numbers come up a little short of "double in five years, triple in 10." But they're not grossly misrepresentative of the CBO's projections, which we think is as fair a measure as any. And so we rate his statement Mostly True.

Was that really the best "fact" you could come up with to support your argument? No wonder you backed off of it so quick. Now you are calling any specific point irrelevant. How do you reach your conclusions if any points that are supposed to lead to it, suddenly become irrelevant under scrutiny?
WellMadeMale
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:02:59 AM

I'd rather see this guy attempt to get elected Mayor of NYC.

He’d be the biggest name by far to throw his hat in the ring to succeed
Mayor Michael Bloomberg at “the second hardest job” in the nation,
Weiner’s dream gig before his sordid fall from grace.

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:15:26 AM

Jebru: Forget the sofa and the television, look at the walls...

LadyX: Jamaica sounds as good a place as any. Want some company?
Oh, btw, it's not facts and figures I'm concerned with, it's ideologies.
cyrwr3gmail
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:18:53 AM

I honestly doubt Obama will not get reelected. What, I think there's been only 3 presidents who haven't won a succeeding term, so yeah. Besides Palin is a dumb bitch, she should know her facts before talking. Palin knows less about the US than my 12-yr old neighbor and that's excluding the English past.

I mean, you never do informal talk in an interview!

We're gonna, was gonna, kinda...... what the Hell is this?

Palin should get excommunicated back to those Alaskan islands!
cyrwr3gmail
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:20:03 AM

Just while I'm at it, Fuck Mike Bloomberg too. Piece of shit ruining life for middle-class denizens!
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:53:15 AM

I'm tired of stupid people running for president.. didn't we learn anything after 8 years of bush.... we as a nation used to strive for the best, instead we get reality wanna bees
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:23:07 AM

MrNudiePants wrote:
stormblue wrote:
Noticed Palin for about 5 minutes some years back. That, and this post, are about all the head-space I'm willing to devote to that bubblehead. If she ran for President, she'd probably get elected. All hail the Idiocracy!

I have the strangest feeling that this movie is going to be prophetic as all hell...

which leads to my preferred candidate:

Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:34:53 PM

[quote=cyrwr3gmail

We're gonna, was gonna, kinda...... what the Hell is this?[/quote]

she thinks it makes her look like "us" the common people. bet it fools a bunch of us too.
sprite
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:46:45 PM

LittleMissBitch wrote:
[quote=cyrwr3gmail

We're gonna, was gonna, kinda...... what the Hell is this?

she thinks it makes her look like "us" the common people. bet it fools a bunch of us too.[/quote]

hell, even i don't sound that dumb when talking... most of the time :p

Love not hate.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:50:32 PM

Just hearing her dumbass voice in a sound-byte is a beating in itself, to say nothing of the fact that she speaks in circles and butchered phrases.
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:28:45 PM

"...speaks in circles and butchered phrases."

Hmmmm, that sounds oddly familiar.

Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:23:19 PM

I have heard it stated about 50/50.
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:35:38 AM

Individuals who run for the office of the President of the United States. Whomever they may be. I am curious as to their message. Is it merely for show? Or does it contain sustenance? Free of past Presidential deeds.
WorkAlone
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:11:01 AM

I'd like to see her run. I'd like to see the ultra-conservative agenda put up for national scrutiny in an election. I'd like to see how her simple, misinformed ideas on the world stand up to one of the best orators to hold public office in recent times during a debate. Ideally, I'd like to see the Republican zealotry that she represents to me become the subject of the debate. And, yes, I'd like to see that zealotry destroyed. In my opinion, the Republican party has lost it's way. I know a lot of fiscal conservatives and conservatives of other stripes who believe that their party should be more about the enabling business, building the economy, controlling excess and limiting the scope and excesses of big govenment. The public face of the party has become much more about dictatng morality, character assassination, consolidation of power (scary how successful this was under W), and punishing anyone who deviates from their agenda. The country was founded on freedom and spending as much effort as they did trying to limit the rights of the GLBT community, especially when the economy was in free fall and the troops were fighting and dying in not one but two countries just seemed so myopic and self-indulgent as to be farcical. I mean, was that REALLY the most important issue in America at the time? Did the federal government REALLY need to be fighting with the states over marriage rights as one of its top priorities? I found their approach to be divisive rather than unifying and I think that breaking the country (and the world) into "us" and "them" was a little too 1984 for my liking.

In any event, I say let her run. Let her spend her time arguing that sex education is evil, contraception should be banned, gays should have no rights; let her argue that creationism is right; let her argue that there is no grey in the world and that everything exists as simple black or white, even when she's dead wrong. And then let her be torn to shreds on every issue that really matters. My hope is that this would wake up the public, remind them that these moral issues are not the most important things for the federal govenment to be involved with (preferably getting them out of these issues altogether) and that it helps return us to a place where both parties have the public interest at heart. I'd like to see the debates return to public policy and governance--after all, isn't that what government is elected to do?

I was ashamed to live in the US during the W years. To think that nation was being represented by him and the ultra-conservative theology behind him just didn't reflect well on the country. Whatever you may think of his politics, you have to admit that Obama is at least worthy of being on the world stage and is someone who doesn't cause me (and I assume others) to cringe when listening to him speak.

My only fear with having her run is that she'd win. The average voter responds better to the simplified sound byte of "THIS is what I believe" rather than the more typical democratic "well, it's a complicated issue", as evidenced by Kerry's technical victories it the debates followed by thorough trouncing at the polls. sigh.
Posted: Thursday, June 9, 2011 11:00:22 AM

Sarah Palin will run for president. And if she wins the nomination there will be a repeal of the nineteenth amendment.
LadyX
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 8:32:56 AM

Manny8 wrote:
Sarah Palin will run for president. And if she wins the nomination there will be a repeal of the nineteenth amendment.

LOL. I'm sure it would be suggested, at least. I'm embarrassed to share gender with her, that's for sure.

Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 8:36:52 AM

and nationality too. god sometimes i think america looks like a big fool to the rest of the world.
WorkAlone
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 8:51:10 AM

LittleMissBitch wrote:
and nationality too. god sometimes i think america looks like a big fool to the rest of the world.

I won't be popular for agreeing with this but "yes, it does". However, until recently at least, it looked like a very wealthy and powerful fool and so was perceived as a highly successful one; the subject of envy around the world. Internationally, at least, the election of an articulate and apparently intelligent president has done a lot to improve this image, but reversing this to go with Sarah Palin would take us back to the perceived buffoonery of the W years, only without the economic power Anerica had in those days.

Disclaimer. I'm both Canadian and American and have lived in both countries in relatively recent years, so have some degree of perspective from both inside and outside of US borders; and yet, I am just one person so my perspective is limited to what fits between my ears. Your mileage may vary.
Buz
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 8:51:15 AM

I think Sarah Palin is on the Democrat payroll. haha

I really like Herman Cain. I'm getting his bumper sticker for my truck!!! Actually I've volunteered to work on his campaign.

I hope no one disrespects me or dislikes me for my choice. I won't disrespect yours.

I believe everyone has their right to their choice, that's what makes the USA work.

Though it seems like we are barely holding it together. Ouch!

Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 9:00:11 AM

WorkAlone wrote:
the subject of envy around the world.

we WERE the envy of the world. its a good system..it is. our Constitution a beautiful document of foresight. its the people that fuck it up. our country was built on back breaking labor and the blood of our men as they fought for our freedom. and what do we do with it? we say "gimme gimme gimme. and gimme it all for free" so many of us seem to have this sense of entitlement. and an erroneous one at that.
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 9:24:34 AM

WorkAlone wrote:
LittleMissBitch wrote:

I won't be popular for agreeing with this but "yes, it does". However, until recently at least, it looked like a very wealthy and powerful fool and so was perceived as a highly successful one; the subject of envy around the world. Internationally, at least, the election of an articulate and apparently intelligent president has done a lot to improve this image, but reversing this to go with Sarah Palin would take us back to the perceived buffoonery of the W years, only without the economic power Anerica had in those days.

Disclaimer. I'm both Canadian and American and have lived in both countries in relatively recent years, so have some degree of perspective from both inside and outside of US borders; and yet, I am just one person so my perspective is limited to what fits between my ears. Your mileage may vary.

I have a friend from Denmark who made a point to someone that was spouting off about how great the US is and the rest of the world was..umm lacking in almost everything. She said I have shit in toilets that are older than your country. Makes ya stop and think eh?

LittleMissBitch wrote:
WorkAlone wrote:
the subject of envy around the world.

we WERE the envy of the world. its a good system..it is. our Constitution a beautiful document of foresight. its the people that fuck it up. our country was built on back breaking labor and the blood of our men as they fought for our freedom. and what do we do with it? we say "gimme gimme gimme. and gimme it all for free" so many of us seem to have this sense of entitlement. and an erroneous one at that.

That's because we're like a little kid that's never been truly spanked or disciplined. At least not for a long time.
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 9:29:55 AM

chefkathleen wrote:

That's because we're like a little kid that's never been truly spanked or disciplined. At least not for a long time. [/quote]

yesss and now it seems china is gonna do just that!

*edit* stupid fucking quotes...grrrrr
WorkAlone
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 10:33:40 AM

I absolutely agree with LMB and the Chef. I think that this is the time for America to stop infighting, rein in the sense of entitlement and arrogance, and get back what makes the country great. I see the recent moves made by the Republican devout as being counter to all this. I'm not saying I'm against conservatives, I'm saying that the way the party is acting is wrong. To me, it's like saying "it's not the religion, it's the church that's the problem". It really isn't the conservative ideology I have a problem with, it's petty character attacks and polarization and division of the country.

LMB's comment made me think of Chairman Mao in leather with a flogger. a1089
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 11:07:47 AM

ladyx wrote:
LOL. I'm sure it would be suggested, at least. I'm embarrassed to share gender with her, that's for sure.

If she got the nomination it would guarantee a scorched earth strategy from both sides. Remember that the base of the democratic party is African Americans, college students, and single women. The first two groups will not come out in force like they did in '08, so the dems - who are going to have extreme difficulty winning over the independent voter - will focus their message toward women (specifically single women), and liberal single women HATE Sarah Palin. There's something about her that brings out their crazy. And unfortunately that crazy will be matched by the crazy of the right. Instead of debating the merits of big government vs. small government, entitlement spending, defense, what role the US should play on the global state, etc (the stuff that is significant), the 2012 election will basically be an argument on The View between Joy Bahar and Elizabeth Hasselback.

/has watched episodes of The View Embarassed
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 11:10:26 AM

workalone wrote:
rein in the sense of entitlement

What do you think conservatives feel they're entitled to?