Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Where is the Casey Anthony treatment? Man decapitates son. Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 7:57:00 AM

Warning: The link that is posted below is very disturbing. Proceed with caution. Nicola, if this is unacceptable as a topic on Lush please remove.

For those that aren't in the U.S. you may not know of the Casey Anthony trial that concluded recently. This woman was accused of killing her child then acquitted in the charges against her for murder. Before the trial the media followed her in and out of jail. Camped out in her parents' front yard. There were thousands of protestors that hounded the entire family for 2 or 3 years, possibly deservedly so. And all of it was brought to the masses by all of the mainstream media. CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC, USA Today, etc. They all put this tragedy in the forefront of everyone's mind. When Casey was acquited there were all sorts of media and non media people that were quick to say our justice system is broken, blah blah blah... all while lining their pockets and boosting their ratings.

Sadly, this sort of thing happens all too often. Do not read any further if you are sensitive to violence....

Recently in my home state there was a horrible horrible crime commited. The person responsible has confessed to doing it. Jeremiah Lee Wright has confessed to killing 7 year old Jori in his home. But it is so much worse than that. Here is the link if you dare read......Man kills and decapitates 7 yr old suffering with cerebral palsy Any man that decapitates a child and leaves the severed head by the road for the mother to see when she comes home, has a special seat reserved in hell.

Where is the outrage? Where are the protestors? Where are all the news media? There's no Bill O'Reilly, Nancy Grace, Diane Sawyer... is this murder any more or less tragic than the Casey Anthony trial? Or did the C.A. trial garner all the sensational media becasue she was a party girl. She is young and attractive. Surely someone as pretty as Casey Anthony can't be monster can she? The media is herding us, telling us and showing us what they choose. They no longer report news, they educate the masses. It's all sleight of hand. Look HERE, but not THERE. It's a game of misdirection.

As you can imagine, this has been a hot topic of conversation around here. Yesterday I heard teh following exchange.... (summarizing of course)

Person A: It's just awful. Anyone who kills a child is just pure evil, and to do it to a poor defenseless handicapped child just makes it worse.
Person B: It is sad. But why is it anymore awful if a monster kills a handicapped kid than a "normal" kid? Killing any child is terrible.

Which made me think. Does a parent of a "normal" child hurt less than the parent of a handicapped child? Are we inadvertantly raising a generation with the thought that killing one section of people is more or less tragic than killing another? When a child or elderly person is murdered, we say something like 'so sad that someone would hurt and old lady, young child, or similar' Do we still say that if it's a big strapping man or healthy middle aged woman? Shouldn't ALL life be equal? Shouldn't ALL violent crime, murders be viewed as equally horrific? It's sad to say, but if a middle aged man is killed while working the night shift at the Circle K there is no media coverage. There is no hand wringing about how bad society has become. There's no outpouring of support from total strangers. There's no court room filled with spectators during the trial of the accused.

I don't know the answers to this. Not a clue. And I admit I'm quite disturbed by the crime that happened right here in my own back yard. I'm also disturbed because I am less disturbed by a crime that happens in Idaho or Wyoming or Fiji. Does that make me part of the problem? Is it just human nature?

What say you Lush?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
LadyX
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 8:35:56 AM

Optimal Conditions for Maximum Media Coverage/Sensationalism of Crime:

Affluent, Attractive, White, Blonde, Female.

Take any of those away, and the media attention diminishes. For every Natalee Holloway and Caylee Anthony, there are many more brutal crimes against the poor, the not-so-photogenic, minorities, boys, and of course, anybody with an obvious disability. The law protects all people from being treated like second-class citizens or sub-humans, but the media does not use the law's set of guidelines.

As far as proximity goes, that's only natural. Being close to your location makes it relatable. You share the same geography with both the victim and the perpetrator. We can only muster so much outrage and empathy, and our nature reserves it for the items that the media force-feeds us, and those that hit close to home (in this case, literally close to your home).
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 8:52:03 AM

In the end we have to remember that the news is a business like everything else. It's entertainment. It's not the media choosing to cover Casey Anthony and not this other case. It's the American people choosing that. They choose by giving more attention to shit like Casey Anthony. You put a handicapped kid on the cover of a newspaper and it will sell less than putting an attractive female on the cover. I thought Casey Anthony looked like a fish or something during the trial to be honest... So in reality it's not the media, it's the consumers choosing what is reported. News people need their pay checks too and if that check is bigger when they report on attractive people cause the ratings are higher can you really blame them?

Same reason most ice cream parlors have chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ready to be scooped over say... Lowfat lemon sherbet. Yeah the lemon sherbet is healthier and more Americans should choose it but they don't and the ice cream parlor has got to pay the rent.

LadyX
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 9:03:44 AM

Magical_felix wrote:
In the end we have to remember that the news is a business like everything else. It's entertainment. It's not the media choosing to cover Casey Anthony and not this other case. It's the American people choosing that. They choose by giving more attention to shit like Casey Anthony. You put a handicapped kid on the cover of a newspaper and it will sell less than putting an attractive female on the cover. I thought Casey Anthony looked like a fish or something during the trial to be honest... So in reality it's not the media, it's the consumers choosing what is reported. News people need their pay checks too and if that check is bigger when they report on attractive people cause the ratings are higher can you really blame them?

Same reason most ice cream parlors have chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ready to be scooped over say... Lowfat lemon sherbet. Yeah the lemon sherbet is healthier and more Americans should choose it but they don't and the ice cream parlor has got to pay the rent.

That's true, and I think that's the assumption already when we talk about what the media covers. Of course their choices reflect what "we" want to see. But day to day, they aren't polling us on whether to cover a story. They're making superficial judgements as indicated above and running with them.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 9:22:55 AM

LadyX wrote:
Magical_felix wrote:

That's true, and I think that's the assumption already when we talk about what the media covers. Of course their choices reflect what "we" want to see. But day to day, they aren't polling us on whether to cover a story. They're making superficial judgements as indicated above and running with them.

No they are not literally polling us. That is true. But the ratings are form of poll aren't they? Everytime you watched coverage of the Anthony trial you were casting a vote. "I want to watch this and not that." In the first few times they gave that story attention I'm sure the ratings went up and it was a no brainer for the media to keep covering it.

Those superficial judgements they will make in the future about what to cover are surely based on past ratings and sensational stories that the viewers chose to watch. Like say someone has a video of miley Cyrus snorting coke... I guarantee you it will be the biggest story in the country. It will have very little redeeming values except to maybe serve as a cautionary tale but we all know that's not why we are watching it.

LadyX
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 9:27:09 AM

I think we're agreeing with each other here.

Hollywood and Media, besides mostly being the same thing anyway, operates by the same rules. Over time, they reflect our values. Day to day, they operate off of those trends. I don't think Casey Anthony was that sexy either, but it was the combo of the cute little girl and the stripper-wannabe party girl mom. A white-girl double-shot!
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 9:34:17 AM

Yeah I guess we kind of are. I should have read your very first post a little closer. But those big words were making felix's brain mad! And yeah she was a perfect storm of party girl, young, fuckable and possible monster.

Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 10:38:49 AM

While I do think some of the Casey Anthony coverage was because she is a young, white woman, I think a lot of the coverage also stemmed from the fact that she was a MOTHER who killed her child. There is always a HUGE amount of outrage and disbelief that a mother could go against her maternal instinct and kill her own children. It is a total abomination and goes against nature. The cases of Susan Smith and Andrea Yates were also very well covered by the media as other examples. Father killing cases NEVER get the same coverage. I know I hear them on the news briefly all the time, but can't name one "infamous" case. While I'm sure mothers of other nationalities have committed similar crimes, again it's the white female who gets the most coverage it seems.

Yes, horrible stories like this that are in your own backyard always seem to strike a different cord when they are so close, and you realize it could happen to you. sad10 I do think on a whole we are getting desensitized to all of this, yes. angry7
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 1:42:52 PM

well and to the question of why we show more sympathy for the very old or the very old or handicapped i think comes from a sense of helplessness, both their physical helplessness and our own irrational sense of helplessness at not being able to save them.

the more helpless the victim maybe the more responsible we feel. when its an able bodied person we dont feel as responsible as they maybe stood a fighting chance unlike the very old, young and handicapped.

or maybe im just really stoned, i dunno...sounds good tho.
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 1:49:05 PM

Put the joint down, save it for later girl.

Jingle
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:10:35 PM

LittleMissBitch wrote:
well and to the question of why we show more sympathy for the very old or the very old or handicapped i think comes from a sense of helplessness, both their physical helplessness and our own irrational sense of helplessness at not being able to save them.

the more helpless the victim maybe the more responsible we feel. when its an able bodied person we dont feel as responsible as they maybe stood a fighting chance unlike the very old, young and handicapped.

or maybe im just really stoned, i dunno...sounds good tho.

I think you're on the right track with this.

In my words I would say something like, we're conditioned to care more for the little and the helpless, therefore the loss and pain we feel is proportional. Yes, the loss of any life through unjustly means is terrible, and maybe I'm wrong for saying this, but the loss of a little handicapped kid compared to a middle aged, healthy male, is like the difference between losing 1000$ and losing 5$. The life of the man isn't worth 5$, don't misread me. The amount of care concerning the handicapped kid is alot greater due to his/her helplessness. We're always watching for them, helping them, setting up special things for them. It's a large emotional investment. The man, although his life is of equal value in the great scope of existence, hasn't required that kind of attention and society's emotional investment in him has been smaller. Because the emotional investment has been smaller, perhaps the sense of loss is smaller too.

In the end, a crime is a crime and always terrible, but I wouldn't worry too much if we're shocked and horrified at one but not AS shocked and horrified at the other. Shock and horror aside, I think the sadness felt for one equals the sadness felt for the other.

What this man did to his child is the stuff my nightmares are made of; it touches a much deeper, more primal spot inside me than the murder of another person would.

And I agree the media is very much a censored view of what is happening in the world. My mother used to work as a nurse on native reservations, and at times when things would happen that were news-worthy, she would always say 'it didn't happen like that'. What happened and what the media reported were similar, but the news would paint it in a different light, and it would seem like an entirely different story being told. As an example, the media would take an issue of unrest that, if it happened in another part of the country, would be shown for what it was, and they would heavily emphasize that it was happening to native people, and strongly suggest that it was the big bad government taking advantage of natives again. They play it up to sell it up. News media is all about marketing.

MrNudiePants
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:39:03 PM

LadyX wrote:

Art imitates life, life imitates art. A vicious circle, inescapable.
CuriousButterfly
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:02:18 PM

when I log in to Lush this is last thing I want to see ... it's one thing to discuss current events but must the titles of the thread be so graphic ? My 2 cents

Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 9:03:46 PM

In the same way that dog bites man is not news but man bites dog is... man commits horrific violence against his own child is not news but woman commits horrific violence against her own child is. It's not that the outrage isn't there. Stories like this make even those of us who are against the death penalty wish death on the bastard. It is the shock that missing.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 2:30:01 PM

People tend to do a double-take when stories involve the vulnerable or the privileged.

I do believe that the media does drive the public interest though. The media generates hype over certain news stories and the more we hear about them, the more invested we becoming in them.

Stuff like the Casey Anthony tragedy goes on all the time, but if Nancy Grace hadn't spent the last 3 years talking about this case every single day non-stop, do you think people would have obsessed over it as much? Now they have moved onto another favourite "beautiful blonde american goes missing in Aruba". While Aruba appears to be getting a name as the Bermuda Triangle for blondes, how many people go missing all the time.

The media feeds us a story and once we hear it enough, we become hooked like the drama-addicts we all are.

Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 3:03:36 PM

In response to LM's originally proposed question, "hy isn't there the outrage for a man decapitating his 7 year old handicapped son like there was for Casey Anthony?" the answer is clear. It isn't necessarily right (though I think it is), but it is clear. 1) Casey is a woman. Our society expects mothers to be nurturing. It is much worse to be a bad mother than a bad father. Not fair, but true. 2) Casey never owned up to what she did. The despicable father did. 3) Casey took lying to a new level irritating everyone. 4) Casey partied, seeming to celebrate the death of her daughter. There were no photos of the murdering father entering a wet T-shirt contest after his son's murder. 5) The murdering father is going to get what he deserves. Casey isn't.
Q. E.D.
Cheltenham
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 5:55:23 PM

Nothing was on the news about this.sad1

I think Casey Anthony should have served jail time at least, in the general population and have it slip that she was responsible for her daughter dying.

People are bored with their lives and want to be shocked, so the news will propagate those thoughts and feelings with their broadcasts.

Well I hope I never figure out
Who broke your heart ~ Baby if I do
Well I'd spend all night losing sleep
I'd spend the night and I'd lose my mind
wolverine15
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 8:00:05 PM

Many have already expressed, rather eloquently I might add, many of the facets involved in this thread (thank you LadyX, Felix, and CG in particular). My two cents to add is more in line with Felix's theme, in that the media is indeed a business but the media as whole in the quest to be the one's that 'break the story', have often gone from reporting the news to creating the news. Further the fact that Case Anthony was in a much larger media market. I can not even imagine what the coverage would have been like if the crime had occurred in LA or NY. Factor in the attractive young woman and mother angles (LadyX and CG's positions) you have a sensationalized story with a sex slant, and sex sells or so the saying goes. I mean how many hours were dedicated to simply discussing her court room attire?

I think that it also speaks to the sensationalized, tabloidesque interest(apathy?) of a society that is more interested in who is on Dances With The Stars, and how many "friends" they have on Facebook then what is really affecting their lives.

Oh and for the record, I do NOT have a Facebook account.

“If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you."

1curiouscat
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 5:31:34 AM

The whole concept the media as a business is the driving force behind the attention it gets. Most in the US today don´t read printed newspapers anymore and rely on our phones and tablets, laptops and TVs to read news and all other form of entertainment. The matter of fact is = Cable news is a TV show. A 24 hour TV show that requires ratings to sell commercials. Therefore, the one that screams the loudest, shows the harshest "reality" or does something stupid in order to be youtubed (I created a verb I know...) wins!

To show a little perspective, here in Brazil cable news is just beginning - we have 2 channels that still only show news and no opinion shows, very similar to CNN in the early 90s. Most of the population still rely on the nightly news to receive their dose of "soma".

No matter what the case: strangulation by a prostitute because her client like to be chocked, or a footballer caught sleeping with transvestites when he thought they were women (true story haha) or a mother who threw her child away because she did not want it (also true), the stories end there and are only "sold" again the next night at 8:00 pm. So we don´t have such disparities between stories today, but the sings of sensationalism are starting to show.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room