Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

wax tips Options · View
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:17:56 AM

I just got a bikini wax for the first time in too many years. Now the skin is all red and irritated... any suggestions on how to calm it?
SweetPenny
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:37:58 AM

Buy 'Tend Skin' and apply it after you wax. It stings a bit but it calms the skin and gets rid of redness and bumps. Also, I rub a bit of baby oil into my skin right before I get waxed. That seems to help prevent the redness.
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:53:28 AM

SweetPenny wrote:
Buy 'Tend Skin' and apply it after you wax. It stings a bit but it calms the skin and gets rid of redness and bumps. Also, I rub a bit of baby oil into my skin right before I get waxed. That seems to help prevent the redness.

Thank you, I will keep that in mind
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:10:33 AM

I get a full brazilian every 6 weeks, there are a number of things that can affect the quality of your wax, many common medications, some soaps, failing to exfoliate prior to waxing, once you are already irritated the best thing I find to help it is not wearing panties, lots of air circulation, and aloe gel.
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 2:45:55 AM

Aloe vera. Works a treat after waxing to cool and calm the skin x
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:49:41 PM

Aloe helped, thanks ladies
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:59:35 PM

I don't wax any more because of the skin irritation. I suggest "sugaring" which in some places is also called "sugar waxing".

It is an all natural paste or gel made from food-derived ingredients like sugar, water, and lemon juice to remove the hair follicle from the root.

Sugaring doesn't stick to the skin as much as waxing, which means less irritation. The upper lip, chest, bikini and genital areas rank as the highest pain offenders. If you find someone experienced that uses the traditional technique using the paste, the discomfort is less because hair is removed in the natural direction of its growth (as opposed to waxing, which removes hair against hair growth). This ensure less ingrown hairs (virtually none if you use some gentle scrub / loofas).

Aloe was my friend, for sure!
anonymous1526
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:06:33 PM

put cold cloth on it

Everything happens for a reason. Live for the moment and have no regrets.
PrettyMom
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:42:18 PM

I used to do sugaring wax at home. For the last few years I have been using the Braun Silk epil epilator. I've been slowly working my way towards a full brazilian, but I still shave a small landing strip. That is the most painful area for me, but I get down about an inch from the top of my slit now. This is the recipe I used when I waxed.
Sugaring Wax Recipe
1 cup sugar
2 Tbl. lemon juice
2 Tbl. water.
Mix in a saucepan boil until 250 degrees on a candy thermometer, takes 8-15 minutes. Then pour it into a little Rubbermaid container and leave it to cool down a bit. It can be heated up in the microwave.
Instructions
1. Before waxing, let the hair grow until it's at least 1/4 of an inch long. (The wax needs enough hair to attach to!). Make sure skin is clean and dry, but don't wax immediately after a hot bath or shower.
Tip: Dust the area that you'll be waxing with talcum powder first, particularly if the climate is hot and humid. (I’ve never tried this my self, but it sounds like a good idea)

2. Place the tub of wax into the microwave without the lid. Heat the wax for 10 seconds, check consistency and make sure it isn’t too hot, repeat as needed. This is meant only to provide warmth to the wax, and to make it more easily spreadable on your skin. Be careful not to get it too hot and burn yourself, if it is too hot allow it to cool for a few minutes.

3. With a spatula ( a butter knife used smooth edge against the skin or a clean popsicle stick works well, if you can get an empty roll-on wax container, they are great), spread a thin, two inch to three inch wide layer of wax across your skin. The wax should be spread in the direction that your hair naturally rests on your skin. For example, if the hair on your leg tends to grow downward, then spread the wax downward. Don't spread in a circular fashion.
Tip: If you are doing a sensitive area, like under arms, do very small sections 1 ½ to 2 in squares. And keep in mind that once you do it 3 to 4 times the hair should be much finer making it less pain full.

4. Take a cloth strip of a loose weave fabric (mine where made from cloth diapers, the texture worked really well). Press the strip firmly over the wax.

5. Now here's the key. Grab the cloth strip at the bottom, and QUICKLY pull the cloth strip off your leg. Pull the strip off in the direction opposite how you spread the warm wax on. Don't pull the strip outwards or upwards. The quicker you pull the easier and more effective it is.

6. Take a look at your leg and the wax strip. You should be able to see hairs on the wax that were pulled out by the root.

7. Continue steps #2 through #4 until you've removed all undesired hair. Microwave the wax again if it becomes so thick that you can't spread a thin layer on your skin.

8. Clean up any mess with warm water and a wash cloth. And rinse the cloth strips with warm water to clean them for next time.

9. Rub some soothing lotion or aloe on your legs after you have finished waxing for smooth, comfortable skin.
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:56:45 PM

AnAmber wrote:
Aloe vera. Works a treat after waxing to cool and calm the skin x
Thanks for the tip. i love to try it
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:07:24 PM

i do prefer sugaring...still hurts like a freaking bitch tho