Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Should Bert & Ernie Get Married? Options · View
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:39:39 AM

bigguns wrote:
that is a very good point but sesame street has dealt with issues in the past and changed characters accordingly to adjust to the times and as the petition states it may help all those kids feeling alone and helpless due to sexuality. i mean its not like there is an influx of kids commiting suicide over their parents stripper life as hard as it may be.

im saying it is something to think about and should not be so quickly dismissed. frankly im surprised and disappointed to see i am one of the only ones sticking up for the possibility of uniting the two in a romantic way

Fckh8.com

I think that maybe sesame street has always been about teaching kids numbers, spelling, please/thank you and things like this. It's meant for young children, like so young they don't know about hetro relations and what that really entails much less gay relationships. So to make Bert and Ernie gay just seems like a large step into a heady subject to a child. I think people would have the same reaction to a religious character, single mom character, an episode of cookie monster checking into cookie rehab etc... I think it's too heavy for children. I can see kids calling two friends Bert and Ernie to make fun of them before actually learning the lesson they were supposed to. They are just to young to really grasp the concept.

Plus I think that the lack of gay characters in childrens programming isn't what makes some children grow up to be hateful of gays. It's what they learn from their parents. Parents that don't gay bash, explain to their children sincerely about what it means to be homosexual when the time is right are probably less likely to raise kids that are bigots. In the end of the day it's about the parents not the tv.

Also, there are other ways to teach tolerance in general without it having to be specifically about gays. When I was around ten I used to love the X-men. The comics, the cartoon, even my fucking pencil bag was x-men. I didn't realize it at the time but the x-men is just a metaphor for any persecuted minority group. Gays, blacks, mexicans etc. What I was learning, without realizing was, tolerance.

I really don't know how I didn't realize until I was older... I mean look how fierce and fabulous this dude looks. The hair, the pink shirt, his stance, the skin tight spandex pants, the knee pads... He was one of my favorite characters too. But seriously I do give partial credit to the x-men for teaching me a thing or two about tolerance without it being specifically about gays.

Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:11:38 AM

You continue to make great points. What I was referring to was cookie monsters change from a blue cookie loving guy to a promoter of the idea that cookies are a sometimes food they changed him to tackle the issues of binge eating and nutrition all in one. And Oscar the grouch has been changed because he was apparently Portraying a negative outlook on homeless people. I agree that some points are too heavy handed and may cause bigoted uprisings and although xmen is geared at an older audience maybe sesame st could work on acceptance (or at the least tolerance) of a wider range minorities
Volition
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:41:04 AM

This is just crazy in my eyes.
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:49:29 AM

bigguns wrote:
You continue to make great points. What I was referring to was cookie monsters change from a blue cookie loving guy to a promoter of the idea that cookies are a sometimes food they changed him to tackle the issues of binge eating and nutrition all in one. And Oscar the grouch has been changed because he was apparently Portraying a negative outlook on homeless people. I agree that some points are too heavy handed and may cause bigoted uprisings and although xmen is geared at an older audience maybe sesame st could work on acceptance (or at the least tolerance) of a wider range minorities

I get what you're saying about seseme street changing some of the characters to get with the times. But things like nutrition and compassion for the less fortunate aren't really confusing for kids I feel.

And yeah that's what I'm saying, maybe teach tolerance in a more indirect way than making Bert and Ernie gay. The reason I mentioned X-men was because is IS targeting more toward 9-13 year olds. I think that's a good age for easing kids into heavier subject matter. Seseme street is more for the 5 and below children. I think most of them would just be confused and maybe just find it funny.

ToXiCFuN84
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:14:49 PM

ArtMan wrote:
Never sign petitions. Once they get your name it goes in their file...

You ARE being monitored!

No Joke there, I signed a petition back in 03, even spam cant get rid of them.

Bert & Ernie, Hmm, Lets See........THEY ARE PUPPETS, I don't understand how people come up with this bull. TV for kids is poison anymore because of the people who manipulate it. If Bert and Ernie were 2 responsible "REAL" adults I would see no reason why they shouldn't marry. But they are not!

There is a thin line between bravery & stupidity.......Don't cross it!
Take time to live, love and dream!!
You have been a naughty boy.........Now go to my room!!!

Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:32:32 PM

no no no. that is just nonsense.
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:57:18 AM

I would like to ask if people would feel better about sesame street teachign tolerance in a more indirect and less powerful way then even x men did/ does? i know in the beginning i was all for the two marrying but felix helped me see why that would not work so i would like to know if you all would agree that the puppets show tolerance in a different way? also any suggestions on what that way could be?