Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The Postal Service Options · View
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:35:20 AM

for anyone who does not know it the USPS is quickly losing money and may be forced to shut down. personally i could not imagine a world without the USPS here in hawaii we rely very heavily on shipping companies like the USPS and others to get goods here from the mainland. i was reading an article on it recently (in a magazine the USPS delivered to me) and the reporter suggested that the company charge a person for home delivery and that if yo don't wanna pay just rip out or board over your mailbox. I still receive a lot of mail. i don't like paying bills on line so i still get all of them by mail, i don't like reading magazines on my computer so those too are still delivered to my door having to take time out of my schedule to haul my ass down to the post office to avoid getting charged late fees on bills and such would be a huge inconvenience to me. am i being a little bitch by complaining about this? what do you think we should do about this? can you live without the USPS? if you live in another country what does your postal service do to stay in buissness?
Ruthie
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:55:48 PM

When the Bush administration required the Postal Service to pre-fund it's pension plan the USPS was doomed. The Republican party want to privatize everything, and this was the way they chose to destroy the Postal Service. They are masters at keeping government from working so that they can say that it doesn't work.
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:19:38 PM

ooh good point Ruth. I think they need to start my stopping Saturday delivery and charging more for direct marketing mail.
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:27:43 PM

yeah i could live without saturday deliveries (mail only comes half the time on saturdays anyway) by direct marketing do you mean the annoying ass cable junk mail and stuff because yeah they could make some serious money by raising those rates
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:23:22 PM

"It's outrageous that a government institution is asked to display the same amount of accountability as a private company"

- oblivious statist
lafayettemister
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 9:18:46 AM

The USPS is NOT part of the US government. It receive none or little tax dollars to pay it's expenditures. It is an "independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States". The USPS gets to wield the power of government and has a legal monopoly on mail delivery. But since it isn't paid for by tax dollars, it isn't held to the standards that government agencies normally are.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 10:02:56 AM

bigguns wrote:
yeah i could live without saturday deliveries (mail only comes half the time on saturdays anyway) by direct marketing do you mean the annoying ass cable junk mail and stuff because yeah they could make some serious money by raising those rates

Yeah I do. They pay pennies for those to be delivered.
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:13:20 AM

lafayettemister wrote:
The USPS is NOT part of the US government. It receive none or little tax dollars to pay it's expenditures. It is an "independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States". The USPS gets to wield the power of government and has a legal monopoly on mail delivery. But since it isn't paid for by tax dollars, it isn't held to the standards that government agencies normally are.

You sound just like the Fannie and Freddie apologists from a few years ago. Unless you're just being unnecessarily pedantic. If thats the case, will a dryly sarcastic "quasi" preface work for you?
lafayettemister
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:12:11 AM

Manny8 wrote:
lafayettemister wrote:

You sound just like the Fannie and Freddie apologists from a few years ago. Unless you're just being unnecessarily pedantic. If thats the case, will a dryly sarcastic "quasi" preface work for you?

I was just stating a fact. And even though I posted beneath you, I didn't really read your post (they're usually self indulgent and arrogant). I wasn't posting at you. Anyone that knows me will tell you that I don't apologize for the government. If it were up to me, I'd sweep all the politicians into the ocean and start over with a clean slate. If not for the "quasi" governmental control and the unbalanced protection given by the government, the USPS would have gone out of business years ago.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:19:18 AM

Quote:

Works good for me, I guess. What great dialogue, and a refreshing, open-minded exchange of ideas. Who says politics have gotten ugly and tone-deaf? That's crazy talk!
tomlando
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:38:41 AM

The fact that the politicians have wanted to privatize the USPS for the last 35 years or so, is not what is actually coming into play here. With the internet, we just don't need to use the mail system as much as we use to. I think that we still need to have it available, just not as much. One of the best ideas to save it that I have heard is to cut delivery down to 3 days a week. One part of town will be M-W-Fri, the other T-Th- S . This would pretty much cut the employee need in half. It will also bring delivery volume per carrier back up, hopefully, to where it used to be. And Management needs major cut backs also. As a retired letter carrier, do I like this? No. But it will be most likely what is necessary in order for the USPS to survive as a self sufficient agency.
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:18:28 PM

Manny8 wrote:
lafayettemister wrote:

lafayettemister was as he said just stating a fact it's true and it may be the reason we are loosing the USPS. plus is say UPS and FedEx and DHL have done a fine enough job delivering packages for years that they should be allowed to offer competitively priced letter and post card mailing the UPS guy comes to my college like everyday it wouldn't change much if they happened to also deliver our mail as well as all of out overly priced med text books
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:56:16 AM

The USPS should be run like a business and at least be required to break even. You can't just keep spending ridiculous amounts of money and never run out. The Postal Service must raise rates, offer more competitive services and cut wasteful spending. Their competition is Fed Ex, UPS and the internet. The USPS must evolve or die. Evolution people it is very real and it is not just for mutant animals and plants!

Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:52:02 AM

" The U.S. Postal Service, struggling with a massive deficit caused by plummeting mail volume, spends more than a million dollars each week to pay thousands of employees to sit in empty rooms and do nothing.

It’s a practice called “standby time,” and it has existed for years — but postal employees say it was rarely used until this year. Now, postal officials say, the agency is averaging about 45,000 hours of standby time every week — the equivalent of having 1,125 full-time employees sitting idle, at a cost of more than $50 million per year.

Mail volume is down 12.6 percent compared with last year, and many postal supervisors simply don’t have enough work to keep all employees busy. But a thicket of union rules prevents managers from laying off excess employees; a recent agreement with the unions, in fact, temporarily prevents the Postal Service from even reassigning them to other facilities that could use them."

Not to get off on a different tangent all together but the power the union has over the postal service is just one of many examples of why the USPS is losing boat loads of money every year.
1curiouscat
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:06:07 AM

Here in Brasil the postal service is a governmental department. So It is composed of life-long worker that get paid small wages. If you work for the government in Brasil, you CAN´T get fired -- fucking crazy shit I know. (**note: This does not include ELECTED official.)

The system work really well and we rarely have any kind of problem. It´s "FEDEX" type of service is semi-private and work incredibly well. However there are constant accounts of corruption and sometimes this halts everything -- for instance: The postal service has been on strike for the last 7 days... no mail -- no documents are being shipped, no deliveries being made ... zero. This accounts for a lot of delays in the business world.

I think we are talking about evolution of business... It needs to adapt or close. It needs to be that simple. We as citizens will adapt as well.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room