Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Is China how the future will be? Options · View
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:29:34 AM

When I saw this incident in China where a 2 year old kid was run over (twice), and dozens of people kept walking like if nothing had happened, and it took a lot of time until someone decided to check on her, it reminded me of the movie The Time Machine ( based on the book by G.H..Wells), when the protagonist arrives into the future and he's in a garden and a girl falls into the river and drowns and nobody around moves a finger and he has to jump and save her...it was exactly the same attitude, lots of zombie-like people without giving a hoot about a little girl in danger...this is because it's China (they don´t really care about life), or is this the way the whole planet will be in a few years?
rxtales
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:57:37 AM

I don´t think it has anything to do with is being in China, I think you´ll find stuff like that happens all over the place. I´ve witnessed things like that, where I have been the one to call 911. People don´t want to get involved, or figure someone else will.

We had a somewhat related disussion a while back http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst18117_Internet-macho-man-andor-BITCH--But-in-real-life-situations-you-actually-.aspx

Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:59:49 AM

rxtales wrote:
I don´t think it has anything to do with is being in China, I think you´ll find stuff like that happens all over the place. I´ve witnessed things like that, where I have been the one to call 911. People don´t want to get involved, or figure someone else will.

We had a somewhat related disussion a while back

But your thread is about an assault. In this case was leaving a little girl to die, there was no danger involved for the people.
rxtales
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:06:40 AM

caraculo wrote:
rxtales wrote:

We had a somewhat related disussion a while back

But your thread is about an assault. In this case was leaving a little girl to die, there was no danger involved for the people.

Yes, I know which is why I said it was somewhat related. Even though it was leaving a little girl, I don´t think it changes that people just don´t want to get involve or figure someone else will deal with it. I am not saying it´s acceptable it´s a horrible thing that no one stopped to help, but I don´t think it´s limited to China. Saying the chinese don´t care about life is definitely a generalisation and not one I would have made. I don´t think this is what the planet will be like in the future, I think things like that already happen, whether they are accidents or assaults. I´ve witnessed things like that, where I was the person to call emergency services after a bunch of people either walked by or just stopped to stare, either not caring or assuming somebody else had already called emergency services.
MissyLuvsYa
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:37:12 AM

I do think the world is heading in the direction of China, but not about how they treated the little boy, but politically. Everything will be controlled by a small committee and we will be powerless to stand against them.
LadyX
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 9:34:39 AM

Chinese people are no different than the rest of us, they don't care more or less about life than any other nationality or ethnicity. I assume you were referencing it's governments poor record on human rights, but I don't think it's actions have rubbed off on it's subjects enough to alter their human nature. It's not like people regularly get dragged out of their houses and shot in every Chinese neighborhood.

I agree that this sort of thing already happens everywhere, this one just happened to be in China. It's not the first time I've seen it, unfortunately.
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:25:13 PM

It's the same kind of attitude all over the world... although, I think in some people's cases it has considerably more to do with the fact that people just don't know what to do - as opposed to don't give a flying fuck.

I recently came across a guy fitting and convulsing in nigh on the centre of town on my way to catch the bus to college... everyone walked past, all looking but none stopping. Called for an ambulance and left him in the care of a couple of market workers due to being in a rush. But that says it all really doesn't it - I didn't stick around purely because it would have caused me to be late for one day of classes.

I really do think that more education is basic first aid across the country (and, indeed, countries) would be a big benefit... if people know what to do, they're much more likely to go ahead and do it.
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 4:17:41 AM

I saw this story and it was shocking. If this is the way us as humans are going, then I want pull out now.
mercianknight
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 6:53:36 AM

The article did go on to clarify that many parts of China are in the grip of scammers who set up those very same sort of scenarios to entrap "good samaritans" into helping out so that they can then be sued or at the very least threatened to be held accountable for the well being of the injured party....unless they pay up.

Terrible really, but no worse than the ambulance chasers that make so many peoples lives miserable in the U.S.
angry9

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw