Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How to think up sequels? Options · View
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2011 10:01:46 PM

Hullo,

I've got a story that people are asking me about a sequel for. However, the idea in my head only went as far as the first story. What do you all do to try to generate ideas for sequels? I already have a bit of an idea of how certain parts could play out, but I don't have a good idea of how to tie them all together, and I'd rather not write a sequel if I can't come up with anything not-crappy.
naughtyannie
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 1:45:14 AM

People are always asking me for sequels, and it is always much harder then the original.

Like you, I often feel I have "worked through" the original idea, and have seen my characters to a satisfying conclusion. Often, there is then nothing more to be said, so not much point in a sequel. I'd rather move on to new characters, in a new scenario.

I think a sequel only really works if you have the whole "story arc" in your mind from the start, and there is a natural break where you can leave your readers hungry for more. I did this with my "Teachers" story, where the first part had a natural ending, but I knew already where I wanted to go next.

Please help "Schoolgirl Dares With Sarah" become a Legendary Story. It only needs another 13,000 views. Click on the link below to take you there:

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/lesbian/schoolgirl-dares-with-sarah.aspx

You'll help make a dirty girl very happy xxx

Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:13:04 AM

naughtyannie wrote:
People are always asking me for sequels, and it is always much harder then the original.

Like you, I often feel I have "worked through" the original idea, and have seen my characters to a satisfying conclusion. Often, there is then nothing more to be said, so not much point in a sequel. I'd rather move on to new characters, in a new scenario.

I think a sequel only really works if you have the whole "story arc" in your mind from the start, and there is a natural break where you can leave your readers hungry for more. I did this with my "Teachers" story, where the first part had a natural ending, but I knew already where I wanted to go next.

Well said, Annie, I agree. I think that often people just don't want a story to end, but in my experience as a writer, if my story is a stand alone and I can't or don't want to turn it into a series then it stops there.

There is no point in coming up with a sequel that you, as a writer, are not satisfied with. On the other hand, if the writer does come up with a good follow-up and is happy with it, that's great.
sprite
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 9:41:48 AM

i only do sequels if i have planned on a multi part story from the beginning - otherwise, i find that they just don't work. you told the story, you moved on - coming back to it, you never have the same fire, the same passion as the original, and it usually shows. only write a sequel if YOU have something to say and passionately want to - don't write it just to please people, you'll only end up disappointing yourself and possibly your readers.

Love not hate.
DLizze
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 9:44:30 AM

I usualy have the beginning, and the ending in my head, but the middle sections (sequels) are often not fully thought out. I keep a list of scenarios, quotes, and snippets in a separate document in my computer, and when I get stuck for story continuation or transition ideas, open that document, and see what I have put there.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
SensualDesires83
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 5:04:11 PM

naughtyannie wrote:

Annie is correct. When I know that I am going to write a story that will have several parts, I always have the story planned out in my head and then start writing. Even before I get through writing the original story, I will often start the sequel and so forth. Sometimes, I actually have all parts started before I finish any of them. It helps me keep straight of what I want to happen.

"So don't cry to me.
If you loved me,
You would be here with me.
Don't lie to me,
Just get your things.
I've made up your mind."

--Evanescence
overmykneenow
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 7:01:05 AM

People asking for sequels is a compliment - it means they've engaged with the characters and the wider situation they are in.

But if you haven't planned for a sequel why bother? Write a new story! Writing a sequel will only constrain you and hold you back - you'll constantly be thinking would X do this when she did such and such before.

Writing is hard enough, don't make it harder

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
charmbrights
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:05:32 PM

overmykneenow wrote:
People asking for sequels is a compliment - it means they've engaged with the characters and the wider situation they are in.
Sometimes there will be obvious gaps in your story which can be filled by a sequel, and sometimes there won't, With my 12 Delights books (and two more unfinished) I started with an overall picture of perhaps three or four of them. Absolute was first and firmest. White Delights, Anniversary Delights and Military Delights were certainly expansions of hooks in the first one. The others were the stories of other characters who were essential to the main story, but never explained, for example Nautical Delights simply tells the story of the Captain of the Emir's yacht. He had already been mentioned in passing and the impact of the Emir's life style on a Western sailor seemed interesting. Girlish Delights on the other hand, was demanded by a very persuasive reader, who ended up as joint author.

The two unfinished ones will never be finished, because there isn't enough story to write. Sadly I only discovered that after 27K words of one of them.

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 12:41:56 PM

There is a dichotomy at work with sequels and many writers can't work with the extremes. One of the master story tellers, Edgar Allen Poe, rarely wrote any secondary or follow-up stories, while other very good authors spin seemingly endless stories from stories effortlessly. There are stand-alones and there are so-called "open-ended" stories and sometimes they merge. When readers identify strongly with characters they naturally want to know more and read more "adventures" those characters participate in. You often have to keep an increasing dynamic happening so rachet up the action, character development, etc. when doing sequels or they can fall flat (see Hollywood). In BDSM writing, of course, we have the advantage of several options, depending on the character(s) development and progress. Sub training, for example, can continue from episode to episode. Another way to create credible sequels is to generate a series of "adventures and explorations" for your characters experience different sexual or other aspects, travel to another venue, discover another person to interact with, etc. For creating depth in a character, you can have their emotions in conflict, torn by what they think they want and what they feel they need.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 1:18:10 PM

lsguy wrote:
Hullo,

I've got a story that people are asking me about a sequel for. However, the idea in my head only went as far as the first story. What do you all do to try to generate ideas for sequels? I already have a bit of an idea of how certain parts could play out, but I don't have a good idea of how to tie them all together, and I'd rather not write a sequel if I can't come up with anything not-crappy.

I wrote one story (The Bitches in the Basement) where I didn't have any plans for a sequel. It was really well-received, fun to write and I really liked the characters, so I decided to create a sequel (The Babes on Brentwood). Instead of continuing from where things were left off, I took a minor yet important character from the first story and wrote about the same night but from her perspective (same night, but different sexual adventure). Both stories have plot twists that intertwine and they share some of the same characters but they can also work as stand-alone stories. They're almost like "companion pieces" to each other.

I think the important thing is to find the right angle for a sequel - don't just rehash using the same formula you did for the first one. I think that's why Hollywood sequels fail miserably so often - it's all the same tricks and you know exactly what to expect. It's great the first time around, but the second time it can become cliche/boring. But if you have something fresh to add or an opportunity to develop your characters more or add a new perspective then it can work really well.

Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 2:58:00 AM

I wrote a couple of stories where people asked for sequels but I never really got around to doing anything about it. I think it's sometimes best to leave things 'hanging', so people can make what they want of the ending. I like it when parts are left to the imagination and I've never felt 'inspired' as such to write a follow-up unless I've previously planned it.
Shylass
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 11:47:43 AM

As a rule, I'm not a fan of sequels/prequels (although C.S. Lewis is a god to me). I just don't think they can ever live up to how great a brilliant original was. There are exceptions, obviously.

Somebody suggested I write another story about a couple in one of my first stories, and since I found a little seed of an idea growing, I did write it. It had a lot more interest in a much faster time than the first one did, although that may have been because it was in a different category. I get an idea, maybe a word, phrase or picture in my head; I let it sit a while, and then when the mood takes me, I sit and write and see what happens. I don't plan them out.

But I wouldn't write a sequel for the sake of it, only if the idea had already begun to make itself known would I try. Writing to order is not something I have had to do before, I don't think I would suit the constraints very well (or should that be, the constraints wouldn't suit me?).

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:12:24 PM

I don't think up sequels...if I'm engaged in a story and it's characters a sequel is the result of my feelings.
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:12:26 PM

In general, if I'm going to write a sequel, it's because I've got a whole story ark going on in my head. If someone asks me to write a sequel, I do see it as a challenge, but generally I only do it if it fits in with the story.
Posted: Sunday, June 3, 2012 11:17:16 AM

Just day dream, and day dream, and day dream more about the sequel and make sure you relax, and the right one will probably come drunken