Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

US Government officials want to ban cell phone use in automobiles Options · View
Buz
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 7:09:41 AM

The United States National Transportation Safety Board has called for a nationwide ban on the use of all portable electronic devices by drivers, except in an emergency. That means no more phone calls or texting from behind the wheel. It would also ban drivers from using iPods or GPS units not integrated into a car's controls. (Of course it is up to each individual state to implement laws regarding this.)

What do you think? Just the abusive and dictatorial government wanting to exert more control over our lives or a genuine safety concern?

SITTING
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 7:22:08 AM

Well, it's already banned in the UK and though it can be annoying when you're the only driver on a country road, it is a pretty good idea.

Stalker, ballet dancer, obsession...
Dudealicious
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 7:36:14 AM

Cell phone bans have been in Canada for years, some carrying a fine as high as $500.00! It's amazing when you read

Quote:
The statistics show that texting is more dangerous than talking on the phone and even drunk driving,

So in part, yes it's a great idea.

Some phones have the text to speach capability, while car manufacturers are putting more and more technology into their vehicles to keep drivers safe. It's not that important to send the smiley face or LOL while you are behind the wheel (in my opinion)

The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 2:25:21 PM

I think it's a great idea. Should have happened a long time ago. I'm sick of almost getting run over in parking lots. I'm tired of being scared shitless of passing some asshat texting on the freeway and weaving in and out of his lane. Or being behind someone talking on the cell and driving under the speed limit in the passing lane. There is nothing that can't wait until you're stopped or parked.
LadyX
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 2:29:59 PM

I use my phone while driving a lot (which is to say: way too much), but I know this ban is a good idea. I read somewhere that drivers who text and/or scroll for phone numbers are every bit as impaired as a drunk driver, if not more.
Fugly
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 2:33:09 PM

Some people can't even walk and text, let alone drive and text LOL So yes, I am all for the ban

Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 2:34:28 PM

Oh I seen that Fugs. Didn't she try to sue the mall for the fountain being there with no one around to guard it? Or some such nonsense.
LadyX
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 2:40:02 PM

Quote:
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Earlier this week ABC30 showed you video of a woman who mistakenly fell into the fountain at a Pennsylvania mall, because she was distracted by text messaging. Well now that woman is suing the mall for not helping her.

The video has received more than 1.5 million views since it went viral on YouTube last week. The woman in the video, Cathy Cruz Marrero, doesn't think the video is very funny. She claims she could have gotten seriously hurt and that the security guards should have helped instead of laugh.

"I'm just like dumbfounded. And all I kept saying was, 'I fell. I fell. I fell in the fountain. I fell in the fountain.'"

Marrero has hired a lawyer to pursue legal action. The investigation is ongoing at the mall as to who leaked the video online. You can hear more from Marrero and her attorney Thursday on Good Morning America.

So, she's suing them for not rushing over to help her? Lame. That's like a perversion of the good samaritan law. "You're required to help me! Or else, I'm suing you!'

Catnip
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 4:09:56 PM

I'd think it'd be a better idea to sue them for ridiculing her on youtube. lol

I'm all for a ban in the US and worldwide.
My mum is texting too much and I sort of fear for her safety.

I think talking with head set on would be the same as talking to a person next to you, but then you should have the headset on you so you easily can answer with just one click.

My 2 cents

nicola
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 5:02:54 PM

Good idea in my opinion. There are so many bad / careless drivers around as it is, adding a mobile phone to the mix, isn't the intelligent thing to do.

Lol @ the video Fugs!
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 5:07:19 PM

Thanks Ladyx. That's exactly the one I was talking about.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 5:52:38 PM

I can understand a ban on texting, emailing, shopping, or any of the other mind-absorbing things people do on their phones, but I can't see banning simply talking on the phone. Would you also have to ban policemen, firefighters, paramedics and EMT's from using their radios? Would you ban people from drinking coffee or sodas while driving? And I guess a rolling blowjob would be out of the question...
Dudealicious
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 7:34:02 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
I can understand a ban on texting, emailing, shopping, or any of the other mind-absorbing things people do on their phones, but I can't see banning simply talking on the phone. Would you also have to ban policemen, firefighters, paramedics and EMT's from using their radios? Would you ban people from drinking coffee or sodas while driving? And I guess a rolling blowjob would be out of the question...

Now how are trained professionals using a radio, clumped into the same group as a regular person texting? I think the two are very different scenarios.

As for drinking coffee and soda while driving, that is being looked at as distracted driving as well. Who knows where that may lead...

The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 7:40:04 PM

It's banned in california but no one gives a shit. People still do it. I know I do. Sometimes I'm scrolling through music or numbers and I'm doing it where a cop can see me and they don't even care. I could be texting for all he knows. I think the fine is 100 bucks here. Eh, for as much as I need to make calls and enjoy music while driving, 100 bucks isn't so scary.

MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 7:59:57 PM

Dudealicious wrote:

Now how are trained professionals using a radio, clumped into the same group as a regular person texting? I think the two are very different scenarios.

As for drinking coffee and soda while driving, that is being looked at as distracted driving as well. Who knows where that may lead...

How is a first responder using his radio any different than me talking on my phone? Want to pass a law against me talking on my phone, better also pass a law keeping both their hands on the wheel.
Dudealicious
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 8:07:05 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:

How is a first responder using his radio any different than me talking on my phone? Want to pass a law against me talking on my phone, better also pass a law keeping both their hands on the wheel.

My apologies I thought I read Texting, thought I said that too. Guess I was mistaken.

easy_rider75
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 8:26:41 PM

Yeah we got the cell phones bans here in Connecticut not many seem to give a shit about it either. Though me as a biker I have no problem banning them can't tell you how many close calls I have had with some idiot texting on their phones.

“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.”~Frank Sinatra~
budwilliams
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 8:29:01 PM

WellMadeMale
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 8:50:00 PM

It's a good idea, although a better idea would be to install a chip inside cell phones which would disable the device from being utilized by anyone sitting behind the steering wheel with their foot on the accelerator pedal. (or something to that effect). It would be nice to have a working cell phone inside the vehicle for a wide array of reasons...but not being used by the driver of said vehicle.

When I first acquired a cell phone in 1993, after a few times of driving and talking (and that was very limited because there were not many towers spaced around the city), I learned that my attention to driving was taken away by my attention to listen and then talk.

I could not carry on a coherent conversation and drive. Anymore, if I'm driving and the phone rings...I don't answer. If I'm not pressed for time or if I think the caller is someone I need to talk with, I'll pull off the road, park and return the call or check voice mail.

I've seen too many people talking on their cell phones and weaving within their lane, running stop signs or lights, slamming on their brakes to avoid rear ending the person in front of them, cutting people off in traffic when changing lanes, etc... all because the conversation they were having on their fucking phone took precedence over their controlling a 1500 to 6500 pound vehicle around other moving vehicles or walking/biking people.

Selfish, self-important fucktards. I try not to belong to that fraternity whenever possible.

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Buz
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 8:58:51 PM

Driving around Atlanta is like being in a combination NASCAR race and crash car derby anyhow. The cell phone blabbers weave all over the road, some slow down to excessively slow speeds when they get a call. Most drivers are totally incapable of blabbing on a cell phone while driving, much less texting. They have outlawed texting while driving in Georgia but it has not deterred the people who do it.

PS. And why do people who get a cell phone call while in a restaurant suddenly have the need to elevate their voice several decibels. I actually asked a guy the other night to tone it down. He was talking so loud that people all around us were getting extremely annoyed. He got a little pissed at me and started to act like he was going to come over to my table. When I stood up and he got a good look at me, he shut up and sat back down. I guess his phone rang again and he went outside to take the call.

Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 9:42:10 PM

As a retired truck driver....and I've driven "around" as well as "through" Atlanta a few hundred times....I can say with certainty that the scariest thing on the highway is a woman driver talking on a handheld cellphone. I've been cutoff, run out of my lane, etc. TOO ^%$#@$ TIMES by women drivers on a handheld cell phone......OK...I've seen the same thing with men drivers, too, but not as many.

IMHO..."hand free" devices are no more distracting than talking to a passenger or listening to radio. I used a headset (wired to phone). Did NOT like CB radio unless I had to use it because of the constant foul language and derogatory remarks about race or sex. And I've told people that I couldn't talk because of traffic, etc. ... especially while driving around Atlanta.

That's my rant...and I really DO LIKE women...honestHugs Hugs Hugs

Rick
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:36:18 AM

snoopnc wrote:
As a retired truck driver....and I've driven "around" as well as "through" Atlanta a few hundred times....I can say with certainty that the scariest thing on the highway is a woman driver talking on a handheld cellphone. I've been cutoff, run out of my lane, etc. TOO ^%$#@$ TIMES by women drivers on a handheld cell phone......OK...I've seen the same thing with men drivers, too, but not as many.

IMHO..."hand free" devices are no more distracting than talking to a passenger or listening to radio. I used a headset (wired to phone). Did NOT like CB radio unless I had to use it because of the constant foul language and derogatory remarks about race or sex. And I've told people that I couldn't talk because of traffic, etc. ... especially while driving around Atlanta.

That's my rant...and I really DO LIKE women...honestHugs Hugs Hugs

Rick

Come on, there are just as many shitty male drivers - don't play the sex card, that's just lazy
Michael
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:05:31 AM

[quote=Buz]The United States National Transportation Safety Board has called for a nationwide ban on the use of all portable electronic devices by drivers, except in an emergency. That means no more phone calls or texting from behind the wheel. It would also ban drivers from using iPods or GPS units not integrated into a car's controls. (Of course it is up to each individual state to implement laws regarding this.)

What do you think? Just the abusive and dictatorial government wanting to exert more control over our lives or a genuine safety concern?

Buzz, actually the NTSB safety recommendation specifically calls for the 50 states and the District of Columbia to ban the nonemergency use of portable electronic devices (other than those designed to support the driving task) for all drivers. That would not eliminate GPS units.

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2011/111213.html

I would support it, I hate talking on the phone when driving,
now sexting is different ;)

LoboSolo
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:50:01 AM

Buz wrote:
The United States National Transportation Safety Board has called for a nationwide ban on the use of all portable electronic devices by drivers, except in an emergency. That means no more phone calls or texting from behind the wheel. It would also ban drivers from using iPods or GPS units not integrated into a car's controls. (Of course it is up to each individual state to implement laws regarding this.)

Ferþu hal!
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:59:16 AM

Here in Oz, we have a nationwide ban of the use of mobile phones by drivers. How hard is it to pull over if you have to take a call? As for emergency workers, you can't text on a radio, don't have to dial a number to make a call. From what I've seen, ambulance, fire etc. usually have the co driver using the radio.
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:38:24 AM

It's been banned for about 3 years here in UK and I've not noticed any improvement in driver technique. Also, our so called government is seeking a ban on smoking whilst driving ... what next? breathing?
cumonmesweetpuss
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:15:57 AM

I think they should band cell phones in the drivers hand
I say yes to all cell phones in the drivers hand if he or she pull over and talks
you see i ride a bike and some of the drivers on phones are nuts they dont look at where they are going
and they just do what fuck they want the ones in a chat are looking down at that phone as they chat with some one
and will pull over in your lane and not think a thing about it

SO BAN THE CELL PHONE IN DRIVERS HANDS
cumonmesweetpuss
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:17:05 AM

i like this photo
LoboSolo
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:24:53 AM

Maybe the third time will be the charm ... It keeps eat my answer.

It is, without nay, an abusive and dictatorial gov't wanting to control more of your life. Just think about the millions of folks who CAN drive and talk on a cell phone without weaving down the road.

The one who scared me the most was an ex-gf who would turn to face me while she was driving. I would have to tell her that the light was red! That was the one and only time that she drove during our relationship. Bad drivers are bad drivers ... cell phones or not.

Ferþu hal!
inepa
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 9:27:31 AM

It is banned in Papua New Guinea..... What took you so long to decide now?