Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Alcohol bans in parks and beaches - "Un-Australian"? Options · View
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:05:05 PM

It's Australia Day here, a national holiday, and everyone traditionally meets up with friends in a park or down the beach, shares a few drinks, has a bbq or picnic - it's the way of the world.

I drove down to 2 local beaches, and both have alcohol bans.

To me, that's Un-Australian.

Sure, it probably prevents a lot of scuffles and the odd drowning, but is it the right thing to do?

PS, Happy Australia Day my fellow aussies!
SydneySider
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:57:04 PM

I went to Narrabeen last year and from what I saw, Im not surprised. Guys just want to act like fucking idiots when they have a few beers and are looking for any reason to fight. Honestly, I dont want to mix with those dicks, and it will keep them away. I actually saw a group of about 7 go after 2 guys. WTF is that all about?? That is un-Australian. Their prime objective is to have a few too many and pick a fight. And these are not really fights, they can be all in brawls. You get a group of 20 guys going at it, and its very hard for the police to control. Unfortunately, its these minority wankers who ruin it for the rest of us who like to sit at the beach and have a few "quiet" bevies and cool off.

Happy Australia Day to you too Nicola and the rest of the Aussie members..

nicola
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:15:27 PM

I agree with you to some extent, especially banning alcohol in places like Cronulla, and other suburbs which have a history of being trouble spots.

In the Eastern Suburbs though? d'oh! (maybe Bondi!)

I guess selectively banning certain places wouldn't work, the problem would merely be shifted elsewhere.

I'm still against it. It's a breach of civil liberties if you ask me.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:25:16 PM

There's this concept called "personal responsibility". The few always mess things up for the many, and if the few ain't got no personal responsibility, then things just get all messed up.
easy_rider75
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:12:21 PM

Got a lot of campgrounds around here that don't allow it either. Shame to nothing like a cold brew by the campfire.

“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.”~Frank Sinatra~
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:58:19 PM

After popping down the beach this afternoon, I quickly realised the Australian thing to do is totally ignore the ban, as well as all the police vans and horse mounted police, and drink beer to their heart's content.

Oh, I did see a bit of a brawl too, a result of the usual teenage male posturing no doubt.
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:06:09 AM

Save your used 'grande' coffee cups after your next latte... then just put your alcohol into the Starbucks cup at home before your next outing. That's what I do when I want to drink in public or at the movie theatre.

But you're right... we shouldn't have to sneak around on principle.

Happy Australia Day! 3601

Milik_Redman
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:18:10 AM

They could always try to limit their policing to the ones actually causing the trouble.
But no, it's just easier to treat everyone like a child
Piquet
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:47:35 AM

While I believe we live under what is called 'the Nanny State' here in Australia, with far too many laws, rules and regulations; I for one have no problem with acohol free beaches. I've seen some pretty ugly scenes at beaches here in South Australia in the past. I felt very happy taking my son for a swim today and being surrounded by families, groups of teens having fun and people just enjoying the sun and surf - and not a drunken yob in sight.

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/claudia-incarnatapart-vii.aspx
charmbrights
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:58:55 AM

We have such bans in places in the UK, together with really tight anti-smoking laws. These are 'justified' by legislators as 'for the public health'.

What I fail to understand is when we have all stopped drinking and smoking,
and are therefore healthier,
and so live longer,
while the authorities receive no alcohol or tobacco taxes,

WHO is going to pay our pensions?

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:13:24 AM

If buying alcohol is legal, then drinking it responsibly should be legal also. If some choose to use the opportunity to get in fights, then arrest them for breaking the appropriate law. Banning all legal minded and law abiding citizens from having a few brews is overkill. The handwriting is on the wall. First smoking bans, now drinking bans. Next it will be no fires on the beach because it will damage the ozone. Then no swimming at night. Then no fast food because the litter will remain on the beach. Our governments are taking away our freedoms one at a time, and right under our noses.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
rxtales
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 1:09:32 AM

charmbrights wrote:
We have such bans in places in the UK, together with really tight anti-smoking laws. These are 'justified' by legislators as 'for the public health'.

What I fail to understand is when we have all stopped drinking and smoking,
and are therefore healthier,
and so live longer,
while the authorities receive no alcohol or tobacco taxes,

WHO is going to pay our pensions?

I think we have a very very long way to go before people stop drinking.