Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Does the continued US presence in Iraq make America USA safer for Americans? Options · View
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 5:25:10 PM

I've been reading.... I'm curious as to what you think...

xx SF
ArtMan
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 8:22:23 PM

We are pulling out of Iraq but will leave about 100 or so military advisors. I doubt being in Iraq or not at this point makes America safer. It's whether or not the Iraqis are safer. Possibly the insurgents will leave. The largest portion of them were not even Iraqi.

We should have a stronger military presence at our international airports and seaports as well as our northern and southern borders in order to keep terrorists out.

Hopefully we will pull out of Afghanistan soon also. That will save US taxpayers a bundle that can be used toward reducing our 1.3 trillion dollar deficit.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

MrNudiePants
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:06:28 AM

The most recent rationale put forth by the war hawks for invading Iraq was the idea that having a permanent military base there would be beneficial for the entire region. That the presence of an armed American force would help to stabilize the surrounding countries. Seeing what has been happening in that area of the world, citizens of despotic regimes taking to the streets and demanding accountability... it has me wondering. Would the uprisings have taken place if we had never invaded?
1curiouscat
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 8:26:01 PM

MrNudiePants wrote:
Seeing what has been happening in that area of the world, citizens of despotic regimes taking to the streets and demanding accountability... it has me wondering. Would the uprisings have taken place if we had never invaded?

I had this very thought the other day. Could not convince myself of yes or no.

However, I am willing to bet that American Foreign policy is rooted in all those uprisings. We may never have proof of this and I could be feeding the conspiracy theories, but I don't believe we can be so naive anymore.

Whether this is a good thing or bad - only time will tell.

One this is for sure, American products will have new markets very soon.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Shibui
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:39:28 AM

I am an isolationist at heart. I think "we" (USA) should pack our toys and come home or turn the place into another state (Puerto Rico for instance). This is a global thought on my part, not just Iraq. I think we should focus our resources internally and resolve our own problems before meddling with others.

That said, I can't think of a way to make money doing this or how to influence others in the world, so I guess, we'll be out there "saving" the world for the foreseeable future.

Are we safer? My feeling on this point: The day the twin towers came down we became safer, because each and every one of us is now painfully aware that a hijacked airplane is a potential weapon. I think the vast majority of us would respond to a hijack attempt on our plane as a threat and address it immediately. This phenomena can be observed with the men with the exploding shoes (Richard Reid) and underwear (Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab). I know that prior to 9/11, I would have thought Oh! I'm being hijacked. We'll probably go to Cuba and be back in a day or two. Now, that action would receive a different response one calculated with terrorism in the equation.

Terrorism exists, it has always existed. The fact that we are aware and personally involved in minimizing it makes us safer, not armed troops occupying another country or the local airport.
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:10:04 AM

Bring our troops home!

Juicyme
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:40:08 PM

I don't think that by invading Iraq, the US became safer. I agree with Shibui, that our awareness of terrorism has made us safer. By this I mean, terrorism wasn't anything new. Unfortunately it has happened all across the world but americans were blind to it because it didn't affect them directly.

I believe that now we (America) need to ensure the safety of the Iraqi people. As much as I would love for every single solider/military personnel to come home, I know that it's not going to happen. We'll probably occupy Iraq until my grandchildren or until there is a stable government in place...which ever comes first. Day by day it looks as if it'll be the former instead of the latter. There are currently Less than 50,000 personnel total there. I want them all to come home as soon as possible as well.
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:50:05 PM

Juicyme wrote:
We'll probably occupy Iraq until my grandchildren or until there is a stable government in place...which ever comes first. Day by day it looks as if it'll be the former instead of the latter. There are currently Less than 50,000 personnel total there. I want them all to come home as soon as possible as well.

Well the good news is, the troops really are coming home, assuming the White House doesn't change its mind. Of course, the drone wars will continue, and our small but active cadre of mercenaries and contractors will stick around.

We're safer now that we're not an occupying force, just as we'd been just as safe if we never were.
Buz
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:36:53 AM

The US needs to get out of Iraq as soon as possible. It is up to the Iraqis to now give themselves a free and stable democracy. I hope they can do it but have serious doubts. They will have major interference from Iran and Syria.

The US also needs to get out of Afghanistan which is a no win situation. Afghanistan is incapable of establishing a free democratic stable government. They are too uneducated, too poor with way too many ancient tribal hatreds. But all of that does not matter. It is their problem! We need to get out!

Juicyme
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 11:02:37 PM

Buz wrote:
.... It is their problem! We need to get out!

But we (the western countries) have created most of the problems in the region. Don't you think that we have some type of responsibility to try to fix it?
kaotik1
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:53:22 AM

Juicyme wrote:
I don't think that by invading Iraq, the US became safer. I agree with Shibui, that our awareness of terrorism has made us safer. By this I mean, terrorism wasn't anything new. Unfortunately it has happened all across the world but americans were blind to it because it didn't affect them directly.

I believe that now we (America) need to ensure the safety of the Iraqi people. As much as I would love for every single solider/military personnel to come home, I know that it's not going to happen. We'll probably occupy Iraq until my grandchildren or until there is a stable government in place...which ever comes first. Day by day it looks as if it'll be the former instead of the latter. There are currently Less than 50,000 personnel total there. I want them all to come home as soon as possible as well.

first there were attacks that go further back than the first attempt on the world trade center. my understanding was a gang in Chicago(I forget the name) that was making arrangements to get surface to air missiles to shot down airplanes.

Second point. Americans are very familiar with terrorism. Some of us can just look outside our windows to see terrorism. Gangs are nothing but home grown terrorist that terrorize the neighborhood they occupy.

Third. we have extremest that wish to over throw the government. if we think that terrorist are our main issue then we dont have to worry about other countries first.

We as Americans live in fear everyday just walking down the street. it just took the hijacking toshed light into the shadows.

Just let it go.
Dirty_D
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:19:44 AM

It is easy to place all your fears and unrest at the feet of your neighbor. when we estabilshed a military base in Saudia Arabia we started asking for problems. When we helped railroad the Isreali nation on people there we asked for problems. Who re we to say they must run their country the way we do? We should come home and let them be. Dont we have enough issues and problems without taking on everyone elses also?

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:00:30 PM

We shouldn't pull out. Do like a Mormon and let it "soak".
allnight
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2011 11:35:00 AM

oh man totally! even though the entire reason the rebel factions from the middle east attacked us in the first place was for going to protect saudi arabia in a short campaign, they are going to totally be cool with an extended presence. NO!!!!
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:10:23 PM

My strong belief is that presence of US soldiers in any part of the world outside USA makes the rest of the world an unsafer place.
DLizze
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:20:07 PM

Vikka wrote:
My strong belief is that presence of US soldiers in any part of the world outside USA makes the rest of the world an unsafer place.

I think that statement is only partially correct: Our continued military presence forming a consant irritant to the inhabitants of those places also makes our own country a less safe place. Senator McCain said today that we need to maintain our huge miliary budget because the threats to this country have not lessened in the recent past. Gee. What a brilliant statement. Of course it hasn't. And it won't, unless and until we get the Hell out of their countries.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:48:30 PM

I believe the US should only maintain a presence in countries we've been invited to. I understand the belief that we need to keep troops spread around the world to maintain stability but I don't think that's entirely true. I think having some overseas troops where we are asked to be or a partnership has been agreed upon would assist in rapid deployments to "hot-spots". I don't view us as the world's police force and think we should force ourselves where we are not wanted. What other country has as many permanent military bases outside their own territory?

Outside of the perception and "safety" issues there is also the monetary factor. How much less in debt would our country be in if we did not have to finance such a large and, for a majority of the time, idle military.

To bring it back to the original question answered, in a word, NO. How would our continued presence in a country that formally asked us to leave help make America safer?
hobbhorn
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:24:21 PM

In a word - No. We should never have been there in the first place; the dilemma is now that we've picked these fights and pissed off many many people in many many countries because of being there i the first place, we need to stay there to try and clean up the mess we created. Of course we will never admit that.
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:02:12 PM

Never admit it or do it.