Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

You & your GINA civil rights. Options · View
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:29:46 PM

I've long wondered (since the mid-90s) if and when, these scenarios might appear and how they might be handled. I had never even
heard of this legislation, to begin with...until 30 minutes ago.

When Congress enacted GINA in 2008, the House of Representatives supported it 414-1, and the Senate backed it unanimously.

The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act, which was passed out of concern for just such cases in the wake of huge advances
in genetics testing, took effect in late 2009. GINA, as it is known, makes it illegal for employers to fire or refuse to hire workers
based on their “genetic information” — including genetic tests and family history of disease. GINA doesn’t just apply to employers:
health-insurance companies can be sued for using genetic information to set rates or even just for investigating people’s genes.

Another major reason genetic-discrimination laws are popular is that this is a kind of bias everyone feels they could be exposed to.
If you are white, you may not think you will benefit from a law against racial discrimination, and if you are straight you probably do
not worry about discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. But none of us has perfect genes — and for the most part, we
have no idea what is lurking in our DNA and RNA. Our genes are complex enough that we all have some negative information encoded
in there — and none of us wants to lose a job or be denied insurance over it.

When juries begin to hear these cases, they are far more likely to identify with the plaintiffs than with the companies that discriminate.
That doesn’t mean that there won’t be plenty of companies looking to benefit from genetic information, but if they use it, they may
well have to pay.

I am also wondering how employers and insurance companies would even be able to
get their frigg'n paws on this type of very personal information, to begin with.

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:18:36 PM

I could easily see insurance companies wanting to use your genetic information to possibly raise your health insurance rates or deny you coverage.

Genetic information is very dangerous in the wrong hands. As our enormous government evolves toward a more autocratic force this information could be another tool to make us totally subjective to our government.

Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:52:54 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:

I am also wondering how employers and insurance companies would even be able to
get their frigg'n paws on this type of very personal information, to begin with.

How? The Medical Information Bureau (MIB). It's not a far stretch of the imagination that a doctor sends a woman to have BRCA1&BRCA2 testing for a very strong family history of breast cancer and now that information can easily end up in her medical records and part of the database at the MIB.
littlemissbitch
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:36:22 PM

while we may have HIPAA laws they are easily circumvented. my ex, a nurse, can access my medical records any time of his choosing and not get caught...

it astounds me though that we need this kind of protection...all in the chase for the mighty dollar.

littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
ArtMan
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:34:47 PM

I am sure the battle of privacy rights involving our DNA has just begun. Any protected rights we have now can easily be taken away if it means that the federal government and large corporations both will mutually benefit by doing so.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx