Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

President Obama launches African-Americans for Obama campaign. Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 8:56:27 AM

Is this appropriate and/or smart politicking or is it pandering?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 5:42:07 PM

Walking around money must be tight. This just seems like they're not expecting the same turnout from black voters this election (reasonably so since it's difficult to improve on 95%). But it's the strategy that targets single women that has me concerned. That's who they have to target to stay in this thing.
ArtMan
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 7:45:13 PM

Can you imagine Newt Gingrich launching a campaign called Caucasians for Gingrich? That would be no different than this video of President Obama. Yes it is pandering and yes it is racist.

If you can switch the word in the phrase for any other race and it sounds racist, then it is racist!

Why couldn't the President just ask for donations and help from all Americans?

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

beowulf69
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 8:16:08 PM

It is the 21st century. When will pandering to a particular race stop?

My first story for Lush is posted, The Goodbye Fuck.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/the-goodbye-fuck.aspx
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 10:28:41 PM

"In Afro-American history, the struggle against society or more precisely society in its various forms of slavery, racism and capitalism has clearly been its motive force. In fact, the periodization of Black History is foci of struggle against social exploitation and oppression. The European slave trade and American slavery; reversal of Reconstruction and the rise of Jim Crow; lynchings and racism in education, employment and other areas of social life; powerlessness and police brutality are all categories not only of exploitive and oppressive social relations but foci of struggle against them." -- Maulana Karenga

Considering that both of these expressions of fellow human beings come forth during the last 35 years, Obama's voice goes to those that may still feel they have none. White men have had the ability to choose their course for more than those 35 odd years, and white women a little longer than black/Afro-Americans (gotta keep on, keeping on in the politically correct world). So why racist or pandering? Why not good marketing strategy or knowing who your audience is? One thread touted the great marketing skills of even a skank like Paris Hilton, but when the same strategy is used by a black man, it's questionable?

Pandering, why not, considering the black vote was historically dismal in light of the fact that there were only white guys to choose from. Which in turn shines a white light on any campaign for white history month as some politicians have proferred, or for comedic effect herein.

Buz
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:49:10 AM

If you are going to pull the historical perspective into this as an excuse, then how do you excuse that Obama is speaking as head of the Democrat Party. YES! The Democrat Party IS the political party that FOUGHT to KEEP slavery, that set up the Jim Crow laws, that opposed civil rights legislation, that opposed school integration, that set up 'separate but equal' legislation, education, discrimination. I am sorry Eviotis but that historical perspective falls flat here. Racial pandering is just that, racist racial pandering! It is time that we as a people are bigger than that!

Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:50:21 PM

Historical reference is not an excuse, it's the reason the ad was done. It's simple marketing strategy. Why is it acceptable for some, but not for this guy whose trying to get the vote to him? And, if we are to get bigger, then why the direct decent to the race card? Why not see those in the ad as fellow Americans? As for "historical", the words written/spoken are from men who have lived in my lifetime and the feelings many fellow Americans have right now. Why is it an issue if he wants to be proud of his ethnicity and talk to those fellow constituents? Don't get me wrong, even some African Americans may find it kind of condescending, and see it for what it is, political ploy.

"...and respecting one another."

Along with other ads, I've noticed over time the serious lack of different hues in political ads, except in town hall meetings where all the colors of benetton are present. In this little piece, as those words are spoken, we see two ladies, one dude, and the token black guy. Is this not even more bullshit, especially coming from such an ass hole, my opinion, than just one African American who is trying to get those who might feel disenfranchised from politics to vote again, in this current time in history? All politicians are sell outs, or at least find out quickly once winning a seat that in this ridiculous system, that selling out is the only way to achieve in some small measure that which you aspired to before confronting reality? I've noticed before and after shots of Clinton, Bush, Jr., and Obama, where they look so much older and haggard due to facing this inevitability.

How does history fall flat when it's fact? It been a white world in America for along time. Now that others are coming into power we fall flat and ask, "can't we be bigger than this?"

LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:20:24 PM

eviotis wrote:

It been a white world in America for along time. Now that others are coming into power we fall flat and ask, "can't we be bigger than this?"

Applause

Eggs-fucking-zactly.

In every thread about race, there's always (at least) one realist that essentially throws cold water on the 'one-world' vibe and says "look, as much as I'd like to exchange platitudes about us all belonging to a single human race, the realities of racial differences are undeniable and constant."

We don't have to like it. We don't even have to accept it long term, since I do believe that striving for unity is admirable. But, especially in the case of politics, it seems like very selective outrage to harrumph about Obama playing 'the race card', when the fact of the matter is that any campaign that fails to remind any and every attainable demographic that their bread is better buttered with (insert Candidate and/or Party) is failing. Period.

Some may say that the African-American/Black vote is a shoo-in for Dems no matter what, but David Axelrod would beg to differ, I'm sure. Thus, ads like this. Again, we don't have to like it. I'm half-black, and without some sense of history, I'd be amused by the notion that I'd be led around politically based on my heritage. I'm not Al Sharpton; I don't think blacks are in any way obligated to vote Democrat, but I do think there's a compelling argument on their behalf, especially considering the tone consistently taken by their opposition.

I appreciate Buz's point about the Democrats' role in prolonging the awful slavery and Jim Crow eras, but let's face it: the racist southern "dixiecrats" of those days bear little* resemblance to today's Democratic party. Newt Gingrich, on the other hand, would like for the poor blacks of our inner cities to clean toilets. Because, well you know...they're lazy and don't know shit. Who better than white politicians to instill some "good ol'fashioned values" in our youth through the use of a mop sink?

You want to know what's insulting and divisive? All the despicable dog-whistle politics, made worse by the perpetrators' penchant for treating us like idiots with their "what? we didn't say that!" responses to outrage. That's evil and unnecessary. Black Democrats calling for black support during Black History Month? yawn.

*and by 'little', I mean 'absolutely zero'.
Buz
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:17:25 PM

Eviotis I know the history is very real. What I think falls flat is the president speaking politically as the head of the political party that did all of that. (I know the Dems are different now, but it was a lot more widespread than just the south, theirs just held on a little longer.) Obama is trying to pull the past into his ad video. You have to take the entire history into perspective if you do that. It is a divisive video. Is he now going to make an equal video for every racial and sub-cultural group in the USA? Does he want to be the American president or just president for some Americans? This video is not uniting the nation. Of course I have already given up on him giving any real leadership, he is as inadequate as Bush, and there isn't any candidate on the horizon worth a shit. A poll found 55% of Republicans want someone other than the Republican candidates in the race. On the Democrat side there is only Obama. No independent has a chance. But I will be voting independent anyhow.

Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:59:43 PM

How do I take it purely as a divisive video, and not see all others as the same? White guys touting their understanding of America, and what he/she thinks of it and how they will cure it. I take the video as it is, a piece of marketing strategy, that even black Americans will probably frown upon or see it for what it is. It ain't no secret. My response is more toward the jump streamline to the race card and being seemingly affronted by the fact that all those in the add were not white. This question was not circumspect when all those shiny happy people were white, in the past.

And yes, history is real, and delves into us on a subconscious level, on all sides. Hence the reaction I reacted to, and brought a small snippet of existing feelings to the fore. Lets talk about it. Public Enemy titled an album about this same issue, "Fear Of a Black Planet." An in your face title/message to those who it was speaking to. And, sorry to say, my inkling is that the reactions herein at the beginning were more towards that, than any call for upward understanding, or our fellow man being had.