Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

"My Apology to President Karzai on behalf of Americans" ... What do you think? Options · View
AngelHeart01
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:05:40 AM

Juicyme
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:58:01 PM

I personally think that this attitude is what fuels the problem. President Obama and the other Military officials were correct for apologizing. This frustrates me because our men and women are in more danger because of this incident, it's been reported that the Taliban has said to target American bases and personnel, and for it to become politicized is just not right. Regardless of how one feels about Afghanistan, their culture/practices, Islam, or the war, it cannot be ignored that we're there and have to ensure that any further damage be curbed.

Also, I wonder if this woman would be okay if another country's military burned "accidentally" burned Bibles because there were "secret messages in them," No apology necessary? I think not.
DLizze
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 8:39:05 PM

Juicyme has it exactly right. What strikes fear to my very toes is that both Gingrich and Santorum have publically said the official appology was wrong. I just hope the American money is not foolish enough to elect either of them. I say "money" because I believe anyone who thinks the voting public elects the President is sadly mistaken.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 11:26:39 PM

Dear Kira,

I am sorry that our public schools have not been able to teach you history. My apologies to your teachers for having instilled in you a seemingly well rounded vocabulary that has gone to waste on reactionary points of view. And, for taking the usual smart ass, egocentric approach to international relations that is one of the major reasons why not only Muslims (extremist or not), and some nation states despise the U.S. with passion.

Also, I am sorry for those who will listen to you, and take what you say to heart, and not read what did happen and the actual reason for the apology by Obama.

Good luck in the future, and hopefully, you learn a little more, grow a little more, and understand the world around you a little better so that you can take a more informed stand on issues.

Sincerely,

Smarmy Codger
lafayettemister
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 7:03:28 AM

If there were hidden messages in the Quran, then it was right to take them away. The White House has not released what may have been said in those message. According to reports, Karzai has asked for calm amongst his people. Yet they were still quick to knee-jerk respond by killing two U.S. servicemen. If burning the Quran deserved an apology, then the taking of two lives should deserve an apology. Without reciprocal respect, our goverment is being played.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
1curiouscat
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 7:28:56 AM

I don´t know what happend yet, Ill go read to find out but, I think this girl is a douchebag looking for some internet fame.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
lafayettemister
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 8:33:51 AM

Juicyme wrote:
I personally think that this attitude is what fuels the problem. President Obama and the other Military officials were correct for apologizing. This frustrates me because our men and women are in more danger because of this incident, it's been reported that the Taliban has said to target American bases and personnel, and for it to become politicized is just not right. Regardless of how one feels about Afghanistan, their culture/practices, Islam, or the war, it cannot be ignored that we're there and have to ensure that any further damage be curbed.

Also, I wonder if this woman would be okay if another country's military burned "accidentally" burned Bibles because there were "secret messages in them," No apology necessary? I think not.

This is pure 100% politics. From the moment he put pen to paper to apologize, it was political. Pres. Obama's apology had very little, if anything, to do with true remorse for what was done. His apology is almost entirely about assuaging the anger that he knew would rise from his leftist base. He knew if he didn't get in front of this controversy that it would hurt him politically.

In 2009 U.S. military officials did burn Bibles sent to Afghanistan. The unsolicited Bibles sent by a church in the United States were confiscated about a year ago at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan because military rules forbid troops of any religion from proselytizing while deployed there, Lt. Col. Mark Wright said.

If American soldiers are in a prison of another country and were found to be communicating via secret text in their Bibles, I'd have no issue with that government confiscating and burning them. The Bibles, not the soldiers. ha

Buz
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:54:19 AM

I read the articles about what happened. It looks like the Korans had been desecrated with hate messages for terror. They were 'destroyed, ie. burned'' according to Islamic law. No apology necessary.

Milik_Redman
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:10:43 AM

Members of radical islam have shown a willingness to kill themselves in order to kill Americans and other secular western citizens. In light of that fact I find it simply astounding that anyone would believe that the burning of some books or an apology for it will make a bit of difference in how they feel or their level of hate.

They object to the very freedoms we hold dear, nothing more and nothing less. The rest is just window dressing. We would be wise to leave them to their lives and come home. we need to stay out of their lands and their lives.

If then they feel that they need to rain gods wrath upon us we can return the wrath many times over without having to set foot on their soil. They do not understand us but they do understand strength and a willingness to use it without remorse.

I am very much against war. I do believe in extreme retribution.
MoonlightSerenity
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:28:24 PM

To be honest, I think she's just looking for people to go and watch her video and isn't caring about how it can turn around and affect her.

Teased and Tormented -My very first story and competition entry is now up!
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:51:01 PM

I think presidents have for years apologized for different things. Rarely do they say the words I'm/we're sorry. Unfortunate is used a lot.
littlemissbitch
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 9:20:18 PM

eviotis wrote:
Dear Kira,

I am sorry that our public schools have not been able to teach you history. My apologies to your teachers for having instilled in you a seemingly well rounded vocabulary that has gone to waste on reactionary points of view. And, for taking the usual smart ass, egocentric approach to international relations that is one of the major reasons why not only Muslims (extremist or not), and some nation states despise the U.S. with passion.

Also, I am sorry for those who will listen to you, and take what you say to heart, and not read what did happen and the actual reason for the apology by Obama.

Good luck in the future, and hopefully, you learn a little more, grow a little more, and understand the world around you a little better so that you can take a more informed stand on issues.

Sincerely,

Smarmy Codger

hello1

littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
mercianknight
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 6:01:29 AM

Okay, I admit that I just about laughed my socks off at that video. Her tongue in cheek delivery was priceless and, with a better choice of topic and script, she could get a slot on the 'Daily Show'.

On a serious note, however, those that have criticised her do her an injustice. She is entitled to her own opinion and freedom of expression is still one of the things that makes western culture so strong. I personally would not have crafted such a response in that way myself, but a large part of me sees her point.

Obama should NOT have apologized. He should, by all means, have explained the rationale for what transpired and that, given the available options and the fact that the books had been desecrated already, the troops were doing the best they could. The stirring up of hatred against the U.S. is not going to stop any time soon and I am pretty sure they would have found some other slight to rant about if this incident had not come to light. The problem is ultimately how it was handled and, if I was a U.S. soldier out there right now, I would be feeling that my own President does not have my back.

Let's see how much they can really mess this up. Perhaps they'll put the personnel in charge of the burning on a charge? cussing

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
DLizze
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 6:56:59 AM

As usual, the military personnel in charge of the prisoners acted in haste and with total disregard of the local customs and mores. This time, in so doing, they managed to very neatly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Desecration of the Koran (or Queran, as popular spelling would have it) is considered by the most religious MIddle Easterners to be a capital offense. Even the less fanatic members of the Muslim religion consider this desecration a terrible act. If the military had been the least bit sensitive to that, they could have used the desecration to show those who did the deed to be the infidels they truly are. Instead, they chose to destroy the evidence. Why, given the lies the populace of the Middle East have endured from Euro-Centric politicians (including the US) since the turn of the 20th century, should they believe this was anything other than another lie? Clearly, the best thing our government could do is apologize.

As an aside, I think it is worth noting that President Obama did not make the apology, nor did Secretary of State Clinton. The apology came tfrom the general in charge of operations. Those who would use this apology to denigrate the Obama administration are really stretching facts a great deal.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 7:00:02 AM

We'll soon see how this all plays out. Reports out are saying that NATO has agreed with the Afghan government's demand to bring justice to the soldiers that burned the Quran. Through an open trial so that the perpetrators of the crime can be brought to justice. If convicted in an Afghan court what would the penalty be? Death?

edit... from all I've read the apology did come from Pres. Obama himself in the form of a letter to Pres. Karzai