Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Sex Offender Notification Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:11:46 AM

The mailman just dropped off today's mail. In it is a white card of a Sex Offender who has moved into the area. Jane Doe was convicted in 1992 and 1998 of "Crimes Against Nature". Crimes against nature, in the state of Louisiana is basically an archaic law that targets poor women and gay men. Engaging in or soliciting oral or anal sex is a criminal offense... Crime Against Nature. Anyone convicted of this crime must register as a Sex Offender.

So basically, and I'm assuming here, but this is the norm for a woman convicted of this silly crime in my state. Jane Doe was caught selling blowjobs and/or anal sex. So now she is going to be a Sex Offender for the rest of her life. There is no indication she had sex with a minor or commited any kind of sexual assault.

My question is this. Does having people who have commited a crime such as this, and having them register as a sex offender. Does that dilute the serious nature of "real" sex offenders. Does it unintentionally allow the pedophiles and rapists to be less noticiable via registration?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
LadyX
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:17:15 AM

Probably. Though a quick search of sex offenders in my area also discloses the specific crime (i.e. the actual act and the age of the victim). If some states (such as Louisiana) give no more info than that, then not only does it allow true sexual predators to hide in the weeds, thus defeating the purpose of the notification, but it also persecutes normal people for minor offenses by dumping them into the same group as actual, potentially dangerous criminals.
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:02:35 AM

I agree and what a shame.
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:10:58 AM

LadyX wrote:
Probably. Though a quick search of sex offenders in my area also discloses the specific crime (i.e. the actual act and the age of the victim). If some states (such as Louisiana) give no more info than that, then not only does it allow true sexual predators to hide in the weeds, thus defeating the purpose of the notification, but it also persecutes normal people for minor offenses by dumping them into the same group as actual, potentially dangerous criminals.

Her notification card specifies that she is a "Tier III" offender. The same tier as forcible rape, kidnapping of a minor, and sexual batter of a child under 13. Seems to be out of place to lump anal sex in with truly awful offenses.

Buz
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:21:48 PM

There is nothing more disgusting than child molesters and rapists.

But we do have a problem with the sex offender registry here in Georgia. Say you have an 18 year old with a 16 year old girlfriend/boyfriend. If they have consensual sex it is illegal and if caught and convicted that 18 year old is listed as a sex offender for the rest of their life. A huge percentage of Georgia's ex offender registry are people like this. That does not do anyone any good. You can't tell the real predators from these victim's of a stupid law.

lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:26:43 PM

Buz wrote:
There is nothing more disgusting than child molesters and rapists.

But we do have a problem with the sex offender registry here in Georgia. Say you have an 18 year old with a 16 year old girlfriend/boyfriend. If they have consensual sex it is illegal and if caught and convicted that 18 year old is listed as a sex offender for the rest of their life. A huge percentage of Georgia's ex offender registry are people like this. That does not do anyone any good. You can't tell the real predators from these victim's of a stupid law.

Yes, that happens alot. I remember seeing a story on 20/20 or Primetime. A 15 year old guy started dating a 13 year old girl. Their relationship goes as most do (trying to not break forum rules here). They date all through high school. He turns 17 or 18 while she's still 15. Her dad finds out about their sex life. Has him arrested for statutory rape. He is convicted even though she supports him. He is a registered sex offender for life. They later got married and had to live with her father because he can't find a job because of his conviction. Dad regrets the whole thing. Just thought the kid would get a slap on the wrist.

latinfoxy
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:41:47 PM

This is another example of how poorly some laws are written and how one word used in the wrong way, could change how you interpret a situation.

For example if it was me that got that letter on the mail, and me being as lazy as i am when it comes to reading completely the things i got by mail, i would have just read her name and sex ofender and immediatly think she raped someone or abused a child and judge her by doing one of those terrible things.

lafayettemister wrote:

Yes, that happens alot. I remember seeing a story on 20/20 or Primetime. A 15 year old guy started dating a 13 year old girl. Their relationship goes as most do (trying to not break forum rules here). They date all through high school. He turns 17 or 18 while she's still 15. Her dad finds out about their sex life. Has him arrested for statutory rape. He is convicted even though she supports him. He is a registered sex offender for life. They later got married and had to live with her father because he can't find a job because of his conviction. Dad regrets the whole thing. Just thought the kid would get a slap on the wrist.

What a horrible situation and also kind of like a cosmical joke of the universe on the dad right?
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:12:23 PM

Yes, I do find it, as well as most laws, a bit too ambiguous. Whether on purpose or just plain callousness, there should be more thought to differentiating between those who hook, and those who are true predators. It defeats the purpose of the label. Also, wouldn't a pimp be more of an offender when he uses a young woman to fill his pockets, than the girl actually doing the physical "offense"? I would think the one being pimped is the victim in most cases.

As for Louisiana, since it's still under Napoleonic Code, that may explain some things.

And for those in FLA, here 'ya go:

Florida Sex Offenders

MrNudiePants
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:24:53 PM

lafayettemister wrote:
My question is this. Does having people who have commited a crime such as this, and having them register as a sex offender. Does that dilute the serious nature of "real" sex offenders. Does it unintentionally allow the pedophiles and rapists to be less noticiable via registration?

I say yes on both counts. The label and strictures against sexual predators ought to be reserved for actual predators. That said, maybe this is just Bobby Jindal's way of letting you know where to go if you want a quick blowjob...
naughtymaggie
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:10:51 PM

Here are my problems with the registry.

1. They paint every offender with the same brush and this keeps people who serve their time and have a low recidivism risk from rejoining society. I mean who's going to hire someone on the registry, everyone has the internet nowadays. If a person gets out of prison and can't get a job and live a normal life what reason do they have not to commit another crime sexual or otherwise, there's no incentive to act right if the outside world is just as terrible as being in prison.

2. Since all levels of sex offender have to register it overwhelms the law enforcement agencies and keeps them from properly monitoring the really dangerous individuals.

3. A public registry provides opportunity for vigilantes to try to harm people who have already served their sentence that was given by the justice system. There was a case in NH where people were burning down the houses sex offenders live in with no regard to the other people who live there.

4.It gives people a false sense of security. Mom checks the registry and sees that her new boyfriend, her kids coach etc. aren't on there and she ignores the warning signs of a true creeper.

nicola
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:14:21 PM

I was looking on the Android Marketplace, and there's a sex offenders App, which is one of the most popular downloads.

I think it shouldn't be allowed personally My 2 cents
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:24:55 PM

Ahhh, dating in the new millenium, App's instead of using one's own reason.
stephanie
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:16:06 PM

I'm very lucky I live in Ireland. Our paedophiles are really easy to spot..... They're the ones who preach Mass every Sunday.....

xx SF

"Unruly girls, who will not settle down, MUST be taken in hand" (Barbarism Begins At Home - The Smiths) xx SF
charmbrights
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 2:20:14 AM

In the UK last year an eleven year old was caught "playing doctors" with a nine year old girl at school. Now he is on the sex offenders register for life.

What worries me is the impression we are giving to children that sex is bad, and all adults are dangerous.

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
nicola
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 2:24:16 AM

stephanie wrote:

I'm very lucky I live in Ireland. Our paedophiles are really easy to spot..... They're the ones who preach Mass every Sunday.....

xx SF

laughing9

I shouldn't laugh...but I can't help it.
rxtales
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 3:33:06 AM

charmbrights wrote:
In the UK last year an eleven year old was caught "playing doctors" with a nine year old girl at school. Now he is on the sex offenders register for life.

What worries me is the impression we are giving to children that sex is bad, and all adults are dangerous.

But they are both under 16, how could only one of them get in trouble?

I think some thinks are ridiculous.

If there was someone who was a dangerous sexual offender - rapist, kidnapper, pedophile... I would want to know. I don't trust that people change that much. Maybe clarifying what their crimes actually are would prevent those who slept with their 17 year old girlfriends, being harassed, or anything like that.
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 8:44:03 AM

stephanie wrote:

xx SF

This is the reason why the Catholic schools in my city are closing down....the catholic church needs to use the money for Lawyers for the priests
Michael_X
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 11:26:45 AM

I'd say so. The more you see something the more you stop really caring about something. Although what she did was a crime. I don't really care, now of it was a rapist/pedo. I'd want to know that.

"Do you want to live to work or work to live"

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

"Always hold you head up high, never come off weak"

Michael
WellMadeMale
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:14:38 AM

nicola wrote:
I was looking on the Android Marketplace, and there's a sex offenders App, which is one of the most popular downloads.

I think it shouldn't be allowed personally My 2 cents

The gift that keeps on giving - felonies and scarlet letters of shame!

We Americans are peculiar lot. We believe in handing out punishment and making it stick forever!

The quirky thing about this kind of thing is...

We elect representatives based upon their big ticket pledges during their election campaigns. Then 'they' take office and spend their time legislating morality which they didn't bother to inform us clearly about, before we cast our votes for them.

In a way...we voted for exactly the puritanism and punishments we get. Unless we speak up and campaign to throw those bastards out of office and then work to get those laws reversed....we're basically agreeing with what we sit here and bitch about.

So...you know what you have to do, right? Get cracking. violent1

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:06:39 PM

I find that those who tout most about morality, have the least amount of it. Looking at the political landscape at the moment, there are touts galore.

That is a shame about the little one's playing doctor, and agree with the statement.

And, the one about the Irish priests....I have a devilish grin while my body shakes with laughter.

Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:33:41 PM

Most of the sex offenders here in Ohio give an address for registering and live elsewhere.
charmbrights
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 3:05:43 AM

rxtales wrote:
charmbrights wrote:

But they are both under 16, how could only one of them get in trouble? ...

She was under 10 and cannot be prosecuted in English law, he was over 10 and could.

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
budwilliams
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:37:52 PM

In Virginia, oral sex is a five-year felony

What I want to know is why they single out sex offenders ....
What about armed robbery, drug runners, and murder?
There have been three drug busts within 100 yards of my front door in the past 20 years; and in the 60's, we lived a couple blocks down the street from serial killer Edmund Kemper.
They all had prior convictions, but nobody bothered to tell us