Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Story Queue Complaints / Processing Times Options · View
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:45:28 PM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 26,644
Location: United Kingdom
We've received a few complaints recently that stories have taken a while to be processed.

I'd like to gently remind the more impatient of you, a few points.

The verifiers are all volunteers. It is quite often a thankless task, and they do an amazing job.

In the first 2 weeks of March alone, we have processed over 400 stories. Of those, 31% were rejected.

That means, our verifiers have to double-handle (and often triple-handle) almost a third of the stories submitted, which really doesn't help with clearing the queue on a daily basis.

What is perhaps most annoying about this, is those stories should never have been submitted in the first place.

The most common rejection reasons are:

a) Too many spelling and grammatical mistakes.

b) Formatting issues.

c) Submitting stories which break our content guidelines.

If you would like to see your story on site quickly, make sure you do the following prior to submitting:

a) Run your story through a spellcheck. Read your story at least 3 times to check for grammar issues. Spellcheck will not help you with the incorrect use of too / to / two, so make sure you check thoroughly.

b) Check how your story looks in the "Preview Story" pane, make any necessary changes.

c) Read our site guidelines relating to story submissions. If your story doesn't meet them, don't submit it.

Thank you.

Nicola
sprite
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:56:00 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness
Moderator

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 17,578
Location: My Tower, United States
Just to add to this, first off, i get really lovely notes from people i verify stories for. thank you, it is appreciated. Secondly, read a story carefully and time yourself doing that. Then, multiply that times by 6 and then add 2. That's my daily work load - close to 90 minutes. Sometimes it's more, like right now when we are trying to catch up. Some of the mods do more than that. it's a labor of love, but it is a lot of work especially when some of the stories return not once, not twice, but 4 or 5 times before they are publishable, so yes, please be patient, we are working as fast as we can while still trying to maintain the highest quality possible for what is, THE best sight for erotica on the net. :)

btw. feel free to volanteer - we could use the help!

thanks and hugs,
sprite.

Live, love, laugh.
DirtyMartini
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:33:14 AM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,850
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
sprite wrote:


btw. feel free to volanteer - we could use the help!


I'm sorry...feel free to do what? That word is not in my dictionary...dontknow

Good advice Nic...


You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

Guest
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:10:53 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 693,587
sprite wrote:


btw. feel free to volanteer - we could use the help!

thanks and hugs,
sprite.


That would be *volunteer, Ms Sprite!!

*ducks*

(was that a test?? Do I pass? Where do I collect my clocking in card? Or do I have to get a chip inserted into my neck or something?)
nicola
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:34:27 PM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 26,644
Location: United Kingdom
Mazza wrote:


That would be *volunteer, Ms Sprite!!

*ducks*

(was that a test?? Do I pass? Where do I collect my clocking in card? Or do I have to get a chip inserted into my neck or something?)


We're analysing your DNA now for suitability. icon_smile
stephanie
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:38:08 PM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,564
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
nicola wrote:


We're analysing your DNA now for suitability. icon_smile


Nic, Mom, YOU KNOW I can't make the joke but..... YEAH!

(I love making Mommy laugh!)

xx Steph

"A DIFFERENT kind of TINSEL decorates MY TREE!!!!" xx SF
Guest
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:44:30 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 693,587
nicola wrote:


We're analysing your DNA now for suitability. icon_smile


Oh shit... I'm screwed then!!

(not a word, Steph, not a fucking word)
stephanie
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:33:37 PM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,564
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
sprite wrote:
Just to add to this, first off, i get really lovely notes from people i verify stories for. thank you, it is appreciated. Secondly, read a story carefully and time yourself doing that. Then, multiply that times by 6 and then add 2. That's my daily work load - close to 90 minutes. Sometimes it's more, like right now when we are trying to catch up. Some of the mods do more than that. it's a labor of love, but it is a lot of work especially when some of the stories return not once, not twice, but 4 or 5 times before they are publishable, so yes, please be patient, we are working as fast as we can while still trying to maintain the highest quality possible for what is, THE best sight for erotica on the net. :)

btw. feel free to volanteer - we could use the help!

thanks and hugs,
sprite.


Just wanted to add something to this....

Lush readers only read what we APPROVE.

They don't see the very many stories we can't approve for reasons of quality, site guidelines or plain weirdness! But we have to read AND ADVISE on every single story submitted....

To be honest, it's interesting, though it can be HELLISH when you're looking at totally sub-standard stuff, the stuff regular Lush readers don't see.... To try to explain to someone who's really keen to write for us that frankly, you need to put A LOT MORE effort into what you're giving us is sooooo hard! You don't want to put people off or hurt anyone's feelings.... But WE ARE quality controllers as well....

And then there are the times when you discover a New Writer who simply SHINES with talent! (Paperback Rita, Shylass, Harry Lime.... to name just three recent ones.... I could name 20 more....)

I make a point of writing PMs to writers to point out how I've edited the work. (Very often, it's simple but laborious work like paragraphing, inserting missing punctuation, correcting dialogue to house style, correcting the way we write numbers in prose form, fixing simple misspellings....) Most writers, 98% indeed, respond graciously....

I find it quicker to edit the stories I read as I go rather then to bounce them back and hope the writer can correct the work...

Because most Lush Writers are really excited to get the stories UP and receive those comments and votes. So they submit the work as soon as they can, and in their eagerness they miss basic errors and mistakes. (I do this Myself, there's not a single ONE of Stephanie's stories that doesn't contain a mistake!)

We story Mods TRY to catch those errors, but at any given point in our day there are maybe a dozen stories awaiting our attention. Yes, we do miss things.

But the Life-Blood of Lush is new writing. It's why I come here every day, to read new stuff. And we Mods try very hard to get as much new writing up as fast and as best as we can. (At the moment of my writing this, there are 14 brand new stories in my queue...)

We don't always get it right.

We do the best we can for a site we're all invested in.

xx Steph

"A DIFFERENT kind of TINSEL decorates MY TREE!!!!" xx SF
Shylass
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:40:06 PM

Rank: Gingerbread Lover

Joined: 1/6/2012
Posts: 3,680
Location: Trumpton, United Kingdom
I saw Steph's signature and figured every line of this song must somehow fit to the stories mods have to read, whether we get to see them or not...






I liked it, anyway. Embarassed



Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

***
********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
stephanie
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:31:25 PM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,564
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
Shylass wrote:
I saw Steph's signature and figured every line of this song must somehow fit to the stories mods have to read, whether we get to see them or not...






I liked it, anyway. Embarassed



*Kisses You*

xx Steph

"A DIFFERENT kind of TINSEL decorates MY TREE!!!!" xx SF
Sarahshort
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:02:23 PM

Rank: Active Ink Slinger

Joined: 4/15/2011
Posts: 34
Your a little love Steph, you helped me no end xxx Hugs
DirtyMartini
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 12:18:57 AM

Rank: Purveyor of Poetry & Porn

Joined: 10/19/2009
Posts: 5,850
Location: Right here on Lush Stories..., United States
stephanie wrote:


Lush readers only read what we APPROVE.



Lol...and yeah, the same thing applies over on the blue site as well...for instance, we had a story submitted not long ago where I swear not one word, two syllables or more, was spelled the same way twice in the story...

Was thinking maybe we could have a section here where we could post some of the more entertaining rejected stories...sort of a "humor" section...




You know you want it, you know you need it bad...get it now on Amazon.com...
Lush Erotica, an Anthology of Award Winning Sex Stories

nicola
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 12:37:55 AM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 26,644
Location: United Kingdom
DirtyMartini wrote:
Was thinking maybe we could have a section here where we could post some of the more entertaining rejected stories...sort of a "humor" section...


That's not very nice, you meanie.
stephanie
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 11:13:26 AM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,564
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
Sarahshort wrote:
Your a little love Steph, you helped me no end xxx Hugs


"You're..."

Pay attention, you daft bint!!!

JOKE! JOKE! JOKE! JOKE!

(And it was my pleasure!)

xx Steph

"A DIFFERENT kind of TINSEL decorates MY TREE!!!!" xx SF
nicola
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 3:14:03 PM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 26,644
Location: United Kingdom
I submitted a story to a competitor's site (well, they try) a few months ago, it took 12 days to see the light of day on their site.
stephanie
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 9:49:52 PM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,564
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
nicola wrote:
I submitted a story to a competitor's site (well, they try) a few months ago, it took 12 days to see the light of day on their site.


With Respect, Mom, probably need to up your game.......

(Nice knowing All Y'All.....)

xx Steph

"A DIFFERENT kind of TINSEL decorates MY TREE!!!!" xx SF
nicola
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 11:26:24 PM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 26,644
Location: United Kingdom
It had everythin, plat, spelln, charkter developeming. I d/k wut there problm wuz.
sprite
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:34:37 AM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness
Moderator

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 17,578
Location: My Tower, United States
nicola wrote:
It had everythin, plat, spelln, charkter developeming. I d/k wut there problm wuz.


there is no respect for genius these days - it's very sad.

Live, love, laugh.
Guest
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:34:31 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 693,587
Well I for one would like to give my heartfelt thanks to two story mods in particular for their help in getting my story Miss Scott published. Those story mods are Stephanie and Gypsymoth, so thank you to both of you. I was having a little trouble with that story, probably because it was the first BDSM story I'd ever written and their help was greatly appreciated. I would also like to say, to all the authors out there (if it's ok with the story mods), don't be afraid to ask for feedback if you're having trouble with getting a story approved - the mods don't bite. And of course thanks to Nicola for making this site in the first place. I raise a glass to you all!
Shylass
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:21:42 PM

Rank: Gingerbread Lover

Joined: 1/6/2012
Posts: 3,680
Location: Trumpton, United Kingdom
DirtyMartini wrote:


Lol...and yeah, the same thing applies over on the blue site as well...for instance, we had a story submitted not long ago where I swear not one word, two syllables or more, was spelled the same way twice in the story...

Was thinking maybe we could have a section here where we could post some of the more entertaining rejected stories...sort of a "humor" section...



I was gutted when this thread died off. http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst9161_Weally-Wretched-Writing.aspx

Can there not be an anonymous posting of terrible excerpts, or something? Please? drunken


Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

***
********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Fugly
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:31:51 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 9/11/2010
Posts: 1,010
As much as it eased the pain of verifying coming across a very amusing mistake (most often, not a mistake d'oh! ) I think we could lose a few members if they found that we were having fun at their expense Embarassed
sprite
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:33:36 PM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness
Moderator

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 17,578
Location: My Tower, United States
Fugs wrote:
As much as it eased the pain of verifying coming across a very amusing mistake (most often, not a mistake d'oh! ) I think we could lose a few members if they found that we were having fun at their expense Embarassed


i know! if Nicola ever finds out about the stuff we say about her writing... ummm... she can't see this, can she?

Live, love, laugh.
nicola
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:32:15 AM

Rank: Matriarch
Moderator

Joined: 12/6/2006
Posts: 26,644
Location: United Kingdom
Very true Fugs, it would be rather disrespectful.

My speciality is writing formulaic trite...

stephanie
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:52:39 AM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,564
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
Gurlyboy wrote:
Well I for one would like to give my heartfelt thanks to two story mods in particular for their help in getting my story Miss Scott published. Those story mods are Stephanie and Gypsymoth, so thank you to both of you. I was having a little trouble with that story, probably because it was the first BDSM story I'd ever written and their help was greatly appreciated. I would also like to say, to all the authors out there (if it's ok with the story mods), don't be afraid to ask for feedback if you're having trouble with getting a story approved - the mods don't bite. And of course thanks to Nicola for making this site in the first place. I raise a glass to you all!


Wow! How Very, Very kind of You! *BLUSHES!*

Just doing our Job!

(But I'm THRILLED!)

Big Kiss!

xx Steph!

(PS. Gypsymoth DOES bite... Well, sort of nibbles and teases, really....)

"A DIFFERENT kind of TINSEL decorates MY TREE!!!!" xx SF
stephanie
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:04:31 AM

Rank: Bohemian

Joined: 1/1/2010
Posts: 5,564
Location: Dublin, Ire., Ireland
Fugs wrote:
As much as it eased the pain of verifying coming across a very amusing mistake (most often, not a mistake d'oh! ) I think we could lose a few members if they found that we were having fun at their expense Embarassed


But WE'RE NOT having fun at their expense!!!

We're merely pointing out errors so that our fellow Mods can be aware to look out for similar 'blips' in other stories....

We're NOT making fun!

Absolutely NOT!

As IF!!!

EVER!!!!!

SHEESH!

xx Steph.....

(BTW, Fugs, I've got a CRACKER for You!!!!! You'll wet your pants!)



"A DIFFERENT kind of TINSEL decorates MY TREE!!!!" xx SF
Shylass
Posted: Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:42:21 PM

Rank: Gingerbread Lover

Joined: 1/6/2012
Posts: 3,680
Location: Trumpton, United Kingdom
Fugs wrote:
As much as it eased the pain of verifying coming across a very amusing mistake (most often, not a mistake d'oh! ) I think we could lose a few members if they found that we were having fun at their expense Embarassed


Okay, then, please feel free to PM me with my own mistakes (or painfully awful thingies). There's nowt like a "I can't believe I wrote that!" to stop a lass doing it again (hopefully). That's what I think, anyway. sunny

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

***
********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
sprite
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 12:25:45 AM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness
Moderator

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 17,578
Location: My Tower, United States
Shylass wrote:


Okay, then, please feel free to PM me with my own mistakes (or painfully awful thingies). There's nowt like a "I can't believe I wrote that!" to stop a lass doing it again (hopefully). That's what I think, anyway. sunny


yours are all perfect, so no worries *hugs* :) even the one that we had to send back was really good!

Live, love, laugh.
sprite
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 1:56:04 AM

Rank: Her Royal Spriteness
Moderator

Joined: 6/18/2010
Posts: 17,578
Location: My Tower, United States
stephanie wrote:


But WE'RE NOT having fun at their expense!!!

We're merely pointing out errors so that our fellow Mods can be aware to look out for similar 'blips' in other stories....

We're NOT making fun!

Absolutely NOT!

As IF!!!

EVER!!!!!

SHEESH!

xx Steph.....

(BTW, Fugs, I've got a CRACKER for You!!!!! You'll wet your pants!)



i poke fun at Steph, but i am told he enjoys the abuse. :)

Live, love, laugh.
Shylass
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 2:33:17 PM

Rank: Gingerbread Lover

Joined: 1/6/2012
Posts: 3,680
Location: Trumpton, United Kingdom
sprite wrote:


yours are all perfect, so no worries *hugs* :) even the one that we had to send back was really good!


Thank you, lass. love7 But somehow, that feels like a challenge of sorts... Think

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

***
********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
TXGirl
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 2:50:04 PM

Rank: Story Verifier

Joined: 2/9/2011
Posts: 186
Location: United States
Processing times are all a matter of perspective. To publish almost anything through traditional venues takes months and sometimes even years, often submitting to dozens of agents and publishers, so patience and a thick skin are necessary virtues for any writer. I've found that Lush wait times are far, far shorter than other sites, and the quality of stories is far superior to most. I for one would prefer a slightly longer wait and a few rejections to ensure the time I spend reading is well spent...there's not much more frustrating than pulling up a story and getting bogged down in grammar errors or ridiculously poor content. I like knowing that what I'm reading has passed a preliminary quality check. (And I try to write with that in mind as well.)

Click here to read "Billion Dollar Booty Call" by Tessa Leigh Hartmann
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.