Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Actress January Jones eats her placenta Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 3:02:47 PM

From the Huffington Post....

Last week, actress January Jones admitted to People Magazine that she ate her own placenta as part of a healthy post-natal regimen. While she got the requisite amount of slack for this –- ABC's headline reads "Mad Mom?.." -- , author Nancy Redd wrote more seriously for NYTimes.com about about the experience she had ingesting afterbirth -- one that was mostly negative.

New York Magazine was the first publication to call out eating afterbirth as a trend. In "The Placenta Cookbook," Atossa Araxia Abrahamian documented benefits of the "snack"; it "is said to alleviate postpartum depression, aid in breastmilk production and lactation, act as a uterine tonic, and replenish nutrients lost during pregnancy," she wrote.

But because there have been no scientific studies to confirm or deny the benefits of eating placenta (which, can actually be consumed in pill form, not necessarily with fries on the side), arguments on either side have been strictly anecdotal.

In September, Babble blogger Elizabeth Stark recounted her decision to try placenta eating and encouraged other moms to follow her lead. "I didn't experience mood swings and I had more energy while taking the pills. Though I don't have a double-blind, peer-reviewed study to back up my claim, I feel confident that placenta-eating made those first few postpartum weeks easier," she wrote.

And, Jones -– whose real-life parenting tactics are a far cry from on-screen character, Betty Draper's -- told People that taking the capsules isn't "witch-crafty" and she recommends it to all moms. Besides, she adds, humans are the only mammals who don't do it.

On the other end of the spectrum, Redd, posed the question: "How many other women are putting their trust in their placenta as a minimizer of baby blues when it very well may be a cause of their mama drama?"

Placentophagia -– the scientific word, usually in reference to animals -- drove her, she believes, into a "tabloid-worthy meltdown mode" -- causing tears and rage just one day after her first dose. As soon as she stopped taking the pills, she felt better.

And now, she regrets "being so gullible without a single shred of proof". After all, pre-pregnancy, she writes, she was the skeptic who would warn a friend, "You don't know what's actually in that! Natural doesn't always mean good." But once her baby came, the possibility of terrible things happening seemed far scarier than swallowing a few "miracle" pills.

Redd does consider that her manic episode and return to normalcy may have been independent from her pill consumption. A woman's hormones and body change so much post-birth that it would be hard to extract what caused her meltdown specifically. Factors that play into post-partum depression, or the tamer "baby blues" include hormonal changes and emotional factors. Research even suggests that weaning can be a cause.

Still, while the effects of placenta eating aren't clinically known, Redd suggests that, like an appendix, maybe placenta is something that should stay out of the body once it comes out.

==============================

What do you think? Is this a healthy and natural thing? Or totally gross and unnecessary? So far from what I've read from commenters on different sites, there is very little middle ground. What say you Lushies?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
LadyX
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 3:18:16 PM

One thing I've noticed while reading up on all things "pregnant and new mom" in books and blogs is that there's no shortage of fanatical busy-bodies that look for every opportunity to tell you that no matter what methods you subscribe to for motherhood, they're wrong, dangerous, and short-sighted. This sort of harpy shit: "Still, while the effects of placenta eating aren't clinically known, Redd suggests that, like an appendix, maybe placenta is something that should stay out of the body once it comes out"- falls right into that category. Based on what? One woman who thought it was a mistake and was looking for a scapegoat for her PPD?

Mommy culture is truly a strange little world, where every opinion is strident and vehemently opposed by some other woman or group, convinced that your baby should be taken away post-haste for believing what you do. At best, that's the consistent passive-aggressive subtext.

As for my opinion, I've heard about placenta ingestion, and I've read quite a bit about it. My doctor says I have nothing to worry about if I choose to do this, and I trust him, since he's been to medical school and I haven't. Is it "gross and unnecessary"? Most things besides water and air are unnecessary, depending on how you look at it. Gross? To some, sure, but thinking it's gross and spewing judgement on those who don't (speaking of 'unnecessary') are two different things. Look at some of the threads here* for examples of this mindset.

With something as high-stakes and personal as becoming a mother, it's hard- even for those who adamantly think for themselves- to not question every little thing based on the passionate feelings on both sides of every decision, but a little less judgement would go a long way in general. I say: if you're interested in placenta ingestion and trust your doctor, ask him/her, and follow that advice. If you don't trust their word for it, find a new doctor. If you're not interested and think it's gross, file that away in the drawer marked "things I privately disapprove of" and mind your own business.

* this one comes to mind: http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst22150_Ok-ladies-and-gentemen-I-want-to-knowwould-you-suck-his-cock-RIGHT-AFTER-anal-sex-And-men-would.aspx
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 3:34:53 PM

I never ate the placenta after either of my two were born.

My youngest was born at home in a birth pool and I requested that they not cut the cord for about 20 mins (as the cord continues to pulse for about that amount of time after birth - which worked out fine as it gave me a chance to breast feed her before I had to deliver the placenta). I got to have a good close look at it after - it was very dense, heavy - it may sound gross, but when you think of how it helped to sustain your infant as they grew inside it, I mean, FUCK!! It's fucking amazing!!

I can certainly see the logic behind eating the placenta - I mean it's full of proteins and nourishment, so if times were tough, then it would make sense to consume it to help the body to recover after pregnancy and birth - a proper 'super-food' I should think. Which is of course why animals consume theirs. Birds often do that as well - eat part of the egg shell and any remnants after the chicks have hatched.

I never ate mine - geez, I do find the thought a bit off-putting, but I do know of people who have. I imagine it would be like liver, or some other sort of offal? Some people will have some sort 'ceremony' to celebrate the birth and will bury the placenta somewhere special...

There is a technique called Lotus birth, where the umbilical cord isn't cut at all and the placenta is carried around until such times as they naturally separate... Again, not my cup of tea, but I guess it must work for some...

Lotus Birth - weblink

Like Lady X says, to each his own and I well remember what bastards people can be to women who are pregnant (especially in their first pregnancy). Some people really delight in telling women (who are often pretty scared already) what they should do or not do, filling their heads with horror stories of things that happened to them or 'someone they know'... Oh and the incessant touching - damn, I used to hate when people gravitated straight to the belly and touch you without even saying hello first....

crazydiamond
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 3:39:12 PM

that made me shiver in a bad way. thanks for the birth control :) *shivers*

LadyX
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 3:43:11 PM

Mazza wrote:

Like Lady X says, to each his own and I well remember what bastards people can be to women who are pregnant (especially in their first pregnancy). Some people really delight in telling women (who are often pretty scared already) what they should do or not do, filling their heads with horror stories of things that happened to them or 'someone they know'... Oh and the incessant touching - damn, I used to hate when people gravitated straight to the belly and touch you without even saying hello first....

Thank you! And oh, the touching...grr.. Luckily, I'm often with a much taller, bigger, somewhat mean-looking man who tends to ward off those who would normally act the fool and treat me like a Chinese Buddha in a restaurant lounge.

cussing
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 4:45:30 PM

LadyX wrote:

Thank you! And oh, the touching...grr.. Luckily, I'm often with a much taller, bigger, somewhat mean-looking man who tends to ward off those who would normally act the fool and treat me like a Chinese Buddha in a restaurant lounge.

cussing

Buddha! Lol, that's just about right!

Still, I did actually love being pregnant...

(not that I have any plans to do it again though!!)
sugarbabe
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 5:43:21 PM

sounds like she could be a preying mantis. They eat their mates head before they deliver.
So to give them the best start at life.

sex is like a joke...it's only good if you get it

MrNudiePants
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 8:30:57 PM

Mazza wrote:

Women have been having babies successfully for thousands and thousands of years. Way before the first medical school gave its first lesson in blood-letting. Ain't nothing to be askeered of. Like the good Lady says, if you have a medical question, the person to ask is your doctor. And if you don't trust his judgement, it's time to find a new doctor. Damn, but she's a smart one.

LadyX wrote:

Damn again. And here I was, all ready to make a special trip out to touch the cutest Buddha-belly in the world. Time to unpack, I guess. (sigh)
ponyboy
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 2:22:17 AM

this seems like a natural act & a personal decision for the individual,but the P-pill has me scratchin my head? WTF? [cant be worse then pink slime!]Regaeman Man

Playmale
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 9:13:36 PM

LadyX wrote:
If you're not interested and think it's gross, file that away in the drawer marked "things I privately disapprove of" and mind your own business.

This applies to so many things or situations, and I think it's now one of my favorite quotes!
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:07:48 PM

January Jones said, "Besides, she adds, humans are the only mammals who don't do it."

We are also the only mammals that wipe our own butts. Also, many mammals, such as dogs, eat their own shit. Food for thought. lol

Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:55:18 AM

Buz wrote:
January Jones said, "Besides, she adds, humans are the only mammals who don't do it."

We are also the only mammals that wipe our own butts. Also, many mammals, such as dogs, eat their own shit. Food for thought. lol

Good pun. What is it about fads? People seem to just jump at anything with promises of health, wealth, long life or whatever sparkles at the moment.
ArtMan
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:19:11 AM

I don't think I can stomach watching Mad Men again. When I see her I will gag.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:56:59 AM

I have no idea who she is. Must not be missing anything.
MissyLuvsYa
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:27:08 PM

chefkathleen wrote:
I have no idea who she is. Must not be missing anything.

She plays on that TV show Mad Men. And all I can say is gross & disgusting!!! Here's her picture, she is gorgeous but obviously dingy!

Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:46:48 PM

Huh. Never heard of the show either.
How about Alicia Silverstone chewing her food and then spitting it into her babies mouth? puke And don't give me that horseshit that the birds do it. We've evolved past that. Supposedly.
beowulf69
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:05:04 PM

She could have cooked that placenta with Hamburger Helper. Believe me you can make Hamburger Helper work with anything. Great product, I bet every single guy under 30 has a cabinet full of it. Or she could have just barbecued that thing and had Beanie Weenies and beer with it.

My first story for Lush is posted, The Goodbye Fuck.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/the-goodbye-fuck.aspx
LadyX
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:05:58 PM

beowulf69 wrote:
She could have cooked that placenta with Hamburger Helper. Believe me you can make Hamburger Helper work with anything. Great product, I bet every single guy under 30 has a cabinet full of it. Or she could have just barbecued that thing and had Beanie Weenies and beer with it.

noted! Hugs
nicola
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 11:27:10 PM

This is right up there with drinking your own urine, for supposed health reasons.

Both practices are absurd in my book.
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 7:02:15 AM

chefkathleen wrote:
Huh. Never heard of the show either.
How about Alicia Silverstone chewing her food and then spitting it into her babies mouth? puke And don't give me that horseshit that the birds do it. We've evolved past that. Supposedly.

I saw that a few days ago. That is just a bit out of fucking bounds. I read that "pre-mastication" was a good thing for our ancestors. You know, before we had blenders. This is just cookey. puke

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 9:20:35 AM

It might have been good for our ancestors cause they didn't have the dental health that we do. They used their "wisdom" teeth until they were nubs. evil4 I couldn't watch that vid again btw. Makes me want to puke tongue6
CharlotteRusse1
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 8:45:36 PM

Well..nowadays we have iron supplements..you could also eat a nice medium rare steak..Early humanoids probably didn't have as many options.

Writer of amateur erotica since 2011..See the latest at:

[url=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-chaise-lounge.aspx]
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:40:03 AM

Hope she didn't over cook it. I bet it gets quite tough if over cooked.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:07:53 AM

Placenta. It's got electrolytes. It's what post-partem women crave.
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:50:13 PM

Well then this should cover that.

LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:11:51 PM

I wonder if my placenta will taste better than this, though.
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:39:58 AM

What is that? I've never heard of it.
MrNudiePants
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:35:28 AM

chefkathleen wrote:
What is that? I've never heard of it.
Google a movie called "Idiocracy." If you can catch it on TV or Netflix, do it. Thank me later.