Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

22nd of July court case Options · View
elitfromnorth
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:57:14 AM

Unless you live in a cave I'm assuming you all heard about the terror attacks in Norway on the 22nd of July last year. We are now week 2 into the courtcase, and last week was all about the defendant Anders Behring Breivik(ABB) explaining himself to the court.

In our media it's a big thing(obviously) but there's also a focus on how big an issue it is in the media in the rest of the world. So I'm asking you dear foreigners, is he front page material in the rest of the world as well? Do you constantly get slammed with a picture of him or the bombsite and large articles (hopefully with more substance and common sense than the Norwegian ones, because the media here sucks more than a crackwhore with massive cravings)? I'm just curious about how much attention the court case gets in the outside world.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:52:05 AM

Not as much as they want. I see a blurb on CNN once in awhile about it. Maybe 2-3 minutes and then it's on to something else. They love showing him giving the Nazi heil Hitler salute. Rarely do we see anything else.
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:05:21 AM

Like CK said we get a short blurb on the nightly news and it is in the newspapers in the international section.

The media here in the USA are all a bunch of whores anyhow.

I don't usually support the death penalty but would sure like to see it carried out on that Breivik. Too bad you all can't give him a trial in Texas or Florida, they'd execute him for sure. (California would probably give him outpatient therapy!)

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:06:43 AM

Buz wrote:
Too bad you all can't give him a trial in Texas or Florida, they'd execute him for sure. (California would probably give him outpatient therapy!)

Texas wouldn't bother to make sure he's actually guilty; they just like to kill people.
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:13:17 AM

LadyX wrote:

Texas wouldn't bother to make sure he's actually guilty; they just like to kill people.

Texas is the main reason I generally oppose the death penalty. They have had dozens of people on death row released from prison because DNA evidence later exonerated them. Texas District Attorney's are the worst in the nation of just wanting an easy conviction, truth be damned!

As long as District Attorney's are a politically elected office innocent people will be executed for crimes they did not do. Therefore I am in favor of abolishing the death penalty in America. (Though there are some that truly deserve it, killing one innocent person is not worth it.)

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:15:07 AM

Buz wrote:

Texas is the main reason I generally oppose the death penalty. They have had dozens of people on death row released from prison because DNA evidence later exonerated them. Texas District Attorney's are the worst in the nation of just wanting an easy conviction, truth be damned!

As long as District Attorney's are a politically elected office innocent people will be executed for crimes they did not do. Therefore I am in favor of abolishing the death penalty in America. (Though there are some that truly deserve it, killing one innocent person is not worth it.)

my stance exactly.

Regarding the OP, as Chef said, we get the occasional headline about the outrageous things he's said, but a blow-by-blow account of the testimonies and evidence is something you have to dig for if you live here in the US. I do think the rise of nationalism in Europe is scary/interesting.
1curiouscat
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:20:34 AM

elitfromnorth wrote:
Unless you live in a cave I'm assuming you all heard about the terror attacks in Norway on the 22nd of July last year. We are now week 2 into the courtcase, and last week was all about the defendant Anders Behring Breivik(ABB) explaining himself to the court.

In our media it's a big thing(obviously) but there's also a focus on how big an issue it is in the media in the rest of the world. So I'm asking you dear foreigners, is he front page material in the rest of the world as well? Do you constantly get slammed with a picture of him or the bombsite and large articles (hopefully with more substance and common sense than the Norwegian ones, because the media here sucks more than a crackwhore with massive cravings)? I'm just curious about how much attention the court case gets in the outside world.

When the trial began, we had some converage in Brazil during the international bits of the news (both radio and tv). Since the first three days of the case I have not heard or seen anything on it. Unless I personally go after the information They are not really talking about it.

Unless he does something out of the ordinary (like the nazi salute he gave on the first days) I doubt they will say anything untill the verdict.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
elitfromnorth
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:11:54 AM

It was actually a right wing salute that he made up himself. It's something he took from the lefties and instead of using the left hand he used his right to show that it was meant for right wingers. And he distances himself from the Nazis. He doesn't really care about the jews, only hate the muslims and the lefties.

But I understand that they don't show anything other than that, considering the court said no to voice or video transmission of him on the stand. Didn't want to make it a place for him to preach his policies. Just wondered how much other countries get bashed with it. How about the first days after the incident? Was it a massive media coverage then?

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
DLizze
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:17:54 AM

He gets passing coverage on US National Public Radio, but it is usually by way of retransmissions of BBC broadcasts.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
latinfoxy
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:03:12 AM

Here in Venezuela was news when it happened and thats it. I think i read a small article about the trial once and nothing more, but then again we have enough issues to cover on the news of things that are happening here and more death every weekend than on that day, so i guess is normal we dont cover that one up that much.
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:04:12 AM

He was all over the news in the UK with that pathetically plagiarized salute but now he's kinda dropped from the main headlines. I can't stand him. So smug, and so sure of himself when the rest of the wold knows he's a deranged psychopath.
ArtAngel
Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:16:04 AM

First time we r hearing about this here in the Caribbean..wow!!