Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The internet Options · View
elitfromnorth
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:08:35 PM

Where everyone blindly follows the truth, Remember that nothing is true
Where others are guided by morality and law, remember that everything's permitted.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Those of you who do gaming will remember this as the most essential quote from the Assassin's Creed game series. My question is, how well does the last line fit with the internet? Is it so that when you log onto lush that nothing is true and everything is permitted(given that the mods don't whoop your arse if they see you break the rules)?

Edit: to clafiry; are people honest? When someone puts a picture how can we tell it's really them? How do you know I'm not a girl? And do we break rules on the internet that we wouldn't really break IRL? Are we more prone to legal offences and shrug them off because we're online and not so easy to find?

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
VanGogh
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:11:09 PM

elitfromnorth wrote:

how very true, as I have lately found out.

A Milf series combined with Office Sex *fans face* .... The Secretary and The Student
starting withThe Secretary and The Student - first part with a Famous Story - over 40,000 views! woohoo!

Enjoy!!

For the Anal Lovers .... come enjoy my RR honoured and Famous story An Alluring Ass - over 30,000 views! woohoo!

Another Sex in the Office Poem (I know you love those!!) In Your Office with over 11,000 views! woohoo!

LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:36:21 PM

Quote:

My question is, how well does the last line fit with the internet? Is it so that when you log onto lush that nothing is true and everything is permitted?

I guess the short, glib answer would be "if you want it to be."

Those fixated on locking down absolute truths get frustrated easily on the internet, wondering who is who behind these avatars. To be fair, some of the many frustrated are people who have been burned by deception, and so their way of dealing with the online world is more guarded as a result.

Are you really a guy, am I really a girl? Is that member really a former college athlete, is that one really a mainstream author trying erotica out in anonymity? We don't know, and we never will, short of actually meeting that person.

I've learned over my time online that being reasonably sure about actual identities is important to some people. Honestly, it's less important to me. The truth as far as I'm concerned rests solely on a person's body of work here with me: their stories, their conversations, their opinions. Those things represent truth within the space that I share with them. If I were to find out that a certain person were a total fraud and they made up all those things as an intentionally fictional construct, I'd conclude the following:

a) they have an astounding combination of imagination and free-time and
b) I pity whatever their 'real life' consists of, that they choose to go invent a new one, with shade, color, and texture, from whole cloth.

Does it hurt me that they did so? Probably not, though it still leaves a sour and sad taste to imagine it.

Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:24:16 PM

Along the same lines as lady, it's what you present, and if you look before you leap then even better. Others have touched on this repeatedly on Lush, and my thought is always, well, how real are the people you meet in real life. How do you approach that interaction? Through time, talk, and gut feeling.
nicola
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:26:49 PM

eviotis wrote:
Along the same lines as lady, it's what you present, and if you look before you leap then even better. Others have touched on this repeatedly on Lush, and my thought is always, well, how real are the people you meet in real life. How do you approach that interaction? Through time, talk, and gut feeling.

Great answer Sally!
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:30:54 PM

Thanks Brutus. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a nail appointment.
1curiouscat
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:37:26 PM

A very intelligent broad once told me that what you get from online connections really depend on how much you invest and how open you let yourself be. What I understood is that the reality we perceive here is what we create from all the information we are provided. This virtual reality means one thing to me... while it can mean something completely different to you. Just like outside this matrix. Eviotis makes a great point - what makes this reality any different from any other reality we create for ourselves?

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Warlock
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:43:28 PM

LadyX wrote:

I guess the short, glib answer would be "if you want it to be."

Those fixated on locking down absolute truths get frustrated easily on the internet, wondering who is who behind these avatars. To be fair, some of the many frustrated are people who have been burned by deception, and so their way of dealing with the online world is more guarded as a result.

Are you really a guy, am I really a girl? Is that member really a former college athlete, is that one really a mainstream author trying erotica out in anonymity? We don't know, and we never will, short of actually meeting that person.

I've learned over my time online that being reasonably sure about actual identities is important to some people. Honestly, it's less important to me. The truth as far as I'm concerned rests solely on a person's body of work here with me: their stories, their conversations, their opinions. Those things represent truth within the space that I share with them. If I were to find out that a certain person were a total fraud and they made up all those things as an intentionally fictional construct, I'd conclude the following:

a) they have an astounding combination of imagination and free-time and
b) I pity whatever their 'real life' consists of, that they choose to go invent a new one, with shade, color, and texture, from whole cloth.

Does it hurt me that they did so? Probably not, though it still leaves a sour and sad taste to imagine it.

As always you are able to brush aside the crowd noise and see the real issue of internet socialization.. it is what it is.. good stuff X..

Insofar as should there be a concern about being flamboozled by pretenders.. I skip around reading profiles and I see members who have only been on Lush for one day and they already have 48 friends.. I see members who only have the Lush issued red avatar and no bio written.. and they have 65 friends.. then I look around at other members who have 372 or more friends on their list.. ummmm.. I think that the odds are pretty good that somewhere in that gaggle of avatars are a few marbles who are more than a little out of round.. in any event.. over time and a great deal of trust we all eventually ferret out the fluff and are able to find a few people we relate to on a higher plane and consider them friends..