Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Is America a Deadbeat Country? Options · View
ArtMan
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:38:21 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/29/2011
Posts: 664
Location: South Florida, United States
What a small minded and ignorant question!




You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

Rembacher
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:20:12 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,107
nazhinaz wrote:
IT DID NOT INDULGE INTO A WAR BEYOND ITS BORDERS FOR OVER TWO CENTURIES,


Which two centuries was that? I can think of maybe one century between thr war of 1812 and the first world war, but even that I think was interrupted by the Boer war.
1curiouscat
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:12:08 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 4/25/2011
Posts: 1,144
Location: São Paulo , Brazil
I think every country needs to re-evaluate their goals and aspirations... we are in moment similar to beginning of the last century... we are going through a new kind of Economic / social revolution. Its going to be a bumpy road for the next 10-15 years world wide i think ... but we will get through it.



Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:34:29 AM

Rank: The Linebacker
Moderator

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 8,227
Location: Atlanta, United States
Jebru wrote:
nazhinaz wrote:
IT DID NOT INDULGE INTO A WAR BEYOND ITS BORDERS FOR OVER TWO CENTURIES,


Which two centuries was that? I can think of maybe one century between thr war of 1812 and the first world war, but even that I think was interrupted by the Boer war.


The Boer War was Great Britain vs. the Boers of South Africa. It had nothing to do with the USA.

Between the war of 1812 and WWI, the USA had the War with Mexico, The War Between the States (some call it the Civil War), several wars with the native Americans, and of course the Spanish-American War against Spain.

(The native Americans got a very raw deal!!!!) Hey I do have Cherokee blood along with my English/Scots-Irish ancestry). But my heritage has been 100% American since the mid-1600s.

If you have any other questions involving US History, please fell free to ask me.

Rembacher
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:49:59 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 10/16/2008
Posts: 1,107
Buz wrote:
Jebru wrote:
nazhinaz wrote:
IT DID NOT INDULGE INTO A WAR BEYOND ITS BORDERS FOR OVER TWO CENTURIES,


Which two centuries was that? I can think of maybe one century between thr war of 1812 and the first world war, but even that I think was interrupted by the Boer war.


The Boer War was Great Britain vs. the Boers of South Africa. It had nothing to do with the USA.

Between the war of 1812 and WWI, the USA had the War with Mexico, The War Between the States (some call it the Civil War), several wars with the native Americans, and of course the Spanish-American War against Spain.

(The native Americans got a very raw deal!!!!) Hey I do have Cherokee blood along with my English/Scots-Irish ancestry). But my heritage has been 100% American since the mid-1600s.

If you have any other questions involving US History, please fell free to ask me.


I've read that there were American volunteers in the Boer war, while the country itself was technically neutral on that war, so that was a grey area for me. Do you know which two centuries Nazhinaz was referring to?
LadyX
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:31:12 AM

Rank: Artistic Tart
Moderator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,804
nazhinaz wrote:
May I add that what made USA the greatest powerhouse on earth was
IT DID NOT INDULGE INTO A WAR BEYOND ITS BORDERS FOR OVER TWO CENTURIES, and
DEMOCRACY.
We need to pull back to the direction set by the founding fathers of this great country.


The US became it's own nation in 1776. World War I, fought completely overseas, began in 1914. That's only 138 years.

Even so, are you defining 'just warfare' as war that only occurs within your own borders? I know you have issues with recent wars, most of us do, but I can't relate to the point of view that anything that happens outside of your own country's borders is, by definition, not grounds for conflict. But, perhaps you're a pacifist.

Also, a word on the 'founding fathers':

Whenever people bring up 'the founding fathers', they seem to imply that this group of people stood lock-step and all agreed completely about everything, and had a unified vision for what the USA should aspire to.

Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, at the time, the ideological divides among these men were not that different from those that we have today. When you read about it, it's sort of amazing that the country held together in those early days, really. Everyone had different motives. I think it's time to stop romanticizing about the origins of America, and recognize that our lawmakers have always been divided in their ideas about what's best for the country.
Buz
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:38:47 AM

Rank: The Linebacker
Moderator

Joined: 3/2/2011
Posts: 8,227
Location: Atlanta, United States
Lady X is very correct about the American Founding Fathers. There were many issues that they had heated disagreements on. If they had settled a few more of those there would have been no War Between the States to end states rights, promote a stronger federal government, empower industrial manufacturing over agriculture and put and end to slavery.

The interesting story of the two men who played the biggest part in writing The Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, both who ended up helping to found and lead two opposing political parties and did not speak to one another for years. Later they did make up and both died on the same day, the 50th Anniversary of July 4th.

In those early years an American Vice President shot and killed an American Secretary of the Treasury in a duel. Aaron Burr shot and killed Alexander Hamilton. (The story of those two men would make a great movie.) Just don't let Mel Gibson make it, the way he destroyed and distorted actual history with Braveheart or The Patriot (which combines the exploits of 3 men into one.) I hate to see Hollywood destroy history!

nazhinaz
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:48:46 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/16/2010
Posts: 294
Location: Longview, United States
Ladyx and Buz;
What I said was war beyond its borders, I hardly considered Mexian war as something beyond borders.
After all Mexico is part of Americas. However I accept that you are right.
Important is that our direction has been on gearing up of the war machinery, war industry and focusing all or almost all research primarily for the war industry.
As I did mention, out of this huge total of $14 Trillions (as informed by Jebru) USA added $ 4 Trillions in the last decade due to the wars of Iraq & Afghanistan.
I am not a pacifist Ladyx but a pragmatist.
We should first and foremost bother about this country and leave Libya, Yemen, Afghanistan and scores of Afro-Asian countries, where we poke our nose in the name of helping democracy, to sulk in their nomadic, tribal or feudal economic formations.
We should care to pull the country back and invest more on education, health, infrastructural planning, environmentally friendly industrialization and life style
which is bound to create millions upon millions of new jobs, focus on research of genetical curing and such innoative domains which can put the country back in lead for the 21st century.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 10:11:53 AM

Rank: Constant Gardener

Joined: 9/30/2009
Posts: 10,531
Location: Cakeland, United States
Terd_Ferguson wrote:

Ronald Regan understood that to fuel the economy and get us out of the hell that Jimmy Carter (a heavy tax and spend Democrat) got us into we needed to lower the tax rate which put more money in the pockets of every American. That "extra" money was spent. There is loads of empirical data that will tell you that raising taxes has the opposite effect. It slows the economy, it kills jobs and the government brings in less revenue. Lower taxes will fuel the economy and the government rakes in more revenue. Regan got it and Obama never will.


Once upon a time Republicans thought that budget deficits were bad, that it was immoral to live for the present and pass the debt onto our children. Until the 1970s they were consistent in opposing both expansions of spending and tax cuts that were not financed with tax increases or spending cuts.

Republicans also thought that deficits had a cost over and above the spending that they financed and that it was possible for this cost to be so high that tax increases were justified if spending could not be cut.

myself wrote:
I agree 100%

During Reaganomics we were prosperous, we were helping the children in our country and around the world, we down sized government, we were exploring space and we won the Cold War. God damn- what the hell! Reagan single handily brought the Soviet Union down. He broke them financially in war and space and crushed that 'empire'.

edit- and i believe the world is better because of him -


Your man Ronnie (and his band of borrow & spenders) hurried us along to what we see today, here.

Starving The Beast - The tactics and strategies of the Reagan Revolution and all GOP policies after 1980.

The large tax cuts promoted by the right-wing are intentionally designed to force government to cut back severely on social spending. All while increasing borrowed deficit defense spending. What's a trillion here for 350 new 6th Generation Raptor F22s, a couple trillion to fight wars in Iraq, another trillion for Afghanistan, billions a year to every 'ally nation' around the planet (so they can purchase US made weaponry)?

We can survive if we just cut all our social safety net programs in America and LET Americans invest their social security in Wall Street casinos.

Excellent policy implementation by the GOP. They should be proud of their 32 year legacy. Especially that of War Profiteering.



Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
CharlotteRusse1
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 8:55:31 PM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 1/9/2011
Posts: 240
Location: United States
It's all relative. As a percentage of GDP the U.S. debt is not bad compared to most of Europe. We are still getting very a very low interest rate from our creditors world wide so obviously they think we are going to repay the money we've borrowed. Any talk of default is way premature and rather paranoid.

If some goofy Conservatives don't do anything stupid like cut taxes again (that has never worked to reduce debt despite the voodoo economics) and we stay on the path of very, very slowly crawling out of recession then the debt will stabilize and eventually get smaller.

Writer of amateur erotica since 2011..See the latest at:

[url=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-chaise-lounge.aspx]
JessicaX
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 11:36:15 PM

Rank: Story Verifier
Moderator

Joined: 6/6/2011
Posts: 737
Location: Minneapolis, United States
We are in trouble, but there are solutions all around us if we ever become serious and stop calling each other names and hating anyone who doesn't believe and act the same as "me". Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling: "I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.
This will require a constitutional change and that can be done simply if we stop acting the way we do and start pulling together as the greatest generation did.
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971 - before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc. Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) year or less to become the law of the land - all because of public pressure.
The question is can we work together as one. I doubt it. E Pluribus Unum? Not anymore, we are way to selfish and hateful. Deadbeat country? More like dead country walking.
Watch for the venom and hatred leveled against this comment by those that follow...



AAmber
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 11:58:14 PM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 4/28/2012
Posts: 1
Location: United States
I hope you are wrong about being attacked for what you wrote Jessica, I guess we will see. I think you left off another big reason why we won't be able to fix our problems. So many of us are just to damn stupid to see what is going on. Almost half of us think Romney is a good Christian American and Obama is an African Muslim. The fact that Romney is Mormon and Obama is a Christian American doesn't change their believes one bit. Our only hope is that they will fall off the edge of our flat earth.
MontanaMike
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 12:07:45 AM

Rank: Rookie Scribe

Joined: 6/6/2011
Posts: 5
Sounds like the last two ladies here are the biggest part of our problem. USA! USA! USA! USA!
Guest
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 7:51:34 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,403
JessicaX wrote:
We are in trouble, but there are solutions all around us if we ever become serious and stop calling each other names and hating anyone who doesn't believe and act the same as "me". Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling: "I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.
This will require a constitutional change and that can be done simply if we stop acting the way we do and start pulling together as the greatest generation did.
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971 - before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc. Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) year or less to become the law of the land - all because of public pressure.
The question is can we work together as one. I doubt it. E Pluribus Unum? Not anymore, we are way to selfish and hateful. Deadbeat country? More like dead country walking.
Watch for the venom and hatred leveled against this comment by those that follow...


Maybe we should have elected Warren president. I like him.
ArtMan
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:07:31 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/29/2011
Posts: 664
Location: South Florida, United States
Obviously Warren Buffet has fooled the uneducated ignorant masses into thinking he is a great philanthropist rather than the greedy pig that he is.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

Guest
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 2:30:47 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,403
ArtMan wrote:
Obviously Warren Buffet has fooled the uneducated ignorant masses into thinking he is a great philanthropist rather than the greedy pig that he is.


Kiss ass Artman.
ArtMan
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:53:00 AM

Rank: Forum Guru

Joined: 6/29/2011
Posts: 664
Location: South Florida, United States
My post was worded crudely and was not meant as a response to ChefKathleen.

I do feel that Warren Buffet gets the most public relations mileage out of his philanthropy as possible.

If he wants to walk the walk more then why does he hire the best Ivy League tax attorneys that money can buy and take advantage of every tax break supplied by congress brought about by the lobbyists that represent Buffet and his friends?

He could try and do some charitable works not followed up by a press release from his publicist sometime.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

Guest
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:54:39 AM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,403
I thought he was supposed to be giving away like 90% of his wealth or something?
Guest
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:22:59 PM

Rank: Lurker

Joined: 12/1/2006
Posts: 700,403
No, America is not a deadbeat country. It could have been a super power country but I think it lost it. China is the new world super-power.
LadyX
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 3:09:39 PM

Rank: Artistic Tart
Moderator

Joined: 9/25/2009
Posts: 4,804
ArtMan wrote:
My post was worded crudely and was not meant as a response to ChefKathleen.

I do feel that Warren Buffet gets the most public relations mileage out of his philanthropy as possible.

If he wants to walk the walk more then why does he hire the best Ivy League tax attorneys that money can buy and take advantage of every tax break supplied by congress brought about by the lobbyists that represent Buffet and his friends?

He could try and do some charitable works not followed up by a press release from his publicist sometime.


I agree that those who broadcast their philanthropy through every available media outlet should be due slightly less credit than those who do it quietly or even anonymously.

I don't, however, understand why he should be knocked for making sure he doesn't pay more than he should in taxes. He's not arguing that he should pay more individually*, he's saying that the tax code should be revised in order to obligate the wealthiest Americans to owe more in taxes. If that came to pass, I'm sure he'd keep those same attorneys around to make sure he didn't pay more than he was obligated to pay within the higher tax bracket. I don't really understand how this is a problem.






*memo to all who say "well if he wants to pay more in taxes he should just write a bigger check to the government": the US Treasury is not a charity, nor should it operate like one. He's advocating for tax code changes, not making a personal statement of guilt that he's not paying his fair share.
Users browsing this topic
Guest 


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.6 (NET v4.0) - 11/14/2007
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.