Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How long does it take you to write a poem? Options · View
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 12:11:08 PM

After seeing the "How long does it take you to write a story?" topic, I decided to ask how long it takes you to write a poem. It generally takes me no more than 15 minutes to write a poem of maybe a couple of verses, but I've never really written anything bigger than that. For me poetry is a quick way to deal with my emotions then and there without refining them too much. I like it raw, whereas I like my stories to be somewhat polished. So how long does it take you lovely poets to write a poem?
easy_rider75
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 12:15:30 PM

Depends for me. Sometimes I can do them in a couple of minutes but like one I had started took me close to a year before I got to finish it just depends on what inspires me to write

“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.”~Frank Sinatra~
Shylass
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 12:46:10 PM

Good question! Normally, I'm the same as you. Only one took me two sittings to do, and that's because I went out to do some "research" halfway through (I went to feed the squirrels in the park during autumn).

I either get intense emotion and I blurt it all out as a cathartic exercise, or I get an idea and think, I'll write about that. It doesn't take very long. But then, I'm very impatient with myself and just like to get it finished.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
sprite
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 12:47:48 PM

a lifetime.

Live, love, laugh.
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 12:58:14 PM

It takes me a few minutes to write a poem.
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 1:01:44 PM

Just turned 25 and never been able to write one yet, so longer than 25 years
avrgblkgrl
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 1:02:24 PM

There are times when a thought just pops up and the words flow. Then like that, there is a poem. It's perfect and beautiful. It only took a few minutes. Those are the ones that seem to be the best ones for me. Then again, I get an idea and work on it...work on it... And, it never sees the light of day.

Give it a read💋

Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 1:03:42 PM

I think the longest it's taken is maybe half an hour? Usually a few minutes...
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 1:10:08 PM

Shylass wrote:
Good question! Normally, I'm the same as you. Only one took me two sittings to do, and that's because I went out to do some "research" halfway through (I went to feed the squirrels in the park during autumn).

I either get intense emotion and I blurt it all out as a cathartic exercise, or I get an idea and think, I'll write about that. It doesn't take very long. But then, I'm very impatient with myself and just like to get it finished.

You just helped me remember a word that had been on the tip of my tongue for ages: "cathartic", thank you. Man that feels so good! Almost poetic, in fact.
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 12:00:33 PM

Well...it's weird because a poem can come to me and I'll write it instantly.
Then there are those poems/songs that take inspiration and those take some time.
ByronLord
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 6:09:41 PM

I used to write them during a meal to recite at the end. Most of those were 8 verses or more.

I have written three in two days but there is one that has taken me 25 years I am only getting round to finish. And that is only 4 verses.

What I usually do is to write three or four verses and then stop and think about how to twist it. In 'to all the crap lovers I have cuckolded' the first draft had the speaker sounding too much like they were just boastful. I didn't like that, I wanted anger. So I waited a day then reworked the middle to add in the 'bloody fool' piece.

So its not the time writing, its the time rewriting.

The next one I did began as just an attack piece berating a guy for having a small dick. Which was funny and I could probably have kept that up for 12 verses. But It becomes monotonal. So when I came back and thought about what the mistress was saying I decided I could show that she actually had a very different complaint.

naughtiestmommy
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 7:18:44 PM

I am "feast or famine" when it comes to writing, whether it be poems or stories. Once I get going, it sometimes feels as if my brain shuts down and my fingers are doing all the work.

Ordinarily, it takes me about ten to fifteen minutes, and another five or ten to proof and edit.

I'm a loner, Dottie. A Rebel...

ArtMan
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 7:50:02 PM

three to five years.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

Milik_the_Red
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:31:13 AM

My poems seem to write themselves. It usually starts with just the first line appearing in my head. Half the time I don't even know where it's going.

I have to be inspired by something though. I can't just sit down and say, hey lets just bang this thing out.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/mallory-monroe-birth-of-a-streetwalker.aspx
Graham_X
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 11:30:50 AM

Hm, I've just got into writing poetry and tend to look at various forms and think I'll have a go. I think, for me, it's the discipline of working to a particular rhyme or meter rather than a medium for expressing my emotions. In that sense I do sit down and think "let's just bang this thing out." Having said that I often find the rhyming challenges on the forums quite useful.

Sometimes something will just emerge quite quickly and other times it takes some work.

Just put a new story up called Venus: My Mistress In Leather and Lace. It seems a long time since I have written any prose, been seduced by prosody. Anyway, please feel free to check it out - Thank you xxx
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:09:57 PM

a whole life time is less for writing a poem
CumGirl
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 1:59:43 PM

For me it depends on the poetic form as well as the inspiration ... Haiku are fairly instantaneous, 8/6 syllable rhyming couplets seem to flow quite naturally so usually no more than a couple of hours, but more complicated forms such as Sonnets often take me 24 hours and undergo as many edits and re-writes as I would give a prose story.

Recently I tried to write something in the same format as Dante's Divine Comedy which has a hendecasyllabic (11 syllables per line) rhythm and is composed of a tercet rhyme scheme (aba, bcb, cdc) ... which ended up being two of the most painful and pointless hours of my entire life x

Yes, you should have a hazard label on you, "warning CG will be your every fantasy"

Graham_X
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 2:36:04 PM

CumGirl wrote:
Recently I tried to write something in the same format as Dante's Divine Comedy which has a hendecasyllabic (11 syllables per line) rhythm and is composed of a tercet rhyme scheme (aba, bcb, cdc) ... which ended up being two of the most painful and pointless hours of my entire life x

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a go at unusual poetic forms. Like you I sometimes feel like I have wasted my time. Brick wall

Just put a new story up called Venus: My Mistress In Leather and Lace. It seems a long time since I have written any prose, been seduced by prosody. Anyway, please feel free to check it out - Thank you xxx
adagio_sabadicus
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:36:28 PM

Usually about 15 minutes, but many I have to admit or below my own level of what I call par.