Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Woman claims she can't get a job because she is overweight. Options · View
Swollen
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 1:46:41 AM

I just read an artlicle about a woman who claims her weight is stopping her getting a job. Having worked in recruitment for the best part of 20 years, I do agree that appearance and personal presentation create a very important impression to a potential employer. Some would say that it's not just about being overweight, and argue that this shows lack of self control and discipline, core skills that are invariably required in most work environments.

Do you think an employer is justified in turning down a candidate based on their appearance?

http://www.lipstickalley.com/f50/160-interviews-but-not-one-job-offer-woman-says-she-cant-get-job-because-she-fat-393005/

Any views ?

coffee

Buz
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 6:29:25 AM

Mostly being fat is a personal choice. It may be lack of self control about eating or disliking exercise but unless it is a medical condition such as a thyroid problem, then it is their own choice to be overweight.

I do think an employer has the right not to hire someone over their being obese.

Appearance and grooming is often very important for certain jobs.

mercianknight
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 9:37:32 AM

Simple answer - YES.

Unfortunately, life is never simple. coffee

"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 10:20:59 AM

I read the article - I think the issue might have a lot to do with her lack of self-esteem after her weight gain.

She says:

Moms at the park don't talk to her and that "If I had been my old confident size 14 self I would have chatted to them" but instead she slinks away.
She claims people in shops and restaurants ignore her, that her husband probably doesn't feel the same way about her.

All this translates into how you come across in an interview - if she's self-conscious and feels bad about herself and pre-assumes they are noticing her weight and will reject her for it, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Yes, certain jobs favour a certain "look" because it represents the company, but think about how she's coming across in the interviews - obvious insecurities can kill an interview fast, no matter what you look like.

lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 10:37:16 AM

Dancing_Doll wrote:
I read the article - I think the issue might have a lot to do with her lack of self-esteem after her weight gain.

She says:

Moms at the park don't talk to her and that "If I had been my old confident size 14 self I would have chatted to them" but instead she slinks away.
She claims people in shops and restaurants ignore her, that her husband probably doesn't feel the same way about her.

All this translates into how you come across in an interview - if she's self-conscious and feels bad about herself and pre-assumes they are noticing her weight and will reject her for it, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Yes, certain jobs favour a certain "look" because it represents the company, but think about how she's coming across in the interviews - obvious insecurities can kill an interview fast, no matter what you look like.

I was thinking the same thing. She's assuming she's not being hired because she's overweight. Maybe she's right, but maybe not. And it's jsut as offensive that she says she was interviewed by a "slender, pretty girl". If she doesn't want to be judged on her appearance, why is it even necessary to point out the appearance of the interviewer?

She wasn't "barely even asked her name". I'm sure her name was on her resume'. Why ask a question if you already know the answer.

Likewise with her skills and experience. All that is on the resume' which is what got her the interview in the first place. The questions asked in most interviews are to judge how a person reacts. How they solve problems.

Many many people have trouble landing a job. It's an epidemic problem right now. She's one of the many that's having trouble landing somewhere but she's trying to blame it on the fact that she's overweight. Maybe she's right. In fact, she probably is to some degree. But mostly it could be her attitude and lack of self confidence.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Dirty_D
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 2:43:54 PM

Ive hired/turned down people based on their appearance many times. Yes some health issues can contribute to being overweight, and i wont judge the extra 20 or even 40 pounds over but if you are morbidly obese then there are aspects of the job that you wont be able to do. I work in a very physical job and I want people who are able/willing to do the job!
charmbrights
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 2:49:21 AM

naughtynurse wrote:
... if you are morbidly obese then there are aspects of the job that you wont be able to do. ...
Yes. I wouldn't hire a fat boy to clean my chimney. He might get stuck.

News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) on charmbrights.webs.com/novels.htm.
nazhinaz
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 5:34:18 AM

Performane is linked with health and ability to commit to a job.
Obesity obviously is health issue and does affect performance, may it be men or women.
Hiring surely adjudicates selection of candidatess who can perform a job and obesity did hinder.
I believe this does help people to reduce and control their eating habits so as to be employed.
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:44:31 AM

My three best friends are all fat, around the same size as the woman in the photo. The thing they all have in common is their dynamic personalities. Two have excellent careers, the other is less ambitious, but content. They all exude confidence.

Perhaps the woman in the interview is unknowingly conveying her lack of self esteem. She seems to know the answer to her dilemma, find her inner strength, loose a bit of weight, get the confidence back. Easy to say, but that's life today.

I do think in today's society, we overlook a weight problem in a man more so than we might do for a woman. Women can be their own worst enemy at times.
sunshinehigh
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 11:46:39 AM

Like many of the others I don't think that it has much to do with her weight and more of her personal struggle with the weight..

Seems to me if your are size 0,12,or 50 if you exude confidece then most people won't even remember your size.
Michael
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 12:01:00 PM

I don't think anyone reading this article about her will offer her a position either.

Bunny12
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:07:52 AM

I think her lack of being hired for a job has little to do with her weight and much more to do with her attitude which is clearly one of a self defeatist victim. She needs to loose her mind set much more than any excess weight. I can see not hiring someone that is morbidly obese due to health concerns but she's just chubby with a bad attitude! I think she will not find a job anytime soon until she has a personality make over.

Bunny12

Bunny Rabbits cute and fuzzy they want to love you but they have razor sharp teeth - don't piss them off!
elitfromnorth
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:29:18 AM

Buz wrote:
Mostly being fat is a personal choice. It may be lack of self control about eating or disliking exercise but unless it is a medical condition such as a thyroid problem, then it is their own choice to be overweight.

A truth with modifications. If you've been overweight for a long time then the body considers that current weight to be it's normal weight, so if you stay 50 lbs overweight for too long then your body starts believing it should stay that way no matter what, hence losing weight becomes a lot more difficult. No, not impossible, but not everyone has the means to go to a gym. I have a cousin who have been on countless diets and excercise programs and they've had little effect. Yes, extreme obisety can be handled, we've all seen the biggest loser, but how many have the possibility to take time off from work and go to a top modern gym, have personal trainers, nutrition experts looking at every meal and constant monotoring by doctors? Some people simply doesn't have the time to go on the more extreme diets simply because they need to go to work and take care of their kids.

And when it comes to her weight being an issue I think the only way it can be an issue is a long term medical issue. Overweight people are at a bigger risk of becoming sick and may end up being gone from work, which means the employer have to hire in a short term replacement or have to push the workload over on the rest of the staff, which may cause them to be stressed and so forth. I have serious doubts that it's because they think "She's fat ergo she's lazy".

And as others pointed out, it could be that she lacks self esteem. If she seemed shy and closed up then she's less likely to be picked for the job than someone who is more open.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
winky
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:06:13 PM

if she doesnt think she can get a job cus shes fat.. then she should lose the weight.
Magical_felix
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:54:15 PM

winky wrote:
if she doesnt think she can get a job cus shes fat.. then she should lose the weight.

Holy shit...

tashitasha
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 9:18:33 AM

Such discrimination exists but in her case, I feel that it is mainly due to her own attitude about herself. She has not been able to accept the fact that she is fat and in her mind itself, fat = ugly. She misses her old size and when she looks at herself, she's already convinced that she is not beautiful. This is affecting her self confidence and it will definitely reflect on her interviews. You may be highly qualified but if you lack confidence in yourself,it will reflect on your personality. You're showing a great sign of weakness.

While it is not easy for her and she's constantly discouraging herself, she has to be patient and learn to accept herself and stop comparing herself to what she looked like years ago. Appearance is an important criteria of course but you can manage to look good by dressing appropriately for your size.

I believe that she's also hoping to lose her excess weight very fast. It is easier to gain weight than actually lose it and requires determination but she has to be conscious that it will not be easy and it will happen gradually. If she learns to accept herself as she is NOW instead of comparing herself to what she looked like in the past, she's definitely going to feel more confident and being positive will also boost her moral.

Explore the dark side of a relationship between a naive woman and a ruthless man https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/addiction.aspx

My Entry for the competition: The Mystery of The Abandoned Manor

Can Crystal resist handsome, married Gary? Find out here: A Night of Forbidden Passion

A professional thief, a seductive woman who knows how to use all her assets to get what she wants, when she wants it: A Flawless Plan

Selynar
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 6:53:50 PM

"No one can see how much I have to offer; all they can see is that I don’t fit the sharp-suited, slick City career woman stereotype."

That's directly from the post. Lets assume her attitude is fine. As this career coach she mentioned seems to agree with. Now I know the post never mention her city, but from the sounds of it, her job is pretty intense, if not cutthroat. "sharp-suited, slick City career woman" If that's what I needed I wouldn't hire her either. Because what's the first thing anyone sticks to anyone that is obese. Lazy.

She gained over 80lbs... I get the eating thing. But 80lbs... That's a lot of wait to put on, and it shows. But again the employers first thought will almost always be, (s)he is lazy.
MissyLuvsYa
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:34:28 PM

It's her own fault! She should exercise and go on a diet and quit bitching. She did it to herself, no one else is responsible. Employers should not be held liable for her own problem. They should not be forced to hire an obese person if they do not want to. Obesity is a CHOICE! The result of that choice can be corrected!
beowulf69
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:23:00 PM

This is a fact: if you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight.

My first story for Lush is posted, The Goodbye Fuck.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/the-goodbye-fuck.aspx
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:30:15 PM

charmbrights wrote:
Yes. I wouldn't hire a fat boy to clean my chimney. He might get stuck.

Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 7:43:37 AM

I have been heavy since 15. I will agree sometimes attitude has a lot to do with how she feels. I have been there done that. But in some ways I take the other side too. A lot of adults and people in general look down on heavy people without knowing maybe it's more than not watching what they eat. It can be genetic also.
curiousguy669
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:03:08 AM

Everything else aside, if she was the most qualified applicant and was not hired because of her weight, that is discrimination. There is not enough information to know for sure. Sadly discrimination of many types is still prevalent in 2012. As for the commenters that actually said overweight = lazy, go look in the mirror and see the new poster child for ignorance.
pb69
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:55:20 AM

countrygirl58 wrote:
I have been heavy since 15. I will agree sometimes attitude has a lot to do with how she feels. I have been there done that. But in some ways I take the other side too. A lot of adults and people in general look down on heavy people without knowing maybe it's more than not watching what they eat. It can be genetic also.

It can also be hormonal. I dated a woman was diagnosed with Grave's Disease, which is a potentially deadly overactive thyroid. The solution is to cut out a lot of the thyroid or to irradiate the thyroid with radioactive iodine. After she was irradiated, she gained 50 pounds in 6 months without making any lifestyle changes (still as active as she had been before and still eating the same amount). The difference was that overactive thyroid works like amphetamines and her body used to quickly burn off the calories she used to consume. After the radiation only 5% of the thyroid was working and then she had to drastically reduce her caloric intake. Unfortunately for her, her doctor didn't warn her about that so she gained a lot of weight very quickly.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 11:39:38 AM

MissyLuvsYa wrote:
It's her own fault! She should exercise and go on a diet and quit bitching. She did it to herself, no one else is responsible. Employers should not be held liable for her own problem. They should not be forced to hire an obese person if they do not want to. Obesity is a CHOICE! The result of that choice can be corrected!

Now now, Missy... she may have been birthed by C-Section, which has been proven to cause obesity. If so, it's not her fault at all. I'm referring to another one of your recent posts - just say'n.

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
joebackagain
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 1:01:03 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

Holy shit...

+1 :D
Ruthie
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:57:48 PM

She's had 160 job interviews. I have to believe that there's something keeping people from hiring her other than her weight. I'd like to see if she does any better after she loses weight.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:49:38 PM

CoopsRuthie wrote:
She's had 160 job interviews. I have to believe that there's something keeping people from hiring her other than her weight. I'd like to see if she does any better after she loses weight.

You're probably on to something... ;)

If ya can't beat 'em... pay someone to do it for you.
BigShyPussyKins
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 6:07:06 AM

Weight shouldn't come into play if she is good at doing her job. I'm overweight and weighed a lot more when I got my job 10 years ago but then again our company doesn't seep to discriminate as they taking people with tattoos, tongue piercings and lip piericings etc as it should be thse days.
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2012 11:53:46 AM

People are always screaming about their rights. Problem is, they don't want to accept that others also have rights.

It's her right to eat and get fat. It's an employer's right to hire someone of his or her choosing. Hiring her can definitely be a liability. For one, insurance costs could go up dramatically due to the risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. They may lose clients because of it. Like it or not, people are attracted to attractive people and most people do not fine obesity particularly appealing. There is also the risk of losing productivity. Obese people generally are slower and miss more work days than skinnier people. Still, the bottom line is that an employer should be able to hire who they want. If they want to hire a receptionist because they are pretty, that is their choice.
ramrod32784
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2012 8:31:49 AM

In business appearance is a given and a company is judged on what employees performance and appearances are