Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

"Pink slime" sent to school cafeterias. 7million pounds of awfulness. Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 7:07:00 AM

Pink slime destined for National School Lunch Program

McDonald's and Taco Bell have banned it, but now the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) is buying 7 million pounds of beef containing ammonium hydroxide-treated ground connective tissue and meat scraps and serving it up to America's school kids. If you thought cafeteria food was gross before….

According to TheDaily.com, the term "pink slime" was coined by microbiologist Gerald Zirnstein, formerly of the USDA Food Safety Inspection Service. He first saw it being mixed into burger meat when he was touring a Beef Products Inc (BPI) facility in 2002 after an outbreak of salmonella. "Scientists in D.C. were pressured to approve this stuff with minimal safety approval," Zirnstein told The Daily.

"Pink slime," which is officially called "Lean Beef Trimmings," is banned for human consumption in the United Kingdom. It is commonly used in dog and chicken food. Celebrity chef and safe food advocate Jamie Oliver featured the substance and called for its ban on the April 12, 2011 episode of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, which may have influenced McDonald's to stop using beef patties containing the filler.

Reportedly, Zirnstein and his colleague Carl Custer studied the substance and classified it as a "high risk product." Custer, who worked at the Food Safety Inspection service for 35 years, says, "We looked at the product and we objected to it because it used connective tissues instead of muscle. It was simply not nutritionally equivalent [to ground beef]. My main objection was that it was not meat."

Another issue is the ammonium hydroxide, a chemical that is used to kill pathogens such as E. coli. The FDA considers it safe for human consumption but a 2009 expose by the New York Times questioned its safety and efficacy. Some food advocates are asking for meat containing "pink slime" to be labeled. It's used in about 70% of ground beef in the US. "We don't know which districts are receiving what meat, and this meat isn't labeled to show pink slime. They don't have to under federal law," Bettina Siegal, a writer and mother of two who created TheLunchTray.com told NBC. Siegel has started a petition to demand the USDA stop using the product in the National School Lunch Program.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 9:33:31 AM

Good thing I´m no longer in school.

This is absolutley absurd!!!!!!

The unfortunate thing is that this will not even get any attention due to the all of the other noise blocking radio, tv, internet waves the last couple of days...

Ridiculous!

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
AngelHeart01
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 7:34:44 PM

1curiouscat wrote:
Good thing I´m no longer in school.

This is absolutley absurd!!!!!!

The unfortunate thing is that this will not even get any attention due to the all of the other noise blocking radio, tv, internet waves the last couple of days...

Ridiculous!

This has gotten attention. It's been in the News, Articles and Radio.
Ruthie
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 7:53:55 PM

I read today that up to 70% of the ground beef in supermarkets has pink slime in it. Yuck.
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 7:59:35 PM

It's kinda like our leaders, all filler, no meat. No wonder it's so acceptable to them.
beowulf69
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 9:43:38 PM

That's nasty. How is that shit allowed by the FDA?

My first story for Lush is posted, The Goodbye Fuck.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/the-goodbye-fuck.aspx
1curiouscat
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:08:26 AM

AngelHeart01 wrote:

This has gotten attention. It's been in the News, Articles and Radio.

Not nearly as much as Kony

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
vesta
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012 5:47:11 AM

You need to have an American type Jamie Oliver. He did great things for our school dinners. The regulations here have now changed and are really tight. Our children have healthy, tasty, school dinners, and they have a good choice to choose from too.
Unfortunately he didn’t seem to make a good impression when he tried to do his magic in the States.
Dirty_D
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:45:44 AM

One man is not an island. Everything we do has consequences.

pink slime jobs

Buz
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:50:39 AM

It turns out that 'pink slime' is actually beef processed to remove a lot of the fat and other stuff and is actually the high protein lean beef material added back in to the meat. But it does look gross once it has been processed that way. So actually this isn't a big deal.

What is bad is the processed chicken nuggets they serve in schools. Those things contain all kinds of 'edible' material other than the actual quality white or dark meat of the chicken. NASTY!

Dirty_D
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:57:49 AM

Very true. I thought I'd share this to maybe show that there are other sides then just the 'ewww pink slime' side. We can cause very unintended side effects when we hurry to ban/change things without look at all the different sides!(just look what happened after the ban on equine slaughter!)

Q-Ball711
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:48:59 AM

Buz wrote:
It turns out that 'pink slime' is actually beef processed to remove a lot of the fat and other stuff and is actually the high protein lean beef material added back in to the meat. But it does look gross once it has been processed that way. So actually this isn't a big deal.

What is bad is the processed chicken nuggets they serve in schools. Those things contain all kinds of 'edible' material other than the actual quality white or dark meat of the chicken. NASTY!

agreed and those chicken nuggets have bones blend in with the meat.
WellMadeMale
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:33:33 AM

naughtynurse wrote:
Very true. I thought I'd share this to maybe show that there are other sides then just the 'ewww pink slime' side. We can cause very unintended side effects when we hurry to ban/change things without look at all the different sides!(just look what happened after the ban on equine slaughter!)

Naughty - or Buz... Have either of you ever toured, visited or worked inside a beef, chicken or hog - slaughter & processing factory?

Until you have or until you have seen how the 'waste products' are actually disposed of...Perhaps you should think what the corporate producers are doing with that stuff which you wouldn't consume, even if this was 270,000 years B.C. and you had killed the animal yourself out on the plains or savannah.

Fine leanly textured beef products. MmmHmm. That's a bit like saying - Forget about that black crud on the animals harvested from the Gulf of Mexico. It's all safe for human consumption! Stupid people shouldn't eat!

Some things are true (like this video) - but a lot of things are bullshit and you cannot believe everything the meat producing industry feeds you.

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:42:31 AM

Pink Slime is all the toxic parts of the animal ground up then sterilized by being soaked in amonia. The children in public doctrination State run schools are fed crap worse than prisoners and the very animals they are eating. It is poison and it is cheap!

Pink Slime Jamie Oliver Food Revolution
The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America

If he dies, he dies! - Ivan Drago (Rocky)
LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:46:07 AM

Workers were laid off because people began to object to being served ammonia-doused beef waste, thus lowering it's 'demand'? Heartbreaking.

It's never good to have to lose a job, so on a personal level for those people and families, of course it sucks. But preservation of jobs is not justification for industry practices (legal or not), especially things as critical to society-at-large as food and the environment. Besides, this is the result of the free market's reaction, in addition to what many would consider multiple experts' opinions. For once, the government is not behind a corporation's perceived victim status.
1curiouscat
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:32:11 AM

Dirty_D
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:08:41 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:

Naughty - or Buz... Have either of you ever toured, visited or worked inside a beef, chicken or hog - slaughter & processing factory?

Until you have or until you have seen how the 'waste products' are actually disposed of...Perhaps you should think what the corporate producers are doing with that stuff which you wouldn't consume, even if this was 270,000 years B.C. and you had killed the animal yourself out on the plains or savannah.

Fine leanly textured beef products. MmmHmm. That's a bit like saying - Forget about that black crud on the animals harvested from the Gulf of Mexico. It's all safe for human consumption! Stupid people shouldn't eat!

Some things are true (like this video) - but a lot of things are bullshit and you cannot believe everything the meat producing industry feeds you.

I grew up raising beef, sheep, & horses. I have delivered & been present when our cows were slaughtered. I am in NO way saying that the pink slime is ideal. In my internet reading today I found this article and thought it was another side to the story, and that as I stated there are far reaching ripples as a result of one action. I have also read that another side effect of the ban on pink slime will be to raise beef prices. I am certain in our market based society someone will ultimately utilize this product(dog food perhaps, although beef is not actually very good for dogs)

LadyX wrote:
Besides, this is the result of the free market's reaction, in addition to what many would consider multiple experts' opinions. For once, the government is not behind a corporation's perceived victim status.

so true, & I strongly believe in a free market.