Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Are you a soccer fan? Options · View
1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 9:55:41 AM

Sensei wrote:
I think you have to question a sport where a game lasts 90 minutes and fairly regularly ends in a 0-0 tie.

The passion for the game is above everything else. the experience of a football is only avaible live. Watching the game on tv is like smelling a fresh apple pie without being able to eat it. you know its good and it smells awsome, but ... something is missing.

It starts witht the drive to game, the beers outside the stadium, the fans all walking to the stadium, the food, the chants... the drums, the noise... then you walk into the cathedral... what a feeling!

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
LadyX
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:00:11 AM

1curiouscat wrote:

He´s right... that is what the game is all about.

You can really only see this when you go to a live stadium match so you can see it from above.

Ya, I'm sure you're right about that. Luckily, I can go watch FC Dallas play, where literally dozens of people congregate to watch soccer! evil4
1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:01:39 AM

laughing9

Hey you have the oportunity to go watch a great match on sunday... dont miss it.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
LadyX
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:04:00 AM

1curiouscat wrote:
laughing9

Hey you have the oportunity to go watch a great match on sunday... dont miss it.

I actually bought my boyfriend tickets to that. Unfortunately, I won't be going. He'll be with somebody way more into it than me, and I won't have to stand on my feet or suffer a plastic chair for three hours.
Naughty_Magician
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:07:20 AM

The thing with vuvuzelas is that they are part of South African culture, I don't think Brazilians would want to have to do anything with them. Furthermore, FIFA won't allow them this time around (or I at least hope they have learned their mistake). Listening to them is equivalent to being killed softly.

Someone said that football (or soccer if you prefer that) is boring since a lot of games end up in a 0-0 scoreline. I strongly disagree with that. Just as it is the job of the offensive players to create or score goals, defensive players are supposed to quell the attacking threat. So, a 0-0 scoreline means that both departments (attacking and defensive) of both teams are evenly matched. A well timed goal saving tackle or a brilliant save by the goalie is sometimes quite fun to watch.

International football can be boring because there is too much at stake so most teams have to be conservative. Moreover, players are not as much used to playing with their international colleagues as they are with their club colleagues so that can influence the fluency of the game.

Football is interesting to watch when teams play a quick one touch passing game as they do in this video. Watch the goalie at the end, now THAT is passion.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh2dx6_bar21g49_travel?start=37

Had a dream I was king, I woke up still king!!
1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:08:21 AM

LadyX wrote:

I actually bought my boyfriend tickets to that. Unfortunately, I won't be going. He'll be with somebody way more into it than me, and I won't have to stand on my feet or suffer a plastic chair for three hours.

That is just too bad... its going to be a great time... two good teams.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Nikki703
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:15:30 AM

sprite wrote:

and yet, baseball is the national past time, a sport that lasts 3 hours, often ends in a 1-0 score, and pretty much is made up of two guys throwing the ball back and forth - soccer is WAY more exciting then that. :)

I like to watch the World Cup games but overall I think Soccer is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Maybe if they if they played naked!! Some of the guys are very HOT!!
Naughty_Magician
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:18:45 AM

Nikki703 wrote:

I like to watch the World Cup games but overall I think Soccer is about as exciting as watching paint dry. Maybe if they if they played naked!! Some of the guys are very HOT!!

Well, I won't be watching it then!!

sprite
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:42:40 AM

Nikki703 wrote:

actually, if you watch the games naked, they're very good too :)

Live, love, laugh.
1curiouscat
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:52:25 AM

Naughty_Magician wrote:

International football can be boring because there is too much at stake so most teams have to be conservative. Moreover, players are not as much used to playing with their international colleagues as they are with their club colleagues so that can influence the fluency of the game.

Football is interesting to watch when teams play a quick one touch passing game as they do in this video. Watch the goalie at the end, now THAT is passion.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh2dx6_bar21g49_travel?start=37

Completely agree.

Wether on television or live at the stadium nothing generates as much passion. Felix mentioned this before, no other game has a continuous clock like football does. This allows for the game to be in constant tension.

I have memories of being young and watching the 94 final here in Brasil -- what a memorie. There were about 40 people in my friends house watching that final between Brasil and Italy - when Roberto Baggio put that PK over the bar, there was a moment of silence (you could hear a pin drop) and then everyone exploded in one of the most joyous moments i have ever experienced...

Football is not just a sport, Football is a way of life!

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Sensei
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 10:53:59 AM

sprite wrote:

and yet, baseball is the national past time, a sport that lasts 3 hours, often ends in a 1-0 score, and pretty much is made up of two guys throwing the ball back and forth - soccer is WAY more exciting then that. :)

Additional examples don't disprove the first. :)

But if you want boring, nothing holds a candle to golf.

Poker used to be the most awful spectator sports, but when the added hole-card cameras, that changed 180 degrees.

But I digress.

My novel, The Society, is available now in the Kindle Store: http://www.amazon.com/The-Society-ebook/dp/B00BPF9U2I
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 11:16:59 AM

Nope
Magical_felix
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 2:10:20 PM

Nikki703 wrote:

I'd body paint you and watch it dry all day... Shoot... Then help wash it off at night in a very thorough fashion...

latinfoxy
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 2:32:57 PM

Te Amo Vinotinto!!! What a game Venezuela vs Uruguay 1 - 1 on our way to the first time on the WC!!!!!
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:22:53 PM

I once went with a girlfriend because her boyfriend dumped her after she had bought tickets for his birthday. Anyway we sat for over 2 hours in the freezing cold watching men!! kicking a bag of wind about. I cannot remember the score thats how interesting it was.
elitfromnorth
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 6:46:50 PM

Watching it live at the stadium it's what you make it out to be. If you've decided already that you can't be bothered to be a bit interested in it then it's gonna be boring as hell no matter what you do, whether it's football, sissy rugby(american football) or tennis.

Fun things to do at a football match if the game isn't all that exciting

1. Listen to the insults. The chants and songs at footballmatches is where I've learned some of my best insults, and also I learned how to insult people in a more singing matter.
2. Get out some aggression. Usually you can start giving the referee abuse when he makes a decision you don't totally agree with(i.e. it's against your team/whatever team you're sitting amongst). Standing up and screaming "The referee's a wanker" or any similar abuse is totally accepted. Try to charge all your hatred for one person(like an ex) into the chant.
3. Get drunk. Although most stadiums doesn't allow alcohol into the stands, they usually sell it inside. Go in, get drunk.

I'm sure you guys can come up with other things to do as well.

But other than that, football is a fucking awesome sport, especially at the stadiums. My advice if you're going to see one is get tickets with the away supporters. They're usually the hard core of the supporters and are more lively than the big bunch of home supporters(a few exceptions apply) But whatever you do, don't go to a football match in Norway.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
Sensei
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 7:28:12 PM

Nikki703 wrote:

Maybe if they if they played naked!! Some of the guys are very HOT!!

Don't they wear cups though?

My novel, The Society, is available now in the Kindle Store: http://www.amazon.com/The-Society-ebook/dp/B00BPF9U2I
Guille
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 8:34:26 PM

♪ ♫
Vamos, vamos Argentina
vamos vamos a ganar
que esta banda quilombera
no te deja no te deja de alentar
♬ ♩
♪ ♫
El equipo está en la cancha
el partido ya empezó
el estadio se estremece
♬ ♩

cada vez que la Argentina hace un GOOOOOL

Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 8:47:22 PM

Trust me to see a simple question and make it far more complex than it has to be. I like a good kickabout with mates when the mood takes me, but on the whole I'm not a soccer fan. It's not the game itself that I don't like but the crowd because they are so damned loud. I used to go over to my Gran's every Saturday and sometimes the local football club would be playing. I used to like watching them play because there was a distinct lack of hooliganistic cheering and whooping going on. I think if there was far less bawling going on that more people might enjoy it more, but I do understand how they could get excited. It's easy to get excited over something that you are passionate about. That's the complex answer, the simple one is no but I do enjoy kicking a ball about with mates.
Naughty_Magician
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 8:59:11 PM

If you don't fancy the football, how about this?

1curiouscat
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2012 8:42:35 PM

Mhaile
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 1:20:18 AM

Soccer is the beautiful game. It's like making love. Watching a man (or woman) with great skill and finesse in the midst of passionate play. That's why I watch. : )) Bring on Euro.
Guille
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 3:58:03 PM

LauraLee_sugah
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2012 9:17:50 PM

in a word... absolutely

1curiouscat
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:42:20 AM

Guille wrote:

Messi

Guille - I´ve seen you spam this place with baby blue and white colors for a while now... doesnt sit too well with me LOL

Saturady it´s on... I doubt messi will be able to repeat his last performace - I predict 2-1 for Brazil!

One goal from Neymar and the other from Hulk.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:06:25 AM

1curiouscat wrote:

Guille - I´ve seen you spam this place with baby blue and white colors for a while now... doesnt sit too well with me LOL

Saturady it´s on... I doubt messi will be able to repeat his last performace - I predict 2-1 for Brazil!

One goal from Neymar and the other from Hulk.

After seeing them play this weekend, I don't know man. I'm predicting 1-1. Although I know Brazil "anda bravo" right now after a loss but after seeing the way they played (the style) I think it's going to be hard for them to deal with the short pass barrage that Argentina will do.

Maybe it's just me, this brazil team is good, don't get me wrong but did it seem to you like they were playing more like England than Brazil? I got that feeling as I was watching.

1curiouscat
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:26:01 PM

Magical_felix wrote:

After seeing them play this weekend, I don't know man. I'm predicting 1-1. Although I know Brazil "anda bravo" right now after a loss but after seeing the way they played (the style) I think it's going to be hard for them to deal with the short pass barrage that Argentina will do.

Maybe it's just me, this brazil team is good, don't get me wrong but did it seem to you like they were playing more like England than Brazil? I got that feeling as I was watching.

They went into the Mexico game wearing high heels and got pimp slapped. They focused the game onto the left wing and wanted Neymar to do everything - well he was heavily marked by the mexican players and did not produce. Overall it was really poor strategy by the coach. If the team looses this weekend he will most likely be fired - at least its what the media is saying.

My opinion is this - the players are very green still. This is Brasilian´s Olimpic team. All but three players are under the age of 23 (exception is Marcelo, Thiago Silva, and Hulk--I think). The game against Mexico had an improvised strategy that resulted in long kicks and lack of passing (ie England style). This has been a major problem for Brasil over the last few years, if the defending team is able to match up to the predetermined strategic plan, our players dont have the experience/capacity to think themselves out of it. Mexico´s strategy was to defend first and that confused our team.

Against the USA - they had a much greater flow to the game, mainly because the USAMNT was focused in attacking rather then defending. So there were a lot of spaces for our players to play into - result = 4 goals.

Now, againsts Argentina it is still unknonw what they will do. Anytime Brazil plays Argentina the level of play is different and the strategy even more so. I predict that it will be a trumped game in the middle of the pitch. Lots of fouls and yellow cards. A pretty ugly game probably. Both teams will defend first. Neither want to loose. 1-1 is a more realistic score - i give you that. However, I have to be optimistic so, 2-1.

Overwhelming Reality

From Across the Room
Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:12:21 PM

A lot of those players may be under 23 but some/most of them are good enough for the senior team and their payroll for their clubs is probably greater than most senior teams as well. Mexico wasn't full strength either. Was a great friendly between giants of their continents and I think Mexico was lucky on the first goal and lucky that the ref didn't call a penalty against. Switching over momentum to a team like brazil while they are only one goal down will result in brazil evening up or winning. That said, teams still need to make their own luck.

I understand what the brazilians were thinking. It's Mexico, one of the worst teams at defending in the air. The problem was that they were going for the air down the middle. Even on corner kicks they elected to play out instead of going for the header. Really confusing against Mexico since that is their major weakness. At least they are testing it out now. The Olympic gold is the one prize Brazil hasn't attained yet right? When everyone uses the olympic teams, they might just dominate.

Also, Mexico wasn't just defending. What they did so effectively was double team the right guy every time suffocating Brazils attack. I mean, the frustration on Neymar and Marcelo's face could let you know how much the reduced space was affecting them. The real key to victory was that Mexico kept playing the ball out if the defense calmly to kill Brazils momentum and put the ball on Brazils half for extended periods. The teams that clear the ball out of their half and let brazil attack and attack are the ones that stand no chance.

I'm looking forward to the next game... To be honest, I want them to spank Argentina. Hopefully they remember that their strength is creativity in the midfield and teamwork up ahead with that constant threat of a superstar individual play at any time. To me that is what sets Brazil apart. You can kill every strategy they have but before you couldn't stop Romario, Bebeto, Ronaldo from releasing a wonder play at any moment. This brazil team seems to lack that. When before that had 8 players on the pitch that could dribble past 3 defenders and score now they don't. Neymar can, but like you say, he and some of the others are green still.

Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:15:21 PM

Euro is almost here. Pretty excited. Hopefully they can match the magic this song created after a goal was scored. If it was the first goal, a goal to tie or a goal to win, this song blasting as soon as the ball touched the net was just awesome.

Edit. It's just like the first 15 seconds or so of the song that they played.

winky
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:36:27 PM

i like soccer players...
they are hot