Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you have any non erotic literary influences? Options · View
Kimasa
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 1:18:14 PM

One of my favourite novels is "The Magus" by John Fowles. His novel takes you on a journey of deceit, lies, twists, and subplots. In the second half of the story each chapter is designed to lead you into believing you’ve got it all worked out, then you get a slap in the face in the next chapter as the story takes you somewhere else.

I will never be a John Fowles but the way he structures his plot has had a major influence on the story I am currently submitting in chapters.

Who has influenced your plot structure, style of writing and why?

My latest story:

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-school-reunion.aspx
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:42:53 PM

Just about everyday living affects and influences my writing. At the moment I'm finding that Vladimir Nabokov is influencing my writing, I really like the word structure and general timbre of his writings. I've always been influenced by the classics, things by Edgar Allan Poe and H.P. Lovecraft have always fascinated me with their almost dry, matter-of-fact way of writing. I think that perhaps my old English teacher has had the most effect on my writing, that woman is really talented and she just gave me so much inspiration and hope that I could one day be as good as her at manipulating the English language. Of course another big influence has bee Stephen King, but I'll never be like him, he's just got this way of being able to go from the funny stuff right to the jaw clenching horror and back again and it all just feels so natural and I love the way he can get away with killing his main character and making you think that something is coming but whacking you in the face with a giant and mostly wicked twist. I could rant about my influences all night, but I fear that I'd bore people, so I'll stop right now.
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:01:02 PM

I dont have much influences from other writers eventho i read a lot from fiction and non fiction. When i write, its a continuous, natural and personal thing with my own style. Its like sex therapy 675-lick My everyday activities and desires are my influences, especially for erotica evil4 I can say the people i desire in real life or in my mind (fictional made up characters) do play a role in my erotic writing, including celebrity crushes love8
tashitasha
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:34:17 PM

At the moment it's Mary Higgins Clark who has a small influence on the current story I'm writing. I've been addicted to her books which involve mysteries.

Explore the dark side of a relationship between a naive woman and a ruthless man https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/addiction.aspx

My Entry for the competition: The Mystery of The Abandoned Manor

Can Crystal resist handsome, married Gary? Find out here: A Night of Forbidden Passion

A professional thief, a seductive woman who knows how to use all her assets to get what she wants, when she wants it: A Flawless Plan

Magical_felix
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:41:11 PM

Anyone can clearly see the Hemingway, Marukami, Dubus III influence in my work. Particularly in my One Thing Leads to Another series.

Buz
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:53:55 PM

For me I guess it's Jeff Foxworthy, You Might Be Redneck If..., either that or William Faulkner, Harper Lee, Byron Herbert Reece or Carson McCullers.
(I wish)

Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:57:52 PM

Iceberg Slim, Donald Goines, and Omar Tyree are my influences because I like the urban feel in their stories. It something that I can relate to...
Dancing_Doll
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:03:44 PM

LOL @ MF

I have a specific style that I use for erotica that I think works well for the genre, so if I had to pick an influential style it would be along the lines of writers like Jennifer Belle, Emily Giffin and Candace Bushnell. I purposely don't write 'high-brow erotica' because I like to create very explicit sex scenes and I feel like I can get the juices flowing with readers more so if I use a contemporary voice.

Most of my stories are like fun beach-reads with an entertaining plot, dialogue, and characters you can identify with on some level. And there's almost always a twist.

If people want to wax poetic and philosophize about the greater musings of life and the human condition, they should read a selection from the great literary canon. If they want to take a fun ride on the kinky side and jizz in their pants, then they should cum to me. clown

Sensei
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:27:03 PM

I think I have been influenced by Tom Clancy, of all people. I'd also throw out there Dr. John Grey - not as a literary influence, per se, but for giving me more insight into the female psyche.

My novel, The Society, is available now in the Kindle Store: http://www.amazon.com/The-Society-ebook/dp/B00BPF9U2I
sprite
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:51:04 PM

Roald Dahl, Hunter S Thompson, Dr Suess, and both Burroughs. :)

oh... Kafka too.

Live, love, laugh.
1ball
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:12:43 PM

I would either have to list the name of every author I've read (and that would be impossible) or just say that I don't intentionally emulate any one author or style.

My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:43:19 AM

Classics are my guilty pleasure... Shakespeare, Poe, Aristotle... the list goes on...
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:42:01 AM

sprite wrote:
Roald Dahl, Hunter S Thompson, Dr Suess, and both Burroughs. :)

oh... Kafka too.

Great choice with hunter s
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:56:37 AM

Ann Rice, LA Banks(R.I.P), and Omar Tyree.
sprite
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:27:04 AM

Stickytoffee01 wrote:

Great choice with hunter s

should read my snippet of my re-write of the Wizard of Oz over on the blue site - it's pure Hunter. :)

Live, love, laugh.
LadySharon
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:14:15 AM

Toni Morrison, Sister Soulja, Omar Tyree, E. Lynn Harris, and Stephen King are some of my non-erotic influences

The Roommates Trilogy:
Roommates with Benefits
Roommates with Benefits: Snowed In
Roommates with Benefits: The Working Vacation is now available for your reading pleasure

Latest poem, Longing, is out now!

College Sex:

New story now available!
TransitionalMan
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:20:27 AM

My influences outside of erotic-- most of them actually-- I wrote my first erotic story after reading Gene Wolfe's SF classic 'The Book of the New Sun'. Tolkien, Connie Willis, Bruce Catton, Ursula LeGuin are much bigger influences
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:36:15 PM

Hemingway, Cooper, Spillane, Puzo, Rice, Grisham, Patterson, Grafton, and Toni Morrison.
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 10:44:16 AM

I was thinking about this and wanted to give a more serious answer.

If I had to say what exactly has influenced my style of writing, if I were to chose non erotic influences, it would be movies. Especially movies written/directed by Michael Mann, Quentin Tarantino and David fincher. I will also add the work of Japanese directors like Takashi Miike and Takeshi Kitano. I like the feel, irony, pace, dark humor and tone these guys tell a story with. ALL of their characters are flawed for the most part and I think that makes for a more engaging story. Some of my more serious writing owes a lot to movies. I try to write a story as if it were a film playing in my head.

Movies only give you what you need to know and thats it. That's why I think movie structures work best for SHORT stories. Writing like a novelist won't help you write short stories, in my opinion. Movies are short stories but on the screen. Maybe that's why most movies from novels aren't as good as the book, just different types of story telling. Long form and short form.

SITTING
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2012 8:57:19 AM

I don't know if they 'influence' my writing but I take notes from all the greats. Including Roald Dahl :)

Stalker, ballet dancer, obsession...
_mal_
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:23:03 PM

Until now, I haven't had any. My only influence was from a life of writing for personal pleasure, the bit of writing workshops I did in grade school (I was one of those kids), and academic/essay writing I did in college.

However, my new non-erotic influence is Robert E. Howard. Y'know. The author of the Conan stories.

Damn. That man can write like a riot. I've read a lot of classic and contemporary novels. And that man can out-write most of them with one hand tied behind his back. The way he utilizes words is electrifying.

I want to be able to develop a knack for using words like he does. I do, somewhat, already. But I'd like to tweak it a little to get the desired effect that I'm looking for and Robert is a great inspiration while I improve my style.
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:46:57 PM

I'm sure I have lots, but I'm not sure how much the influence my erotic writing.

I have a lot of respect for many authors and writers throughout history (some of whom are listed on my profile), and many of those influence my writing style and voice, but my erotic voice is still developing. I guess it's mostly related to the rest of my writing, but not really to the external influences of those pieces, if that makes sense.
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2012 11:41:26 PM

I would certainly hope so!
scarlet
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2012 6:49:34 AM

I read a lot even things like newspapers seem to sparkle idea as far as the use of compelling language to get you interested. But mostly Terry Pratchett, Dan Brown, Richard Adams, Harper Lee. However the biggest influence writing wise is blogs.. about everyday things, I dont know why but it just makes my brain work.