Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you get enough Vitamin D? Probably not... Options · View
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 12:41:51 PM

With today's indoor lifestyles and regular use of sunscreen while outdoors, Vitamin D deficiency is at an all-time high.

Called the "sunshine vitamin" because our bodies naturally make it when our skin is exposed to direct sunlight, Vitamin D performs several vital functions. It aids in the absorption of calcium, helping to form and maintain strong bones, and research also suggests it may provide protection from osteoporosis, high blood pressure, cancer and several autoimmune diseases, as well as aiding in the prevention and treatment of depression. But more than a third of all women fail to get enough Vitamin D for healthy bones—and more than 75 percent lack the higher amounts needed for the vitamin to do its disease-fighting best. Vitamin D deficiency isn't a women-only issue, either.

The rate of Vitamin D deficiency is even greater at northern latitudes, especially in the winter, when it is all but impossible to get adequate sun exposure to absorb sufficient amounts of the vitamin. Other factors contributing to the growing problem of Vitamin D deficiency are our indoor lifestyles (sun exposure must be direct, not through a window) and sunscreen use, which blocks the UV rays necessary to make the vitamin.

Here are a few links to get you started on the Vitamin D path:

• Is vitamin D deficiency casting a cloud over your health?: http://www.womentowomen.com/healthynutrition/vitamind.aspx

• WebMD Feature - Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/are-you-getting-enough-vitamin-d

• Mayo Clinic Health Information: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d/NS_patient-vitamind

Maggie Rascal
SITTING
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 9:00:25 AM

My older sister has Vitamin D deficiency because she doesn't like the sun as she's got a LOT of freckles. I think they look nice though. :D

Stalker, ballet dancer, obsession...
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:45:11 PM

Thanks for sharing.

magnificent1rascal wrote:
With today's indoor lifestyles and regular use of sunscreen while outdoors, Vitamin D deficiency is at an all-time high.

Called the "sunshine vitamin" because our bodies naturally make it when our skin is exposed to direct sunlight, Vitamin D performs several vital functions. It aids in the absorption of calcium, helping to form and maintain strong bones, and research also suggests it may provide protection from osteoporosis, high blood pressure, cancer and several autoimmune diseases, as well as aiding in the prevention and treatment of depression. But more than a third of all women fail to get enough Vitamin D for healthy bones—and more than 75 percent lack the higher amounts needed for the vitamin to do its disease-fighting best. Vitamin D deficiency isn't a women-only issue, either.

The rate of Vitamin D deficiency is even greater at northern latitudes, especially in the winter, when it is all but impossible to get adequate sun exposure to absorb sufficient amounts of the vitamin. Other factors contributing to the growing problem of Vitamin D deficiency are our indoor lifestyles (sun exposure must be direct, not through a window) and sunscreen use, which blocks the UV rays necessary to make the vitamin.

Here are a few links to get you started on the Vitamin D path:

• Is vitamin D deficiency casting a cloud over your health?: http://www.womentowomen.com/healthynutrition/vitamind.aspx

• WebMD Feature - Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D?: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/are-you-getting-enough-vitamin-d

• Mayo Clinic Health Information: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d/NS_patient-vitamind

jerseylynn
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 8:24:37 PM

My trainer says Vitamin D and adding Calcium doesn't hurt either add with that a multi vitamin but make sure it's in a powder form in a gel cap, your body will absorbs it 10x quicker and make sure there is a A.M and P.M. pill. The compressed vitamins by the time your body breaks it down you pee out the rest. Oooo don't forget Fish Oil either..These 3 should be a must have!!!

No one can make you jealous, angry, vengeful, or greedy -unless you let him.
- Napoleon Hill
Lottie
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 8:29:46 PM

I take a supplement (not the same as natural sunlight I know) but it does help my moods
keoloke
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 3:47:24 PM

Vitamin D is essential to ward off serious illness. My understanding is that anyway between 10 (southern hemisphere) to 30min (northern) of full body exposure is necessary daily. As a precaution I have started to supplement it with a good quality Vitamin D3.

Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:17:34 PM

yup, I add lots of vitamin d, in the winter months, less in the summer, if it's sunny
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 11:16:16 PM

im actually vitamin D defficient and my doctor put me on suppliments but it didnt seem to help