Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Why is Friday 13th considered unlucky? Options · View
nicola
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 4:36:29 PM

It's all Hokus pokus says I!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th

Curious2c
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 8:02:05 PM

I'm sure it has roots somewhere in Judeo-Christianity...some way. While I wonder the basis for it, I also wonder why 'unlucky' would be associated with Fridays? (Other than the Christ reference)
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:14:35 PM

It's based on actual events, it's when the Knights Templar were ambushed and surprised and slaughtered with only a couple of the organization escaping. It all happened on a Friday the 13th so that's where it's now considered unlucky. Would have to look up the exact year but that's where it stems from
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:05:15 PM

It's quite lucky for me. I was born on Friday 13th.
LauraLee_sugah
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 8:38:57 PM

i have always had wonderful things happen to me on friday the 13th... so i always look forward to it...

DLizze
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:48:45 PM

Jellyfish wrote:
It's based on actual events, it's when the Knights Templar were ambushed and surprised and slaughtered with only a couple of the organization escaping. It all happened on a Friday the 13th so that's where it's now considered unlucky. Would have to look up the exact year but that's where it stems from

I want to say that was in 1156, under Baldwin III, while returning from a raid to rescue a guy whose name begins with B, but I may be mis-remembering. I took that history course back in 1970, and am a bit rusty on many of the facts and dates.

"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Ruthie
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:32:59 PM

DLizze wrote:

I want to say that was in 1156, under Baldwin III, while returning from a raid to rescue a guy whose name begins with B, but I may be mis-remembering. I took that history course back in 1970, and am a bit rusty on many of the facts and dates.

It was October 13, 1307, a Friday, when the Knights Templer were arrested and accused of various heresies such as not believing in Christ, spitting on the cross, and worshiping Satan. It was mostly done because Phillip IV of France owed them money I believe. It's usually about money, isn't it?
saracenrider
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 8:15:33 AM

CoopsRuthie wrote:

It was October 13, 1307, a Friday, when the Knights Templer were arrested and accused of various heresies such as not believing in Christ, spitting on the cross, and worshiping Satan. It was mostly done because Phillip IV of France owed them money I believe. It's usually about money, isn't it?

It was also done with the blessing of pope Clement V. Although Philip owed much money it was also believed that the Knights Templar had considerable funds and were in possession of a secret that they were holding over the pope.
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:47:21 PM

I've always heard it was because Christ was killed on a Friday. The 13 comes from Jesus and his 12 apostles. Judas being the 13th.

The following is provided by Wikipedia (not exactly reliable, but seems better than speculation)

One theory states that it is a modern amalgamation of two older superstitions: that thirteen is an unlucky number and that Friday is an unlucky day.

In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve hours of the clock, twelve gods of Olympus, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve Apostles of Jesus, the 12 successors of Muhammad in Shia Islam, twelve signs of the Zodiac, etc., whereas the number thirteen was considered irregular, transgressing this completeness. There is also a superstition, thought by some to derive from the Last Supper or a Norse myth, that having thirteen people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners.

Friday has been considered an unlucky day at least since the 14th century's The Canterbury Tales,[5] and many other professions have regarded Friday as an unlucky day to undertake journeys or begin new projects.

One author, noting that references are all but nonexistent before 1907 but frequently seen thereafter, has argued that its popularity derives from the publication that year of Thomas W. Lawson's popular novel Friday, the Thirteenth,[6] in which an unscrupulous broker takes advantage of the superstition to create a Wall Street panic on a Friday the 13th.[1]

Records of the superstition are rarely found before the 20th century, when it became extremely common. The connection between the Friday the 13th superstition and the Knights Templar was popularized in Dan Brown's 2003 novel The Da Vinci Code and in John J. Robinson's 1989 work Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry. On Friday, 13 October 1307, hundreds of the Knights Templar were arrested in France, an action apparently motivated financially and undertaken by the efficient royal bureaucracy to increase the prestige of the crown. Philip IV was the force behind this ruthless move, but it has also tarnished the historical reputation of Clement V. From the very day of Clement V's coronation, the king falsely charged the Templars with heresy, immorality and abuses, and the scruples of the Pope were compromised by a growing sense that the burgeoning French State might not wait for the Church, but would proceed independently. [7] However, experts agree that this is a relatively recent correlation, and most likely a modern-day invention.[5][8][9]
Moonflower
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:24:37 PM

I don't find it unlucky either.
VanGogh
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:14:36 PM

This last Friday the 13th (July) .... was a great day! I was offered a fabulous new position ... so no unlucky thoughts about Friday the 13th for me!

occasion9

A Milf series combined with Office Sex *fans face* .... The Secretary and The Student
starting withThe Secretary and The Student - first part with a Famous Story - over 30,000 views! woohoo!

Enjoy!!

For the Anal Lovers .... come enjoy my RR honoured An Alluring Ass

Another Sex in the Office Poem (I know you love those!!) In Your Office with over 10,000 views! woohoo!

ramrod32784
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 3:41:43 PM

The knights Templar story is correct.The number 13 is unluky cause in the Last Supper Judas was the 13th person also salt is spilled in front of him thats where the spilling of salt became bad luck
elitfromnorth
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 6:41:14 PM

saracenrider wrote:

It was also done with the blessing of pope Clement V. Although Philip owed much money it was also believed that the Knights Templar had considerable funds and were in possession of a secret that they were holding over the pope.

The whole "The templars had a mighty secret over the chatolic church" is pure and utter bullshit. That false knowledge is something we can thank the Da Vinci Code for, which is based wholely on a book(Holy Blood, Holy Grail) which is based on reading two scrolls that were forgeries, two scrolls that they never saw but they knew with certainty what was in them, and interviews with a man that only wanted people to believe he was a decendant from the old French kings. So basically it's only believed by those who don't know anything about the templars.

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
MotleyCrue101
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:10:25 AM

Nobody actually thinks of the slaughtering on friday the 13th. The only reason anybody has anything to say about it now-a-days is because of the Friday the 13th movies in the 80s. Everybody freaks out about Jason. I've lost a couple family members on friday the 13th, so its unlucky for me :/
thesilkyknot
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 8:13:40 PM

unpleasant historical events...people need to realize that ..these events had to happen on some date... friday the 13th ..or tuesday the 21st...

moreover ...what you sow is what you reap....no day or time can change the results of you did/ what you are doing..
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2012 8:37:12 PM

It's as un-lucky as we all make them
Alpha_Omega
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:17:37 PM

13 is a lucky number and when Friday the 13th comes around I play/win the daily lotteries evil4