Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

17 year old off lifeguard gets $2600 bill after saving drowning boy's life Options · View
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:28:35 AM

I'm not exactly sure why or how the the lifeguard is responsible for the medical bills. And I'm sure that somehow this will get resolved, but someone should have nipped this in the bud before it got to this point. We wonder why people these days are so reluctant to get involved. Typical for America to find someway to bilk or blame the do-gooder.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:10:23 PM

Capitalism at its finest, Mister. I'm surprised you're not thumping your chest and applauding the free market!

The nearly $2,600 billed to a 17-year-old lifeguard who rescued a drowning boy off the coast of Oregon is being paid by anonymous donors.

John Clark of Vancouver, Wash., a trained lifeguard jumped through the breakers and heavy swells to reach the boy in the ocean, reported KOIN-TV. Clark then calmed the boy and kept him afloat until watercraft arrived to take them to shore.

Clark and the 12-year-old boy were taken to the hospital, which Clark thought was standard procedure.

But a few weeks later he was billed for the hospital services.

The emergency room bill came to $449. The physician's bill was $227. The 15-mile ride in the ambulance was $1,907. The total bill for saving a young man's life was nearly $2,600.

Why ya gotta hate on America so much for, Mister? If you owned that amber lamps service, you'd want to be reimbursed for the excellent service your company provided (and make a little profit too) wouldn't you? evil4

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:12:27 PM

Well that doesn't explain shit. What did the kid that rescued the other one get a bill? And from who? The kids that's life was saved parents? Seriously? I'm afraid I'd have to shine the light on the cockroaches that sent that guy the bill.
lafayettemister
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:25:25 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:
Capitalism at its finest, Mister. I'm surprised you're not thumping your chest and applauding the free market!

The nearly $2,600 billed to a 17-year-old lifeguard who rescued a drowning boy off the coast of Oregon is being paid by anonymous donors.

John Clark of Vancouver, Wash., a trained lifeguard jumped through the breakers and heavy swells to reach the boy in the ocean, reported KOIN-TV. Clark then calmed the boy and kept him afloat until watercraft arrived to take them to shore.

Clark and the 12-year-old boy were taken to the hospital, which Clark thought was standard procedure.

But a few weeks later he was billed for the hospital services.

The emergency room bill came to $449. The physician's bill was $227. The 15-mile ride in the ambulance was $1,907. The total bill for saving a young man's life was nearly $2,600.

Why ya gotta hate on America so much for, Mister? If you owned that amber lamps service, you'd want to be reimbursed for the excellent service your company provided (and make a little profit too) wouldn't you? evil4

I don't think the hospital or ambulance should have to eat the bill. But it shouldn't be the responsbiility of the lifeguard who just went along for the ride. The article did say the lifeguard had a headache, if they treated him for that he should have to pay for the Tylenol. No one calls an ambulance for a headache.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
WellMadeMale
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 1:43:10 PM

Hey, if you climb into an ambulance for any duration - you better have damned good insurance or deep pockets. It's their job to ensure that you get in (even if they have to scare the bejesus out of you to get you inside) - and all you really need is to sit and catch your breath.

Been there, done that - got a $1700 bill myself which my employer refused to pay @ first, because they said I abandoned my job to do what I did, and I was off the clock (two hours before my shift was to end).

Corporation$ are out to fuck us all, man. Always have been. In$urance companies especially.

Obscenity is the last refuge of an inarticulate motherfucker.
ramrod32784
Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:02:40 PM

disgrace
elitfromnorth
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 10:52:32 AM

A prime example of the wonders of US health care. A friend of mine summed up America nicely once when he was pissed off at the hospital; "We help people that help themselves."

"It's at that point you realise Lady Luck is actually a hooker, and you're fresh out of cash."
adele
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2012 4:59:00 PM

I'm glad someone stepped up to cover the bill. He did go to the hospital, which was proper procedure. Either of them could have swallowed water which could have caused issues later. And the ambulance and hospital deserve to be paid, though I believe ambulances way overcharge. So a big HOORAY to the good Samaritan who stepped in and stepped up.
RobinMaxwell760
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:22:16 PM

I think the parents of the boy that was saved are on the hook for this, why weren't they watching their son? If you cause a traffic accident you are on the hook for all the subsequent damages incurred by all injured parties. The hospital and ambulance had to bill someone for services rendered but the boys parents should have stepped up to the plate with a very big "thank you for saving our kid, we'll take care of that". It's a good thing there were services for both of them after the rescue, hypothermia can kill. I hope there will be services like that for all of us if needed in the future but now the Gub'ments in charge of that so I don't think we have much chance anymore. Been to the post office or DMV lately?

RM

"I understand that 'Shit happens'! I don't under stand why I have to be under it when it does!!!"
RM
Kc69
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2012 10:17:08 PM

Apologies ...but the logic of this escapes me! A boy is taken to hospital after being saved and the saviour is billed? Trust that the drowning stats won't hit new record highs after this.
Although, at least there was an ambulance. Here in SA, ambulances have become a luxury, patients often having to wait an hour or more for a municiple one to eventually arrive. One may call one of the private ambulance services but the costs are exorbitant. But then again, our lifesavers aren't billed for saving lives so at least we are "one up" there - LOL
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2012 10:50:52 PM

Sooner or later you have to pay for every good deed.
FelineFantasy
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2012 11:38:16 PM

As much as I love California, things like this make me just want to catch the next flight to Canada.

Click > here < to read my first feature story, Techno Aphrodite by Piquet!
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:18:13 AM

was the lifeguard on duty? if so surely then the lifeguard should have been covered for ambulance and hospital treatment as part of his job?

Anything here that happens while on the job unless proved to be your fault due to negligence the employer has to pay, thats why they have workers insurance.

Ambulance cover here is $35 a year and boy is it worth it, brenda had a trip to hospital before we got her cover and we'll be paying it off for a year!
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:25:53 PM

I really hope the life guard could counter sue for wasting their time.