Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do kids these days expect more for nothing than we did as kids? Options · View
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:13:05 AM

i love and hate watching 'worlds strictest parents'........ is it just me or do kids these days expect more for less???? i got a record player in my room when i was 15, a tv at 16, mobile phone when i went to uni and didn't get a computer till i bought my own when i was 22 and working! i know kids that do nothing around the house, get their smokes, phone credit, metro fines, alcohol all bought for them! then we wonder why they want the latest technology, get addicted to drugs, smokes and alcohol oh and figure school is for nerds. Maybe our generation was the same and i was just a nerd and not in the popular, spoilt group?

if i had sworn at my parents i would have been given what for, a quick slap etc. I recall being told if i didn't eat what was cooked you dont eat but these days kids expect meals done around them.........

More to the point why if you have a family of 5 would you cook 3 different meals cos 2 kids are fussy? We adjust meals to suit the kids that are with us that night (we look after disabled kids) but we still do just one meal for us all.......

I dont often think 'thank god my kid is disabled' but shit i often think that when i see kids screaming cos they dont get the latest sneakers that cost $300, or the latest computer, mobile phone. My kid has struggles and her tantrums but i know its out of her control.

whinge over
ramrod32784
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:21:38 AM

We have lost respect for one another and for our self.We have become used to an entitlement society where you get what you want and not what you've earned
Smoothtalkin_wolf
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:32:49 AM

Oh hell yes. Its the new age of convenience. Instant messages. Texts. Can you imagine kids if the world went dark? Id giggle to death just watching them freak/meltdown.
keoloke
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:52:56 AM

I believe that we as kids or anyone at any given time always wanted a bit more. It's just that now there's more and we feel that they are asking for more. The fact is that our father and grandparents used to say the same thing.

Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Dani
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 11:03:11 AM

I understand where you're coming from. And sadly lots of parents confuse raising their kids with giving them everything they want. That's when they grow up to be spoiled/entitled and just in general can't make it on their own. Growing up, my parents never gave me anything I didn't deserve/earn. I've been earning my own money since I was in my early teens. Not because I HAD to. But because I WANTED to. My parents used incentives with me. If you want a cell phone, fine...pay half the bill. I didn't get my own car until I graduated. The first car I ever drove was my mother's...but I put the gas in it and paid for tune-ups and oil changes, etc. My parents could have afforded to give me anything I wanted, but they didn't right out GIVE me anything. Even if it was something so simple as doing extra chores or something, I never got anything for NOTHING. And I must admit, I didn't appreciate any of it right away. I had to work and such instead of waste time and my parents' money with my friends. But looking back, it goes without saying that I'm very grateful for all of it. I've never even cussed AROUND my parents, let alone AT them...even now that I'm an adult. And smoking and drinking? Yeah right! I never got rewarded for disrespecting my parents. They didn't reason with me. If I was wrong, there was no compromise. The punishment always fit the crime. I could beg and stomp my feet and roll my eyes all I wanted, but rules were rules. Sure there were those angsty years that everyone has, but eventually you grow out of it. But I digress...

Lots of parents get caught up in wanting to give their children the world and forget the sacrifices they themselves have made. Or they focus so much on wanting to give their kids everything they DIDN'T have and neglect to give them the things they DID. Like good old fashioned values. I've grown up with and lived in the same neighborhood as the selfish, spoiled, and entitled types. And I've always felt sorry for them because of their reliance on material "values". And even now, their parents have either cut them off (snatching the rug from under their feet) or continue to take care of them, which is more pathetic to me. And it's not something you can grow out of. Spoiled and entitled kids grow up to be the spoiled and entitled adults. And they get into amazing schools and get amazing jobs because of dad's money or mom's connections. And they get married and give birth and "raise" more spoiled and entitled kids. It's a cycle.

So yes, especially today, kids expect more for nothing. But it's not just today's kids. It's been happening for generations. It's easy to shake our fists and scrunch up our faces shouting "Kids these days!" But it had to start SOMEWHERE. No sense in bashing the kids because the parents are just as much to blame.

LadyX
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 11:19:47 AM

keoloke wrote:
I believe that we as kids or anyone at any given time always wanted a bit more. It's just that now there's more and we feel that they are asking for more. The fact is that our father and grandparents used to say the same thing.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure there's never been an era when adults stood around talking about how much better kids are "now" than when they were kids. It's reassuring to people to feel like they somehow represent something better than what came after, missing the irony that (as somebody wisely pointed out), "kids today" is a direct reflection of "parents and grandparents today."
littlemissbitch
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 11:28:05 AM

LadyX wrote:

Agreed. I'm pretty sure there's never been an era when adults stood around talking about how much better kids are "now" than when they were kids. It's reassuring to people to feel like they somehow represent something better than what came after, missing the irony that (as somebody wisely pointed out), "kids today" is a direct reflection of "parents and grandparents today."

yes, this :)

littlemissbitch ~ professional face ripper offer, at your service..
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:58:28 PM

Or on the other side of the tracks, I have a friend at work whose daughter is coming to the States to live for the first time from Cuba. Yup, a place where expectation is void. A young ladies dreams are set at about marriage, kids and that's about it.

Forget about the time, these kids as most adults in the US or any other progressed nation should think about living in a place where freedom, internet, social network are dwindled down to you, yourself, and your immediate surroundings. Ice Cream, a luxury. Yes, a luxury. Skin conditioner, micro waved popcorn, hot running water, clean drinking water, a choice not to be betrothed to unknown partners, and so on.

They thought my generation X of Seattle grunge and used cars were pissy little brats, man, this little crop is barking up a an evolutionary conceded self concentric circle. Stop being such whinny shits while complaining on your I-pad post to your face book page. Get over yourself.

Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:18:06 PM

What's the old saying don't complain about someone until you've walked a mile in his shoes? Or some such. Imagine if you plunked down a entitled little shit from middle America in the middle of Cuba? Or any of a dozen other countries I'm sure we could all name. What do you mean there's no cable tv? No internet? No indoor plumbing? Oh Come ON!! Really?!
I know not all of our kids in this country are that way. A lot are being raised with a work ethic and knowing the value of something that they've earned. Problem is that it seems there's more of the other kind out there.
ArtMan
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:53:41 PM

Unfortunately these new spoiled brats growing up are going to inherit a bankrupt government drowning in massive debt, an economic system in decline, and discover that their public education barely cracks the Top 30 in the world. If they don't make adjustments they will find themselves working in sweat shops making cheap shoes for the Chinese just to pay for their favorite Happy Meal.

You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 10:30:40 PM

Some people do not realize times have changed between each generations. There is always something kids want and "must have" whether it is a xbox or an electric football game. Expecting more for nothing really depends on the family.
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 11:12:09 PM

I think it's getting worse with each generation. I'm sure we as kids expected more that our parents did when they were young. In turn our kids want more than we did.

No doubt that our grandkids will want even more.

The frase 'Money doesn't grow on trees!' will be used for years to come.

Kimi X
rl535
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 12:27:54 AM

Hey hergirl, First off let me say "cute outfit"......and second "Damn right they do"...Lol....I was born in 69 and I think i was in the generation that thought "I'm not gonna raise my kids as strict as my parents".....and that was where the screw up began....I did not fear my mother or father, grandparents, aunts or uncles....I respected them.....and a little respect goes a long way.....but kids these days don't think we understand them......"why i got to do that?"....."By god when you get 18 you can do what you want till then it's my way or the highway", is what my ol'man told me and I beleived him......Hell, now a days a parent might tell a kid "one more time", 10 times and then the parent/parents end up leaving where their at or changing what they are doing because the kid has the authority......Whewwww, what a rant......sorry, but i have had a long year and a half, a bad 2 weeks and me and a buddy of mine got out on the Harley's today....Regaeman Man .....had a damn good time.......occasion5 ......then, when i logged on I saw this question go across the screen and had to reply....laterlol
lafayettemister
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 6:54:55 AM

Yes.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2012 10:19:19 PM

As a child, I ended up raising my mother. My father had split before I could walk, I consider it a miricle I made it out of diapers alive. By the time I was 9 I would do whatever work I could find. When I was 13 I worked as a waitress from the time I got out of school till closing 2-11 . So needless to say I didnt have anything special or expensive. The children of today have no concept of the worth of a dollar.
CrazyTexan
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 5:13:02 PM

Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:42:02 PM

I wonder when people start saying "kids these days"? I'm only 27 and just a couple of months ago I actually caught myself saying that very phrase, or something similar, so I wonder if it's just a generation gap thing. I was taught with the same values as my parents and their parents too. My gran on my mum's side was raised by her gran, so my mum was raised in a more old fashioned (think Victorian) sense, which made my mum not want to raise me the same way. In other words, she was more lenient, but strict when she needed to be, which never hurt me.

There was no such thing as a free ride when I was growing up, if you wanted something, you had to work for it and that's how I live my life.

And now we come to my brother who falls into the bracket of "kids these days". He's been raised more leniently than me but still doesn't expect a free ride. Sure, he's lazy at times, but we all are and he's hitting teenagehood, too, that does stuff to a person!

I think "kids these days" get a bad press, simply because people don't see how they think. Just because they have more technology than they could ever need, it doesn't make them spoiled or expect more for nothing, it just makes them modern. Think back to when you were young, you wanted all the latest trends, didn't you? Kids these days are no different, it just happens that trends are more expensive today than they were, even ten years ago.

As long as people are brought up with good stern values and are taught to uphold these values, I don't see any problem with being a little more lenient and friendly with your children. If you can't be friends with your children, who can you be friends with?

I'm sorry if I missed the point of this topic but I just thought it should be said.
AmericanBeauty
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:30:41 PM

some of these kids are way too to spoiled brats

Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:09:45 AM

I would say yes. There just seems to be this great sense of entitlement and self-satisfaction in the younger generations today.
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:12:43 PM

Depends on the parents, or the adults around them. I once took my then 5yr old niece shopping when I visited my sister's family. Before we left, we discussed & agreed on how much we'll spend, what she's allowed to buy, etc. At the toy store, she couldn't decide among 3 items so she wanted me to buy all of them for her. She picked up all 3 & proceeded to line up at the cashier's counter. When she saw that I didn't follow her, she shouted for me. I just mouthed a No, & motioned for her to come back to me. My sister, who was picking us up, arrived just then. Her daughter started whining, complaining to her mom that she wants those 3 toys but her "selfish" auntie refuses to pay. I still remember my jaw dropping when my sister actually lined up, consoled my niece by promising to buy all those darn toys for her, and then went on to apologize to the other customers in the line for disturbing them.

My older sister, who I look up to as one of the most reliable, pragmatic, responsible person who took care of us younger siblings when our father had to leave us for work turning into that pushover mom? It took me several minutes to recover from the shock, & I knew I was about to undermine her authority as the parent, but I stood my ground. I cut through the line of customers, pulled my niece to a corner, and reminded her of our prior agreement. No shouting, no raising my voice. Just thorough explaining of the agreement, pointedly ignoring my sister & my niece's sad puppy face, and lots of discussing about eaqch toy's features. Took some time, but my niece finally decided on the dancing fairy. We marched back into the end of the line, paid for her toy together, and played with it later that night. Heard no complains at all about the shopping issue.

Of course I confronted my sister about what happened after my niece went to bed. She said:she's embarrassed that people had to witness that, paying for the toys would stop the whining, & that she can now afford to give her daughter what she wants unlike us (us siblings) when we were kids. Note that she's more worried about what other people would think than her daughter's behavior. I countered that those people are not the ones who's raising the kid. They can shake their heads & stare at you that very moment, but the impression you're giving to your daughter will stay with her a lifetime. She'll stop whining until she sees the next toy she likes, and all she has to do is cry & pester you til you give in. True, giving in makes things easier, but how will that prepare her kid for tomorrow? Isn't she (my sister) just setting them up for trouble? More headache & heartache for my sister raising a spoiled brat, & her daughter growing up heavily dependent on them?

Those were the main points we argued on, and I'm sure a lot more are lost in translation (sorry, running out of english words), but parents really play that major role of shaping their kids' lives. Kids can grow up expecting everything to be given to them if the adults around them let them be that way. But then, since I'm not a parent, I might sing a different tune. Check back with me once I have a kid myself.