Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Smoking Bad, or Good? Options · View
maryteresa
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:55:33 PM

More than 50 years ago now, as a young Medical student I did a two-month hospital residency under a Thoraxic Surgeon who daily did cardiac surgery, opening up the chest cavity to gain access to the heart &c. This meant temporarily deflating the lungs.
Lungs of children were beautifully pink and perfect, whereas the lungs of old smoker patients were visibly mottled with black stains, puckered and deformed. On seeing this I resolved never to touch tobacco in any form....not that I had up till then.

Smoking stinks, of course and even following someone walking down the street smoking gives one the whiff of Death. My job is to operate on peoples' mouths and daily I come into very close proximity with habitual smokers. Needless to say the face mask I wear helps minimise the stink from their breaths, as their mouths are like the bottom of an ashtray.....and they have to live with it.

Detecting oral cancers directly caused by pipe smoking keeps one always vigilant. I have recently lost an esteemed and clever colleague, a life-long pipe smoker who in retirement failed to detect esrly changes in his own mouth, announced that he was having to have a 'Block Dissection' of his mouth, tongue & neck to deal with an oral cancer, but he only survived one year.

Few smokers retain their upper back teeth beyond the sge of 50, as the passage of hot gasses daily past the palate causes progressive degeneration and loss of the supporting bone there and the teeth loosen & give trouble.
As a young seriously competative rower one of our chosen eight one year suffered considerable distress after pieces of high-pressure training. It transpired that he was secretly smoking and he lost his place in the boat. Smoking produces carbon monoxide gas which is inhaled, and that is a known respiratory poison.

M.

Carpe Diem !.....Sieze the day !
Warlock
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:38:41 PM

WellMadeMale wrote:

The original question required a single word response: good or bad. I answered the OP's question with one word, then I noticed your expanded upon reply, to which I replied.

You claimed that it's invasive, thereby hinting at your environment being impinged or polluted - which I answered by mentioning your contributions to the pollution quagmire we all contribute to or benefit from. You also stated that all moronic smokers should be forced to smoke with a carton of cigarettes planted up their rectum, to which I replied about shoving your opinion up your self-righteous ass.

Now you reply with question marks designed to feign ignorance of what my comments toward you implied. lol We are delighted to learn that at age 63 (or however old you are) you've never done anything which other people might judge as borderline to flat out - insane.

You don't really follow arguments or retorts well, do you? Unless you were/are trolling.

My apologies for talking over your head, if you were not trolling. Please carry on.

Get back on your meds WMM.. you're going over the top on this.. my comment was made in reference to all smokers as a general group with an attempt at metaphoric humor thrown in.. obviously this is a subject near and dear to your heart and the humor was lost in translation.. and in your nicotine delirium your response is to mount an attack on me personally.. to be honest I expected more from the WMM I used to know.. so here's my suggestion.. rather than distract others who have genuine interest in this thread it would probably be better that you just send me a personal message.. so sit down and relax.. have a couple of ice cold Jager shots.. smoke a pack or two.. lick an ashtray.. then fire away with both barrels.. I can take it..
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:34:40 PM

maryteresa wrote:
More than 50 years ago now, as a young Medical student I did a two-month hospital residency under a Thoraxic Surgeon who daily did cardiac surgery, opening up the chest cavity to gain access to the heart &c. This meant temporarily deflating the lungs.
Lungs of children were beautifully pink and perfect, whereas the lungs of old smoker patients were visibly mottled with black stains, puckered and deformed. On seeing this I resolved never to touch tobacco in any form....not that I had up till then.

Smoking stinks, of course and even following someone walking down the street smoking gives one the whiff of Death. My job is to operate on peoples' mouths and daily I come into very close proximity with habitual smokers. Needless to say the face mask I wear helps minimise the stink from their breaths, as their mouths are like the bottom of an ashtray.....and they have to live with it.

Detecting oral cancers directly caused by pipe smoking keeps one always vigilant. I have recently lost an esteemed and clever colleague, a life-long pipe smoker who in retirement failed to detect esrly changes in his own mouth, announced that he was having to have a 'Block Dissection' of his mouth, tongue & neck to deal with an oral cancer, but he only survived one year.

Few smokers retain their upper back teeth beyond the sge of 50, as the passage of hot gasses daily past the palate causes progressive degeneration and loss of the supporting bone there and the teeth loosen & give trouble.
As a young seriously competative rower one of our chosen eight one year suffered considerable distress after pieces of high-pressure training. It transpired that he was secretly smoking and he lost his place in the boat. Smoking produces carbon monoxide gas which is inhaled, and that is a known respiratory poison.

M.

This was a thought provoking post. Well done.
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 11:54:16 AM

About a month ago, I'd have said it was ok. Now that I've given up, however, I say it's bad. I gave it up at the start of the year for about a month and then took it back up, until about 3 weeks ago. It wasn't until just now that I realised just how much it was affecting me - blocked sinuses, inability to exercise without being out of breath and even my sex life was being affected. Now that I've quit and intend to stay quit I notice that I feel happier, I can breathe easier, I can taste my food better and (if this isn't tmi, but it may help those who are trying to give up) my erections are stronger, so I actually now come down on the side of bad.

I don't wish to encourage every smoker to quit - it's your choice but life smoke free is better, in my opinion and trust me, you won't appreciate that until you actually give up.
Ruthie
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 11:44:37 PM

My guess is bad.
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 8:33:50 PM

Nothing good can come of smoking.
Yes it is a small amount compared to what factories and cars put out, but the small amount that the cigaret leads to larger amounts. Also you not just talking about one person smoking there are MANY people who smoke SEVERAL times a day.
Milik_Redman
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 8:44:50 PM

I think it's been proven that smoking is hazardous to your health. So are eating cheeseburgers with fries. So is driving in California. So is Skydiving. Working in heavy industry, construction and crab boats could get you killed. Borrowing money from guys named Mario is dangerous (that's what I heard!). Playing sports professionally or as an amateur can lead to brain damage from concussion or paralysis.

One more thing that is dangerous is being a holier then thou health nazi who woke up one morning and decided he was capable of making decisions for milllions of other adults who, by the way, don't give a rats ass who he is or what the fuck he thinks.

Fact, we will all be dead in a hundred years. Why don't they just let people decide for themselves how they want to spend the days they have left.
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 9:00:00 AM

Milik_The_Red wrote:
I think it's been proven that smoking is hazardous to your health. So are eating cheeseburgers with fries. So is driving in California. So is Skydiving. Working in heavy industry, construction and crab boats could get you killed. Borrowing money from guys named Mario is dangerous (that's what I heard!). Playing sports professionally or as an amateur can lead to brain damage from concussion or paralysis.

One more thing that is dangerous is being a holier then thou health nazi who woke up one morning and decided he was capable of making decisions for milllions of other adults who, by the way, don't give a rats ass who he is or what the fuck he thinks.

Fact, we will all be dead in a hundred years. Why don't they just let people decide for themselves how they want to spend the days they have left.

I agree with you on this. When I stop agreeing is when their choices bleed over into everyone else's choice to not smoke. To not want to pay for the smokers health problems that smoking results in.
TastyMissPT
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 2:25:31 PM

If you have your face between my legs and do it properly, my sweet pussy "smokes" when you are done. You all would love it!!!!!!!!!!
blazestcyr
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 3:30:57 PM

lived around smokers my whole life

i dont mind the smell...& i sooo get it why they do.

& even though my mother died a horrible death from lung cancer...

i have ZERO right to decide where/what/how a person can smoke or not

however on that same note...they cannot sue for something that will possibly kill them...

so let the smoker's have the right to do what they will...
Milik_Redman
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2012 4:20:45 PM

chefkathleen wrote:

I agree with you on this. When I stop agreeing is when their choices bleed over into everyone else's choice to not smoke. To not want to pay for the smokers health problems that smoking results in.

That is valid. However, where does the line get drawn? Yes, smoking is a behavior that causes Heath issues. As I pointed out above though, it is hardly alone in that way. So do we single out smokers for their destructive habit or do we also include the obese, drug users, unsafe sex practioners, poor drivers, extreme sport enthusiasts etc?

To me the devil always lies in the single detail. Who gets to choose and who gets to be made the example of?
bat
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:02:55 AM

This say's it all....Enjoy ;) LMFAO Regaeman Man

Infinite Love IS the Only Truth...Everything else IS Illusion!

http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/my-own-slow-ride.aspx

Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:01:16 PM

I smoke and I think it sucks that smokers can't smoke in bars anymore. Me and slit of my friends like to smoke while they drink.
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2012 9:57:04 PM

Bad and good. Bad for the smoker and good for non-smokers like me. I grew up in a home with smoking parents so the act doesn't bother me. Don't care for my kids be be around it but I can pretty much control that. I say smoke 'em if ya got 'em. Keep paying the taxes that go with it. I really don't want to help make up the difference if they ban it completely.
JessicaX
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:03:09 AM

Bad. I don't mind if someone wants to smoke IF they can find away to do it where 1)no one else will be subjected to their second hand smoke and 2)I don't have to pay one single penny extra for health care because they chose to smoke. Until then, BAD.

WellMadeMale
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:00:21 PM

Warlock wrote:
Get back on your meds WMM.. you're going over the top on this..

to be honest I expected more from the WMM I used to know..

I can take it..

Now I'm somewhat curious (although it has taken 5 weeks later for me to revisit this thread).

Who did you used to be on Lush, Warlock? You make it sound like we're old internet buddies. Is this you, TheDriver? Or Carolyn/Mark...or (gasp) Ali ?

Come'on... Spill~ Anxious

Most intelligent people are introspective and doubt themselves while many fucktards are proudly over-confident. - a tip of the hat to Charles Bukowski
Alpha_Omega
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:28:53 PM

I don't smoke, but I won't persecute binky
nazhinaz
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 12:35:58 AM

Let smoking be left to personal choice after one is fully and appropriately informed about its accompanied hazards.
Still some one smokes, his/her choice.
But surely one has no right to endanger the surroundings and environment.
22rob22
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:33:38 PM

OK Firstly ban smoking make it illegal and take away my right to smoke ... thats fine , go ahead.

whats gonna happen when i cant go to the shop and buy my cigs? I`ll go get them from the dealers ( prob the same ones who deal drugs )
goverments go on about the health issues with cigs just now , what about when they are illegal? what will be in them then? what will the health
issues be then? the dope dealers gettin even more money and the goverment gatting nothing.

I`m sure i`ll be corrected if i`m wrong but i`m from Scotland and i`m sure its the same everywhere but is there not action groups set up to legalise drugs? and one of there main points is that they could regulate the drug and have more control on the contents of the drug for example not adding cheap and even more dangerous substances to make more money from it?
Surely banning smoking is going to make it even more dangerous

Another point... we smokers are being accused of neglecting OUR bodies and costing health authorities millions every year.... fair point....but excuse me i work bloody hard and pay my taxes . If your car has broken down on the motorway and is freezing and pouring down with rain and the recovery driver pulls in , hitches your car to his truck and you are sitting in his warm truck and he gets in and you smell the "filthy foul smell" of his cig he had 15 mins ago and it bothers you, then get to fuck out his truck and then complain, don`t wait till the next day when your home safe and warm!!!! BUT on the same hand he should NOT be smoking while in the cab of a vehicle the same as a taxi , I do agree with the smoking ban in confined public places but NOT in open public places . If i`m smoking and you sit near me and my smoking bothers you then i`m sorry but thats just tough you can go else where YOUR choice. I`ve got rights too!

And what about these "Trill seekers"? how much do they cost health authories ect?
Take hill walkers for example. i hear it once of twice a month that a walker has gone hill walking and not returned home. Mountain rescue are scrambled as are police ambulance and RAF rescue . How much does all this cost? millions every year and the cause? people not going prepared , not taking adequate clothing not checking the weather ect . A lot of them fall and injure themselves ....is this there own fault are they labeled as neglecting there bodies NO but they know the risks they cost the tax payer millions

I work as a driver i have a different co worker each day (2 in total) one smokes the other doesn`t , i smoke about 10 cigs while working when i`m with the one who smokes , when i`m with the one who doesn`t i don`t smoke in the van but i still smoke 10cigs i appreciate his right not to breathe in my smoke and he appreciates my right to smoke and thats the way it should be. People in general are just looking for something to complain and moan about because their lives are so boring and thay have nothing better to do. The amount of pollutants that the western world have pumped into the atmosphere in the past 100 years through development ect is rediculous now goverments are trying to use this to their advantage and tax us again and call it green tax but thats another subject.

And finally....i see a few comments fron non smokers here who enjoy weed? lmao
but the comment that annoys me is the one who compares smoking to rape.....get a fuckin grip even if a smoker pinned a woman down and blew smoke down her mouth forcfully it would not even be a scratch on the surface of rape .
and that is my point....yes smoking is bad but its effect on others is a point that some ppl are just moaning about and exagerating.

ONE WORD...........COMPROMISE and every one should be happy .....aye right Brick wall
blah5 blah5 blah5
beinggood
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 11:28:54 PM

I smoke..yes it is bad for the health...I am addicted but at least my kid and grandchild do not. I only smoke in one chosen room and has a door I close...If you enter then you are in my section and you made your choice.....I wish i had never started, but i have tried to quit many times...

doing my best to be good..
Dani
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 11:45:24 PM

Bad.