Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Past or present tense? Options · View
hollybush
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:33:58 PM

I know most stories are written in the past tense. I'm curious what most of you think of stories written in present tense, especially from the first person view?

I wrote my first story here, Chloe's first spanking, in the present tense. My idea was since I was the narrator, I wanted the story told as if it was happening real time. I wanted the story to unfold simultaneously for my characters and the readers to give it a sense of unknown and suspense.

But after I published the first two parts, I'm beginning to regret my choice. I feel like it's somewhat awkward to write in the present tense at all times. I've been considering going back and change them to the past tense so it'll be easier for me to continue.

Do you guys think it's worth the effort? What do you prefer or if you don't care either way?
nicola
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 1:26:33 AM

I think it's very hard to maintain, as you've found out.

This thread might be of interest: http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst4989_Which-Viewpoint-do-you-use-and-why.aspx icon_smile
Catnip
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 9:19:29 AM

Oh, it sure is hard.
It's up to you if you want to change it or not.
It will be a challange no matter how you do it.

Milik_the_Red
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:03:24 PM

I usually write in the 3rd person omniescent in the past tense. For me at least, this let's me exlore all the charactors in a way that is hopefully easily digestedable for the reader. I am currently working on one that will be in the preasent tense and it is a differant experiance. I think that unless the writer is seeking a specific mood, the past tense is the way to go. If it were me, I'd go back and make changes just for continuity sake

Surely silence can sometimes be the most eloquent of replies
- Unknown