Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Creativity and Mental Illness Link. Options · View
Shylass
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:55:46 PM

This comes as no shocker to me, I've been saying it for years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19959565

Sorry, I can't post any quotes, I'm on my Shiny, and it's only letting me do the entire thing.

I especially noticed through my life that people with schizophrenia are often very gifted at drawing and painting, and actors/actresses that I know are prone to various forms of depression and OCD.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting enough to share.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:16:04 PM

Yep, I always knew I was a madman. I definitely have a touch of OCD - for example when I'm shopping, everything must be on the conveyor belt in a certain order and the next customer sign has to be perfectly straight, people look at me all funny-like, but that's the way I am. I do definitely get bouts of being down, but I don't think I'd go so far to say that I have depression, though if I did, it might explain why I can act so well - I've been told that I'm "a natural actor", so I'll just take that as face value.

Even though I've read about this theory before, it still makes me stop and think. I know several creative types who also suffer from mental illness, in varying forms. Maybe there is something in the brain that can only be unlocked by being mentally ill, cruel as that may seem.
overmykneenow
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:20:11 AM

It should be remembered that people with REAL mental illness and not just a bit of personality, usually have a lot of time on their hands to explore their creativity. I too know some very talented artists who you might term mentally ill, they've never held down a job and so they've been able to explore their creativity between bouts of suffering from their illness. Sadly, if they didn't suffer, they'd have a proper job, pays bills, merge into society.

It would be interesting to see the actual figures in this study, I'm still to be convinced that mental illness sufferers occupy a SIGNIFICANTLY higher proportion of creators/performers. What it does highlight to me is that mental illness affects a much higher number of people in general than we at first assume.

Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:28:42 AM

This is something i've always accepted as being a fact when applicable to a person with a bipolar disorder. (manic depression) Here's a few paragraphs and a wiki link I found. I don't know how accurate it is but it makes for interesting reading. It seems different types of mental disorders may influence creativity in different professions. A great percentage of mental disorders are influenced by a chemical imbalance and/or some type of brain damage. I've always thought it possible that if one function of the brain is reduced, another function may be heightened as applies to a person who has lost their sight but gains an increased sense of smell and/or hearing. I do have a relative with bipolar so it is something I've been interested in from time to time (This is just my My 2 cents worth, doesn't make it right)

Quote:
A study looking at 300,000 persons with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or unipolar depression, and their relatives, found overrepresentation in creative professions for those with bipolar disorder as well as for undiagnosed siblings of those with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. There was no overall overrepresenation, but overrepresentation for artistic occupations, among those diagnosed with schizophrenia. There was no association for those with unipolar depression or their relatives.

Quote:
Another study involving more than one million people, conducted by Swedish researchers at the Karolinska Institute, reported a number of correlations between creative occupations and mental illnesses. Writers had a higher risk of anxiety and bipolar disorders, schizophrenia, unipolar depression, and substance abuse, and were almost twice as likely as the general population to kill themselves. Dancers and photographers were also more likely to have bipolar disorder.

Quote:
However, as a group, those in the creative professions were no more likely to suffer from psychiatric disorders than other people, although they were more likely to have a close relative with a disorder, including anorexia and, to some extent, autism, the Journal of Psychiatric Research reports.

Quote:
Bipolar disorder

There is a range of types of bipolar disorder. Individuals with Bipolar I Disorder experience severe episodes of mania and depression with periods of wellness between episodes. The severity of the manic episodes can mean that the person is seriously disabled and unable to express the heightened perceptions and flight of thoughts and ideas in a practical way. Individuals with Bipolar II Disorder experience milder periods of hypomania during which the flight of ideas, faster thought processes and ability to take in more information can be converted to art, poetry or design.

Creativity and psychopathology

Many famous historical figures gifted with creative talents may have been affected by bipolar disorder. Ludwig van Beethoven, Virginia Woolf, Ernest Hemingway, Isaac Newton, Judy Garland and Robert Schumann are some people whose lives have been researched to discover signs of mood disorder. In many instances, creativity and psychopathology share some common traits, such as a tendency for "thinking outside the box," flights of ideas, speeding up of thoughts and heightened perception of visual, auditory and somatic stimuli.

Creativity and the emotions of bipolar disorder

Many people with bipolar disorder may feel powerful emotions during both depressive and manic phases, potentially aiding in creativity.[20] Because (hypo)mania decreases social inhibition, performers are often daring and bold. As a consequence, creators commonly exhibit characteristics often associated with mental illness. The frequency and intensity of these symptoms appear to vary according to the magnitude and domain of creative achievement. At the same time, these symptoms are not equivalent to the full-blown psychopathology of a clinical manic episode which, by definition, entails significant impairment.

Positive correlation

Several recent clinical studies have also suggested that there is a positive correlation between creativity and bipolar disorder, although the relationship between the two is unclear. Temperament may be an intervening variable.

OOPS forgot to leave the link... Creativity and Mental Illness

Mazza
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:11:42 AM

http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst21511_Mental-health.aspx

There's a little about this here... Old thread...
Guest wrote:

It seems that the line between genius and mental health is very often blurred. I mean, from great personal distress/turmoil/unbalance can come amazing things.

One of my favourite performers was Peter Sellers. He was an incredibly talented and funny man, but beset by personal demons (many of his own making).

In this performance/interview, you can see that he is quite clearly in a 'manic' state.

It was funny, I was thinking about this on the drive home this evening and thinking about some of my favourite actors, authors and artists and how they often struggle with their mental state.

That can be a temporary thing or a more permanent one.

Think of someone like Vincent Van Gogh for example, his works are easily some of the most recognisable today, even over 120 years since his death at the age of 37 (he died of a gunshot wound, which it is believed was self-inflicted, although no weapon was ever found).

He was spurned often in relationships and also in love and took it very badly. It sounds to some degree that he suffered from mania (and certainly there was religious mania throughout much of his life) - in fact, it reads as though he became a bit of a stalker to the ladies and even friends and acquaintances in question; inflicting burns to his hand and famously cutting off at least part of his own ear, wrapping it in newspaper and asking a prostitute to keep it safe for him.

It is thought that he suffered from syphilis and he certainly suffered from an addiction to alcohol, specifically absinthe.

There's no doubt, in my mind, that he was a genius, however his daily struggle with mental illness made him a very intense person and he struggled to maintain any sort of relationship with anyone; family, friends, lovers, employees and in the latter stages of his life, he mainly kept the company of prostitutes in order to have contact with people in general.

So sad, his life, however, I wonder if he would have been the creative force had became after his death had he been more balanced? (of course, his frustration at remaining largely unsuccessful as an artist also seemed to fuel his depression). I doubt it...

I'll come back later, but yeah Daisy, sure is a fine line..
Frank
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:16:40 AM

tardAnxious thefinger Applause

Of all our inventions for mass communication, pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney

Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:42:32 AM

There are of course numerous examples of creativity and mental illness, many people who experience a mental health condition, such as BPD, when they are in either state (manic or depression) use this time for creative purposes and in some ways this has a therapeutic effect. Some of their best work occurs in these stages. As has been referred to in earlier posts there are lots of famous people who have had a mental illness and many famous people have stated they would, if given the choice, refuse to take a "pill" to "cure" his illness. I recently saw a list of famous people who have or would have been diagnosed as having a mental illness, and several of these were perhaps our most creative people of all time. I haven't included any names, suffice so say they are out there.

Also, if I understand correctly, Asperger Syndrome was only recently identified, in the 1990's I think.

Interesting topic nevertheless.
clum
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:27:27 PM

I'm a little confused by the article. Is it saying that those with mental health problems are more likely to have creative talents, or that creative people are more prone to mental illness?

I can't decide which of the two I would find to be more believable. Being only a moderately creative person with no documented history of mental illness, either of the contrapositives could hold true for me.

Hmm...

She Just Wants To Be

Third place entry in the Toy With Me competition.
crazydiamond
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:35:11 PM

clum wrote:
I'm a little confused by the article. Is it saying that those with mental health problems are more likely to have creative talents, or that creative people are more prone to mental illness?

I can't decide which of the two I would find to be more believable. Being only a moderately creative person with no documented history of mental illness, either of the contrapositives could hold true for me.

Hmm...

I agree, it's really making me PARANOID about my career choices and user name , is it a coincidence? Anxious

(not really, hee, hee)

Shylass
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:01:26 PM

clum wrote:

Hmm...

I think it's just saying that according to their research, they have noticed that many of those polled suffer from it in some form or another.

It doesn't mean people should worry or expect the worst, or wonder about because they don't fit in a scientist's box. It's just interesting observations, as far as I'm concerned.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Magical_felix
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:14:17 PM

I can't make two shits from this song but it's very creative and beautiful.